• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn (TO 1886) self-publishing its games, hires Paul Sams (Blizzard) as CEO

MaDKaT

Doesnt seem to bode well for The Order sequel. I genuinely enjoyed the game and was hoping with established criticism we would get a spectacular sequel. Oh well, I look forward to their next project.

Weesuriya seems really attached to the Order IP, so much so that I'm wondering if one of those two IPs is the equivalent of Dark Souls to Demon's Souls, but for The Order instead.

SerTapTap

This is...odd. not entirely sure if it's a positive development or not, a bit antsy on the "transmedia" idea. Worked for .Hack, but generally you want a good start in one media form before you try and branch out. Also, not sure how they're planning to make something on par with The Order without a publisher. No way they could have done that without Sony/similar funding it.

JoshHood

Damn, I know it's the cool thing here to hate on The Order, but I thought it was genuinely great, and so did a lot of people I know. Sad if they have indeed killed it (which it sounds like).

Cardon

I enjoyed The Order and recommend others try it before writing it off, but it had issues (big ones). Namely the werewolf encounters, not the elder ones. Not only is the encounter terrible, but you do it again once or twice and it plays out exactly the same. Something special was there in The Order, but it just didn't come together. Still enjoyable, but disappointing more from the standpoint that you can literally see when playing it what it could have been.

Wish them the best of luck, in their transmedia adventures. They have talent no doubt and look forward to what is next.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. Enjoyed The Order myself despite the issues it had, and it's clear that RAD has tons of talent that just needs to be tapped further.

Ultimately, I just hope that this newest direction RAD is taking doesn't end up similar to that of Lightbox Interactive (Warhawk peeps/Starhawk dev team) in that they do one project and kinda fade away after that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, you realize a poor game that looks really pretty but was highly flawed in almost every other way. Then you announce you are going to self publish your own games now. I am not sure if I am supposed to be impressed or...? Sounds like Sony said to go kick rocks. The Order was so bad they are trying to give away collectors editions of the game with PS4s at amazon.

Would have more impact if they had a game to announce or anything to wash the taste of their last game out of ours mouths.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The story of The Order 1886 is now made worse by there being no sequel.
It's true. I was looking forward to that The Order live action mini-series I was always daydreaming about.
Sony needs to change their anti-developer stance on IP ownership or this type of thing is going to keep happening.
What type of thing? I don't think the developers mind too much seeing as how they have SO MANY of them. Sony is definitely the ones who had final call on The Order 2.
Is this the death of cinematic (HEAVILY cinematic) games?
Ehhhhh. No? Does MGSV count?
That was a big mistake by Sony, they should better bought the studio..
I think Sony is the one in control here. And decided not to continue business with RAD.

The Order 1886 will be a good $3 pickup in the bargain bin at the end of the generation.

dex3108

They have really good tech i can wait to see it on PC. I just hope that they learned lesson with short games without replay value.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so...The Order will stay PS4 exclusive, right? But their next projects will be published directly, without the need to get Sony behind, so they would probably be multiplatform, right? What that unannonced platform could be? I can't believe that RaD was able to get access to NX Nintendo assest so early, so maybe the Google platform?

SerTapTap

That was a big mistake by Sony, they should better bought the studio..

I don't really see why. If the order was a failure and they don't want to make any more...owning the studio would do 'em no good. They'd own the engine which is pretty nice, but that's about it. If they want to make a second Order they own the IP and can still contract RAD if they want to and RAD agrees.

And if they want to make The Order 2 and RAD doesn't want to, I'm sure they can find someone else to. Guerilla Cambridge maybe?

so...The Order will stay PS4 exclusive, right? But their next projects will be published directly, without the need to get Sony behind, so they would probably be multiplatform, right? What that unannonced platform could be? I can't believe that RaD was able to get access to NX Nintendo assest so early, so maybe the Google platform?

Android TV is announced. I kind of assume they mean "platform we're not announcing yet" rather than "platform that is not announced at all"

Hanmik

Back in July 2014 Ready at Dawn said..

Speaking at a recent Sony event in New York, J Goldberg, community manager at Ready at Dawn, said the studio came up with the idea for The Order: 1886 while still making games for the PSP. However, the game's main conceit--an experience that feels like a movie but plays like a game--required a console with the right technical specifications. "We couldn’t have achieved this graphical fidelity with any other console," Goldberg said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-order-1886-dev-says-ps4-the-only-console-that-/1100-6421270/

Sams: We have enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Sony. They are a great company with whom we have shared many successes over the years. As a result, it is hard to imagine not seeing our future games on one or more of the Sony platforms. At the same time, we have worked very hard to make sure that our engine and technology suite is multiplatform. What we did on the PS4 for The Order: 1886, we can also do today on Xbox One, PC, and on an additional unannounced platform.

LOL, why would they? Deal is deal if devs agree to do that.

Why would they? They already lost out on Sunset Overdrive because of their IP ownership policy, now it appears they've lost out on Ready At Dawn's next IP.
But hey, if that's their policy and it's still working for them, then more power to them. Some developers do like it when the publisher owns and handles the IP (Platinum being the best example of this). But it seems more often then not, devs want to control the IP they've poured hours of hard work into, can you blame them?

Turkoop

Banned
I don't really see why. If the order was a failure and they don't want to make any more...owning the studio would do 'em no good. They'd own the engine which is pretty nice, but that's about it. If they want to make a second Order they own the IP and can still contract RAD if they want to and RAD agrees.

And if they want to make The Order 2 and RAD doesn't want to, I'm sure they can find someone else to. Guerilla Cambridge maybe?

I'm sure Cambridge is doing something with Killzone

Interfectum

Really, when did this happen? First Greg Street, then Rob Pardo and now Paul Sams? Dark times at Blizzard I guess.

I guess it just happened now. He hasn't even updated his Twitter account yet (Leader of Blizzard Entertainment's global business and operations).

Why would they? They already lost out on Sunset Overdrive because of their IP ownership policy, now it appears they've lost out on Ready At Dawn's next IP.
But hey, if that's their policy and it's still working for them, then more power to them. Some developers do like it when the publisher owns and handles the IP (Platinum being the best example of this). But it seems more often then not, devs want to control the IP they've poured hours of hard work into, can you blame them?

Er... the reading between the lines here is that Sony chose to not pursue an Order sequel, and by extension, any new project from RAD.

Jigorath

Banned

Didn't Sunset Overdrive bomb? And they still have Insomniac working on Ratchet so *shrugs*.

macewank

Not sure why everyone is jumping to the TO:1886 sequel being canceled based on this news. That's quite a leap.

RaD was never part of Sony WWS and could have self published (or chose different publishers) for anything/whatever they wanted. They're in a position now to do that. That's literally all I'm getting out of this article.

The parallel here is Insomniac.

Aceofspades

Banned
Hope the best for RAD, I have enjoyed the order alot, it seems like people wanted it to be something else.

Im waiting to anything they put on PS4.

SerTapTap

You're making it sound like publishing deals that don't require IP ownership are a lot more common than they really are. Xbone bought-exclusives are really the only major examples I can think of here, outside of much smaller projects like Sony's Pubfund. Most publishers still want IP ownership and I'm not really all that convinced that MS's strategy is a particularly great idea for either party either.

Hell even Bloodstained's IP is owned by a publisher. No one likes to talk about that.

Top Bottom