• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Javin98

Banned
It's part of one of the Wii rail shooters; along with the completely canonical Russian disco Tyrants.

images
Wait, what? I'm so confused right now. Is my sarcasm meter broken?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait, what? I'm so confused right now. Is my sarcasm meter broken?

The 'Disco' part is an appearance joke, but the source is completely true. Umbrella Chronicles the Rail Shooter shows what Wesker was doing in Zero, REmake, and RE3, as well as the scenario for Jill, Chris, and Wesker in 2002 Russia with one of the last remaining Umbrella facilities. There's some dumb Russian Tyrants, those disco-looking ones, and the giant cyborg one.

In Wesker's scenario, he keeps on getting harassed by Lisa and ultimately finally leaves her incapacitated for the explosion of the mansion in the mansion hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1LStsf7_2M

^There's one of the Lisa scenes in Wesker's RE1 scenario.

And here's the T.A.L.O.S. theme, which is the cyborg Tyrant.

latest%2Btalos.jpg
TALOS2UC.jpg

Javin98

Banned
Oh, my God. I really thought that disco Tyrant was a joke and I was being played like a damn fiddle, LMAO. What the hell? Haha.

Anyway, I just came off a bit disappointed having read those events in the Wiki and just seeing Liza jump down the hole with her mother's skull. I even reloaded a save to battle her and shot her down that hole, LOL.

Thanks for the links, Dusk! I'll watch them later.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Umbrella Chronicles is fun to play, but the original stuff (characters and monsters) are so poorly designed.

Definitely agree, though some of the music in Umbrella Chronicles is great.

The original content in Darkside Chronicles was definitely a LOT better than Umbrella Chronicles. Story was a lot better obviously, but I thought the new scenario was a lot more interesting, and the new monsters had MUCH better designs. Also Darkside Chronicle's OST is also amazing.

Golnei

I actually don't think Sergei was a bad design, so much as stuck in the totally wrong game and visual style.

latest

He'd be a natural fit for Street Fighter, but in Resident Evil he looks completely off.

Astral

I forgot how stupid (in a good way) the final Ustanak fight is. Does Jake have super strength or something? How does he beat that monster in a fist fight?

Zambatoh

He's not that powerful. The only reason he even damages the Ustanak at all is because of that drill sized hole in it's stomach.

Astral

I don't know, that last punch looked ridiculously powerful. It looked like Ustanak's jaw broke. I ship the hell out of Jake and Sherry btw. That scene after they beat Ustanak is cute. Jake's kinda ugo though. He's not as pretty as Leon or as hunky as Chris.

RSB

Banned
They should make a Revelations 3 with RE6 mechanics and controls. And include Raid AND Mercs in the same package!
I'd love this (hell, anything that keeps that sweet RE6 gameplay alive is fine by me) That way we would have Revelations 3 for action RE fans, REmake 2 for classic RE fans, and RE7 for Outlast fans.

So I've been playing Arrange in RE1 and good lord it gets absurd when the hunters show up. Everything pre-return to the mansion was a refreshing change of pace but this is kind of terrible lol. Hunters everywhere and they take a minimum of two grenade rounds no matter what type.

Astral

Holy shit Mercenaries No Mercy is insane. I just tried Creature Workshop and killed the 300th enemy with 11 milliseconds on the clock. I think if I wasn't Ada I wouldn't have even survived.

Neiteio

Holy shit Mercenaries No Mercy is insane. I just tried Creature Workshop and killed the 300th enemy with 11 milliseconds on the clock. I think if I wasn't Ada I wouldn't have even survived.
I just got 300 on Creature Workshop No Mercy a few days ago, using Schoolgirl Sherry. I had like five seconds left on the clock. It's intense the way the enemies block the walkways. And then you add snipers to the mix... Yikes!

Astral

I just got 300 on Creature Workshop No Mercy a few days ago, using Schoolgirl Sherry. I had like five seconds left on the clock. It's intense the way the enemies block the walkways. And then you add snipers to the mix... Yikes!

I got trapped at the end of a walkway near the end with a sniper trying to shoot me from across. I got extremely lucky with my slide spamming. I always end up dropping my combos in Mercs which pisses me off but I started having more fun once I stopped trying so desperately to keep a combo going and just focus on killing everyone or at least surviving.

Neiteio

I got trapped at the end of a walkway near the end with a sniper trying to shoot me from across. I got extremely lucky with my slide spamming. I always end up dropping my combos in Mercs which pisses me off but I started having more fun once I stopped trying so desperately to keep a combo going and just focus on killing everyone or at least surviving.
I got a 300 combo on the run I mentioned, but there were many points I nearly lost it. In fact, once or twice I'm not sure how I kept it going. There was a point I had an army of shield j'avo coming up the walkway, and I leapt backwards while firing my shotgun. It must've hit someone because my combo was about to run out but it kept going. I captured video of this on PS4; I should upload it to share.

BTW, if you're using Ada, I don't know if you know this, but she has bomb arrows you can access with her bowgun by aiming and tapping triangle to switch ammo types (note you'll have to reload an arrow upon doing this).

Mr_Zombie

BTW, if you're using Ada, I don't know if you know this, but she has bomb arrows you can access with her bowgun by aiming and tapping triangle to switch ammo types (note you'll have to reload an arrow upon doing this).

Also, quick shot automatically makes Ada reload her bowgun while she's finishing the flip animation - that's really useful since normal bowgun reload animation can be quite long.

Neiteio

Just did Requiem for War in No Mercy, experimenting with Leon's dual pistols, and got a 300 combo. Feels good man. I also got a 300 combo on this stage with Helena (default) and Sherry (costume 1).

Astral

I got a 300 combo on the run I mentioned, but there were many points I nearly lost it. In fact, once or twice I'm not sure how I kept it going. There was a point I had an army of shield j'avo coming up the walkway, and I leapt backwards while firing my shotgun. It must've hit someone because my combo was about to run out but it kept going. I captured video of this on PS4; I should upload it to share.

Also, quick shot automatically makes Ada reload her bowgun while she's finishing the flip animation - that's really useful since normal bowgun reload animation can be quite long.

Yeah I knew about both of these. I abused the shit out of them. The quick shot is extremely useful for saving reload time. I really wish fast reload was a skill in Mercs.

BadWolf

Finished REmake, this is probably one of the most "perfect" games I've played.

From the visuals to the gameplay, everything just felt so right.

The level and scenario design in particular, which has been a huge problem for Capcom in recent years (looking at you RE6 and DMC4), was simply masterful.

People tend to commend Dark Souls in the way it connects levels but REmake does it extremely well as well, tbh it felt like Souls took inspiration from it for connecting areas (via closed doors, elevators, opening short cuts etc.) and having 'safety' spots (bonfires vs. type writer/chest rooms).

The game was also a good reminder of where my item and ammo hoarding tendencies have come from. At first I was feeling the burn but as usual by the middle and till the end I was pretty much armed to the teeth with both ammo and health items... and was still hoarding lol.

Interesting to see that Mikami took the zombie burning mechanic from REmake and made it a pretty big focus in Evil Within.

I know Jawmuncher has been bringing up the point about Capcom going the 3D route instead of the classic one for REmake 2, and it is a very valid point and I wouldn't be surprised if it made the game sell better but imo we really need at least one more game in the exact style and quality of the first REmake, especially with RE2. I'll be fine either way since I love both styles of RE but another full on classic RE with REmake 2 needs to happen.

Neiteio

Finished REmake, this is probably one of the most "perfect" games I've played.

From the visuals to the gameplay, everything just felt so right.

The level and scenario design in particular, which has been a huge problem for Capcom in recent years (looking at you RE6 and DMC4), was simply masterful.

People tend to commend Dark Souls in the way it connects levels but REmake does it extremely well as well, tbh it felt like Souls took inspiration from it for connecting areas (via closed doors, elevators, opening short cuts etc.) and having 'safety' spots (bonfires vs. type writer/chest rooms).

The game was also a good reminder of where my item and ammo hoarding tendencies have come from. At first I was feeling the burn but as usual by the middle and till the end I was pretty much armed to the teeth with both ammo and health items... and was still hoarding lol.

Interesting to see that Mikami took the zombie burning mechanic from REmake and made it a pretty big focus in Evil Within.

I know Jawmuncher has been bringing up the point about Capcom going the 3D route instead of the classic one for REmake 2, and it is a very valid point and I wouldn't be surprised if it made the game sell better but imo we really need at least one more game in the exact style and quality of the first REmake, especially with RE2. I'll be fine either way since I love both styles of RE but another full on classic RE with REmake 2 needs to happen.
The item balance can be pretty unforgiving in REmake. If you're playing on the highest difficulty available at the start (which is the intended experience, being the game's default and recommended difficulty), then you can find yourself in a situation where you have to play for hours without dying just to find another ink ribbon so you can save. I was being careful with my ink ribbons, too, only saving after making notable progress (i.e. a couple puzzles and fetch quests, a half-dozen rooms cleared out, etc).

I'm not complaining, though. It's just amazing how brutal it can be at points.

Neiteio

So here's my dream RE game, at least in terms of the characters:

First, the structure:

One long journey like RE4. Two scenarios like RE2, complete with a more robust zapping system than either RE2 or Revelations 2. The scenarios cross over at points like RE2 or RE6. And within each scenario you bounce back and forth between multiple parties, i.e. Revelations. So perhaps it would have an episodic structure, but they could also make it seamless and simply bounce back and forth with "smash to black."

The reason for this structure is so I can fit in all the characters I want to see explored. In one scenario you have former STARS members Chris, Jill and Barry, along with Barry's daughter Moira, now a field agent after overcoming her fear of firearms in Revelations 2. Perhaps Barry is trying to find Natalia after she disappears, and he enlists his former comrades to help. In the other scenario you have RE2 survivors Leon, Claire and Sherry, along with Jake. Maybe they're investigating something at the behest of the US government (and Claire is involved by way of the NGO TerraSave).

They'd pair up as follows and focus on the following themes:

- Chris and Jill, focusing on their bond as partners and best friends (and maybe something more, to appease the fans clamoring for romance).

- Barry and Moira, focusing on their relationship as father and daughter. I'd like to see how they get along after healing the rift between them in Revelations 2.

- Leon and Claire... Leon is so devoid of personality these days that I'm not sure what the arc would be, though. But it'd be cool to see them working together again!

- Jake and Sherry, because they're the children of madmen (Wesker and Birkin), and because they had such great chemistry in RE6. I want to see more!

In this fan-wank RE of mine, I'd also bring back Piers, who survived at the bottom of the sea as a Tyrant and was salvaged by The Family, who then brainwashed him into pursuing Chris and Jill, Nemesis-style, only for Chris to have another "press Square to Entreat" scene where he tells Piers to snap out of it, similar to Jill in RE5.

Yes, bringing back Piers would trivialize his sacrifice in RE6. But no, I don't care. I like Piers!

And of course, Natalia disappeared because Alex Wesker has now taken over her mind. Perhaps she reached out to The Family, and the two sides (Wesker and The Family) are playing each other. And perhaps Alex wants to body-hop from Natalia to Sherry, since Sherry effectively has everlasting youth and a superhuman healing factor — pretty desirable traits if you want to be a god!

In terms of gameplay:

Take RE6's core mechanics, and refine them. You'd have plenty of action-packed enemy encounters, but you can also have suspenseful and genuinely scary encounters using these mechanics and controls, simply by making the enemy:

- Persistent
- Aggressive
- Resilient
- Deadly

Think how The Evil Within did it. Every now and then you'd find yourself in a quiet area full of interconnecting pathways, puzzles, and smart backtracking, and you'd be at risk of running into one of several stalker monsters that you can temporarily stun at best, requiring you to make deft use of your dodging and mobility to stay alive. The point is, you can have action AND horror. One can contrast the other — fight vs. flight. There were shades of this with Rasklapanje in RE6.

Anyways, some early thoughts!

BadWolf

The item balance can be pretty unforgiving in REmake. If you're playing on the highest difficulty available at the start (which is the intended experience, being the game's default and recommended difficulty), then you can find yourself in a situation where you have to play for hours without dying just to find another ink ribbon so you can save. I was being careful with my ink ribbons, too, only saving after making notable progress (i.e. a couple puzzles and fetch quests, a half-dozen rooms cleared out, etc).

I'm not complaining, though. It's just amazing how brutal it can be at points.

Only in the beginning and while you're getting used to the game, after that the game is pretty good about giving you ammo and healing items regularly. I was hoarding out of habit but a few hours in I was pretty much swimming in consumables.

It really helps that bosses in this aren't bullet sponges.

I think I had about 24 saves when the game ended, and still had about 6 or so ribbons in the chest. I would go longer stretches of time sometimes without saving but that just added to the overall tension.

When replaying I'll probably be a lot more liberal with my ammo/healing use while saving less (since I know where the danger spots are now).

(played on the highest difficulty available in the beginning)

Neiteio

Only in the beginning and while you're getting used to the game, after that the game is pretty good about giving you ammo and healing items regularly. I was hoarding out of habit but a few hours in I was pretty much swimming in consumables.

It really helps that bosses in this aren't bullet sponges.

I think I had about 24 saves when the game ended, and still had about 6 or so ribbons in the chest. I would go longer stretches of time sometimes without saving but that just added to the overall tension.

When replaying I'll probably be a lot more liberal with my ammo/healing use while saving less (since I know where the danger spots are now).

(played on the highest difficulty available in the beginning)
You must've played smarter than me. I had a good number of items by the end, but there was a stretch in the middle where I had to do the knight puzzle, Yawn, and the courtyards leading up to the second mansion before I found another ink ribbon to save, lol. Probably the most intense one or two hours of gaming ever, lol.

Love the stance.

Helenas cop outfit is my favorite.
From an art standpoint, Helena is masterfully designed, IMO. The line work on her default costume is so good, the way it guides your eyes — i.e. the pinstripes on the pants or the way the vest and blouse overlap. The curves make her look so lithe and dynamic.

And I agree the cop outfit is great. In general, I like the "Halloween costume party" theme they have going for the alternate costumes (i.e. pirate, cop, samurai, race car driver, gangster, schoolgirl, china dress). I just wish you could use them in the campaign!

Oh, and does anyone know the simplest way to get the low-poly alternate outfits? Sounds like you have to use an re.net account?

BadWolf

You must've played smarter than me. I had a good number of items by the end, but there was a stretch in the middle where I had to do the knight puzzle, Yawn, and the courtyards leading up to the second mansion before I found another ink ribbon to save, lol. Probably the most intense one or two hours of gaming ever, lol.

Guess I lucked out, but man your's sounds like quite the experience, I'm kinda jelly lol.

Neiteio

I just want a game that finally explains who Ada is. Her schtick is getting old.
I know everyone here loves Ada, but honestly... I think she's easily the most overrated RE character. Her schtick really IS growing old.

At the same time, I doubt they could give her motivations that live up to the years of mystery that have surrounded her. Wesker's end-game turned out to be "turn everyone into monsters and rule over them as a god," which was fun in RE5 but perhaps not the most satisfying conclusion to that character in the grand scheme of things.

One wonders if Ada might fall a bit flat, too, if her motivations were revealed. As it stands, she's already a pretty one-dimensional character.

(I wanted to reach through the screen and shake her by the shoulders when she simply tells Leon, "It's complicated.")

Jawmuncher

I forgot how Outbreak is (At least to me), probably the hardest RE game. Since there's so many things the game wants you to do in terms of events, and to get a good ranking. Plus the game just isn't as fun playing with bots (Though still worth playing imo). Going to run through File 1 as Alyssa and File 2 probably as David.

Astral

The mystery surrounding her just isn't interesting anymore. Even Leon's given up on trying to figure her out and has just left it as "It's complicated" and "women." I have no doubt that whatever revelation they have regarding her, if any, will not live up to the years of mystery. She's still hot though.

Zambatoh

There's really not much to Ada at all really. She's a freelance spy that takes contracts from various corporations. It doesn't really matter who she's working for, as long as it benefits her in some way. Usually keeping the status quo and preventing any organization from having too much control. Effectively keeping biological warfare locked into an endless spiral of conflict, resolution, and more conflict and sometimes biological innovation.

In a way, moral boundaries aside, she's really not much different from Wesker, Pre-RE5.

Neiteio

The mystery surrounding her just isn't interesting anymore. Even Leon's given up on trying to figure her out and has just left it as "It's complicated" and "women." I have no doubt that whatever revelation they have regarding her, if any, will not live up to the years of mystery. She's still hot though.
I'd like Leon to drop his fixation on Ada and develop more of a connection with other characters. For example, Claire. I'd like to see a game exploring a friendship between Leon and Claire since Claire is a down-to-earth human being and could hold a meaningful conversation that could allow Leon to grow as a person, whereas with Ada it's cryptic to the point of being nonsense.

To be clear, this connection with Claire (or whoever) doesn't have to be romantic. I just want to see Leon care about someone other than Ada, so he can be a more well-rounded and interesting character. Similar to how Chris is well-rounded by way of his concern for Jill, Piers, his men in the BSAA, etc. You can tell Chris cares about people — all kinds of people — whereas Leon seems to have a case of tunnel vision. Sure, he cares about the president and the fact 70,000 innocents were killed in Tall Oaks, but it doesn't feel personal to him the same way Chris losing his men feels personal. The president was a bit of a personal loss, but it's not given the same emphasis.

Of course, I'd also accept a return to RE4 Leon, where a lack of personal investment is more than compensated by cheesy one-liners!

I mean, isn't Ada just a gun for hire who happened to get involved with huge dealings and has been meddling into it from afar ever since? That's pretty much what I took away from RE6 anyway, I didn't think there was a lot of mystery actually left.

Jawmuncher

You gotta wonder though, as a spy you're probably making a lot of money.
Why keep bothering with the work after a point, outside of pure greed?

CD'S BAR

Played some of Re6 remaster over the weekend. Just the first chapters for Leon and Jake, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is. I remember all the bad press this game got when it came out and hell, I even remember not liking the prelude demo, but it's actually a fantastic action game. The dive and roll mechanics are a lot of fun.

Neiteio

You gotta wonder though, as a spy you're probably making a lot of money.

Why keep bothering with the work after a point, outside of pure greed?
I don't get the impression Ada is driven by money. I think she believes in a larger cause and is a good person at heart. She rescues civilians on the rooftops in RE6 and seems to take genuine pity on Carla when she discovers how Simmons used her. Like others have speculated, she may be working for multiple organizations in order to keep the world in a precarious state of stability. Not ideal, mind you, but some semblance of balance is better than pure chaos.

There is the question, however, of her involvement with Wesker in RE4. I'm trying to remember if Separate Ways explained that. Was she playing Wesker there? She did deliver him plagas samples that led to the outbreak in Africa. She might've meant well and been hoping to avoid that scenario, but she played into it in the end. Perhaps she meant to manipulate Wesker but Wesker still came out ahead?

BadWolf

I'd like Leon to drop his fixation on Ada and develop more of a connection with other characters. For example, Claire. I'd like to see a game exploring a friendship between Leon and Claire since Claire is a down-to-earth human being and could hold a meaningful conversation that could allow Leon to grow as a person, whereas with Ada it's cryptic to the point of being nonsense.

Claire already has plenty of connections with other characters and Chris having a more 'personal' story is a nice contrast to Leon, who tends to be more easy going. No reason to overlap them.

Leon and Ada are fine as is tbh.

Played some of Re6 remaster over the weekend. Just the first chapters for Leon and Jake, but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it is. I remember all the bad press this game got when it came out and hell, I even remember not liking the prelude demo, but it's actually a fantastic action game. The dive and roll mechanics are a lot of fun.

A lot of people get way too caught up on hating RE6 for what it isn't (a classic RE game) instead of appreciating it for what it is (an excellent action game and TPS).

Here are some great combat mechanics guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUjmW5GgU_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkY8fcbfjqM

Neiteio

If you're enjoying the campaign in RE6, I think you'll LOVE Mercs, where the gameplay has 100x more room to breathe. The mechanics are serviceable in the campaigns but hamstrung by game design that is at times poorly communicated and poorly telegraphed. In Mercs, however, that's not an issue, and the game truly shines.

Zambatoh

There is the question, however, of her involvement with Wesker in RE4. I'm trying to remember if Separate Ways explained that. Was she playing Wesker there? She did deliver him plagas samples that led to the outbreak in Africa. She might've meant well and been hoping to avoid that scenario, but she played into it in the end. Perhaps she meant to manipulate Wesker but Wesker still came out ahead?

It's explained in her video log and in RE5. Wesker elaborated further on her betrayal and was only slightly amused by it.

Ada didn't give Wesker the sample she picked up. She was a double agent working for both him and another organization. She bait and switched him at the end, but he was still able to acquire another sample elsewhere, leading to the events of RE5.

CD'S BAR

Claire already has plenty of connections with other characters and Chris having a more 'personal' story is a nice contrast to Leon, who tends to be more easy going. No reason to overlap them.

Leon and Ada are fine as is tbh.

A lot of people get way too caught up on hating RE6 for what it isn't (a classic RE game) instead of appreciating it for what it is (an excellent action game and TPS).

Here are some great combat mechanics guides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUjmW5GgU_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkY8fcbfjqM

If you're enjoying the campaign in RE6, I think you'll LOVE Mercs, where the gameplay has 100x more room to breathe. The mechanics are serviceable in the campaigns but hamstrung by game design that is at times poorly communicated and poorly telegraphed. In Mercs, however, that's not an issue, and the game truly shines.

Cool I will definitely get around to Mercs at some point. There is a ton of content in this game based on the campaigns alone. You can definitely see the efforts of those 600 staff that reportedly worked on this thing.

Neiteio

Cool I will definitely get around to Mercs at some point. There is a ton of content in this game based on the campaigns alone. You can definitely see the efforts of those 600 staff that reportedly worked on this thing.
Yeah, RE6 is a good game at its core. Its main flaw, I feel, is a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen" when it comes to the campaign. It has a lot of fun ideas, cool narrative beats and memorable set-pieces, but a distinct lack of discipline in terms of how they play out.

Still, the core mechanics are so good that once you've mastered them, it's easy to make your own fun. The game just suffers a bit during the set-pieces where those mechanics are taken away from you (i.e. vehicle scenes, turret scenes, run toward the screen scenes).

Mercifully, the game is generous in its checkpointing, so when run into an unfair death due to a poorly telegraphed obstacle or poorly communicated goal, it's not too much work to start over.

And like I said, Mercs doesn't have any of these issues. Another nice thing about Mercs: Compared to Mercs in previous games, Mercs in RE6 starts out light so you have plenty of breathing room to seek out time bonuses and familiarize yourself with the map.

Neiteio

It's explained in her video log and in RE5. Wesker elaborated further on her betrayal and was only slightly amused by it.

Ada didn't give Wesker the sample she picked up. She was a double agent working for both him and another organization. She bait and switched him at the end, but he was still able to acquire another sample elsewhere, leading to the events of RE5.
This is good to know. Makes me feel much better about Ada. Until we hear otherwise, I'll assume this other organization is trying to keep stuff like Las Plagas out of the hands of people who'll use them for evil.

Top Bottom