• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn responds to "concern" over The Order: 1886 campaign length

Violater

NO!

It totally is. Sorry.

I was more trying to denote that, usually, games of this ilk have a bit more to them. And I really don't think that such a statement is generalising.

Fair enough, I just hope if they game is actually as short 5-7 hours (or whatever the hell people keep saying) RAD doesn't try to sell any DLC down the line.

Lair was a bad game. This is the Heavenly Sword of PS4. It's pretty and fun to play, but very short.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, I hope RAD is allowed to move on to another game after this, they are a clearly talented bunch.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I think games should be a minimum of 12 hours but I've always thought it was weird that people prefer that a game's length be padded out with potential filler to make it 12 hours even if the story doesn't demand it
Well according to the spoiler thread impressions
this game's does demand more time because it apparently ends on a sequel bating cliffhanger and leaves a ton of plot thread unsolved.
Which doesn't help the short length.

Crossing Eden

Ugh that's too bad
That's part of the reason i'm not so found of the length, get the feeling many will be disappointed once they realize this.
Infamous SS was short, but at least that game's canon ending wrapped the story up until of sequel bating.

this game's does demand more time because it apparently ends on a sequel bating cliffhanger and leaves a ton of plot thread unsolved.

I don't like when games do that. There is never a time where it doesn't
feel arrogant

Fbh

That's part of the reason i'm not so found of the length, get the feeling many will be disappointed once they realize this.
Infamous SS was short, but at least that game's canon ending wrapped the story up until of sequel bating.

Not to mention that Infamous SS at least has some decent replay value in the form of the morale system. You can play through it twice and at least get a few different missions and powers plus some new dialog and a new ending

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Still going on this? GAF, I love you, but this much handwringing over a simple bang-for-buck issue that will naturally resolves itself within weeks, as it always does, is really allowing yourself to be too easily led by the nose for the sake of brand allegiance.

If cutscenes are real-time, then surely the game can be patched to allow for at least pausing, right? Skipping might be more of an issue if there's loading done behind the scenes.

Not being able to skip cutscenes in 2015 is terrible design.

Because you don't want to skip the whole game.

7729_7e05_480.gif

What really? Can others confirm this is true? Cuz the game is going straight on my shit list if it is.

Lmao, if he would've name dropped nib95 after he mentioned gaf I would've legit passed out, like on the ground in tears.

Btw, anyone know what time the embargo is up tomorrow? Midnight (meaning 13-16 hours from now depending on if it's EST or PST) or sometime in the morning?

8 AM EST.

As stated in the 1st post of this page, you can pause cut scenes.

Sorry, I missed that since I'm on 100 posts per page and didn't read that specific one. So the guys saying that cutscenes can't be paused were lying? Fucking hell, people.

[edit] ok, apparently older build. Crisis averted.

cool_dude

Banned
Well... it's true. Friend got his copy this morning and he already traded it back in. Finished at 6 1/2 hours on hard with almost everything to collect so I guess I will rent it this weekend for the pretty graphics.

This game might get the record for returns.

Exile20

Well... it's true. Friend got his copy this morning and he already traded it back in. Finished at 6 1/2 hours on hard with almost everything to collect so I guess I will rent it this weekend for the pretty graphics.

Is this game a joke?

And if the gameplay to cutscene is 6:4 then 3.9 hrs of gameplay with QTE? FUCK

Some people will finish it in 5 hr on normal also which will make it worst?

$60?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

What? If they intend on making a series, why answer all the questions now? This is what makes it a shit game all of a sudden? Some of you people, man...
I don't get cliffhanger criticism, either. I love cliffhangers in TV shows and movies. The only justifiable knock I could see for a cliffhanger is if the sequel to that movie or game took several years to make. If RAD can knock out a sequel in <2 years, I see nothing wrong with a cliffhanger. Didn't hurt LotR or Hunger Games.

Wait for a sale if you don't think the game is worth full price. It's a stupid argument anyway, unless you're going to also say that 100+ hour RPGs should cost more than $60

Oneself

If you're rushing through games (aka the 6hours people) this one definitely isn't for you.

If you enjoy taking your time, exploring etc. I garantee you'll enjoy the fuck out of The Order. I have yet to reach chapter 4 and played approx. 3hrs and a half.

biteren

is this true? im hanging on the Razor edge of the fence to straight up switching my pre-order. is there a way you can provide proof of these claims?

If you're rushing through games (aka the 6hours people) this one definitely isn't for you.

If you enjoy taking your time, exploring etc. I garantee you'll enjoy the fuck out of The Order. I have yet to reach chapter 4 and played approx. 3hrs and a half.

It's pretty easy to tell who has and who hasn't watch the walkthrough at this point. I can understand not wanting to get spoiled, but the guy in the video isn't rushing at all.

Crossing Eden

What really? Can others confirm this is true? Cuz the game is going straight on my shit list if it is.
I have not seen the ending myself on the off change that I'll actual buy this day 1. But I have glanced over some spoilers and that's the general impression in the spoiler thread. Full playthrough is on dailymotion

It took me twenty+ hours to finish the last of us because of the fact that I kept stopping to take screenshots of literally every interior of the game during my first run through. That shouldn't account into actual playtime because it's not a twenty hour game, it's on average twelve hour game. "Soak in the atmosphere" is gonna become a meme at this point. As Yahtzee would put it: There shouldn't be a faffing about quota that needs to be met.

Exile20

How much of that 3.5 hrs was gameplay?

Draper

I think my absorption of the atmosphere will add serious legs to this game. It'll probably be comparable in length to a game like Skyrim with my superior approach to gameplay.

Opiate

This game typifies the current AAA landscape to me. That doesn't mean it's bad -- that's a different topic -- but rather that this is the natural end point of this sort of game development.

If you want more story, you'll need less gameplay and less choice; if you want more special effects, you'll need a more contained, corridor-ish experience, as well as a shorter game, unless you're one of the few well established studios (e.g. Rockstar) for whom the budget is essentially unlimited.

Again, to emphasize: this doesn't mean the game is bad. I'm just saying this game shows what sacrifices need to be made to achieve this particular style of game design.

Top Bottom