• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

Sponge

Banned
That's the only thing stopping me from writing this off completely. Do we know that that's a completely original Mewtwo render?

I can't trace it back to any other render. I honestly thought it looked terrible at first glance, but the more I look at it the more it checks out.

Big One

Banned
That's the only thing stopping me from writing this off completely. Do we know that that's a completely original Mewtwo render?
shoot it seems like the picture int he OP is an all original render of Rayman as well. Definitely a lot of effort was put into it, if fake.

The power ups from Rayman 3 and Raving Rabbids plunger gun are also all possibilities, and there would probably be a Joy Mech Fight reference or two thrown in. There really is a lot they can do

Very true.
Hell, one could even incorporate some of the Rayman Arena (or Rayman "M") powers-ups/weapons into his hypothetical move-set; as a playable character he's definitely got the potential to be really fun, quirky, and unique.

Feep

Banned
A bunch of people asked Xander "The Announcer" Mobus on Twitter if he did voice stuff for Rayman, and he responded with "Is Rayman in the game?" A lot of people are taking that as the leak being debunked... but what sense does that make? He answered a question with a question. It's entirely ambiguous.
I would weigh in here but I like Xander and Nintendo too much.

Ahnez

Rayman's combat would work surprisingly well for Smash, Rayman 3 especially gives room for alternate moves

Edit: As for how it'd work, probably his punches would go a short distance from his body like in Rayman Origins/Legends

Rayman 3 abilities were soo odd.. :p

They would work perfectly lol

God, please don't let this be real. Some of his games are really pretty, but Rayman isn't nearly the caliber of third-party character that Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are in terms of icon status, relevance to Nintendo, or relevance period. Just feels like Rayman would really cheapen the roster in terms of third-party reps.

That said, all this does look uncomfortably real. I'm not totally sold yet, but it looks just legit enough to worry me...

Something looks off about that Mewtwo, though. Can't quite put my finger on it...

Dr. Buni

The more I look at Rayman, the uglier he looks to me.

I am not against the idea of Rayman in Smash, although it would be the second DLC character I don't give a damn about.

Surely there'd be more than one DLC character right? I'd love to have character packs but judging by other fighting games it looks like just one character per DLC.

Hopefully includes some stages.

Big One

Banned
God, please don't let this be real. Some of his games are really pretty, but Rayman isn't nearly the caliber of third-party character that Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man are in terms of icon status, relevance to Nintendo, or relevance period. Just feels like Rayman would really cheapen the roster in terms of third-party reps.

That said, all this does look uncomfortably real. I'm not totally sold yet, but it looks just legit enough to worry me...

Something looks off about that Mewtwo, though. Can't quite put my finger on it...
I don't buy this at all. The only other iconic character I could place on the level of Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man outside of Rayman is Bomberman and that's about it. Simon Belmont and Snake appeal to more hardcore gamers than anything even though they're iconic characters.

This is super fake, first of the 'Joins the Battle screen' is a direct lift of the Duck Hunt Dog one. Second the eyes are a big giveaway, they are not the same size. Third the Mewtwo render doesn't look at all like the render we got from the direct and honestly Nintendo generally makes Mewtwo look much more menacing in most artwork.

El Odio

Banned
If work on Mewtwo started slightly before the the game was released and they had some a previous moveset to work off of and he's still not out yet I have a hard time believing that they were also able to make a fully new character within the same amount of time without any sort of announcement.

Don't know how to but I remember people reverse searching Duck Hunt's render when that was leaked so but we only have the face of the model so it would probably be hard to find out.

This is super fake, first of the 'Joins the Battle screen' is a direct lift of the Duck Hunt Dog one..

It's the character unlock screen. It says "Joins the battle" for EVERY character

dark_pit_joins_the_battle__by_dumbass_mcgee-d87bj41.jpg

falco_joins_the_battle__by_dumbass_mcgee-d877n90.jpg

Neoxon

Would I be cool with playable Rayman, hell yeah, but I'm not sure if this is real. If the guy produces footage, I'll change my tune. But for now, #TeamFake.

Surely there'd be more than one DLC character right? I'd love to have character packs but judging by other fighting games it looks like just one character per DLC.

Hopefully includes some stages.
According to Spainkiller (who has been reliable before), Dixie Kong & the Chorus Kids had some considerable work put into them (as did Ridley, but we all know what happened to him). Likewise, data miners found evidence of not only a Rhythm Heaven character (presumably the Chorus Kids), but also stages for both Rhythm Heaven & Dr. Mario.

SCChappy

Banned
This is super fake, first of the 'Joins the Battle screen' is a direct lift of the Duck Hunt Dog one. Second the eyes are a big giveaway, they are not the same size. Third the Mewtwo render doesn't look at all like the render we got from the direct and honestly Nintendo generally makes Mewtwo look much more menacing in most artwork.

Every unlockable has the "Joins the Battle" tagline in the game.

botty

Banned
True enough. It's harder to believe that DLC would be leakable though, I mean with the vanilla game you had physical copies out in manafacture a good time before release. DLC would have to come from the horse's mouth itself.

it all has to go through someone before it can be released, which is why it's totally leakable.

Revven

I'm very convinced it's real because all the "evidence" against it is eerily similar to ESRB leak's "evidence" (aka reaching for things that are wrong about it to show it's a Photoshop edit when in fact they aren't).

Verryyyyy similar situation going on here and it seems like this would be something Sakurai would do (go against everyone's expectations by having Rayman as a playable character via DLC).

J@hranimo

Banned
The only thing that makes me sad just thinking about it, is that I feel if he got a stage it would only have music from Origins/Legends and not any other games :/

Roo

This is super fake, first of the 'Joins the Battle screen' is a direct lift of the Duck Hunt Dog one.
Try again...

Second the eyes are a big giveaway, they are not the same size.
Have you even played a Rayman game before?
it's a signature feature in modern Rayman

Third the Mewtwo render doesn't look at all like the render we got from the direct and honestly Nintendo generally makes Mewtwo look much more menacing in most artwork.

The "render" you got from the Smash Direct was actually an in-game model lol

NotLiquid

Origins has some hella music but if Rayman were in the game, could we also get some choice tunes from the previous Rayman games?

The Hoodoo Sorcerer's theme from Rayman 3 was my fucking jam. So was the FunkyBoard. And Reflux's theme... jeez Rayman 3 had a lot of underrated tracks.

Also can't forget Rayman 2. The final boss track from that game was boss. Sanctuary of Water and Ice also sounds like it'd fit right in Origins.

Rayman really has a wealth of materials to go from.

Effect

Even if it's real I really don't want anything from Ubisoft being playable in the game. I'm pretty much in a Ubisoft can go F themselves mode and been that way for a long time now. There are far better characters out there both Nintendo and third party that should be in the game over any crap from Ubisoft.

Sonic, Pac-man, and Mega Man are in the game. Simon Belmont is perhaps the only third party character that fits being apart of that group at this point.

I guess it's possible considering the trophies in the game, but man I would have preferred that Barbara character.

...I hate Raymans design.

Sorry if this is a double post or something.

There's no reason to even entertain this. It's a fake character select, the easiest thing to fake ever.

The only reason the ESRB leak was notable was we had ingame footage to corroborate the character select, as well as combat screens, UI confirmations, level selects to decipher, etc

There was just a lot more to work with.

Well, that would explain whyUbisoft put such amount of work in doing those 3D models for Rayman&Friends. Still, I'm a bit skeptical - we've seen lots of CSS fakes as of now.
The ESRB leak went a mile further by having combat footage and other pictures, so it was far more believable (before the video leaked)

So yeah, #TeamFake. And if it's real, then better for everynyan.

NimbusD

Sure, someone has access to Rayman DLC and only takes pics of the same rayman art over and over again on various menus instead of just taking a pic of him actually in the game.

Hatchtag

Banned
There's no reason to even entertain this. It's a fake character select, the easiest thing to fake ever.

The only reason the ESRB leak was notable was we had ingame footage to corroborate the character select.

It didn't for a fairly long time though. For the first few weeks, the ESRB leak had no ingame footage to back it up and just had CSS images posted to 4chan.

G0523

I don't buy this at all. The only other iconic character I could place on the level of Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega Man outside of Rayman is Bomberman and that's about it. Simon Belmont and Snake appeal to more hardcore gamers than anything even though they're iconic characters.

You do realize you don't HAVE to have Rayman in your roster? That's the beauty of DLC characters. You don't need to have them in there if you don't want to. If you feel uncomfortable having certain characters in a game, you don't need to have them in there. #TeamReal

MrBadger

shoot it seems like the picture int he OP is an all original render of Rayman as well. Definitely a lot of effort was put into it, if fake.

I can understand someone making a fake Rayman render. Some people are dedicated. Anybody remember this?

What I can't understand is someone going through the effort of making a fake Mewtwo render to go with it when they could just not include him on the roster and leave people to argue about why he's not there or if he'd just not be visible in the shot. I'm still on #teamfake for now, though.

Top Bottom