• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular 3DS removed from NOA's site

Please, please add a build in second analog stick. Or actually make a new circle pad pro for this one, why the fuck doesn't the 2ds have one. Ugh.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm willing to bet $10 we'll see a redesign by the end of the year

Zing

Banned
I suspect they stopped producing the regular 3DS long ago. The commercials haven't mentioned it for a while. Best Buy's computer system marked it as discontinued months ago.

Elija2

The reason for the gap is the screen scratching issue. The top screen is wider, but Nintendo didn't seem to realize that the resistive screen edges are big enough to reach the top when closed and with light amounts (or basically none) of pressure. This lead to tons of people having 2 vertical lines across the top screen. On the XL they basically went all out in terms of separating the screens, but even then some people still have issues when using it on the go.

Couldn't they just curve in the edges of the top screen like they did with the older DS'? That way the edges would still look smooth even though there's a gap between the screens. The original 3DS sorta did this (although it still looked ugly because of its uneven design) but I guess they didn't make the gap big enough.

the-top-15-dsiware-games-20110506012954353.jpg

Rich!

On the topic of screen scratching - I got my white 3DS XL pre-owned. Even then, it was essentially brand new (with 5 retail titles installed!!) with no scratches to the screen.

I have taken bloody good care of it...and lo and behold, it has the screen scratches from the lower screen. They show up as a line of dots going up the screen. It's depressing, and it's put me off playing my XL for a long time.

They had better have a fix for this for the new revision. If there is adequate seperation, I am trading my XL in instantly.

DonMigs85

On the topic of screen scratching - I got my white 3DS XL pre-owned. Even then, it was essentially brand new (with 5 retail titles installed!!) with no scratches to the screen.

I have taken bloody good care of it...and lo and behold, it has the screen scratches from the lower screen. They show up as a line of dots going up the screen. It's depressing, and it's put me off playing my XL for a long time.

They had better have a fix for this for the new revision. If there is adequate seperation, I am trading my XL in instantly.

A screen protector should render those pretty much invisible

You can find a regular 3DS for $99 at RadioShack, my place of employment. Plus Nintendo's promotional material for GameStop didn't even have the regular 3DS to advertise, just the 2DS and XL. Interesting stuff.

Zing

Banned
I carry my 3DS around almost everywhere I go. In my pocket. In my backpack. I get oil marks on the top screen from the touch screen, but no actual scratches. Are you guys sure they are permanent scratches? I think the conventional wisdom is that the scratches are due to dirt on the touch screen being abrasive and not the actual hardware.

I just checked now after carrying mine to the playground for hours, and playing some Kirby while my daughter played. No scratching.

You can find a regular 3DS for $99 at RadioShack, my place of employment. Plus Nintendo's promotional material for GameStop didn't even have the regular 3DS to advertise, just the 2DS and XL. Interesting stuff.
Good point. In Canada, if you can find the original 3DS in the big box (the version with the charging cradle), it's $40 less than retail price at Best Buy. This made it the same price as the 2DS, which was handy since I wanted a 3DS for my daughter.

I hope there's a redesign, I really hate those parallel scratches on my 3ds, and I don't really want to pay 50 dollars to fix it..

JackHerer

Considering the 3D on the XL is completely broken and unplayable for me I hope that they won't just discontinue the OG but also release an updated SKU to replace it. Keep the screen the same size please. Maybe this would be announced at e3??

big_z

Considering the 3D on the XL is completely broken and unplayable for me I hope that they won't just discontinue the OG but also release an updated SKU to replace it. Keep the screen the same size please. Maybe this would be announced at e3??

its exactly the same, only the distance you need to hold the 3DS changes

JackHerer

its exactly the same, only the distance you need to hold the 3DS changes

Just..no. I have tried every angle, holding it closer/further, etc. and I always get a slight double image. I had a 3DS XL at first and hated the 3D. A couple months later I bought a OG and it was much, much better. Screen is sharper too.

sörine

Banned
Yeah I need XL screen size. If they do come out with an improved 3DS Pro I hope it's in both normal and XL flavors.

big_z

Just..no. I have tried every angle, holding it closer/further, etc. and I always get a slight double image. I had a 3DS XL at first and hated the 3D. A couple months later I bought a OG and it was much, much better. Screen is sharper too.

the screen specs haven't changed only the size. hold the xl screen far enough away to match the OG size and you have the same results, its basic math.

Zaventem

Good. Going from DS XL supreme beauty to that piece of shit is one of the biggest things i'll forever be disgusted with them for and i didn't even buy the original. Less that one year and they shit on everyone that bought the OG too.

The 2ds is so much better than the XL it's crazy. $99 and it's the most ergonomic Nintendo handheld in a long time. People will nitpick the specs, but being able to reach the dpad and play a game for longer than 10 minutes without my hands going numb means I am actually starting to play some of the games I started on the XL and couldn't be bothered to finish. The 2ds actually feels like a throwback to when a Game Boy meant a cheap, durable, comfortable handheld, instead of a haphazard conglomeration of gimmicks.

'but the speaker is mono!'

So was Sgt. Pepper.

Zing

Banned
the screen specs haven't changed only the size. hold the xl screen far enough away to match the OG size and you have the same results, its basic math.
Sounds good in theory, but something isn't quite right. I too have found much more crosstalk on the XL. Probably due to the larger pixels or possibly lower quality panel.

Banned
Honestly the only reason I upgraded to the XL was because it was matte inside and out, the select, home and start buttons were actual buttons instead of all one giant plastic strip, and the shoulder buttons were actually buttons and not cell phone camera triggers from 2004.

The 3DS lite or whatever is probably going to be the same size and shape as the OG 3DS but in matte with the same buttons as the XL, the crappier speakers, better battery, and no light up "3D" icon to let you know the 3D is on.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I would flip for a 3DS designed exactly like the old DS lite models albeit with better hinges of course. Those, to me, remain the best looking handhelds to date

#team2DStho

3DS XL size with DSLite design would make the best thing ever. Especially if it came in white, the white DS Lite was a thing of beauty. Oh how I loved the glossy design.

RM8

OG 3DS <3

I'll buy another one before they completely disappear, in case something happens to my launch unit. Maybe purple this time.

The 2ds is so much better than the XL it's crazy. $99 and it's the most ergonomic Nintendo handheld in a long time. People will nitpick the specs, but being able to reach the dpad and play a game for longer than 10 minutes without my hands going numb means I am actually starting to play some of the games I started on the XL and couldn't be bothered to finish. The 2ds actually feels like a throwback to when a Game Boy meant a cheap, durable, comfortable handheld, instead of a haphazard conglomeration of gimmicks.

'but the speaker is mono!'

So was Sgt. Pepper.

Completely agree. I hope Nintendo goes with a more aesthetically pleasing version of the 2DS design for the console/handheld hybrid thing to follow the 3ds.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
So if this is legit and Nintendo aren't announcing "new" hardware at E3, can we expect something to be shown before or after the show?

JackHerer

I understand that it is the same resolution. Thanks for the basic math lesson though... Just speaking from my experience that the sweet spot for the smaller 3DS is much easier to find than the XL. It's not like I'm the first person to ever report this. It's much more noticeable on certain games than others though. I remember it being particularly annoying in Luigi's Mansion. Even in OoT I would generally just turn the 3D way down (but not off) to avoid the double image on my XL.

MrBS

Still rocking my ambassador 3DS. Scratched to hell and looking worse for wear. I waited so long for a black 3DSXL in the US I lost interest. I'm currently holding out for a custom. Theatrhythm or Persona to the US please!

BCDAWG7

Loved my launch 3ds but unfortunately lost it in a house fire. Upgraded to the 3ds xl and am really liking the extra screen space and it's more comfortable to hold. But man that original 3ds is sharp looking.

big_z

if there is another revision of the 3DS, I hope they find a way to keep the XL screen size but double the resolution. however this is Nintendo, odds are they're simply discontinuing the OG since the other two outsell it, and it gives them more shelf space for limited editions. if anything they will announce a price drop as these things regularly go on sale for 50+ below MSRP.

I understand that it is the same resolution. Thanks for the basic math lesson though... Just speaking from my experience that the sweet spot for the smaller 3DS is much easier to find than the XL. It's not like I'm the first person to ever report this. It's much more noticeable on certain games than others though. I remember it being particularly annoying in Luigi's Mansion. Even in OoT I would generally just turn the 3D way down (but not off) to avoid the double image on my XL.

for every person like you theres one that find the XL easier to see the 3D. its the same deal, you find the original easier to work with because it fits with how you position yourself when playing better. to each their own.

Tom_Cody

if there is another revision of the 3DS, I hope they find a way to keep the XL screen size but double the resolution. however this is Nintendo, odds are they're simply discontinuing the OG since the other two outsell it, and it gives them more shelf space for limited editions. if anything they will announce a price drop as these things regularly go on sale for 50+ below MSRP.
What do you mean by this? Even if they increased the resolution of the screen itself, older software wouldn't be compatible this feature.
for every person like you theres one that find the XL easier to see the 3D. its the same deal, you find the original easier to work with because it fits with how you position yourself when playing better. to each their own.
I am one of these people.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to laugh if people are expecting a redesign but Nintendo's ends up just sticking with the 2DS and 3DS XL models.

magnetic

What I would love - and it´s honestly the only thing I really see happening - is a new 3DS with the same size as the old 3DS, but with the screen taking up more space of the upper lid. I´m actually fine with the general size of the OG 3DS, but the bezel just takes up way too much space.

What do you mean by this? Even if they increased the resolution of the screen itself, older software wouldn't be compatible this feature.I am one of these people.

I see these comments pop up all the time. Sometimes I wonder if these people even understand the concept of resolutions and why "bumping up the resolution" would break compatibility.

The ONLY time Nintendo will increase resolution on a handheld is when it´s an entirely new system. You can´t change specs on a revision since you can´t just magically upscale all older games, and newer games wouldn´t work on older models.

Tom_Cody

I see these comments pop up all the time. Sometimes I wonder if these people even understand the concept of resolutions and why "bumping up the resolution" would break compatibility.

The ONLY time Nintendo will increase resolution on a handheld is when it´s an entirely new system. You can´t change specs on a revision since you can´t just magically upscale all older games, and newer games wouldn´t work on older models.
I think another issue is that a lot of people in this thread seem to not understand the difference between resolution and pixel density.

WillyFive

The 2nd analog stick is like the longest running joke of the 3DS. Its such a useless feature at this point in its life, it would be a vestigial control input.

Quoting is a pain on my phone right now, but for those saying you can't just up the resolution on older games... you can. There might be compatibility issues, but either the games would run at original resolution blown up to the screen size, or they could conceivably be patched. Emulators do this all the time, after all. I think the PS2 had a similar feature for PS1 games.

I'm not saying they'll do it, it's certainly not Nintendo's style to do so. But acting as if people are clueless for suggesting/hoping for it is a bit of a stretch. It's possible, it just depends on how Nintendo handles it.

Top Bottom