• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Neiteio

She can bite my neck any day.
I also really like this shot:

30180925352_ffac9fd2b3_o.png

More here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144228726@N08/

Jawmuncher

I have to play RE2 after I get this REmake plat. Really starting to like the old style of RE games again.

I love the old style, but I just don't have the skill & patience to get the platinum on 1 and 0. I could if I really wanted to. But I've always had trouble retrying those games if I failed on a run.

Jawmuncher

Looks like GameStop will be the collectors edition. Just a physics version of the digital deluxe which is fine by me. Since it comes with the superior box art. That VR bullshit ruins the case.

I still think the regular care of RE7 will change to the Japanese box art. Which is the logo with a orangish background. Since it's what's being used for all digital images on XBl, psn, etc

img_0320dcyo9.jpg

I love the old style, but I just don't have the skill & patience to get the platinum on 1 and 0. I could if I really wanted to. But I've always had trouble retrying those games if I failed on a run.

Yeah I understand. The knife run and the Invisible mode trophies are hard. It'll be awhile before I attempt those let alone complete them.

JayEH

Knife run and invisible aren't too bad. Especially since you can do them both on very easy. No save is the hardest trophy in the game IMO.

Astral

Knife run and invisible aren't too bad. Especially since you can do them both on very easy. No save is the hardest trophy in the game IMO.

I was crazy enough to do no save and real survival on the same run. I failed it twice in the same spot (Hunter introduction) before I completed it. I don't know why I was so stubborn.

Anyone here picked up a PS VR tried the Kitchen "demo"? I put quotes around that because demo is misleading, you don't really do anything except knock over a camera and it plays out like an interactive cutscene more or less.

But goddamn, fuck that. I don't know if I'll be able to handle RE7 in VR or not now.

Looks like GameStop will be the collectors edition. Just a physics version of the digital deluxe which is fine by me. Since it comes with the superior box art. That VR bullshit ruins the case.

I still think the regular care of RE7 will change to the Japanese box art. Which is the logo with a orangish background. Since it's what's being used for all digital images on XBl, psn, etc

img_0320dcyo9.jpg

Eh, unless you actually save some money or there is some bonus, I'll just pre-order from Amazon I guess and get the discount and buy the season pass separately.

Jawmuncher

Anyone here picked up a PS VR tried the Kitchen "demo"? I put quotes around that because demo is misleading, you don't really do anything except knock over a camera and it plays out like an interactive cutscene more or less.

But goddamn, fuck that. I don't know if I'll be able to handle RE7 in VR or not now.

Eh, unless you actually save some money or there is some bonus, I'll just pre-order from Amazon I guess and get the discount and buy the season pass separately.

Yeah seems that really this gamestop edition will be nothing more than paying for a special box art. Which isn't even worth it if you're getting in on PS4. Due to all the VR tags on it. Unless a CE pops, i'll probably do the same and just buy it on amazon for the prime discount and buy the pass separate.

I actually want to grab a PSVR just to try out Kitchen. But it's a huge price for one little demo.
Gonna hold out and see if maybe they do something for RE7 like a lite bundle or something.

Yeah seems that really this gamestop edition will be nothing more than paying for a special box art. Which isn't even worth it if you're getting in on PS4. Due to all the VR tags on it. Unless a CE pops, i'll probably do the same and just buy it on amazon for the prime discount and buy the pass separate.

I actually want to grab a PSVR just to try out Kitchen. But it's a huge price for one little demo.
Gonna hold out and see if maybe they do something for RE7 like a lite bundle or something.

I can 100% tell you that Kitchen demo isn't worth a purchase of PS VR by itself lol. Like I said, you literally do nothing but sit there the entire time, and it lasts like 10-15 minutes. I wouldn't even call it a demo, I would probably call it a cutscene.

Astral

I'm on chapter 4 of Chris's campaign and for all the shit I gave it in the past, I'm having more fun with it than I did with Leon's. I guess now that I've come to terms with the fact that this is a full on third person shooter and not survival horror I've learned to appreciate it more. Chapter 1 really feels like a raid and it's awesome. Even chapter 2 was pretty good, especially the part in the mansion. The very first fight with Ogroman is actually a great boss fight but the fights with it afterwards drag on for too long. Chapter 3 is a mixed bag. The snake stuff was good but I don't know what in the fuck they were thinking with the helicopter fights and that fucking vehicle section. Like seriously what the fuck. It's embarrisingly bad. Why do these streets look like a fucking racetrack? and why does a military vehicle have NOS? Now in chapter 4 I'll have to deal with that awful Harrier section.

getting platinum for re 1 and 0 wasn't that difficult for me. also since i finished those 2 so many times from the gamecube era I kind of had the whole game memorized for speed runs. Especially REmake.

Why do these streets look like a fucking racetrack?

Haha, yeah, that part is ridiculous. Does Capcom have a racing game series that I'm not familiar with? I always figured the streets were reused assets, just like they used a bunch of animations from Monster Hunter for Simmons' T-Rex form.

Gameplaywise that part's biggest sin is that it's just so trivial and boring. Shooting the other cars doesn't even matter, because they barely do anything. And there aren't really any obstacles.

BadWolf

Some of those comments about REmake in the October PS+ thread... jeez.

Makes you see why Capcom may have been reluctant to return to the classic formula for so long.

Some of those comments about REmake in the October PS+ thread... jeez.

Makes you see why Capcom may have been reluctant to return to the classic formula for so long.

Ehh some people look for things to critique in a game rather than just trying to have fun. There's a difference between pointing out obvious flaws that makes the game less enjoyable and just wanting it to be something completely different.

Capcom would have to reach a new low of stupid to end up going "You loved REmake!? Okay, we're giving you more like REmake! But with a catch, it's not actually like REmake. :D" The entire reason REmake 2 is happening is because REmake proved the old formula can still sell well. Hell, even Zero HD sold well too, and Zero never had anything close to the same amount of love that REmake did.

I'm very confident that the original style of fixed camera, tank control will still be there in REmake 2. They might include a "modern" mode that does deviate from the original, but much like REmake HD's alternate non-tank control option, it'll be optional and also be widely seen as inferior to what the entire game (in every facet, be it level design, enemy behavior, etc) was originally designed around. I know of very, very few people who played REmake HD with the new alternate controls who say they actually enjoyed their time with it that way.

Jawmuncher

Capcom would have to reach a new low of stupid to end up going "You loved REmake!? Okay, we're giving you more like REmake! But with a catch, it's not actually like REmake. :D" The entire reason REmake 2 is happening is because REmake proved the old formula can still sell well. Hell, even Zero HD sold well too, and Zero never had anything close to the same amount of love that REmake did.

I'm very confident that the original style of fixed camera, tank control will still be there in REmake 2. They might include a "modern" mode that does deviate from the original, but much like REmake HD's alternate non-tank control option, it'll be optional and also be widely seen as inferior to what the entire game (in every facet, be it level design, enemy behavior, etc) was originally designed around. I know of very, very few people who played REmake HD with the new alternate controls who say they actually enjoyed their time with it that way.

That's what I've been saying.
There's way to many variables at play. Yeah RE1 and RE0 got RE2make greenlit. But those were HD games with a low budget to port up. A whole new game is automatically going to have a higher budget, unless they want to make said game budget fare. Of capcom is positioning this as more or less a new main entry and to essentially replace the old RE2. In my mind they would be making this a big budget $60 dollar title.

Which to them might seem like a problem if it has only RE classic style available. The stigma just from people who dislike the game from PS+ due to old style is probably why capcom has been hesistant for so long.

Which is why I've been saying that no one should expect this will be a full on classic RE title and nothing else. I fully expect a separate modern mode just so they can try and grab the most amount of buyers with one title.

Neiteio

QUESTION:

I own RER2 digitally but I'm thinking about buying the retail version too for my physical library. (Also, this way I can share it with friends and family.) Will my save data from the digital version work with the retail version?

Also thinking about buying RE4 on PS4, despite already owning it on PS3, Wii and GCN. Again, for a complete library, but also I like the fact I can take screen and video captures on PS4. Good for Merc runs!

Jawmuncher

QUESTION:

I own RER2 digitally but I'm thinking about buying the retail version too for my physical library. (Also, this way I can share it with friends and family.) Will my save data from the digital version work with the retail version?

Also thinking about buying RE4 on PS4, despite already owning it on PS3, Wii and GCN. Again, for a complete library, but also I like the fact I can take screen and video captures on PS4. Good for Merc runs!

Yeah save works across all versions

cancel Remake 2 and make Remake 3. Nobody will complain with RE6 controls in 3 ;)

Absolutely not. I'm actually hoping for something of a reactive camera for REmake2 (and 3, CV, Outbreak...etc) that makes a good middle ground between the exploration and cinematic/dramatic angles of the classic games, and the more claustrophobic/personal style of the over-the-top trilogy and 7. It'll certainly be the most difficult avenue to execute properly, but it's better than some of the alternatives I've seen (such as a costly two separate games in one to feature classic and OTT). As actiony as 2 and 3 can get, there's a major gulf between that Die Hard sort of action and the John Woo action of the later entries.

That aside, I'm sorry to say that I was not able to attend the RE tour stops this week and give my thoughts on RE7 VR and Lantern (inc. dialog analysis) due to obligations. While it's unlikely, I may attend the Raleigh stop on the 23rd or the one in SC.

They should make a Revelations 3 with RE6 mechanics and controls. And include Raid AND Mercs in the same package!

This I can dig. Heck, if the budget is an issue, make Mercs its own entry RE6 style. I'd love to see characters like Luis, Rebecca, Billy, Steve, and Barry make the roster (maybe more villains too like Marcus, Alexia, and Simmons). All with their own leaderboards.

Jawmuncher

They should make a Revelations 3 with RE6 mechanics and controls. And include Raid AND Mercs in the same package!

I still feel they would be better off doing a new subtitle.
Since the whole point of revelations besides bringing back old characters. Was to have gameplay more that appealed more to horror fans and such.

So Revelations 3 going to full action again would be funny. Though it's not like Capcom hasn't done that sort of odd shift with the mainline already.

JayEH

I'm just saying that 3 has a dodge mechanic now imagine using that dodge mechanic and then doing a suplex on Nemesis. Think about it. You know you want it.

I still feel they would be better off doing a new subtitle.
Since the whole point of revelations besides bringing back old characters. Was to have gameplay more that appealed more to horror fans and such.

So Revelations 3 going to full action again would be funny. Though it's not like Capcom hasn't done that sort of odd shift with the mainline already.

While it was marketed as their horror effort, wasn't it more to experiment (horror, asymmetrical gameplay)? Of course, until RE6 to where they switched gears and said the mainline was experimental.

No one would be pleased in either case, but I'd rather see Revelations get an OTT action title than mainline, and mainline over the REmakes.

Jawmuncher

I'm just saying that 3 has a dodge mechanic now imagine using that dodge mechanic and then doing a suplex on Nemesis. Think about it. You know you want it.

I'd be down for all of the RE games playing like 6 honestly
D2A23FB9B602D090F02F48BA5353ECDAEA7D76EE

While it was marketed as their horror effort, wasn't it more to experiment (horror, asymmetrical gameplay)? Of course, until RE6 to where they switched gears and said the mainline was experimental.

No one would be pleased in either case, but I'd rather see Revelations get an OTT action title than mainline, and mainline over the REmakes.

Who knows. At this point I think everything is going to be experimental at this point.
I personally don't care what they do so long as I get more action gameplay that is lowered like Rev 2.

Astral

HAOS is such a good boss fight. Chris's campaign really ends on a high note. I still need Jake and Ada's campaign but I already feel burnt out on the game. Jake's is filled with quite a lot of bullshit too.

HAOS is such a good boss fight. Chris's campaign really ends on a high note. I still need Jake and Ada's campaign but I already feel burnt out on the game. Jake's is filled with quite a lot of bullshit too.

While it explores similar themes from 5 (which looks to be happening again in the new animated film) and certainly attempts to push the poor shooting elements the most, Chris has the most solid campaign.

Jake's variety in scenarios is both the campaign's strength and weakness. Also, the bulkhead segment is the worst in single player.

Astral

I played over half of Jake's chapter 4 when I joined someone online but I don't have a medal for beating it. Am I gonna have to do the whole thing all over again or do I just have to play the parts I didn't play?

Jawmuncher

I played over half of Jake's chapter 4 when I joined someone online but I don't have a medal for beating it. Am I gonna have to do the whole thing all over again or do I just have to play the parts I didn't play?

If you play the last chapter starting from the last chapter you get the whole chapter beaten.

Astral

If you play the last chapter starting from the last chapter you get the whole chapter beaten.

Wait that sounds confusing lol. Are you saying I can just replay the very last part of the chapter (4-6) and I'll get the medal for beating it? Also why aren't my quotes green? So weird.

Astral

Alright that's not too bad. That chapter was a lot more enjoyable since the guy I joined had already done the helicopter fight.

Javin98

Banned
Just beat REmake for the first time on Normal (thanks, PS Plus!). Man, what an amazing experience. I'm actually considering starting a fresh playthrough on Hard. Think I'm going to wait a few weeks first, though.

I played the original on the DS back before RE6 released, but I don't remember it too well. I love that enemies are few and far between compared to the latter, more action oriented installments, RE4 (at least a dozen replays), Revelations and RE6, all of which I remember pretty well. I played RE5, but never finished it. The point is, I'm pretty hyped for RE7. Enemies being scarce make them so much more menacing and I'm glad RE7 will be heading down this route.

Also, I recall reading the Wiki that Wesker fought and trapped Lisa Trevor, leaving her to die in the explosion, but I can't seem to find a cutscene of this. Is this just an assumption or something?

Golnei

Also, I recall reading the Wiki that Wesker fought and trapped Lisa Trevor, leaving her to die in the explosion, but I can't seem to find a cutscene of this. Is this just an assumption or something?

It's part of one of the Wii rail shooters; along with the completely canonical Russian disco Tyrants.

images

Top Bottom