• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions/Community Feedback Regarding Project Morpheus

Liberty4all

Banned
Please make use of this:

SharpShooter.jpg

There is some major potential here.

I had this one:

Please include a good rumble system in the headset.

I was watching a demo of Couch Knights, and I thought the concept of "AR in a VR" was perfect for Home. Imagine a game like Pokemon or Monster Rancher, where you spend most of the game collecting, breeding, and training your monsters. Go on epic co-op quests, the works. But when you're in Home, you can bust out your favorite monster any time you like and duke it out with your buddies.

paskowitz

Bamelin,

Adam Sessler brought up a very good point about VR and how it can isolate people within the vicinity of the person where the headset. Imagine the scenario, you are play a VR game on your Morpheus, completely immersed in the world both visually and auditory, you fail to notice you girlfriend or wife step in the door. You don't say hi or acknowledge their presence, because you just immersed in the game. This social distancing is very dangerous.

Just like headphones that completely block out sound are dangerous on city street, VR can be dangerous in a social type of environment. If you want to appeal to the casual market, this is going to be a serious messaging, marketing and software development issue. Even "the hardcore gamer" care about this, whether they realize it immediately or not.

From a marketing standpoint, showing multiple people, together, using the headset is going to be critical. Then have software that can support that type of interaction (so the marketing isn't total fluff). Maybe even having software where the PS Camera recognizes there is another person in the room with you and notifies you in game (this would be a toggle-able option). If you show someone playing in their own personal room (dorm room, etc) that is a different type of social setting. But showing a TV in a common area with other people and then someone wearing a Morpheus is not going to work. Hopefully, I am explaining this sentiment well enough.

dont just release it with 2 games as support make sure other devs are ready to cycle games out on a monthly basis for at least a year.

what kills these products is not lack of launch titles but the drought afterwards.

it would be better in the end run too delay it for as long as possible to make sure the content is there.

dont drown us on it's launch, spread it evenly.

Liberty4all

Banned
Bamelin,

Adam Sessler brought up a very good point about VR and how it can isolate people within the vicinity of the person where the headset. Imagine the scenario, you are play a VR game on your Morpheus, completely immersed in the world both visually and auditory, you fail to notice you girlfriend or wife step in the door. You don't say hi or acknowledge their presence, because you just immersed in the game. This social distancing is very dangerous.

Just like headphones that completely block out sound are dangerous on city street, VR can be dangerous in a social type of environment. If you want to appeal to the casual market, this is going to be a serious messaging, marketing and software development issue. Even "the hardcore gamer" care about this, whether they realize it immediately or not.

From a marketing standpoint, showing multiple people, together, using the headset is going to be critical. Then have software that can support that type of interaction (so the marketing isn't total fluff). Maybe even having software where the PS Camera recognizes there is another person in the room with you and notifies you in game (this would be a toggle-able option). If you show someone playing in their own personal room (dorm room, etc) that is a different type of social setting. But showing a TV in a common area with other people and then someone wearing a Morpheus is not going to work. Hopefully, I am explaining this sentiment well enough.

I see what you are saying. It's actually something I've thought about myself ... I would want to be able to share VR with my spouse.

Liberty4all

Banned
That's why they're mirroring to the TV. She'll be able to observe, and possibly participate.

The mirroring sounds promising. To be honest hough my spouse gets motion sickness even watching me play an FPS (although not if playing herself). I worry that "watching" VR on the screen will cause that same motion sickness to one watching on the TV screen, what with the camera tracking the VR player's head movement.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Maybe even having software where the PS Camera recognizes there is another person in the room with you and notifies you in game (this would be a toggle-able option).

This is a good idea as long as the user is "invited" to keep the ligths on in the room (which would be ok for him since you don't need to play in darkness when wearing the headset).

I do wonder tho if there is enough processing power to track the headset + DS4/Move(s) and still do face detection.

The mirroring sounds promising. To be honest hough my spouse gets motion sickness even watching me play an FPS (although not if playing herself). I worry that "watching" VR on the screen will cause that same motion sickness to one watching on the TV screen, what with the camera tracking the VR player's head movement.
Hmm. That is unfortunate. It sounds like you'll be playing JARVIS to her Iron Man. :p

Top Bottom