• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

There was no promise that you would get the PC code at launch. That is just a thing in your mind. Wishful thinking.

Maybe not, but I think any reasonable person would expect day-of delivery based on how every other cross-buy deal on any other platform works. It's just assumed functionality at this point.

At the very least, 7-10 days is ridiculous.

holygeesus

Banned
Maybe not, but I think any reasonable person would expect day-of delivery based on how every other cross-buy deal on any other platform works. It's just assumed functionality at this point.

At the very least, 7-10 days is ridiculous.

They are doing it to dissuade people from selling their PC codes on I'm guessing. Making people wait 10 days dilutes the demand for them somewhat.

They are doing it to dissuade people from selling their PC codes on I'm guessing. Making people wait 10 days dilutes the demand for them somewhat.

On the contrary, though, if I can get $30+ for that code I'll probably do it now to recoup costs, whereas if I got it at launch I would have redeemed it right away happily and started playing. As it is now I'm getting impatient and I'll probably just play through it on xbox this weekend if I don't get my code before that, so the PC code will hold far less value for me.

It would have made more sense just to do it like other cross-buy platforms - tie the Windows 10 version to the MS account that pre-ordered the game. It's how it works on PSN. COD Advanced Warfare is cross-buy for PS3 and PS4 so when I bought it, they just put both versions on my account.

holygeesus

Banned
Oh don't worry, they managed to do that in other ways anyway.

Indeed. I would still probably pay half the current RRP though. £50 here is clearly barmy and there is not a chance I would pay that for a 9 hour PC game with no re-sale value, without even considering it's other problems.

Lima

It would have made more sense just to do it like other cross-buy platforms - tie the Windows 10 version to the MS account that pre-ordered the game. It's how it works on PSN. COD Advanced Warfare is cross-buy for PS3 and PS4 so when I bought it, they just put both versions on my account.

And it has been explained countless times that the Windows 10 store doesn't support such functionality and it will come in the threshold update in the summer. Why do you think they are doing this code business in the first place? Because MS likes the extra work this causes?

Tying the digital PC product to ones Microsoft account on which the console version was purchased would have solved everything.

And if they can't do it this way, ensure codes are out day 1.

No excuse for this. Absolutely none.

There was no promise that you would get the PC code at launch. That is just a thing in your mind. Wishful thinking.

I can't believe there are defenders for this practice. Unreal.

Tying the digital PC product to ones Microsoft account on which the console version was purchased would have solved everything.

I don't think he was defending it. Just stating the facts. Just had to read the fine print. Especially when it comes to Microsoft.

Lima

I'm not defending this. I'm explaining why they made this decision. The store simply doesn't even support what you are suggesting.

Also I guess I'm not overly critical of this because people should be happy they can play it at all on PC. Your other options are not playing the game at all or buying a $300 console for it.

It truly is baffling. It's like Stockholm syndrome.

You, as the owner of the product, deserve no absurd special treatment. Stop being so cruel to the poor defenseless corporations just trying to serve you in any way they can. I'm sure some poor intern is working tirelessly to hand write and mail each and every PC code.

El Sabroso

I'm not defending this. I'm explaining why they made this decision. The store simply doesn't even support what you are suggesting.

Also I guess I'm not overly critical of this because people should be happy they can play it at all on PC. Your other options are not playing the game at all or buying a $300 console for it.

they can, and that was used for Killer Instinct crossbuy feature between XB1 and Windows 10 version, might be still be something different since what you share on Killer Instinct is DLC and not the base game tho

Also I guess I'm not overly critical of this because people should be happy they can play it at all on PC.

EP1XvQ2.gif

Okay. NOW I've seen everything on the internet.

Your other options are not playing the game at all or buying a $300 console for it.

But... but... but I bought an Xbox One. And QB. And Microsoft sold it to me by saying I'd also get the W10 version, with no mention of any delay.

You, as the owner of the product, deserve no absurd special treatment. Stop being so cruel to the poor defenseless corporations just trying to serve you in any way they can. I'm sure some poor intern is working tirelessly to hand write and mail each and every PC code.

You're right! I apologize.

Which is true. Your point is?

EDIT: Holy crap I was wrong! ONLY NOW have I seen everything on the internet!

Sir, a shit sandwich is indeed NOT better than no sandwich. What the hell is happening today?

2nd EDIT: I mean, I just cannot FATHOM this last bit.

A sandwich, MADE OF SHIT, is better than no sandwich. THAT is the argument being made by our friend Lima.

Lima, it's a sandwich MADE OF FECES. A Fecalwich! POOP SUBS are not better than NO SUBS.

The words "Sandwich" and "Shit" should never be placed together as being better to some other comparable thing!

Surely, can we seriously not all agree that no sandwiches are better than shit sandwiches?

Is that the state of discourse on GAF these days? Where someone will argue for shit sandwiches because they've gone so far down a road in an argument?

Let's join hands over the internet and proclaim, together, "No sandwich is better than a shit sandwich".

Seriously, if we can't do this, then what hope is there for any of us?

That would have been nice. With all the infrastructure they have in place, it's quite puzzling to think about why it wasn't just done this way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sir, a shit sandwich is indeed NOT better than no sandwich. What the hell is happening today?

A sandwich, MADE OF SHIT, is better than no sandwich. THAT is the argument being made by our friend Lima.

Lima, it's a sandwich MADE OF FECES. A Fecalwich! POOP SUBS are not better than NO SUBS.

The words "Sandwich" and "Shit" should never be placed together as being better to some other comparable thing!

Surely, can we seriously not all agree that no sandwiches are better than shit sandwiches?

Is that the state of discourse on GAF these days? Where someone will argue for shit sandwiches because they've gone so far down a road in an argument?

Let's join hands over the internet and proclaim, together, "No sandwich is better than a shit sandwich".

Hahaha, this made me almost spit out my water.

SPDIF

But... but... but I bought an Xbox One. And QB. And Microsoft sold it to me by saying I'd also get the W10 version, with no mention of any delay.

Well just to be clear they didn't mention a delay no, but they also didn't say you'd be getting it at the same time as the Xbox version. All they ever said was "Codes will be issued shortly after launch". Not that it makes much of a difference, but still, I think that's all Lima was originally trying to say.

I'm afraid that's another one of those "wait for x" things. The big Windows anniversary update in the summer is when that sort of functionality will be possible, with the Windows 10 store and the Xbox One store finally converging. That's also when you'll get access to game bundles, the ability to pre-order etc.

Lima

I was obviously thinking more along the lines of a sandwich with low quality shitty ingredients cause of course comparing this situation to a literal shit sandwich is hyperbole deluxe.

Well just to be clear they didn't mention a delay no, but they also didn't say you'd be getting it at the same time as the Xbox version. All they ever said was "Codes will be issued shortly after launch". Not that it makes much of a difference, but still, I think that's all Lima was originally trying to say.

This would have been a better way to put it, yes. And it's still shitty (no sandwich intended) of Microsoft.

I was obviously thinking more along the lines of a sandwich with low quality shitty ingredients cause of course comparing this situation to a literal shit sandwich is hyperbole deluxe.

What an amazing thread.

It is perfectly playable. It being a mess is the usual GAF hyperbole by the 1% PC mustard race but hey still 10x better than the Ketchup you get on Xbox One.

I mean, this is gold. Lima, you are quickly going from most frustrating poster in some time to perhaps one of my favorites of all time. Keep it coming.

Samaritan

I'm convinced that spending any time in this thread is actually shortening years off of my life, but it's become just too damn entertaining to stop reading.

It's a shame that GAF can be such an echo-chamber at times because the blow-back on this PC version is immense but I've seen very little mention of it outside these forums.

Lima

I
It's a shame that GAF can be such an echo-chamber at times because the blow-back on this PC version is immense but am seeing very little mention of it outside these forums.

Because outside of this forum people give no shit (ha see what I did there). They are just happy they can play an amazing game without buying a Xbox One.

Blobbers

Because outside of this forum people give no shit (ha see what I did there). They are just happy they can play an amazing game without buying a Xbox One.

How many technical threads about QB have you visited on these other forums though? This is like the third time someone is spinning the "Just play this awesome game, u guys, performance is but a miniscule issue" narrative in this very thread.

murgo

This made my day! I like you :)

nynt9

It is perfectly playable. It being a mess is the usual GAF hyperbole by the 1% PC mustard race but hey still 10x better than the Ketchup you get on Xbox One.

Man these posters just don't stop huh? One would think that they'd learn after the first or second batch of bans on this thread.

Thanks for telling us you'd literally eat shit if Microsoft served it though!

Samaritan

By participating in this thread, are we not all our own shit sandwiches?

Maztorre

Thank goodness Microsoft have deigned to give PC gamers this title that runs at a stuttery, scaled 720p when you select 1080p, in a format that is incompatible with software that could remedy this issue.

If they cannot follow basic standards expected by customers and provided by competitors, then they should be expected to be called out on it. Every other company rightfully catches heat on this forum when they fail to meet customer expectations, so enough of the "PC gamers should be grateful" garbage.

Tain

man, I just want to play this damn thing but it sounds like there's no sense in me buying it on XBO or on PC until gsync is working correctly.

So far in this thread we have the "hyperbole everywhere" guy already posting, we miss the "you gamers are entitled" guy and the "you are all spreading FUD" one and the trinity is complete.

PC owners that are complaining have generally spent much more on their system then the cost of an Xbone. They do this to have the best visual fidelity and overall gaming experience. Microsoft have recently been trying to woo this PC crowd by offering titles such as Quantum Break to such people on PC via channels such as Windows 10 store. To offer them equal or sub par software on those powerful systems compared to the Xbone is not satisfactory. Its not a surprise that Microsoft has been receiving such a back lash.

If Microsoft want to succeed in the PC gaming distribution sphere they have to provide product that is quite simply the best option to play a particular title over any other platform.

If you pay the most you expect the best.

theultimo

No they aren't buying it.

Honesty the sales are looking grim on PC because of the windows store situation. Most PC gaming has the mantra "if it's not on steam, it's not available" for good reason.

Samaritan

Really surprised Digital Foundry hasn't had anything about the PC version yet. Seems no outlets are really talking about it. Am I crazy?

That's the impression I've been under as well. I've seen basically zero mention of the PC version outside of GAF and some other forum threads.

Surprised? We didn't get the game until everybody else. Finished some video content but still need to do the write-up.

Holy crap. I figured reviewers would of received both versions a few days before release. Yeah I'm surprised. I guess twitch streamers and youtubers take priority over gaming outlets these days. lol

ethomaz

Banned
This thread.
Some posters.

blowminds.gif

How can anybody defend the actual situation of QB on PC? It is ridiculous.

The shit sandwich metaphor is great here because some posters really prefer to eat shit than nothing lol.

Top Bottom