• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steejee

File under 'need to know more'.

I can think of a lot of different actual implementations that fit what he's saying, some are horrific, some fine, some maybe even good, just not enough info.

If this is how it works, then I'd be a lot cooler with it. This is not how Reggie is selling it though and it seems pretty ass backwards to require a phone for voice chat if all your doing is pumping it back into the Switch.

Reggie is a terrible person when it comes to giving out details. I always end up feeling less informed when he runs his mouth because he's too busy talking PR nonsense.

1nEGs4N.png

That's just because that's how they make those headphones, they come with mics.

It was probably the only blue headphone they could find to match that girl's hair

If this is how it works, then I'd be a lot cooler with it. This is not how Reggie is selling it though and it seems pretty ass backwards to require a phone for voice chat if all your doing is pumping it back into the Switch.
Yeah, you sign in the app to link it with your Switch, then use the Switch to talk with voice chat. So, why not just put the app on the Switch from the beginning? Lol

That's just because that's how they make those headphones, they come with mics.

It was probably the only blue headphone they could find to match that girl's hair

Keep moving the goalposts. "That's how head phones come". Ugh they've showed other headsets without a mic.

RedRum

Banned
I'm just baffled that Nintendo hasn't come and either confirmed or not confirmed that this is a thing. Not that hard to say yes or no.

I don't get the confusion, it seems pretty clear as the official Nintendo website says

The app that enables chat is releasing in summer. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is releasing in April. That means you can't use voice chat.

I don't get why so many people can't accept that Nintendo is just batshit insane as always.

I'd love for this to be wrong and that we can voice chat through the system but nothing we've heard so far indicates that AT ALL

The only way to make things as clear as you claim is to assume the in-between. Neither the website nor Reggie have made a definitive statement about what the Switch can or cannot do outside of the app. Until they do, I'm not willing to make assumptions.

That's not denying what they've said so far, it's wanting more information. It's my honest opinion that Nintendo needs to detail the day one OS and features as soon as possible. I do not believe they'll focus on the app anytime soon outside of what they've detailed on the website.

Reggie messed up going for teh #edgy angle. He should've stayed humble, and should've told the actual advantages of an app, because there are a few (or more, depending on their implementation).

The problem there is that we're talking about Nintendo here. Reggie was never going to deviate from the talking points he's allowed to cover at this point. I doubt he or anyone else can detail what we get with the app until NCL says it's time.

I'm just baffled that Nintendo hasn't come and either confirmed or not confirmed that this is a thing. Not that hard to say yes or no.

Who can we ask? At least with MS, you can ask their higher ups and have a chance at a response. All we get is PR Reggie: Master of talking a lot while saying absolutely nothing.

Kyzer

Banned
Hey, you can project whatever feelings you want to project onto me, but all I'm saying is that if we're going to ignore the actual words people say just to believe what we want to believe, I can't wait to buy a Switch so that it can bake me a cake each month. Reggie never said that the Switch wouldn't come with that functionality, after all. Therefore, I choose to believe that it will.

I don't know why that would upset you so much.

Did i ask you if the switch could bake a fucking cake? Was what i asked even close to asking if the switch would bake me a cake?

Please, do yourself a favor and the next time you feel compelled to quote a post pages later to jump into a conversation with someone you dont know, make sure you know what youre talking about first. I asked if we knew yet whether or not the switch supports apps and mobile games, searching for a reasonable explanation of how this woild work or nintendos reasoning. I am asking bevause i think the idea sounds terrible. Wtf are you even talking about?

Keep moving the goalposts. "That's how head phones come". Ugh they've showed other headsets without a mic.

That's a promo shot, not a binding contract stating that voicechat is supported because the headphone used in an ad had a microphone

The only message we got from Nintendo is that you need an app for voicechat, they never said you could voicechat directly from the Switch

That's why there's another topic just for that

TheFuzz

It shouldn't baffle you. If you need to give someone an answer that you know that they're not going to like, would you try to hurry and answer them?

Malus

I wouldn't surprised to hear that a lot of people play Kart either local multi or just against bots - and those same people probably don't care about Splatoon.

I know more than a few people who are like this.

Even they can admit that this sounds like a bad idea for those who do play online. I only play with randoms but this is shaping up to be real bad. Friends matchmaking held back until Fall, friends lobbies and voicechat locked behind a phone app? Yikes.

Did i ask you if the switch could bake a fucking cake? Was what i asked even close to asking if the switch would bake me a cake?

Please, do yourself a favor and the next time you feel compelled to quote a post pages later to jump into a conversation with someone you dont know, make sure you know what youre talking about first. I asked if we knew yet whether or not the switch supports apps and mobile games, searching for a reasonable explanation of how this woild work or nintendos reasoning. I am asking bevause i think the idea sounds terrible. Wtf are you even talking about?

Stop being so emotional.

Or missing the point that is flying over your head at rapid speed.

I'll stop responding to you here because nothing that you're saying here really makes sense.

I wouldn't surprised to hear that a lot of people play Kart either local multi or just against bots - and those same people probably don't care about Splatoon.

I know more than a few people who are like this.

So you're just making stuff up?

I know 6 people that own a Wii U and we all use online multiplayer for both Kart and Splatoon. I can pull out anecdotal evidence too.

flkraven

Weird how this promo pic clearly shows "bulky headphones" with a mic...

1nEGs4N.png

I'm sorry but one photo won't convince me of anything when all the PR says otherwise. We live in the same world where the Wii U had a mic built into the pad, but it couldn't be used for voice chat.

Doorman

It's a very dumb solution as currently described, and one that I don't see being changed. Unless or until I see otherwise I firmly believe that this is a concession Nintendo chose to make for the sake of the hardware. To maintain the portability aspect that's so central to the Switch's concept, I think Nintendo wants the system OS to have as little to do in the background as possible so that the games can run as well as they can while portable, and help save its battery life in the process too. I guess Nintendo thinks smartphone penetration is high enough that they're passing the buck on services and computing power onto other devices.

And I won't be surprised in the slightest if, by the end of 2019, the tech becomes cheap enough that Nintendo can offer a new "Switch Plus" that has the power to run the mobile app's services on the system itself, having previously dropped the price of the base Switch.

It shouldn't baffle you. If you need to give someone an answer that you know that they're not going to like, would you try to hurry and answer them?

That's not how Nintendo operates at all... It's more likely the case the NCL has set a schedule of talking points that NOA and NOE aren't allowed to deviate from. I don't think this is the best approach, but it's what they've decided to go with...

MUnited83

For you.
Weird how this promo pic clearly shows "bulky headphones" with a mic...

1nEGs4N.png

Here's a little thing about promotional shots: they don't give a fuck about accuracy. Wether the Switch supports it or not, i guarantee you this promo shot did not take it into consideration at all.

When was the last time you spoke to someone on your phone that was out, using a headphone, that you couldn't hear what they were saying?

What year is this?

If they are using their headphones they normally have a mic on that headphone.
A mic that doesn't fucking work with the switch! So you need to have the fucking headphones plugged in to the phone, but you can't have headphones plugged in to the switch at the same time! Why are you so dense?

I would put more stock into the words coming straight from the president and COO of Nintendo's largest international branch overseeing Nintendo's largest market than I would the choice of headset in a promo shot done by an external marketing firm.

XandBosch

Do we know yet if the Switch headphone jack actually has microphone support?

I don't believe so.

If nothing else, this picture just makes me really pumped to be able to use my phone as a hotspot to play an online game of Splatoon on-the-go. Damn that'll be cool.

I'm sorry but one photo won't convince me of anything when all the PR says otherwise. We live in the same world where the Wii U had a mic built into the pad, but it couldn't be used for voice chat.
Dudes are straight lying now and they trying to call Nintendo fans out...Wii U mic was used for voice chat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom