• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

So much for UWP as a prevention to piracty, apparently the game has been "crarcked", it requires W10 pro but it's fully playable rofl.

Oh Microsoft what are you doing :(

Where did you get this from? Are you referring to the eye patch thing when playing offline?

FuturusX

There was no promise that you would get the PC code at launch. That is just a thing in your mind. Logical thinking.

FTFY.

I mean...the PC version is finished (such that it is) and for sale right? So logically why wouldn't one assume that you'd get the free PC code at launch?

So much for UWP as a prevention to piracty, apparently the game has been "crarcked", it requires W10 pro but it's fully playable rofl.

Proof its been cracked?

If you're talking about the eye patch thing, Remedy says that can inadvertently happen if you try to play the game while not logged into your Store account.

Mifec

Where did you get this from? Are you referring to the eye patch thing when playing offline?

Proof its been cracked?

If you're talking about the eye patch thing, Remedy says that can inadvertently happen if you try to play the game while not logged into your Store account.

No I'm talking about editing windows setting in W10 pro and making a fake account then playing the game fully.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not allowed by gaf rules to link to cracksites or cracks so yeah.

For comparison, Dark Souls III is 60 euros on Steam. So yeah, QB is 10 euros more than a regular triple-A release on Steam.

Dark Souls 3 is 45€ as retail disc in Finland. Steam is already horribly overpriced in Euro regions, Microsoft just took the overpricing to a new level.

The premium price is the corn in this delectable shit sandwich.

Texture and sweetness, mmm mmm.

So, those of us who pre-purchased the Xone version digitally in order to also have the W10 version are literally not even able to add the game to our accounts, yet it's cracked.

Someone pass the hot sauce for this sammich o' poo.

No I'm talking about editing windows setting in W10 pro and making a fake account then playing the game fully.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not allowed by gaf rules to link to cracksites or cracks so yeah.

I've heard nothing about a technique like this working yet, and I like to think I keep up with this kind of thing fairly well.

If its legit, it's certainly going to be another big black eye for UWP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So we can refund this without issue? I was always worried about asking for refunds because I heard stories of people getting banned for that.

You're thinking of chargebacks. There isn't a single service provider in the world that bans for merely requesting a refund. Anywho, to quote myself:

You're actually warned when checking out that refunds are not provided, but I've not read of anyone on here being denied a refund for a Win10 game and I would assume this window of opportunity is still open given the state of QB.

I've heard nothing about a technique like this working yet, and I like to think I keep up with this kind of thing fairly well.

Looks like it is real and involves using developer mode. Obviously not going into details.

Finished the game, thought it was great apart from the bigger picture story stuff (I kinda predicted the ending and hoped I was wrong, but I wasnt)

Performance was all over the place. At times it was a silky smooth 60 fps 1080p at other times 30 fps or below for seemingly no particular reason - eg it would sometimes perform poorly in just a building interior with no enemies, then perform great in a more detailed environment. This is on a 32GB 4790K Titan X on ultra for everything except shadows dropped one notch (when I did that I thought it fixed the framerate issues but it was only temporary. I didnt notice a visual difference so kept it as is). I missed having an option to download video though since every now and then it got jerky (plus - is there a time limit their servers will provide the streams? can I play this 10 years from now?)

It really is a shame the PC performs so poorly, the game looks incredible once the crazy effects become commonplace. I felt that I had a superior experience to xbox 1, but not dramatically so - and being unable to keep 1080 60 fps is nuts for such a powerful PC in comparison to X1, especially given the bizarre low res/blurry stuff happening. the LOD is hilariously ineffective if you use the Left trigger a lot viewing environments, eg the trees pop between detail levels incredibly noticeably

Yes, whenever they pull the plug, the game will be unplayable on PC.

I brought this up in the thread about only being able to stream the videos on PC and no one bit. I'm surprised this isn't getting more of a response.

prag16

Banned
Yeah its amazing how some people are willing to swallow shit cause "If I don't support them they won't release more games =O" I really hate that way of thinking.
To be fair, I don't think that's the argument.

I think it's more like "I was really hyped for the game and I don't want to buy an xbone. It's a lousy port, but plays fine if I turn a few settings down. I really want to play this so I'll overlook the issues and I'll still have fun with it."

Not everybody is going to be principled enough to boycott the game until it's fixed. My hype got the better of me, and I have no regrets. It was my #2 most anticipated game of the year.

Yes, yes, I'm part of the problem, great game though. (Shitty port.)

harSon

Banned

It looks like there is a way of doing it, but you'll have a pirate patch.

Vuze

Yes, whenever they pull the plug, the game will be unplayable on PC.

I brought this up in the thread about only being able to stream the videos on PC and no one bit. I'm surprised this isn't getting more of a response.
Can't imagine it's impossible to rip the videos while streaming and locally remap them or sth. Somebody should try to run Charles alongside streaming an ingame cutscene and see what it picks up.

So pirates will be able to have a secure install (no hidden keyloggers) and a clean one (no registry entries). That's quite a few advantages of UWP right there.

Hahahahah wow going back to the "but UWP is so safe!" Comments will be hilarious now.

UWP is more secure in the sense that apps run sandboxed, so it can’t “screw” up your systems by doing something it shouldn’t.

It doesn’t prevent piracy and I believe developers still need to implement their own piracy measures.

Vamphuntr

Can't imagine it's impossible to rip the videos while streaming and locally remap them or sth. Somebody should try to run Charles alongside streaming an ingame cutscene and see what it picks up.

Since you can actually download the videos on Xbox One someone will probably find a way to extract them and make them works for the PC version.

mcrommert

Banned

Yeah uwp is only slightly harder to pirate than regular games...i don't remember anyone ever arguing that

JaseC

Since you can actually download the videos on Xbox One someone will probably find a way to extract them and make them works for the PC version.

I presume the game is programmed to source the videos directly via streaming, in which case it's not going to possible to use local videos because there's nothing to replace.

nynt9

I presume the game is programmed to source the videos directly via streaming, in which case it's not going to possible to use local videos because there's nothing to replace.

If it's not looking for encryption, you can spoof the source. If it is, you can just watch them on youtube/pirate them. They're literally just TV show episodes. You can probably follow a guide to know which one to watch based on your choices.

theultimo

Bck23L4.png

Pulled my internet connection and this comes up, it will let you skip

JaseC

If it is, you can just watch them on youtube/pirate them. They're literally just TV show episodes. You can probably follow a guide to know which one to watch based on your choices.

I'm aware. The context here is the game still being playable if the videos are unavailable.

Edit: Ah, I imagine people would just see the screen above.

I wish the community wouldn't have to go to these lengths.

GHG

Wait it's been pirated already?

giphy.gif

People can now eat shit sandwiches for free without having to worry about getting viruses. Somebody give Microsoft a Nobel peace prize.

Electret

Yeah uwp is only slightly harder to pirate than regular games...i don't remember anyone ever arguing that

Only slightly harder to pirate, but sufficiently harder to the extent that it changes which games appear on the platform?

I really don't understand why people didn't expect these things. DLL injection is a cool thing but not at all in line with the security that the uwp sandboxed model is going for. For games available on both platforms (steam and store) if you are interested in dll injection be it aa or anything else...you should go with the legacy win32 option. Perhaps there is something Microsoft can do in the future but I would not hold your breath.

The connection issues between amd and NVidia software and the games should be ironed out, new platform and all. The real point of this platform is first the security to the games that it allows. Microsoft would never bring gears or halo or any of their other platforms to windows and allow cross platform play without this. Also, I think we may see games that have so far stayed off of pc due to piracy and modification concerns appear due to this more secure platform.

And eventually this is the platform that will probably replace xbox and this is the first steps of that

Seems incongruous.

GHG

Only slightly harder to pirate, but sufficiently harder to the extent that it changes which games appear on the platform?

Seems incongruous.

It's like some people forgot what they said while they have been blindly defending this shit over the past few months.

Credit to Zedox as he's at least been sensible enough to stay away from this thread.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's like some people forgot what they said while they have been blindly defending this shit over the past few months.

Credit to Zedox as he's at least been sensible enough to stay away from this thread.

I think the poor fellas too busy making animated gifs of himself whilst waiting for next years //build.

s_mirage

Looks like it is real and involves using developer mode. Obviously not going into details.

If so, and this becomes common with their big titles, I'd be almost willing to bet that Microsoft will eventually lock developer mode out of non-enterprise versions of Windows. It's just one of the reasons that I can't support UWP: sideloading non-store apps requires developer mode, and I don't trust MS to keep it if their store gains traction.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I don't think that's the argument.

I think it's more like "I was really hyped for the game and I don't want to buy an xbone. It's a lousy port, but plays fine if I turn a few settings down. I really want to play this so I'll overlook the issues and I'll still have fun with it."

Not everybody is going to be principled enough to boycott the game until it's fixed. My hype got the better of me, and I have no regrets. It was my #2 most anticipated game of the year.

Yes, yes, I'm part of the problem, great game though. (Shitty port.)
This is OK, I was weak too a few years ago and bought a bunch of Steam games with SecuROM even though I swore I'd never do that. The problem is when you actually start believing the "You people should be grateful that these big companies are allowing you the privilege of paying for this horrible port" bullshit, like a couple of GAFfers did some pages ago.

Top Bottom