• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnozberry

What are the chances of them doing an "OS Direct" before launch? Did they go over that with Wii U before it was released? I can't remember...it was all so blurry back then too...

They went over the interface in a Direct before the release for the Wii U. I expect we'll see something similar with the Switch.

The point of the picture with the girl is to say when you buy the online sub (which comes with the voice chat app) do you have to talk to people through your phone or can you talk to them through your Switch.

That's all people were questioning. Nobody said voice chat was free on the Switch. It's clear as day that you have to pay for voice chat.

TS-08

They also sell headphones that just have volume control built in. They look identical to versions with a mic in my experience.

Yes I was going to say this. That may not even be a mic. But even if it is that doesn't matter. Lots of headphones have mics so I'm sure they just used these without even considering the implications of showing one with a mic.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Bahahaah

ntrwnhohqlay.jpg

Obviously created by someone who doesn't play Splatoon.... the correct term is "splatted", which works even better with double entendre.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Iwata had his share of successes (Wii, DS, 3DS) and failures (Wii U, and maybe even the Gamecube), but he always struck me as a leader that learned from his mistakes and tried new things. While he was the handpicked successor to Yamauchi-san, I felt Iwata was constantly at odds with the old guard culture at Nintendo who is now represented by his replacement Kimishima.

While there's no arguing that the Switch is Iwata's brainchild and the hardware/online controversies plaguing Nintendo have pre-dated the Switch, I also have my suspicions about the recent business policies of the system and that a lot of the recent baggage wouldn't have happened had he been alive and well.

Kinda agree. I saw someone basically saying that Fire Emblem mobile went against everything Iwata stood for by fully embracing the Gacha model, no holds barred.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really don't understand why Reggie decided to start talking about the app now. It won't be out until summer so I doubt we'll get concrete details on how that works any time soon.

Because he's not stupid and he knows that the pill needs a lot of sweetening.

Nerazar

What are the chances of them doing an "OS Direct" before launch? Did they go over that with Wii U before it was released? I can't remember...it was all so blurry back then too...

Reggie has already announced one that will air before launch. It was about the Online functions, though. However, I think those two would fit in nicely together in one Direct.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Okay - apologies if this has been figured out already, but, can matchmaking *ONLY* be done through the app? Or is that an option?

So how does this fit in with the free online at launch if the app is launching later? Im utterly baffled
The app only lets you voice chat and party up in lobbies with friends.

You can play online with random people day 1 of launch. The app that comes later is for voice chat and creating lobby's for you and you're friends.

15178984-32ekcr.png

15178984-maincvsrb.png

25. Sound INPUT/OUTPUT terminal....

Yeah so lets break it down

What the Switch DOES have

- Inline Mic support and Audio

- Bluetooth

What it DOESNT HAVE

- Built in Mic

- Audio Ports on controllers (joycon/pro)

Either way this system COULD have better options put in but there are still gaps when compared to Sony/MS

Schnozberry

Okay - apologies if this has been figured out already, but, can matchmaking *ONLY* be done through the app? Or is that an option?

Custom matchmaking is controlled through the app. Inviting your friends to lobbies and private games, etc. Games that have in-game matchmaking can join you up with random opponents, like Mario Kart and Splatoon, for instance.

This whole thing is so absurd. A truely Nintendo-like solution.

Thankfully, I'll only be using the switch for Nintendo games and any novel exclusives, so there won't really be anything I care about playing online. Not going to bother subscribing to this one.

prag16

Banned
whatswrongwithyou.gif

This is absurd. Why do I have to juggle two devices to do what should be possible EASILY on just the Switch itself? What if I use a headset to hear game audio? Do I now have to choose? Or do something stupid like wear two sets of headphones at once to also do the voice chat?

The FUCK is wrong with you Nintendo. This is NOT elegant. This is about the farthest thing from elegant that I can possibly imagine. And for a paid service. For fuck's sake.

Having to use a second device (with skype) to voice chat for Kart/Smash/Splatoon now is a pain in the ass. Glad to know I'll keep having to do basically the same thing for the new PAID service.

EDIT It really is a sight to behold. They basically nailed that initial reveal in October. In but a single hour last week, they took me from "90% certain launch buyer" to "maaaaaybe late 2017 if Mario is earth shatteringly amazing". And everything that's come out since then has just made things worse and worse. How could they have fucked all this up so badly? They've learned nothing.

TS-08

The app only lets you voice chat and party up in lobbies with friends.

You can play online with random people day 1 of launch. The app that comes later is for voice chat and creating lobby's for you and you're friends.

I mean, it's possible you can play with friends day 1 too, if the game provides you a way to do so.

mlclmtckr

Banned
So that online services chart has online play and friends lists as their own stand-alone things, separate from the app. And this quote from the website

This service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions.

also makes it seem like a separate thing.

I'm pretty sure the app is just for voice. Which is still not great but not as bad as most people are assuming.

Personally I don't voice chat with randos on PC so I'm not expecting to on Switch very much either. But it's nice to have voice with friends. Hopefully you can do that through the console.

flkraven

[/B]Wrong

Dudes are straight lying now and they trying to call Nintendo fans out...Wii U mic was used for voice chat...

A source for what? That the GamePad could be used as a mic for online Wii U games? Can I source myself?

Maybe this is a game specific thing? Every article I've read says you can use the built in mic for some things, but to voice chat in games it required a headset.

ASIS

Another thought just occurred to me. Will it be at all possible to manage your friends list from the Switch?

I know this may seem like a stupid question but after reading the title of this thread I think this warrants a discussion too.

Maybe this is a game specific thing? Every article I've read says you can use the built in mic for some things, but to voice chat in games it required a headset.

From Nintendo News:

First and foremost, a headset is not required for Mario Kart 8 voice chat. Instead, players can egg each other on or talk trash using the Wii U GamePad’s built-in microphone, with one exception of course. Players are limited to talking to one another in the “lobby area” while waiting for a race to start. Additionally, they can exchange pre-defined test-based messages — similar to the phrasing style featured used in Mario Kart Wii.

How are people gonna play online then?

Standard matchmaking with randoms will still exist, it has to (I hope Nintendo isn't THAT stupid to relegate all matchmaking to the app on a phone).
The app looks like it is for friends, creating parties and joining games as a party along with voice chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom