• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ramadan 2016 |OT| Ramadan is over, now EID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

While this isn't about the heat, there's a reason why there's always an increase in traffic-related deaths in Dubai during Ramadan. A lot of people rush home for iftar, too.

Not just that, they're Dizzy from lack of energy and dehydration.

Ah, I see. But I guess that is only for countries where the Islamic religion is the basic way of life, right?

True, but I imagine a good number of countries that have high temperature are predominantly Muslim countries.

Mista Koo

Started my first day without suhoor (nor proper meals the day before). Miscommunicated whether I wanted to be woken up and didn't set an alarm. My face when I woke up and realized it was morning:

PQK0y23.gif

Anyway ~4 hours to go and thankfully I'm not feeling bad. Ramadan Kareem everyone.

Ramadan Mubarak y'all!

May it be a blessed month. It's 12:30 here, and I'm sitting at my desk at work with my stomach rumbling, having to go into a meeting in an hour lol. Gonna be awkward to hear it rumble.

Just want work to whizz by.

How has everyone's lives been since Ramadan last year? Anything change? Everything largely the same?
You're from NY? I live in Brooklyn at the moment. Let me know if you want to meet up sometime.

Edit: We also do a 10 day sleepover in our local mosque but you have to provide ID and have someone who can vouch for you. Let me know if you're interested in that.
I'm in NY throughout the week but I'm from upstate. This week I can do a Tuesday or a Wednesday meetup for iftar if you're down.

I got back from tarawih last night at 12:15, went to sleep around 12:45, and woke up at 3:45 to eat.

My stomach always has issues adjusting to eating this early in the morning so I was in the restroom for a while....and I won't get to sleep before I drive to work. Sucks, maybe I'll take a nap during my lunch hour.

Going well so far. Got up at 4:15 and finished by 5:00. I am fortunate I got married last August. My wife took care of all the cooking. I washed the dishes.

Sch1sm

How has everyone's lives been since Ramadan last year? Anything change? Everything largely the same?I'm in NY throughout the week but I'm from upstate. This week I can do a Tuesday or a Wednesday meetup for iftar if you're down.

Everything largely the same. Still in school. Still in this major. Still in the same job. Same house. The only thing that's changed in my life is my PS3 hit me with the 80010514 error on Tuesday. RIP.

I will personally put all my personal wealth into the research on how to punch people through the monitors for all of you bastards posting food and drink pics in here :(

Turn images off - it's what I do every Ramadan. Partly because of food and drink related posts/threads, part because of some of the NSFW photos that tend to show up in different parts of the forum.

Everything largely the same. Still in school. Still in this major. Still in the same job. Same house. The only thing that's changed in my life is my PS3 hit me with the 80010514 error on Tuesday. RIP.
well you know what that means

so anyways yeah - is it okay to do ramadan but skipping ceri?

Sami+

Gotta pretend I'm fasting since I live with my parents, so I guess I'm kind of in this. Not Muslim anymore but I keep up my appearances which is really hard to do during Ramadan.

It's Sunnah. I wouldn't skip it.
it's sunnah, but it's not fard, right?
Highly recommended. Shouldn't be any reason to not get up for it if you're work or school time is standard. Plus, you'll then get to pray Fajr early and then get back to sleep.
my current reasons not to get up for it is that it means brushing my teeth twice more every day, losing more sleep than i already am, the time spending having to eat - having to actually get food to eat, and cleaning up after myself.

be a lot easier if i just don't wake up for it (although i know i'm sacrificing fajr as well)

Ramadan Mubarak everyone. We have our first from tomorrow. Wish everyone best wishes and prayers for a fulfilled and blessed month.

a9e763f713e7162ea0c7c44fdd544a0c.png

This is the temperature around my city and it's only going to get more dry ahead. Challenge accepted.

Sch1sm

it's sunnah, but it's not fard, right?
my current reasons not to get up for it is that it means brushing my teeth twice more every day, losing more sleep than i already am, the time spending having to eat - having to actually get food to eat, and cleaning up after myself.

be a lot easier if i just don't wake up for it (although i know i'm sacrificing fajr as well)

Not fard, no, but if you're sacrificing Fajr as well... Wake up. Just do it. Prepare something at night to eat in the morning if it's such a bother to fix something up for suhoor.

thuway

Ramadan Mubarak everyone! In Seattle it's from roughly 3:10 AM to 9:00 PM. I try not to watch TV or any thing during the day. What is everyone's plans for E3?

Not fard, no, but if you're sacrificing Fajr as well... Wake up. Just do it. Prepare something at night to eat in the morning if it's such a bother to fix something up for suhoor.
i get catered food at work, i'll see if they'll let me take it to go.

Aceun

Ramadan Mubarak!!

I binged on fatty foods this weekend, so I am ready to have a rock solid Ramadan.

Until E3 of course. I must eat fatty foods during E3.

KmA

Ramadan Mubarak everyone :)

Is anyone really physically active while fasting? I only got into weightlifing and gymnastics in August of last year (right when Ramadan ended) and I'm not accustomed to being active while fasting. I think I'll try to continue lifting throughout the month just take it a little easier than usual and I don't think I'll be able to do any gymnastics.

Ramadan Mubarak everyone. We have our first from tomorrow. Wish everyone best wishes and prayers for a fulfilled and blessed month.

a9e763f713e7162ea0c7c44fdd544a0c.png

This is the temperature around my city and it's only going to get more dry ahead. Challenge accepted.

Whoa

Surprised that Lahore is soooo hotter than Karachi in this period. Good luck, bro.

i got catered lunch from work I guess I can use this as ceri, then I'll get dinner at 7 and I can just eat that as iftar

EDIT: but as far as fajr goes i don't have a prayer rug and my cousin's apartment is pretty small.

jdouglas

Don't people actually gain weight during Ramadan because of gorging yourself at specific times instead of spacing out the meals?

Was it from discipline? I know that if you wait long periods of time between food, you actually consume more calories throughout the day if you just go by feel alone.
i'm not entirely sure, to be honest. that was technically the first time i was completely on my own; it could've just been my ceri/iftar diet. carrots and nuggets every morning and every night.

occasionally i went out to eat.

so for those of you who wake up ceri (i'm guessing that's all of you) do you brush your teeth 2x for the day? wake up for ceri --> brush --> eat ceri --> brush & wudu ---> pray & sleep -->wake up for the day + brush

that right?

I brush twice. Once before sehr and once after finishing. It's more hygienic. You are not supposed to brush after the time period for sehr ends.

I brush twice. Once before sehr and once after finishing. It's more hygienic. You are not supposed to brush after the time period for sehr ends.
that's what i was getting at, you brush twice which means you end up brushing twice more every day, because you already brush in the morning and night for the day itself right?

last year I

-barely touched the Qur'an.
-missed zuhr more than a couple of times.
-got a little depressed.
-went to go see inside out during my fast.
-bought a ps vita for $106.
-did a full 20 tarabis for maybe, 8 nights or less.
-fluctuated around 145 pounds.
-killed at least 5 spiders.

Honest question here from a non-Muslim: going to the movies during Ramadan is forbidden?

Septic360

Banned
Ramadan Kareem!

I usually have 3 cups of coffee a day.....so having some withdrawal symptoms at work! p_p

And TODAY of ALL days, herein the UK, the sun decides to shine....not a cloud in sight.

Y U DO DIS!

that's what i was getting at, you brush twice which means you end up brushing twice more every day, because you already brush in the morning and night for the day itself right?
Right, I brush at night as normal. Wake up for sehr and brush. Finish sehr and brush. I don't brush after waking up again. So three times a day. It's only one additional brush.

orochi91

Honest question here from a non-Muslim: going to the movies during Ramadan is forbidden?

The Haram police usually get miffed at the idea of watching a movie during Ramadan, but it isn't forbidden.

Frowned upon, sure, but not forbidden.

Ramadan Kareem!

I usually have 3 cups of coffee a day.....so having some withdrawal symptoms at work! p_p

And TODAY of ALL days, herein the UK, the sun decides to shine....not a cloud in sight.

Y U DO DIS!

Incidentally, it's rather nice and cool here in Mississauga.

Excellent timing, given how fucking hot it was the past several days :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom