• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins/Legends are the current benchmarks for 2D platformers

ffvorax

RO is the best. I platinumed on PS4 and finished on PSVITA. Great game really.

RL though... just a more of the same, I didn't liked it... just finished the main + secret level and then shelved. :(

But yes, the 2D game mechanic is amazing good, and also the graphic.

Peltz

While we are at it, I actually think Shovel Knight is the best platformer of the generation. Better than both Rayman games and even all of Nintendo's platformer this generation. (And this is a Nintendo fanboy talking).

I even think it's better than Super Meat Boy as far as overal fun-factor is concerned. SMB is for pros, but SK is for pros and novices alike. My exgf who struggled to beat NSMB2 managed to beat SK because of how well made the game is with its perfect level design.

(Edit, beaten)

NEO0MJ

Hell no. Tropical Freeze stomps it in level design, art direction, gimmick levels, secrets. It's one of the few games where I liked the water level, in any genre.

Also, David Wise.

He didn't say that Legends was better than it, just that he felt that TF was also overrated.

I enjoyed both Origins and Legends enough to 100% both (er, except Legends' Origin content) but they are both lack the depth and nuance of 2D Mario. New Super Mario Bros U is a fine game.

Shepard

From a presentation pov, totally agree. But if you are talking about gameplay, hell no. Controls are a bit too loose and the art style makes it sometimes hard to precisely identify the borders of a platform. Nowhere near Super meat boy, Shovel Knight, DKC and New Super Mario.

Mugy

As somebody who has played Both Rayman and DK games very recently, i can only say this: Both DK games are the only ones i consider above the Rayman games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To me they look really nice with that artistic flair a lot of people die for, but their basic game mechanics and level design is very simplistic and designed to be breezed through easily. There's not much meat there.

They are quite fun though and enjoyable to play. They kind of make me think of a modern Sonic vs Mario comparison - Sonic is so fast, look at those graphics, wow! Mario is dull and old!

That is pretty much Rayman vs the modern 2d Mario games that a lot of people dislike due to the graphics.

Exile20

Not in level design and not gameplay. I think you just like the style which is fine. Game looks great.

Mario and DK games are still the benchmark by a longshot.

uh oh, OP has made a fatal GAF mistake! By starting the conversation with "*thing A* is the best!" instead of "*Thing A* is so good!", the thread will now be about "no, actually *thing B, C, D, etc* are the best" instead of "agree OP, *Thing A* is quite good!"

Talk to your kids about how to properly make GAF threads that could lead to fruitful discussions.

Before its too late.

Truth.
And even knowing this I had to resist my urge to just walk in the thread beating my chest yelling TROPICAAAAL FREEEEEZE!
These types of titles are dangerous, oh Scoularis, didn't you learn from your Last Guardian OST thread that went down the same way?

---
Anywho, tackling the idea of benchmark and the title to beat, well I'm not sure any of the current top 2D platforming titles of the modern era hits every top spot perfectly, in the case of Legends it seems oddly sparse coming off its predecessor with a bulk of its content also coming from said predecessor.
Still one of my favourite platformers mind you and agreed that it's the best for co-op play.

iModem

Banned
What made Rayman Origins great was that it felt oldschool not in its difficulty but in its ease of just.... playing through it. You had a simple world hub where you picked your level and within 20 seconds you were playing it. Compare that to new Rayman games' insistency on having a million different currency systems (exchange 10 pogs for 1 boglin and it takes 3 boglins to open this door) is very irritating. This extends to the mobile Rayman game, Rayman Adventuers.

I find the two games compliment eachother well...though my favorite is Legends. Great Gamepad use, creative levels that never feel like a retread of eachother, epic orchestrated soundtrack...haven't felt that magic in a 2D platformer since Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The music levels are the icing on top of the cake...and Kung Foot is a blast in multiplayer

Kraq

I bought Rayman Legends earlier this year with little expectations, thinking that it'd be a decent couch co-op platformer that would be a good bit of fun.

Came out of it thinking that it was the best 2D platforming game I've ever played, so yes I agree with you OP.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Darn tooting. Wonder Boy: Dragons Trap Remake is also a front runner but not really a platformer.

Nintendo need to suck it up and do a beautifully animated 2D Mario. That they keep teasing the Kotabe art with stickers and HUD elements is maddening.

Pay out for Wario, skimp on Mario.

marmoka

Banned
Origins is great but Legends is just alright.

I think Retro's DKC games and Shovel Knight are the true benchmarks for modern 2D platformers.

Agree with this.
And half Legends levels were Origins levels.

maxresdefault.jpg

I completely agree with this on a gameplay perspective. It's tight gameplay from start to finish in both titles and enough unique events that you never feel drained.

But wayforward's Shantae engine (specifically 1/2 genie hero) gives the two Rayman games a run for their money visually. Lots of great sprite work, multi-sprite bosses are especially amazing.

ironmang

Origins is great but Legends is just alright.

I think Retro's DKC games and Shovel Knight are the true benchmarks for modern 2D platformers.

Pretty much agree on all of this. Legends I started to get bored with and had no interest in doing any more than finishing the main levels.

DKC:TF was absolutely incredible and the first thing that comes to my mind when I think modern 2D platformers.

Elixist

i totally agree op. i think this team could've made an amazing new 2d yoshi game. not sure if they or nintendo would've wanted to do that of course, but i would've loved to play it.

legends is slightly disappointing to me cause murphy stuff is generally trash and just seems like they dint have time to make as many worlds as they would've liked, hence including origins content in the package.

Banned
You'll get no argument from me.

The retro Donkey Kong games are ahead for me though due to challenge and soundtrack.

heringer

I hope they port Tropical Freeze to Switch. If it's better than Returns my mind will be blown.

I did get to play New Super Mario (and Luigi) U and they are fantastic too (not as good as DKC Returns though). While I do hope they change the art style for the next game, I would hate if it becomes as busy and detailed as in the Rayman games. It would made the platforming way too frustrating, so for the precise platforming Mario games require, they should stick with a cleaner image.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Both games are terribly unsubstantial in terms of level design, concealed by the art style which imo is kind of weird and silly too. The developers even admitted they look to art style before actual level design which explains it. DKTF is definitely in another league and I would put NSMBU far above both games as well.

Legends is better because it doesn't cripple movement in the first half of the game. That made sense in an adventure game like Rayman 2, but not Origins. For a sequel, it also did quite a lot of refreshing things. More than any of these Nintendo sequels anyway, there's barely any difference between the two Donkey Kong games (let alone modern Mario).

cantona222

I played most of Rayman Legends and I don't agree with you. The level design is average and the controls are floaty. There were also many unnecessary collectables. Imo, Any 2D mario is more fun than the new 2d Raymans.

They're great, but I prefer the Mario style of platforming. I would probably put them a step above DKC Returns in my enjoyment, though the Kong wins in level variety. I consider Shovel Knight an action-platformer, so it's in a different category.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As much as I loved both of the Rayman games, I would consider DKCTF to be the current benchmark. Level design just feels better and the way it ramps up in challenge is perfect.

Tain

The structure and look of these games are pretty offputting to me, honestly. I only remember trying Legends.

Top Bottom