• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular 3DS removed from NOA's site

sörine

Banned
The 2nd analog stick is like the longest running joke of the 3DS. Its such a useless feature at this point in its life, it would be a vestigial control input.
I think it depends. If this were a half-cycle upgrade like GBC or DSi I could maybe see it as it'd probably mean some exclusive games could use it.

I expect the next Nintendo handheld to have dual analog and triggers anyway.

magnetic

I think another issue is that a lot of people in this thread seem to not understand the difference between resolution and pixel density.

Indeed. I mean, they could make the screen as sharp as the iPhone!*

(*if they shrink it down to the size of a stamp)

ALM5252

The 2nd analog stick is like the longest running joke of the 3DS. Its such a useless feature at this point in its life, it would be a vestigial control input.

It would definitely get a lot of use from me for Super Smash Bros. 3DS. I always use the C-Stick for aerials, so using the 3DS 2nd pad would be great.

It's time for an all-new system. The market is moving faster than ever with mobile refreshes every six months. I'd love a more powerful 3DS with second analog stick and full access to a huge VC library.

hwy_61

Banned
As a 3DS XL owner, news of a 3DSLite would evoke very little interest from me. I'm not going smaller.

See I'm looking at a 3DS lite as a companion to my XL. Since they removed the transfer limit, I can totally picture me switching back and forth between the lite and the XL. Sounds dumb and excessive, but that's the kinda guy I am; dumb and excessive.

inner-G

Banned
See I'm looking at a 3DS lite as a companion to my XL. Since they removed the transfer limit, I can totally picture me switching back and forth between the lite and the XL. Sounds dumb and excessive, but that's the kinda guy I am; dumb and excessive.
Waiting 7 days to transfer is balls.

What does a 3DS lite look like? Better battery and slimmer? Other than that, I can't think of any other improvements.

less insane bezel than the original model?

a general screen improvement wouldn't go amiss either. and i'm sure there's no technical reason for the cameras to remain the worst quality optical devices on sale anywhere in the world.

Dr. Buni

Well, hopefully the next new model will be similar to the OG 3DS, but with improvements, of course. I am not a big fan of the XL model.

Sanic

Waiting 7 days to transfer is balls.

That, and less importantly the amount of time it takes for the transfer to actually complete.

I was very close to buying a $99 2DS, but the above prevented that. If they're not going to give us a standard account system, they could at least improve the system transfer process.

Banned
Funny thing is, you're probably on the right track. Introducing a new 3DS with the NFC built-in to match their figure line coming out makes a lot of sense.
Yah and my next tweet said they will release an NFC reader add on for the other 3DS models.

Yah and my next tweet said they will release an NFC reader add on for the other 3DS models.

They've already announced that at the last investor meeting :p

UoIYpjl.gif

It's blatantly going to involve Smash Bros., but that part isn't official yet.

sörine;112762228 said:
I think it depends. If this were a half-cycle upgrade like GBC or DSi I could maybe see it as it'd probably mean some exclusive games could use it.

I expect the next Nintendo handheld to have dual analog and triggers anyway.
GBC was a generational upgrade tho.

That, and less importantly the amount of time it takes for the transfer to actually complete.

I was very close to buying a $99 2DS, but the above prevented that. If they're not going to give us a standard account system, they could at least improve the system transfer process.

I just bought a 2ds, and transferring everything from the 3ds xl to it was fast and easy, but now my 3ds xl is a fucking paperweight. I would love to use the 2ds at home and keep the 3ds in my bag, but I guess I'll just give it to some kid.

Qtwentyseven

Neo Member
Of all of the possible hardware announcements for E3, a new 3DS would be quite nice.

A flat out new system rather than another option would be nice, as I would love an excuse to upgrade from my original model Aqua Blue, other than because it's quite scratched up & has a wonky circle pad.

I just bought a 2ds, and transferring everything from the 3ds xl to it was fast and easy, but now my 3ds xl is a fucking paperweight. I would love to use the 2ds at home and keep the 3ds in my bag, but I guess I'll just give it to some kid.
Can I hav plz? Bday is July 17th..

butman

XL for life.

First i had the OG, but when i started playing MH3U it was ridiculously unplayable. A lot stuff to see on that tiny screen.

Yeah.

And the GBC has a processor twice as fast as the monochrome GB

And four times as much internal RAM, twice as much VRAM, DMA transfer hardware, and of course a more fully-featured 2D graphics engine (tile flipping, color palettes, and per-tile priority). Actually, I guess that is sort of on the level of the difference between DS and DSi, except developers actually had a better opportunity to develop and innovate on the GBC before the GBA came out.

It's time for an all-new system. The market is moving faster than ever with mobile refreshes every six months. I'd love a more powerful 3DS with second analog stick and full access to a huge VC library.

While I tend to agree, this would just make things more difficult for developers, and the 3DS already practically is a Nintendo first-party software-only system as it is.

I think it would make a lot more sense to wait another year and release a new handheld Holiday 2015 that makes it really easy to port stuff from Steam/Smart Phone.

Orteip490

Don't know if already stated, but here in Italy Nintendo's advertising Kirby as playable on the 'Nintendo 3DS family': 3DS XL and 2DS.

mindsale

My XL with Circle Pad Pro XL is pretty comfortable, but if they release a more ergonomic unit I may pick one up for Smash.

wrowa

Yeah.

And the GBC has a processor twice as fast as the monochrome GB

Which still wasn't enough to make a substantial difference. Same is true for the DSi which also had upgraded hardware. Of course, no one used it, since the DS was still way too popular and no one wanted to leave the biggest chunk of the market in the cold.

Nzyme32

I know what will happen.

A new 3DS games compatible handheld....

That also can act as a replacement for the WiiU tablet

Therefore a new WiiU for sale at a lower price without the WiiU tablet.

That would be an ultimate win situation if I'm right

Tom_Cody

What I would love - and it´s honestly the only thing I really see happening - is a new 3DS with the same size as the old 3DS, but with the screen taking up more space of the upper lid. I´m actually fine with the general size of the OG 3DS, but the bezel just takes up way too much space.
Over the weekend I had that realization and I fully expect that for Nintendo's next generation handheld at least.

With all of the advances in smartphone screens, I'm sure they can find a way to make a screen that would take up the full upper lid while still balancing weight, cost, and power consumption.

I personally prefer the size/ergonomics of the XL to the OG, though I would also be fine with a form factor somewhere in between.

Tom_Cody

I know what will happen.

A new 3DS games compatible handheld....

That also can act as a replacement for the WiiU tablet

Therefore a new WiiU for sale at a lower price without the WiiU tablet.

That would be an ultimate win situation if I'm right
Iwata has already said that something like this is in the work for their next handheld. As best as I can gather from the investor talks:

They are 1) rushing the Wii U's successor, 2) its successor would 'absorb' the Wii U (similar to the GameCube --> Wii), and 3) that their next generation handheld would represent a shared platform.
(QoL also fits into this somewhere)

It is not entirely clear from this if the handheld would be able to output to the TV directly through something like Apple-TV/Chromecast or if TV play would come from an entirely different hardware device with simply software in common (essentially the Wii U).

Top Bottom