• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

Why the hell do they still use convex thumbsticks? Ugh, I absolutely hate that on every Playstation device. Convex thumbsticks with grips like the Microsoft 360 controller are so much bettter.

Elios83

SolidSnakex said:
It's very strange that they aren't listed. They obviously have a very close relationship with Sony.

They have already confirmed that they're working on the product. Riccitiello has already praised it XD

Replicant

neptunes said:
I don't think that will be the final design

I hope so. It looks amateur-ish at the moment. But then again Sony also designed PSPGo, which look like plastic toy. Hate that device's design.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Booda said:
The point of "how comprehensive the hardware is" is to provide nice long spec sheets for e-peen waggling. They're trying to compete with phones and the iPod Touch and the 3DS, but they just went for absurd brute-force over-engineering instead of thinking of ways to truly differentiate the system.

That level of comprehensiveness is itself a differentiation. No other device seems to be as well positioned to accommodate as wide a cross section of mobile content as this thing. We haven't had such a handheld in a long time. And just taking the device on its own, I saw 2 or 3 unique things about the hardware that make it quite interesting. Unlike PSP it's quite differentiated from the home system in terms of control possibilities too.

edit - side note, the white one looks so good. i hope that's available from release.

Suzzopher

SolidSnakex said:
It's very strange that they aren't listed. They obviously have a very close relationship with Sony.

Indeed. I don't understand how they haven't thrown their hat into the ring yet. And they make PSP games still.

Jay-B said:
Wait, so if the NGP has BC, does that mean I'll be able to transfer every game I bought from the PSN (I have a Go)? Would be really cool.
Peace Walker with 2 sticks. do it kojima

Yes, PSP games bought from the PSN store will be playable on your psp2

clav

daoster said:
One thing I'm iffy about is 3G.

Can you play a Call of Duty type game on 3G (albeit on a portable) without lag? I dunno...
Never benchmarked the internet on a smartphone?

The latency is terrible. At best it's at least 100 ping.

brain_stew said:
Silicon wise that's an extremely conservative (and cheap) solution by Sony's standards. The silicon budget is much lower than the PSP's was at launch yet the PSP was a $200 device. Again its further confirmation that there'll be a sub $300 SKU. PSP BC is my biggest worry, a software solution looks very unlikely and including that hardware isn't cheap.

Wouldn't surprise me if the $299 SKU is WiFi only. And they already showed the Monster Hunter PSP game on the NGP.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SolidSnakex said:
THQ is also missing.

I'm guessing the list is incomplete since EA was one of the people talking up the PSP2.

Omiee

SolidSnakex said:

Also werent they the first ones to say they had a psp2 dev kit last year.

And why are people still bitching about the price, i get it the ps3 launched at 599 but why does that mean sony will over price this as well..?
Ps3 was expensive because it had bluray in it, a lot of people who actually know how much something like this could be produced said it can be done under 250, just look at the iphone 4 that is produced for 199.
i still think 299 is what the price will be.

nico1982

I like a lot - if you can say that by just looking at the specs - unfortunately the form factor kills it for me at the moment. I don't understand why they didn't take the PSP Go/XPERIA Play route.

Edit: well, looking at gibraton pic, it is way worse than expected if true.

amar212

Kazunori-yamauchi-gran-turismo-creator-portrait-photo-638x638.jpg

Flash media, two sticks, front and back cameras, and 4x more powerful than the PSP? Sony, you're KILLING me.

I cannot wait to have this device in my hands. When I unbox it, I may or may not be in possession of a giant erection. Price be damned, it's mine on launch.

daoster

Crakatak187 said:
There is Wi-fi option. Why does everybody overlook this?

One way they're differentiating from the 3DS is with 3G, you're online practically everywhere.

That's a moot point if the 3G is spotty or if the game is laggy on 3G. I won't always be somewhere where I'll get free Wi-fi (or even Wi-fi you pay for).

They can fit a huge battery in there. Should be able to play for a good long while. Not good for pocketing and music, but should be great as an eReader and web browsing device.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Augemitbutter said:
my life is complete.

this is all i've ever wanted as a handheld gamer. 2 analogue sticks, PSP compatibility and up to date graphics.

just need trophies now.....

It has trophies. Did you not just look at the screens?

LevityNYC said:
It's a portable game system folks. Good luck getting that thing in your pocket.

Who puts their DS in their pocket?

nico1982 said:
I like a lot - if you can say that by just looking at the specs - unfortunately the form factor kills it for me at the moment. I don't understand why they didn't take the PSP Go/XPERIA Play route.

See, I personally think the psp go was the single most uncomfortable portable I have ever used. It felt like it was designed for an eight year old to hold.

I don't care that it's a large system, as I wasn't exactly going to throw it in my pocket anyhow.

Nirolak said:
THQ is also missing.

I'm guessing the list is incomplete since EA was one of the people talking up the PSP2.

I'm sure that we'll hear something about it at GDC. Someone will ask TGS and EA about it. It's probably just a mistake that they weren't included.

Vagabundo

gofreak said:
That level of comprehensiveness is itself a differentiation. No other device seems to be as well positioned to accommodate as wide a cross section of mobile content as this thing. We haven't had such a handheld in a long time. And just taking the device on its own, I saw 2 or 3 unique things about the hardware that make it quite interesting. Unlike PSP it's quite differentiated from the home system in terms of control possibilities too.

edit - side note, the white one looks so good. i hope that's available from release.

The kind of design panders to the hardcore fetist - like my fellow neoGAFers - but not so much to the casuals.

Having such a confusing array of control methods and buttons will put people off. This also suffers from not being portable enough, like the previous PSP.

The differences between this and the PSP1 are minimal from that standpoint.

I do think it will do better than the PSP1, but not 3DS levels of better.

ConradCervantes said:
Flash media, two sticks, front and back cameras, and 4x more powerful than the PSP? Sony, you're KILLING me.

I cannot wait to have this device in my hands. When I unbox it, I may or may not be in possession of a giant erection. Price be damned, it's mine on launch.

4 times more powerful than a PSP? More like 40 times more powerful!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
HOLY FUCK that bubble home screen looks like it was designed by a kindergarten class. LOL Update that shit before release.

Jaagen

gibration said:
click for bigger pic

Looking at this picture, I can conclude that the the DSi and PSP-1000 are the best looking portable systems out there(iPhone 4 looks good, but there's something about the gloss that i don't like)

Edit: Since the specs fall in line with the rumored ones from that french blog a couple of days ago, is it then safe to say that the NGP'll have 768MB RAM(512MB+128MB VRAM)?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vagabundo said:
The kind of design panders to the hardcore fetist - like my fellow neoGAFers - but not so much to the casuals.

Having such a confusing array of control methods and buttons will put people off.

Hardcore-ers also like to play 'lighter' content, though. Having this level of capacity for all these kinds of content is very appealing IMO. PSP2 is undoubtedly a machine for core gamers - unapologetically so. They're targeting casual-gaming-only people in a very different (and clever) way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom