• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox owners are deserting Microsoft consoles for the PlayStation 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiept

Banned
What a valuable survey. So, it reveals that people make choices based on what is important to them.

Huge revelation.

It was a Hell of a lot cheaper then it is now. The Wii was cheap, ps3 was free online, and both HD twins had entry level SKUs.

250 for Wii + 500 for entry PS3 + 300 for Entry 360 + 60 for XBL

300 for entry Wii U + 500 for XB1 + 400 for PS4 + 60 for XBL + 50 for PSN

aint that much cheaper

People mostly play multiplats and PS4 is more powerful console with cheaper price tag. Not surprising. I don't even think that the horrible pr by MS affects that much to the difference.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It can also start to annoy a little as you can see your consoles often just collecting dust, but that's just one of the risks of being an avid gamer.

For example, my 3DS XL hadn't been used for weeks until last night when I had a sudden urge to play Dark Moon and boy was I happy I had to hand.
This "my console/handheld/pc is collecting dust" thing is such a strange meme to me.

Every time I don't play my devices they collect dust. To me it's just a completely meaningless thing to say.

I had all the consoles and all the handhelds and a gaming pc last generation and every device was all the time collecting dust. To me that was never any indicator whether or not they had good games, just an indicator over how much I choose to play them. And there are many reasons for choosing to play one system over the others.

For example I travel a lot, so I'm much more likely to play my Vita, 3DS or a game that runs on a low powered laptop. There is no conclusion to draw from this about the gaming PC, PS3 or 360.
Sometimes I don't play anything for a few weeks because I like to read or watch tv shows or movies.

I don't know what the point of this rant is but I dislike that phrase.

~~Hasan~~

Do you have a favourite soft drink, snack, candy, any other kind of food? If you do, you're an idiot according to your own thinking.

what kind of logic is that please ?

my Fav food doesn't mean i only eat one thing for the rest of my life. i will enjoy other food too.

buying one console doesn't make you enjoy the exclusives of other consoles " or food based on your weird logic "

iMerc

this rhetoric is so fucking tiring. at least for anyone with any sense of intelligence.
who cares.

these two systems have barely been out. give them at least a year on the market before we start making judgements on either.

and even then, they'll both have enough quality titles to justify their purchases.
anything that remotely smells like console war rhetoric is stupid. at least for me.

iamjohn

Holy shit this Yahoo study is awful. You can't issue a survey like this that early in these consoles' lifespans. Chances are, all of those "dual-owners" will own both eventually, but just happened to get the PS4. That doesn't mean they're deserting microsoft.

Holy shit this Yahoo study is awful. You can't issue a survey like this that early in these consoles' lifespans. Chances are, all of those "dual-owners" will own both eventually, but just happened to get the PS4. That doesn't mean they're deserting microsoft.

What makes you think that?

benny_a

The fact that they owned both the 360 and the PS3.
As a owner of both, I'm extremely unlikely to pick up the Xbone at this point.

One and a half year ago I was very likely to pick up the Xbox successor, because I was thinking that they would follow the same procedure as with the two last Xbox launches.
(Very high price-performance, focus on core gamer.)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This describes every single one of my gamer friends who were all 360 only with no interest in the PS3.

Card Boy

Banned
Why? Why doesn't everybody just enjoy every console exclusive games? People are wasting a lot of good experiences due to fanboyism. I wont "switch" im keeping them all.

I have 600 steam games and a fuck load of console/handheld games across iOS/Wii/360/PS3/3ds so your argument about good experiences is irrelevant to me.

I can afford to tell MS to fuck off and I won't even care if I miss out on any Xbone experiences.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Yeah, that route is definitely not for everyone, but it's a good one if you can take it. You never miss out on any games and you rarely have to concern yourself with trying to convince yourself you don't want a certain game...

It can also start to annoy a little as you can see your consoles often just collecting dust, but that's just one of the risks of being an avid gamer.

For example, my 3DS XL hadn't been used for weeks until last night when I had a sudden urge to play Dark Moon and boy was I happy I had to hand.

I had a PS3 and I still have a Vita, a 360, a 3DS and an XB1. If Sony ever get any decent exclusives i'll get a PS4 as well but I didn't like their PS3 stuff except for Infamous and Heavy Rain. Really want to hear about GG's RPG.

CthulhuPL

Autarch Cerny have spoken today to the people:

My people... Sons and Daughters of SonyGAF...
For many years, we have been a broken nation: shunned, oppressed, and conquered by those Xbots we sought to escape.
One year ago, I asked for time, and that time was granted by you.
You: the strength in my arm, the holders of my dreams...
Our forefathers embarked on the greatest exodus in the history of all mankind.
An exodus for freedom, Playstation became that freedom.
Our new console changed our minds. At first, it weakened us, but in fact, we were growing... stronger.
In the time you have given me, I have rebuilt our nation, I have rebuilt our strength, and I have rebuilt our pride!
Our enemies at home have been re-educated; we have given them new games into our cause.
On this day, we stand united once more. On this day, those driven to divide us will hear our voice! On this day, we shall act as one, and we shall be ignored NO MORE! Defenders of the Playstation dream, NOW IS OUR TIME!

Sorry, I'm drunk, don't ban please!

iamjohn

As a owner of both, I'm extremely unlikely to pick up the Xbone at this point.

One and a half year ago I was very likely to pick up the Xbox successor, because I was thinking that they would follow the same procedure as with the two last Xbox launches.
(Very high price-performance, focus on core gamer.)

"At this point." I bet a price drop would change your and many other's opinion. Not to say that there are people who definitely won't get an XB1 (hell, you may be one of them), but it's just BS for Yahoo make a statement like that.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yup. This Gen I bought PS4 at launch because of the $100 difference. Didn't feel like paying the Kinect tax. I'll pick up the XBone later when Halo comes around. Last Gen I went with 360 first and then PS3 later on.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

2+ console owners are rarities.

Mandoric

Banned

There's desertion as 'just not buying', but there's also desertion as in 'focusing on the Sony ecosystem'. If the guys who were satisfied with Live Gold this gen end up satisfied with PS+ next gen, that's several billion dollars changing hands.

Sakujou

Banned
ms fucked it up really with their presentation with call of duty, sports and tv.

i would also jump to ps4, but both systems are not appealing to me. iam still sticking to last gen and handhelds.

benny_a

"At this point." I bet a price drop would change your and many other's opinion. Not to say that there are people who definitely won't get an XB1 (hell, you may be one of them), but it's just BS for Yahoo make a statement like that.
Oh sure. I think the Yahoo headline is over reaching and the conclusion drawn by the study is something that most people could have predicted based on the participants.

I'm just saying that there are certain things that the Xbone has done that they can't undo.

To target me and I claim traditional Xbox fans (based on the anticipation of the May reveal) they should have used the silicon budget (which they have more of than PS4) for better specs.

Gazkapop

I don't doubt it, but is a poll on Yahoo really a "report?"

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

Sony, weirdly, is completely failing to deliver.

And heck, it's actually performing better on a few multiplatform games (wtf).

That's cute.

DryvBy

Why? Why doesn't everybody just enjoy every console exclusive games? People are wasting a lot of good experiences due to fanboyism. I wont "switch" im keeping them all.

Because $500. Because not everyone wants to pay 2 fees to play their games. Because 720p. Because it's less powerful.

Years later, I'll probably get one like I'll get a WiiU.

Fewr

No must have stuff on xbo, the future looks more promising on ps4.
Oh and charging extra for f'n netflix? Harha, quoth the raven.

Ont

Because people want the best looking performing versions and won't settle for less.

It's normal.

After witnessing all console wars since Nintendo vs Sega times I have to say that clearly is not the truth.

The weakest consoles of the previous generations were Wii, PS2 and PSone. These were also the best selling consoles of their generations.

However that will probably change now with the Wii U, which is clearly lacking those great exclusive games one year after its release. The Wii was a really weak console but it launched with Wii Sports, and a new Zelda game, which were shortly followed by Metroid Prime 3.

My point is that competition between Xbox One and PS4 will not be decided by the technology inside those machines. Those consoles are far too close to each other for a casual gamer to see any difference in resolution or framerate.

The only thing that matters is which company has most must have games on their platform.

d9b

Banned
this rhetoric is so fucking tiring. at least for anyone with any sense of intelligence.
who cares.

these two systems have barely been out. give them at least a year on the market before we start making judgements on either.

and even then, they'll both have enough quality titles to justify their purchases.
anything that remotely smells like console war rhetoric is stupid. at least for me.
Microsoft should care. Because they made balls of many people's bellowed brand. Can they claw their way back into our hearts? Personally I don't think so, but I guess time will tell.

The single biggest factor is the PS4 being a hundred dollars cheaper. No way around it.

As soon as MS gets their shit together and finds a way to shave the price difference off the fight will be much more interesting (in North America).

FeiRR

Banned
what kind of logic is that please ?

my Fav food doesn't mean i only eat one thing for the rest of my life. i will enjoy other food too.

buying one console doesn't make you enjoy the exclusives of other consoles " or food based on your weird logic "

Now imagine you're buying a bottle of expensive wine/whisky. Would you choose one which you have experience with and enjoyed or try something new, risking a lot of money on it? Or maybe one which you know but wasn't that good last time you tried?

When people buy consoles day 1, they hope to play games on the for a significant period of time, 5-6 years in most cases. We have no idea what games will come out beyond maybe a year's stretch. Your investment is therefore based on belief that the system holder will deliver those games and they will be good. That is brand loyalty but tell me, how is it stupid? You're trying to get the most of your money. To the contrary, I consider buying things just because you can quite an immature behaviour.

Zornack

If someone really is going to be a single console owner this gen, it seems like a bad idea to pick a side already.

Why? The majority of games are multiplatform. One console is cheaper and plays those games better. It seems like a pretty straightforward decision to me.

iamjohn

The single biggest factor is the PS4 being a hundred dollars cheaper. No way around it.

As soon as MS gets their shit together and finds a way to shave the price difference off the fight will be much more interesting (in North America).

Hmmm how could they cut the price down...think think think......

If someone really is going to be a single console owner this gen, it seems like a bad idea to pick a side already.
Pretty much why I went with PS4 and Wii-U (complimented by PC): I get the best in exclusives and the best in multiplats. If Xbone were to get an exclusive that is "must have" to me, I would eventually get that too.

I'm not really that interested in picking sides, just interested in the good games.

Certainly fits with all the facts and many of the anecdotal reports.

Combination of PS4 being so good and Xbone being such a clusterfuck clearly hasn't been lost on a lot of people and they're simply going with the better, cheaper option.

I don't doubt I'll buy an Xbone some day, but it's going to need to get a lot cheaper and get some worthwhile games out first tbh.

sajj316

Seems the only ones buying Xbox One from those that I know are either hardcore Xbox guys or not in the know of differences (technical) as well as the DRM fiasco. Consider my company who purchased an Xbox One for the game room despite my recommendation for a PS4 because it has that "Kinect". It's been a month now and the only game that gets played constantly is FIFA. I will occasionally peek into the room and yell Xbox and it auto pauses the game ... have to use that Kinect somehow ..

Gotta throw my hat in. That's me. I owned both an Xbox 360 and a PS3 last gen, and I own just a PS4 now. Though I can see myself owning an X bone much later down the road for exclusives once the price is right. Meaning sub-$300.

I don't doubt it, but is a poll on Yahoo really a "report?"

From a site that considers Thief a "stellar addition" to the games coming out right now?

Right now, Microsoft is beating the crap out of Sony in the exclusives department, with a stronger launch line up, a stronger selection of developers (nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody), and more announced games, with more to come.

Sony, weirdly, is completely failing to deliver.

And heck, it's actually performing better on a few multiplatform games (wtf).

Hey look, it's the guy that believes that only Microsoft works with the best studios and that Sony doesn't even have a single good one.

LowerLevel

I kind of agree with you.

What makes you think that?

I am in the same boat, except it's the Xb1 first because of the way better launch line up IMO.

The biggest issue that this way of thinking (owning only one) is that when there IS an exclusive peeps do want to play on the opposing system of choice, people bitch and complain ("Money hats!", "Most likely sucks anyways!", "Will eventually come to ???", "I actually played it and it isn't that good/not as good as the previous games in series", "Company X has buttloads of $ and will buy more exclusives/devs") I still remember the ire from people about LO and BD when they came out because the Ps3 at the time didn't really have any true Jrpg's. Man, remember when Ace Combat 6 came out? Yeah... (see above)

~~Hasan~~

Now imagine you're buying a bottle of expensive wine/whisky. Would you choose one which you have experience with and enjoyed or try something new, risking a lot of money on it? Or maybe one which you know but wasn't that good last time you tried?

When people buy consoles day 1, they hope to play games on the for a significant period of time, 5-6 years in most cases. We have no idea what games will come out beyond maybe a year's stretch. Your investment is therefore based on belief that the system holder will delivere those games and they will be good. That is brand loyalty but tell me, how is it stupid? You're trying to get the most of your money. To the contrary, I consider buying things just because you can quite an immature behaviour.

man lol. you are funny ^_^

for your first question, i will not limit my self to one drink, i will try different drinks, and if i have this urge to drink a specific "wine" i will go ahead and drink it. i will have something called "options" to what to drink " or in gaming worlds, to play"

and its a common sense to get the most value of your system. you didnt make any point here to be honest. buying a system and not using it is useless and waste of money. that is a common sense. but its not a common sense to buy an X console only even though you also enjoy / want to play exclusive games from Y console.

Fanboy is someone who denying to buy a Y system even if there are good games on it because he likes the brand X. and that is stupid.

Not buying a Y system because you do not like its games / Money issues doesn't make you a fanboy of X system.

check where you stand.

i can't afford 3 systems. so i bought one. next few months i will be buying the other and so on. why limit my self to one system when there are other games i want to play on different systems IF i have the consoles ?

Edit : also i didn't say what you said is stupid. i said weird :)

FiggyCal

Banned

It is not a yahoo news story. The original story was written for bgr.com and it uses Dealnews.com as its source.

Darksol

(nobody at Sony can touch Remedy or Insomniac--nobody),

mr-burns-laughing.gif

Naughty Dog
Studio Santa Monica
Team Ico
Sucker Punch
Media Molecule

DSN2K

yep I switched sides this gen, Xbox One never sat right for me. Too many questions from the get go and its underpowered and overpriced. I do not Value Kinect or any of the TV Media stuff. I also have a top of the range PC to go with my PS4, why play Titanfall in sub 60fps in 792p when I can do it properly !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom