• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

Game Guru

That would be fucked, but I'm pretty sure Konami doesn't have the authority.

No, but Konami could force an update to make it unplayable. Quite frankly, everyone should just boycott Konami en masse until they get their act together or they go bankrupt. Including MGS5... It isn't like Kojima is going to remain at Konami once it's released even if he deserves to be supported.

Now I'm kind hoping for some way to unlock the nextgen consoles. At least at the end of the generation.

It's weird we need modchips/jailbreaks for historic preservation.

Google

I can't quite understand why so many people in this thread are losing their shit over the fact that a free demo cannot be accessed anymore.

Darknight

Sony can't afford Konami.

I know it's jokes and all, but Sony really aren't in a position to buy Konami. I hope that they are able to work something out with Kojima and some of the employees though. It all seems like wishful thinking at this point though.
Im joking. I want someone to buy them and take Konami down. Cancel MGS5 while they are doing it. Purge all their IPs from existence Kojima style.

Can it be backed up to USB from one machine and put onto another with a different account?

Sadly this is where MS has sony by the balls. Backups on external drives is such an amazing feature.

Jawmuncher

I can't quite understand why so many people in this thread are losing their shit over the fact that a free demo cannot be accessed anymore.

Because it was THE demo. Game isn't ever happening so it's nice to still have a piece of it.
Especially considering how good it is.

Justified

Yea no. This is a demo. Even if this was released a few years ago, it would be digital. Couldnt have been possible on PS2 due to old hardware. Physical vs Digital has nothing with this. This is Konami just being extra assholes and stopping people from ever redownloading it.

Yup. Bought Brave Story new world PSP before delisted. Can be redownloaded to this day to my PSP and/or played on softmod Vita. (transfering from PSP to Vita)

That's because the publisher is not expiring the license. If they want to, they can. As in this situation

Mikey Jr.

Right!

Its just a demo of a full game that has been made by Kojima and Del Torro......

Ohh wait.

But its a free demo. You want physical demos?

Good thing I have it dled still tho

Sure. It was pretty damn spiffy. Having an actual copy of something this unique, impressive, storied and lost to legality forever, would be amazing.

I own singles, EP's, single pages of comic book art, previews etc. I also own Ground Zeroes, and a lot of demos from the past.

I have it downloaded too.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Do they actually do full backups now? I was under the impression they didn't.

More importantly, uhh, are they smoother/more reliable than on PS3? Because if not it's still going to be a very ugly sight, but if it actually works really nicely then I won't be too fussed, even if it requires grabbing an external hard drive that won't be monopolized by one system (Wii U.)

Its better. More straight forward. If possible format the storage to exFat. Its supposed to make backing up/restoring faster.

Elios83

This totally sucks, I still have the demo installed...I don't understand such hate and angst that Konami is having for anything touched by Kojima.
They're treating the matter as a divorce among two people which is totally unprofessional for a company.
There really must be personal issues among Kojima and some big people at Konami's management that escalated.
At this point I fear that Kojima won't be allowed to promote MGSV personally in any form.

Still in their flawed logic Konami has a point, the project is cancelled, they don't want to be associated with Kojima anymore in any form because he won't be part of the company's future, under these circumstances there really isn't any reason to keep up the demo of a cancelled project which just serves as a reminder of what happened.

Fisty

Thank christ i redownloaded this as a precautionary measure. Konami, this is stupid, blocking existing owners from redownloading accomplishes nothing except contempt from fans.

weevles

Does Konami have to pay Sony to keep the download on the server? If so, there's your reason why.

For Konami, goodwill isn't worth the extra yen.

Nobody will give a shit if it's just like any other free demos. P.T. is possibly one of the most horrifying experience in video game and now it is gone forever.

Broank

Expected, but man what a bunch of assholes.

Kinda have to get MGSV but I'm not getting the collectors edition or anything (not that I could if I wanted to since Konami is incompetent and I could never find it availible anywhere)

Google

Probably because it's the only item to ever be completely scrubbed from an account.

I appreciate that - but it's not a thing anyone here can lay claim to. It was a free service provided by a corporation. I'll let the Konami apologists defend the crown but the mass hysteria over this in the thread is a little frightening.

antibolo

Banned
I can still download it on my Japanese account! Downloading it as we speak!

EDIT: Screenshot
45GO2w2.jpg

Eusis

Yeah I was about to say, he's prt of the social team which is on lockdown now so if he isn't already gone I'm sure his days are numbered. Poor guy.

All my rage, Konami.
Yeah, I'd very likely suspect that he's more directly screwed than the rest of us and if anything to pity him greatly. Kind of an inverse of when some of the Xbox staff posted here, who well intentioned or not at least had a likely well paying job in an area they loved and was secure, whereas he may well be thrown out the door wrapped up in red tape and disappointed the company he wanted to work for is now becoming something completely different from what he liked before.

Yarbskoo

Yea no. This is a demo. Even if this was released a few years ago, it would be digital. Couldnt have been possible on PS2 due to old hardware.

You say that like physical demo discs haven't been a thing in the past. I've got one right here in my room, Monster Hunter 3 for Wii. There's also one for Final Fantasy XII around here somewhere.

CHC

A) it's free, so clearly it's only being taken down to send a message, not because of any legal issue. Nothing would be lost by just letting it stay available.

B) the game is never going to come out, so there won't be more.

C) there is nothing else quite like it (I say this pretty objectively, I didn't LOVE the demo personally, but it's undeniably unique).

D) it's another item on the list of Konami's baffling decisions, none of which they have made any meaningful public statements about.

WillyFive

This is one of the main reasons why I hate digital... This kind of things never happen with physical... well at least I dont remember a case

Physical stuff has it's own problems that digital stuff doesn't have to worry about, such as disks getting scratched up and no longer working, and old save files being lost because the batteries on the cartridges ran out.

And of course, games are removed from stores with far greater frequency than in digital stores; needing one to resort to other non-publisher-approved avenues of getting the games (like flea markets).

Drencrom

Does Konami have to pay Sony to keep the download on the server? If so, there's your reason why.

For Konami, goodwill isn't worth the extra yen.

Hosting content on the store doesn't cost any money, they're just doing it to spite and stop people from playing it.

Nintendo did this with Four Swords on 3DS, and it was even worse because it's multiplayer so if your friends didn't get it within the window it is worthless for you even if you have it.

Physical stuff has it's own problems that digital stuff doesn't have to worry about, such as disks getting scratched up and no longer working, and old save files being lost because the batteries on the cartridges ran out.

And of course, games are removed from stores with far greater frequency than in digital stores; needing one to resort to other non-publisher-approved avenues of getting the games (like flea markets).

Hard drives can break just like discs can, but Konami can't kick my door down and take away my MGS2 demo disc.

zeroroute

Banned
I fucking KNEW this shit would happen!

I fucking knew it.

[U]This is going to be the rarest game of all time.[/U]

Not surprised either. English Mother 1 is probably the rarest though, probably like 4 copies in existence and I think 2 are locked up at NoA.

DJMicLuv

I can understand the delisting because they don't really want to promote a game that's never happening to new players who don't know that it's not happening. It's stopping the people that have already downloaded it from redownloading it that I don't get.
Maybe they could just remove the Silent Hills reference at the end and have it as a standalone 'experience'. It's exceptional and it would be a shame if new players don't get a chance to enjoy it.

Darknight

That's because the publisher is not expiring the license. If they want to, they can. As in this situation

Thats my point. Konami is going the EXTRA mile to be assholes and expiring the license. They dont have to BUT choose to do so. You cant really take this and be like "yea this is why the digital future sucks".

What Konami is doing is like an "anomaly". Normally its paid games getting delisted but still up to redownload by the purchaser. This is a free demo that is being delisted and licenses being expired. So seems Konami wants this project gone from gamer's state of mind so that its not compared to their own future SH project and to forget that Kojima dude. This is not something thats common.

Hosting content on the store doesn't cost any money, they're just doing it to spite and stop people from playing it.

Presumably it still has to be hosted somewhere, so it costs something. That said, the amount may be minuscule.

But if you have zero intent to do anything with the demo in the future, why wouldn't you shut it down even if it does cost you very little? I mean, for the positive PR I guess, but I think the only reason this is really bothering anyone now is because of how recent this all feels. Kojima, the cancellation of this game, and now the removal or what little is left of it definitely stirred the pot in what feels like a really unnecessary way.

Top Bottom