• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins/Legends are the current benchmarks for 2D platformers

ScOULaris

Every time I revisit either Rayman Origins or Legends (I own them both on console and Vita), I'm instantly smacked across the face with the realization that they are absolutely the best of the modern crop of 2D platformers. Hell, I'd be totally fine putting them among the top 2D platformers ever made. What a joy it is to play such gorgeous, joyful, tight, challenging games with loads of personality and content. I mean, seriously. 2D Mario is still great from a gameplay perspective, but these games feel to me how Mario games used to feel when they were more experimental from one release to the next. The 2D Rayman games have heart and soul and explode with creative energy.

large.jpg
large.jpg

Just watch this Legends trailer and tell me you don't feel energized and want to dive back into the game (or try it out for the first time).

The fact that I have both of these games on a handheld with an awesome screen and great controls is just a godsend too. This would've been a dream come true to have as a kid, a natural evolution from the kinds of experiences I was getting back then dialed up to 11.

ALSO, I've been lucky enough to play through the bulk of Legends on the Wii U in 5-player co-op, and I can confidently say that it's some of the most fun I've ever had with a platformer. In my view it does co-op platforming better than any other game on the market. Many of the friends I was playing with were in their late 20's at the time and were casual gamers at best, and they all loved the game. They were especially impressed with the music levels.

I know Ancel is busy with other projects now, but I reeeeaaally hope that we see another 2D Rayman. The series is way too good to end with Legends. There is so much potential with the UbiArt engine and the talented level designers who worked on these games.

I agree. I own Legends on every platform. Origins almost everywhere. The music is also so good. I wish Ubi would do another one like this.

Kinsei

Banned
Origins is great but Legends is just alright.

I think Retro's DKC games and Shovel Knight are the true benchmarks for modern 2D platformers.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I thought the level design in these games were pretty bad honestly, and nowhere close to the best modern games in the genre like New Super Mario Bros U, VVVVVV, Shovel Knight, Odallus or Tropical Freeze. They look amazing though, no doubt about that.

Origins is great but Legends is just alright.

I think Retro's DKC games and Shovel Knight are the true benchmarks for modern 2D platformers.

I think I would have to agree, Legends had some amazing moments like the brilliant musical levels but Origins was far more consistent.
Agree. Even better then any recent Mario 2D platformer. Yes, they are.

Can't agree, New Super Mario Bros U has far better level design.

danowat

Banned
I'm sure a load of people will be along soon saying you're wrong, and it's Ori that is the benchmark.

But I agree with you, the Rayman's are amazing platformers.

The Boat

No. They're very good, gorgeous and very inventive, but the level design, physics and multiplayer all fall very short of Mario's.

uh oh, OP has made a fatal GAF mistake! By starting the conversation with "*thing A* is the best!" instead of "*Thing A* is so good!", the thread will now be about "no, actually *thing B, C, D, etc* are the best" instead of "agree OP, *Thing A* is quite good!"

Talk to your kids about how to properly make GAF threads that could lead to fruitful discussions.

Before its too late.

Tizoc

Rayman legends is one my top 10 2d platformers ever
Really love the gameplay and it has a neat visual presentation

It is on sale on us psn atm too

They're god-tier games. I've replayed them both twice this year and own them on a stupid number of platforms.

Only Tropical Freeze comes even slightly close in recent years.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eh, NSMBU + Luigi outshines them, but they are still fantastic games worth playing.

Renekton

Controls are abit slippery/imprecise and the overall platforming feels loose compared to the 2D Marios, but I really really really like Globox.

Intel_89

I agree with Origins, Legends feels disjointed to me. I mean, it has great level design and it looks gorgeous but at the same time it just feels like a bunch of level packs with a very little sense of progression.
In Origins you would unlock new abilities and it had a proper ending, Legends is just level after level until the end of each world which had the runner stages (which are great by the way) and then it just ends.

ZeroX03

Banned
They're cool games. Beat them both. Heart and soul and creativity... sort of. Art direction doesn't always work for me even if UbiArt is a great engine. And the level design of the game is based around one specific perfect run for you to learn and memorize. Not a whole lot of variety or exploration, I think that applies more to Legends than Origins. Also why it translated to runner so nicely.

DK Tropical Freeze is the benchmark for 2D platformers and the GOAT. I also think NSLU did slippery speed and momentum better.

ScOULaris

uh oh, OP has made a fatal GAF mistake! By starting the conversation with "*thing A* is the best!" instead of "*Thing A* is so good!", the thread will now be about "no, actually *thing B, C, D, etc* are the best" instead of "agree OP, *Thing A* is quite good!"

Talk to your kids about how to properly make GAF threads that could lead to fruitful discussions.

Before its too late.

I'm sorry! I was just playing Legends again on my Vita this morning, and I let my enthusiasm get the best of me.

KHlover

Banned
In terms of ideas...agreed. In terms of execution...eeh. NSMBU is less inspired but overall a better game than both, imo.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not in gameplay and level design they aren't.

New Super Mario Bros U all day. Especially when you factor in the GOAT challenge mode.

Super Meat Boy is the GOAT 2D platformer though.

I'm sorry! I was just playing Legends again on my Vita this morning, and I let my enthusiasm get the best of me.

Its ok friend, this happens a lot on NeoGAF unfortunately. Instead of making a thread where people will read your OP and be receptive to it, you've instead made it a thread title that inspires people will rush past the OP, hit Reply, and say "um actually NSMBU/DKCTF/Super Meat Boy/VVVVV/Ori/some other bullshit is the best Rayman is actually not that good". What could have been an appreciation thread is now a competition thread. Damn shame, but a common mistake!

ramparter

Banned

Before its too late.
Lol true story though.

Piichan

Banned
They are fantastic, but I still prefer Tropical Freeze.

Edit: What Viewtiful JC said. Don't use hyperbole on Gaf buddy lol.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd just like to take this opportunity to once again say that Tropical Freeze is ridiculously overrated. The boss fights are annoying and the water world SUCKS ALL KINDS OF ASS. If Returns didn't have waggle to roll it would EASILY be the better Donkey Kong game.

It's better than Rayman Legends though, which is also ridiculously overrated.

I like them a lot, but they aren't the benchmark. Visually, yes. The game is stunning looking and a lot of care was givin to make such a beautiful game. But besides visuals the games lack the variety and level design of NSMB or DKC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Does anyone know if the PC versions of these games require Uplay? I've been meaning to get Legends on there, but if so will get it on a console.

Also...Shantae. As TToB would say...SHANTAE ROX!!. Get Half-Genie Hero!

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I really liked both Origins and Legends, but nothing beats NSMBU for me, along with Super Meat Boy.

I'll never get what people see in Tropical Freeze, I thought that game was ugly and boring. Maybe I just like the faster/snappier sort of gameplay when it comes to platformers, plus wall jumping, I love wall jumping.

ScOULaris

I'd just like to take this opportunity to once again say that Tropical Freeze is ridiculously overrated. The boss fights are annoying and the water world SUCKS ALL KINDS OF ASS. If Returns didn't have waggle to roll it would EASILY be the better Donkey Kong game.

I love Tropical Freeze, but those are both very valid criticisms. The boss fights, in particular, were really unenjoyable for me. They just dragged on for way too long and were difficult in a frustrating rather than fun way.

But Tropical Freeze's general level design was amazing. It had that flow-based structure (similar to the Rayman Games), but it was just a marvel in terms of visual flair and diversity.

ZeroX03

Banned

Hell no. Tropical Freeze stomps it in level design, art direction, gimmick levels, secrets. It's one of the few games where I liked the water level, in any genre.

Also, David Wise.

heringer

I have to try Legends, though Origins didn't grab me much. Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best 2D platformer ever made to me. I really have to play Tropical Freeze.

wbEMX

Origins was great. Hell, it was the first game where I got the platinum trophy because the game was so addicting. But Legends? It's probably the best 2D platformer since Super Mario World and my GOTY 2013, even better than GTA V. Legends truly was a glorious game.

The recent Rayman games feel like they're following the Sonic the Hedgehog style of platforming to me, sans the split paths. Though maybe that last caveat isn't even necessary any more, since not even Sonic is bothering with those as much these days.

I'm not sure if I'd say they are a benchmark or even that they raised the standards in a significant way, but they clearly have a lot of fans.

klier

Before its too late.

Too late. Tropical Freeze, NSMBU and Luigi U are all far, far, FAR better.

teeny

I prefer Origins over Legends, to be honest. The resurgence of platformers at the time has been amazing. Origins, along with New Super Mario Bros. U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight really are the peak of the genre so far.

It's going to be interesting to see if they can be topped going forwards (in a non-visual way).

maxcriden

Here we gooooo

Rayman Origins is the benchmark for momentum-based platforming. Origins > Legends.

DKCR/TF is the benchmark for momentum combined with skillful jumping-based platforming.

SMB3/NSMBU/NSLU is the benchmark for skillful jumping-based platforming.

Now we can all agree!

KHlover

Banned

Two words: Homebrew Channel
Code:
B For Pound Down-B for Blow B+Directional for Roll [Thomas83Lin] [NTSC, Game Ver. 1]
285C9E28 FBFF0400
025C9E2E 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
285CA4B0 FBFF0400
025CA4B6 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
*Wiimote Horizontal*

B For Pound Down-B for Blow B+Directional for Roll [Thomas83Lin] [NTSC, Game Ver. 2]
285CBE68 FBFF0400
025CBE6E 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
285CC4F0 FBFF0400
025CC4F6 0000012C
E0000000 80008000
*Wiimote Horizontal*

CController Hack EUR [crediar] [PAL]
C24A5410 00000020
38210050 7C0802A6
80B50060 48000041
80950000 7CA52378
90B50000 80B50064
4800002D 80950004
7CA52378 90B50004
80B50068 48000019
80950008 7CA52378
90B50008 7C0803A6
4E800020 70A40200
2C040000 4182000C
38C0012D B0D50186
38C00000 70A40800
2C040000 41820008
60C68000 70A40020
2C040000 41820008
60C60200 70A40040
2C040000 41820008
60C60100 70A40001
2C040000 41820008
60C60002 70A40002
2C040000 41820008
60C60008 70A48000
2C040000 41820008
60C60004 70A44000
2C040000 41820008
60C60001 70A40400
2C040000 41820008
60C60010 70A41000
2C040000 41820008
60C61000 7CC53378
60000000 00000000
043890F0 38A00000
0438666C 28000009

Every time I revisit either Rayman Origins or Legends (I own them both on console and Vita), I'm instantly smacked across the face with the realization that they are absolutely the best of the modern crop of 2D platformers. Hell, I'd be totally fine putting them among the top 2D platformers ever made. What a joy it is to play such gorgeous, joyful, tight, challenging games with loads of personality and content. I mean, seriously. 2D Mario is still great from a gameplay perspective, but these games feel to me how Mario games used to feel when they were more experimental from one release to the next. The 2D Rayman games have heart and soul and explode with creative energy.

Just watch this Legends trailer and tell me you don't feel energized and want to dive back into the game (or try it out for the first time).

The fact that I have both of these games on a handheld with an awesome screen and great controls is just a godsend too. This would've been a dream come true to have as a kid, a natural evolution from the kinds of experiences I was getting back then dialed up to 11.

ALSO, I've been lucky enough to play through the bulk of Legends on the Wii U in 5-player co-op, and I can confidently say that it's some of the most fun I've ever had with a platformer. In my view it does co-op platforming better than any other game on the market. Many of the friends I was playing with were in their late 20's at the time and were casual gamers at best, and they all loved the game. They were especially impressed with the music levels.

I know Ancel is busy with other projects now, but I reeeeaaally hope that we see another 2D Rayman. The series is way too good to end with Legends. There is so much potential with the UbiArt engine and the talented level designers who worked on these games.

Very nice post dude. I appreciate all your love for these games. I own both of these games both on my Xbox one and vita. It is a treat solo or with my friends/significant other!!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love Tropical Freeze, but those are both very valid criticisms. The boss fights, in particular, were really unenjoyable for me. They just dragged on for way too long and were difficult in a frustrating rather than fun way.

But Tropical Freeze's general level design was amazing. It had that flow-based structure (similar to the Rayman Games), but it was just a marvel in terms of visual flair and diversity.
I liked the main stages with the exception of the water stages a lot. But it certainly wasn't the level above Returns people made it out to be, and it certainly wasn't any better than NSMBU in level design or gameplay. I really get the feeling the visuals are what sets it apart for people rather than the actual gameplay.

Rodin

Rayman Origins was easily one of the most disappointing games of last gen for me, i'll never understand the praise for that scholastic, boring ass, flat level design. Backgrounds art is absolutely amazing, but they ruined the usual Rayman tone, which was always ironic, not dumb. I also found music to be unsufferable, except for a few tracks.

Never bought Legends because of this, although i tried the demo on the Wii U and that musical level with Black Betty was very fun. All in all RO doesn't even compare to the first (FANTASTIC) Rayman, let alone the true benchmarks of the genre like Super Mario Bros. 3, World and DK Tropical Freeze, which are several notches above in level design and gameplay.

Top Bottom