• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn (TO 1886) self-publishing its games, hires Paul Sams (Blizzard) as CEO

Jigorath

Banned
Not sure why everyone is jumping to the TO:1886 sequel being canceled based on this news. That's quite a leap.

RaD was never part of Sony WWS and could have self published (or chose different publishers) for anything/whatever they wanted. They're in a position now to do that. That's literally all I'm getting out of this article.

The parallel here is Insomniac.

Why would they continue The Order? It didn't review well. It didn't sell well.

Why would they? They already lost out on Sunset Overdrive because of their IP ownership policy, now it appears they've lost out on Ready At Dawn's next IP.
But hey, if that's their policy and it's still working for them, then more power to them. Some developers do like it when the publisher owns and handles the IP (Platinum being the best example of this). But it seems more often then not, devs want to control the IP they've poured hours of hard work into, can you blame them?

If they don't agree with that, they can find other publishers. Like i said, deal is deal and what you think they've lost out on RAD's next IP?

Not sure why everyone is jumping to the TO:1886 sequel being canceled based on this news. That's quite a leap.

First is shinobi's statement.

Secondly, is well... If The Order 2 was greenlit, I highly doubt Sony wants the game to spend 3-4 years in development, alongside 2 other 'self-published' projects.

Sony cut them loose? Ice cold.

RAD is an independent studio.
After The Order did poorly in sales and critically, Sony probably didn't want to work with them on a sequel anymore. I think Sony funded The Order and would've funded a sequel. After 1886 its understandable that Sony doesn't want to fund a sequel.

Jigolo

Not surprised since their first game was a commercial/critical failure. I am excited to see what they are working on next. I believe they will learn from their mistakes and make their next game great.

macewank

Why would they continue The Order? It didn't review well. It didn't sell well.

Fair points, neither of which have anything to do with them going multiplat.

That's all I'm saying. This news quite literally has squat to do with the future of the franchise. It's a leap to read this and jump to that conclusion based on the news.

Game4life

Banned
Best decision Sony has taken. So many awesome studios to fund instead of this one. As for RAD I hope the studio redeems itself and makes a 'game' this time.

iNvid02

sony gently easing them away

good news though, more platforms the better

6fPHEzT.gif

Why would they? They already lost out on Sunset Overdrive because of their IP ownership policy, now it appears they've lost out on Ready At Dawn's next IP.
But hey, if that's their policy and it's still working for them, then more power to them. Some developers do like it when the publisher owns and handles the IP (Platinum being the best example of this). But it seems more often then not, devs want to control the IP they've poured hours of hard work into, can you blame them?

Can you blame Sony for wanting to own the IP though, not having IP ownership made them lose their 2 biggest mascots of the PS1 era.

Well no chance we are getting a sequel to The Order. Not surprising really but a bit of a bummer. I still liked the game despite all of the issues and was hoping with another crack RAD could nail it

RAD shit the bed in every way possible with The Order, still don't understand how the studio fucked it up so badly after the awesome PSP games. Their culture at the studio is a mess, they made the movie they wanted and it's a huge shame because the studio was one of my favorites before their console release.

You're making it sound like publishing deals that don't require IP ownership are a lot more common than they really are. Xbone bought-exclusives are really the only major examples I can think of here, outside of much smaller projects like Sony's Pubfund. Most publishers still want IP ownership and I'm not really all that convinced that MS's strategy is a particularly great idea for either party either.

Hell even Bloodstained's IP is owned by a publisher. No one likes to talk about that.

It should be said that Microsoft is straying from the developer owned ip model for its big retail releases. Microsoft owns Scalebound and Quantum Break, bought Gears of War and tried to buy the Ryse ip. Insomniac still has Sunset though.

I-hate-u

Did this decision come before 1886 ship, or after? Also, how can they finance their own games without going with a publisher?

It should be said that Microsoft is straying from the developer owned ip model for its big retail releases. Microsoft owns Scalebound and Quantum Break, bought Gears of War and tried to buy the Ryse ip. Insomniac still has Sunset though.

They also own Ori. Spencer also seems to be hinting that they're moving towards owning their IPs nowadays.

Ushiwaka

It would be such a shame for all that unused story potential of The Order to go to waste. Yeah it was Werewolves and Vampires, but it was interesting. I hope Sony would at least give the sequel to another studio.

_Ryo_

RAD not working with Sony is gonna feel weird...

They were never actually a Sony studio though were they?

eFKac

Best decision Sony has taken. So many awesome studios to fund instead of this one. As for RAD I hope the studio redeems itself and makes a 'game' this time.

That's the good thing about not owning a studio.
You contract once, they develop a flop, you cut ties, fair and square. Damn you still get games from them after that.

The scale of hate on the order was so unfair.
The game had its flaws, but it was killed even before it actually shipped. It was a polished game, developed with care and love. It doesn't deserve all the hate.

RaD was never part of Sony WWS and could have self published (or chose different publishers) for anything/whatever they wanted. They're in a position now to do that. That's literally all I'm getting out of this article.

The parallel here is Insomniac.
RAD changed their studio logo to match with the Order. They had every intention of becoming The Order franchise studio, they left a ridiculous amount of plot threads open for the sequel....and now they're making 2 new IPs with a new CEO out of the blue.

Its canceled.

nib95

Banned
It could be a Ryse-like situation (with a different ending), maybe they will do it with a different studio at some point. "Ya neva know".

True, but I doubt it. The franchise name is likely seen as tarnished in Sony's eyes. Bit of a shame RAD doesn't own the IP, because they could have always decided on a sequel on their own merits, if they really believed they could have turned it around.

macewank

I don't believe the sequel is cancelled I think RAD left the ending open to a sequel to try to get more money from Sony to make another and Sony told them to get lost. The sequel has never been in development in my opinion.

I think the first part of this is a bit tinfoil-hat-ey, but I agree with the premise. They left it open ended to allow for a sequel, but I don't think Sony or RAD looked at the sales/reception of the original and said "We should greenlight another one of these"

I'd be shocked if the sequel ever made it out of pre-planning, if it even went that far.

Crocodile

You're making it sound like publishing deals that don't require IP ownership are a lot more common than they really are. Xbone bought-exclusives are really the only major examples I can think of here, outside of much smaller projects like Sony's Pubfund. Most publishers still want IP ownership and I'm not really all that convinced that MS's strategy is a particularly great idea for either party either.

Hell even Bloodstained's IP is owned by a publisher. No one likes to talk about that.

IGA owns the IP, he confirmed it during his AMA two weeks ago

Luke_Wal

I'm curious to see who owns the engine. I liked The Order a lot, but it was by no means a great enough game to build a studio on. The engine was the great innovation of that game, and the most substantial part of it.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Seems like The Order was the PS4's Heavenly Sword.

I actually enjoyed Heavenly Sword.

I'd suggest game play wise comparable to Lair from Factor 5 that created the excellent Turrican. A classic case of creating a duffer after a number of good games.

I wonder how this will affect the types of games Sony greenlights? I am curious how Until Dawn will fair.

Hopefully Sony got the memo after The Order and Beyond did poorly and TLoU did great.
You can have story heavy games, but good gameplay still needs to be the foundation.

li bur

I'm surprised they managed to get Paul Sams.

I realize they have some Blizzard vets there, but still, he was COO at a very large company.

Probably wanted a change of pace.

Totally this. I think only the lure of challenges that could entice him to take this job. The next question is how will they get the funding to publish games. It's not cheap and most banks think that video games is a risky industry. Did some VC or PE started to invest on them?

Top Bottom