• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regular 3DS removed from NOA's site

Lebon14

It runs my ambassador GBA games pretty well apart from some slight blurring issues.

That's running in DS Mode and it has more issues than blurry image, for exemple: music bugs and even software bugs. Note that's emulating something that's emulated (3Ds running in DS Mode which is running in GBA compatibility - shit happens). Nintendo doesn't like it. NES, GB and GBC are the only thing the 3DS can run appropriately.

See also:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100695818&postcount=115

Basically Nintendo wants the feature of the handheld available and, while in DS mode, you lose all that.

It's not emulating them, though, it plays them in native DS mode (which is why they behave exactly like DS games on 3DS). That being said, it blows my mind that 3DS can't emulate GBA, I don't think that's the case at all. Even old open handhelds like the Dingoo could do it.

The problem with non-perfect emulation is that it rise issues within the games to the point where, if the game is not emulated perfectly, it can literally break the game. Nintendo doesn't want that to happen so they build, for each game, their own emulator. But the 3DS can't emulate them. This happens more often on underground/less known games than mainstream games.

Rich!

That's running in DS Mode and it has more issues than blurry image, for exemple: music bugs and even software bugs. Note that's emulating something that's emulated (3Ds running in DS Mode which is running in GBA compatibility - shit happens). Nintendo doesn't like it. NES, GB and GBC are the only thing the 3DS can run appropriately.

See also:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100695818&postcount=115

Basically Nintendo wants the feature of the handheld available and, while in DS mode, you lose all that.

You're halfway correct.

GBA on the 3DS is not emulation. It's hardware based. The 3DS literally turns into a GBA. That's the issue here.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I loved my purple 3DS and always thought I would prefer the smaller, sharper screen but once they released the Yoshi XL (I'd been waiting years for a green console) I never looked back. The OG version is uncomfortable to hold, scratches the screen and the 3D effect feels much more natural on a larger screen. I could never go back now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My initial thought was a 3DS lite, maybe without 3D to keep costs down, as a last desperate attempt to keep sales up for another 12 months.

But wasn't that the 2DS? I can't see any revision with a clamshell being cheaper than the 2DS, so why bother? Unless the 2DS reception has been poor due to the form factor?

Personally I'd rather just see their next portable, not a revision of what they have

boyshine

This is news to GAF? I'm shocked. OG 3DS has been more or less gone from retail for about a year with the exception of a few colours and bundles.. Yes, you could still find it, but the face out has been very clear.

Releasing a redesign now is a mistake in my opinion. They should simply remove "XL" from the "3DS XL" name and have 2 choices. 2DS and 3DS. There's too much confusion going on about what the 2DS is to bring another product into the mix. Simplify, clarify, then expand.

Griss

In my dreams: A 3DS Premier - a little slimmer than the standard 3DS with twice the screen resolution and improved power to upres all the games for 300 dollars. New games would still be tied to the old 3DS standard only - this thing only uses its power to up the resolution. They might only sell about 10,000 of them because of the cheaper options, but fuck me do I want it.

Would be nice: A 3DS Lite - just a nicer OG 3DS with a far better battery.

What's actually happening: The OG 3DS is being phased out for the 3DS XL.

Tambini

I still have my launch day aqua blue and the squeaky dpad drives me insane. I would consider getting an XL or a 3ds lite just to stop me going insane.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Hypothetically... could they release a new 2D 3DS (not an ugly ass 2DS) with a higher resolution?

In 2D it's 400x240, 3D is 800x240 (split for each eye), could they just give us the extra pixels with no 3D, how hard would it be to just have an option like 3D and 2D currently is simply on or off? Instead of 3D, you just get double the resolution, which 3D does anyway... I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to backwards implement it into older games so probably not...

Hypothetically... could they release a new 2D 3DS (not an ugly ass 2DS) with a higher resolution?

In 2D it's 400x240, 3D is 800x240 (split for each eye), could they just give us the extra pixels with no 3D, how hard would it be to just have an option like 3D and 2D currently is simply on or off? Instead of 3D, you just get double the resolution, which 3D does anyway... I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to backwards implement it into older games so probably not...

The 800x 240 resolution is because its displaying two images. It's not an increase in resolution.

3DS with built in NFC incoming?

The 800x 240 resolution is because its displaying two images. It's not an increase in resolution.

It's still twice the physical number of pixels.
edit: If I wasn't clear I should say twice the physical number of pixels than you need to display a 400x240 2D image.

javac

Dual sticks edition let's go

What's the point? 3DS is probably nearing it's final years and we've never really needed two sticks on the 3DS outside of a few games you could count on a single hand and they generally played fine without a second stick built-in, either through other means or the CPP. No point driving up the cost and size and adding other things to it that are unnecessary.

MilesTeg

Banned
If there is a new model with a better screen that isn't noticeably smaller than XL and still has 3D, I'll want it. The XL screen is just so pixelated and it creates jaggies that aren't there when playing on OG. I like it for regular DS games but 3DS games can look pretty bad.

I've been calling for a new model for a very long time. Nintendo needs this console to have it's "DS Lite" moment. Sales are down and the market is ready for a sexy new model (not the 2DS).

Tenrius

I don't think it means they're working on a new model. Why would they? It's just the case of the original 3DS being no longer relevant, the same it was with OG DS and DS lite/DSi.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's still twice the physical number of pixels.

Just because it's using a parralax barrier doesn't mean it's a physical increase in resolution.

The 3DS top screen outputs at one fixed resolution.

nintendo-3ds-587fnr.jpg

I would pay $250 for a 3DS XL that wasn't a creeky mess with a terrible hinge that always feels 2 seconds away from breaking. I love the games, but actively dislike the hardware quality.

You can already do this... Just turn 3D on but put it at it's lowest.

Each eye is still only getting 400x240 (the way the pixels are designed doesn't allow for you to view both sets from one eye), but there is essentially no seperation at the lowest setting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Revision model incoming. Glad I lowballed every GAFer in the Buy Sell Trade thread. They knew this model was inevitable but their hubris caused me to skip every offer. Now I'll just pick up the new and improved model.

Rich!

Anyway, I've been saying an OG revision would happen sooner or later. It'll likely be a DSi esque change so it fits in with the Wii U/3DS XL/2DS design cues.

I doubt they'd make it smaller.

Sapiens

If there is a OG redesign, I hope they keep they can actually make the screens a little bigger.

Hell, maybe they can go the extra mile and make the OS features work faster, and thus, be worthwhile.

Just because it's using a parralax barrier doesn't mean it's a physical increase in resolution.

The 3DS top screen outputs at one fixed resolution.

nintendo-3ds-587fnr.jpg

I'm not sure what you're saying.

top screen is 800x240. You could theoretically display a single 800x240 image on it, possibly just with a change of firmware. Currently in 2D mode each LR pair shares the same value, so it has the effect of looking 400x240.

It seems very Aaron Greebergesque to point out that you're always looking at a 800x240 screen.

MADGAME

I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the original Gameboy. Been wanting to pick one of these up; I've been shopping around but now I'll wait. Hoping for a model similar in sized to XL but with increased resolution.

Vashetti

Banned
I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since the original Gameboy. Been wanting to pick one of these up; I've been shopping around but now I'll wait. Hoping for a model similar in sized to XL but with increased resolution.

Increased resolution isn't going to happen.

Josh7289

I'm not sure what you're saying.

top screen is 800x240. You could theoretically display a single 800x240 image on it, possibly just with a change of firmware. Currently in 2D mode each LR pair shares the same value, so it has the effect of looking 400x240.

Yeah, it's also important to note that the 3DS's pixels are not square. The width of each pixel is half its height. That's why when each pair of pixels shares the same value (in 2D mode), the image looks fine: those 800 'thin' pixels are each combined (in software) in a pair with another 'thin' pixel to make 400 regular square pixels.

If you actually wanted to display a different value on each of the 800 'thin' pixels, you'd have to make sure the software understands that they're a non-standard shape (so that the aspect ratio of the image rendered is not incorrect). So theoretically it may be possible, but maybe Nintendo doesn't allow it.

rokero

I'm down for a redesign, they should eliminate the og model have the 2DS at $99 and the 3DSi for $130 and 3DSi XL for $160

Yeah, it's also important to note that the 3DS's pixels are not square. The width of each pixel is half its height. That's why when each pair of pixels shares the same value (in 2D mode), the image looks fine: those 800 'thin' pixels are each combined (in software) in a pair with another 'thin' pixel to make 400 regular square pixels.

If you actually wanted to display a different value on each of the 800 'thin' pixels, you'd have to make sure the software understands that they're a non-standard shape (so that the aspect ratio of the image rendered is not incorrect). So theoretically it may be possible, but maybe Nintendo doesn't allow it.

It could be that the LCD chip only has two modes, interleave two pictures, or double up horizontal pixels. In which case to display a single 800x240 you'd have to interleave your picture manually so the LCD chip can decode it back again, which wouldn't be ideal. But a hardware revision could have the extra options, and they could stick a 800x480 screen in there if they wanted to.

Ah shit. I traded in my 3DSXL for a Vita because I own all the Sony consoles and the games are more for me.

But if they announce a new 3DS model, god help me.

3DS with built in NFC incoming?

I definitely think a new model would have NFC. Nintendo already said that they were launching an NFC add-on for older models, so having one that has it already baked in makes sense. NFC is also a component that takes up VERY little space, component-wise, so they could still make a new 3DS smaller/thinner with it in there.

sörine

Banned
No.
The 3DS isn't powerful enough to emulate the GBA. That's it, that's all. Software will not fix it.
It doesn't even need to do full emulation though. The CPU calls could run natively and they could emulate the rest. That's how PS1 Classics work on PSP, a hybrid CPU/emulation approach. They wouldn't have to do it in "DS mode" either so they could keep OS features running.

Tygamr

I don't think it would be weird if it was a new revision. They never really released an upgraded 3DS- all they did was split it into three separate lines that were not really improvements, but different options for people with different preferences.

I would gladly trade my XL for a new standard 3DS that had a sleeker, XL-like design (I HATE the design of the original 3DS). I like the XL, but I kind of miss the smaller screen of the original. The bigger screen is an improvement in some ways (3D effect works better and has a better viewing angle), but the picture is a lot less sharp.

sörine;112359430 said:
It doesn't even need to do full emulation though. The CPU calls could run natively and they could emulate the rest. That's how PS1 Classics work on PSP, a hybrid CPU/emulation approach. They wouldn't have to do it in "DS mode" either so they could keep OS features running.

there are gba emulators for ds ffs, nintendo is just full of bs , they just want to keep those games exclusive to wii u ...

Prophezz

Banned
I still have my fire red OG 3DS (that came packed with Mario 3D Land) and I would never trade this beautiful piece of hardware fore the 3DS XL. I don't care about the size at all, it's the exterior of the 3DS XL that bothers me. Like someone said before, it looks like cheap plastic compared to the shiny finish of the OG 3DS.

No.
The 3DS isn't powerful enough to emulate the GBA. That's it, that's all. Software will not fix it.

That's factually wrong. The PSP and DS could emulate the GBA. The 3DS would have no problem with it. Nintendo is just trying to artificially inflate the Wii U's value keeping the GBA VC there.

koutoru

Still have my original black 3DS I bought back when it was $250.

I don't see a need to buy an XL when I have a perfectly fine 3DS anyway.

That's factually wrong. The PSP and DS could emulate the GBA. The 3DS would have no problem with it. Nintendo is just trying to artificially inflate the Wii U's value keeping the GBA VC there.

The DS did not emulate GBA games, it simulated it. The DS' 2D processor was basically a GBA processor in clocked at a higher rate. While this processor is included in the 3DS, its used to run background processes which would be disabled when used to run GBA games. This means no home menu, no sleep mode nor multiplayer. It's easy to see why Ninty gave away all those ambassador games away for free.

As for the emulation, it's still uncertain whether or not Nintendo can emulate GBA games on the 3DS hardware while including all of the features they would want to include, and even if they could it's probably better to release them first on a dying console.

Top Bottom