• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wasn't one of the movies set in Japan? It wouldn't be the first time they've influenced the games.

It's the crossover we've all been waiting for.

Resident Evil x High School of the Dead

It could be a movie reference, there was an Umbrella Lab in Japan in the first film, though I doubt it'd be a direct film reference. It might be a facility though. It's just notable since no outbreaks have taken place in Japan in the game universe yet.
RE7/Revelations 3 confirmed to be set in Japan!!1!11
I'm a bit more intrigued that they may have put in a Darkside Chronicles map. I'm fine with it and being able to explore one of the Darkside locations without it being on-rails sounds good to me. It also makes sense since the Darkside Chronicles outbreak I don't think is actually ever neutralized or destroyed, or anything. Leon and Krauser kind of just left it alone, so it would make sense as a bioterrorism hotspot to collect samples from.

If the Japan map was somehow school themed, I'd be happy.
And to give our Mercenaries school girl uniforms.

Wasn't one of the movies set in Japan? It wouldn't be the first time they've influenced the games.

Iirc the last film had a facility that had a Japan simulation. Don't recall if the Japanese office was ever shown. In-game, Chicago and Paris offices were frequently mentioned, but no outbreaks.

Marhawa and Heavenly Island are out too iirc. Hopefully it does indeed tie into RE7.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Iirc the last film had a facility that had a Japan simulation. Don't recall if the Japanese office was ever shown. In-game, Chicago and Paris offices were frequently mentioned, but no outbreaks.

Marhawa and Heavenly Island are out too iirc. Hopefully it does indeed tie into RE7.

The Marhawa Desire takes place in the fictional East Asia country of Kudahnkan, heavenly island takes place in the South American islands, Sonido de Tortuga and Zanahoria. So yeah, it's not from those.

Also, Umbrella Japan is a thing that existed.

Jawmuncher

So I'm playing Project X Zone 2 right now got to the chapter where you meet Leon. While this game obviously isn't canon I like that they try their best to tie everything in and use canon moments from the respective games as part of their story.

Anyway Leon mentions that he didn't meet Chris and Jill until sometime just before or just after Revelations 1. However was wondering if that could be canonically possible.

Since only interaction I recall of Chris and Leon was the emails in Code Veronica X. So he could have known Chris before in that manner but never saw him face to face. Don't recall of anything having Leon and Jill meet.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK CAPCOM
You mean you've never heard of the famous 「TURTLE SOUND」 and 「CARROT」 islands?

Manu

You mean you've never heard of the famous 「TURTLE SOUND」and 「CARROT」 islands?

I thought RE4 was as bad as RE was gonna get when it came to butchering the Spanish language.

I was wrong. So, so wrong.

MattyG

Banned
Soooo, say I've never finished a Resident Evil game before. I own a majority of them and can get my hands on the rest in their remastered forms (except 2 and 3, I'd have to play the PSX versions of those). What order should I play them in? 1-6 and then the spinoffs?

Javier23

Banned
Soooo, say I've never finished a Resident Evil game before. I own a majority of them and can get my hands on the rest in their remastered forms (except 2 and 3, I'd have to play the PSX versions of those). What order should I play them in? 1-6 and then the spinoffs?
REmake, RE2, RE3, RECV, RE0, RE4, RE5, Revelations, RE 6, Revelations 2

That's the order I played them in for the first time recently.

Jawmuncher

It's best to just play them in release order. Though you can move some thing's around. Since the series mainline is more or less in order outside 0-Remake and the Revelation games.

RE0
REmake
RE1 (if you want)
RE2
RE3
RECVX
RE:Revelations
Re5
RE: Revelations 2
RE6

As for spin-offs I would just play those where you see fit. If anything I would do them by console generation. So when you're wrapping up RE2 & 3, that would be the time to try Gun Survivor. After CVX try out Dead Aim and the Outbreak games. Though really at this point it's best to just play the mainline and if you absolutely need more RE then play the rest.

I consider Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles despite being canon in certain chapters part of the spin off stuff to just wait on. No reason to get in so deep over the lore if you don't come out liking the main line.

Mr_Zombie

The release order is the best one (REmake as a first game, instead of RE1, is the only exception here, for story purposes). The series evolved with each game adding some new gameplay elements and new expanding the overall storyline. Moreover, with each entry (bar REmake and Zero) the series went more and more into action game territory, eventually giving birth to RE6.

As for the spin-off's - stay away from Survivor and Survivor 2. The first one is bearable, but the low budget really hurt. The second is bad, just bad. Dead Aim you can try, if you want. It's harmless, mediocre game.

Both on-rails games - Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles - summarizes previous games (UC: RE0, RE1 and - let's say - RE3; DSC: RE2 and CVX) and add some new stories / fill the gaps of what happened in the background. You can play those after playing the main series. Darkside Chronicles has evidently bigger budget and better production values, but Umbrella Chronicles is a better game (more arcade-y and focused on gameplay instead of showing off a story like DSC).

Javier23

Banned
It's best to just play them in release order. Though you can move some thing's around. Since the series mainline is more or less in order outside 0-Remake and the Revelation games.

RE0
REmake
RE1 (if you want)
RE2
RE3
RECVX
RE:Revelations
Re5
RE6
If you've seriously never played any RE game before like it was my case just last year playing them in that order would spoil
Wesker being a baddie, which you don't get to figure out until near the end of REmake.

Manu

Some stuff like 0 or the Revelations games work better if you play them in release order, because of the way they use plot points from the games chronologically after them.

Having said this:

REmake
RE0 (optional)
RE1 (optional)
RE2
RE3
RE:CVX
RE4
RE: Degeneration movie (optional)
RE5 (make sure to play the DLC, or at least Lost in Nightmares)
RE: Revelations
RE: Damnation movie (optional)
RE6

There's two games and two movies you can skip unless you really want to get the full RE experience.

Some stuff like 0 or the Revelations games work better if you play them in release order, because of the way they use plot points from the games chronologically after them.

Having said this:

REmake
RE0 (optional)
RE1 (optional)
RE2
RE3
RE:CVX
RE4
RE: Degeneration movie (optional)
RE5 (make sure to play the DLC, or at least Lost in Nightmares)
RE: Revelations
RE: Damnation movie (optional)
RE6

There's two games and two movies you can skip unless you really want to get the full RE experience.

I'd probably put REv2 before RE6, after having just completed it last night. Aside from the end of the game and an unlockable file, RE6 didn't have a presence from what I could tell.

RE5 port needs to hurry up and arrive now. I loved the
Neil
fight in REv2, and I remember enjoying the Uroboros fights for the most part in RE5.

"It looks like he was killed by a crow or something."

lthHNSW.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/crow-steals-knife-crime-scene-canada-article-1.2650760

So, after recently going through 6 once again and finally having the pleasure of experiencing Revelations 2, there's some lingering questions.

RE6:

What is the basis of the C Virus to allow it to do so many different things? I mean:

• C-Virus aerosol dispersal creates zombies and their mutations
  • C-Virus injections creates J'avo
  • C-Virus Improved strain injections supposedly create advanced mutations like the Napads...but so does apparently mutation through trauma on J'avo? Advanced mutations seem like a roulette wheel of chance, with their forms based on....what? What makes a Napad hatch rather than Strelats or Gnezdo (latter could be female host, but never see this in-game iirc).
  • Can be used to create/incubate a 'clone' from the DNA of an individual(?) introduced while a host is in the chrysilid state(?)
  • Further "improved" strain causes severe mutations (
    Simmons, Carla
    ) that vary greatly.

Opposed to T, G, T-V, Plagas, and Uroboros, C-Virus feels like the equivalent of a broad superhero. It/They can do whatever the writer wants to happen, rather than having the single direction and clear/reasoned stages of the others.

REv2 (+6):

How are these mind/personality transfers (RE6:
Ada to Carla
; REv2:
Alex to Natalia
) being done? Yes, the Chrysalid/C-Virus is a factor in 6 and there's an incubation machine (+ something to do with T-Phobos) in REv2, but how it's being achieved doesn't really get touched on in any in-game or post-game documents or dialogue.

I did find it amusing/ironic that
Alex
in REv2 is doing something very similar, in a much smaller time frame, to what Alexia was attempting to achieve in RECV. Do we know much more on what
Alex
was exposed to with Umbrella, or is the island in REv2 the extent known?

JayEH

My first post here, I'm a relatively new fan since I've only played most of the series for the first time this year. Just have 0 and CV left then I've beaten all the main canon titles I think. Will do 0 next but I tried it earlier this year and I'm really not looking forward to dealing with dumber AI than RE5 lol.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
So, after recently going through 6 once again and finally having the pleasure of experiencing Revelations 2, there's some lingering questions.

RE6:

What is the basis of the C Virus to allow it to do so many different things? I mean:

• C-Virus Improved strain injections supposedly create advanced mutations like the Napads...but so does apparently mutation through trauma on J'avo? Advanced mutations seem like a roulette wheel of chance, with their forms based on....what? What makes a Napad hatch rather than Strelats or Gnezdo (latter could be female host, but never see this in-game iirc).
  • Can be used to create/incubate a 'clone' from the DNA of an individual(?) introduced while a host is in the chrysilid state(?)
    Simmons, Carla
    ) that vary greatly.

Opposed to T, G, T-V, Plagas, and Uroboros, C-Virus feels like the equivalent of a broad superhero. It/They can do whatever the writer wants to happen, rather than having the single direction and clear/reasoned stages of the others.

REv2 (+6):

Ada to Carla
; REv2:
Alex to Natalia
) being done. Yes, the Chrysalid/C-Virus is a factor in 6 and there's an incubation machine (+ something to do with T-Phobos) in REv2, but how it's being achieved doesn't really get touched on in any in-game or post-game documents or dialogue.

Alex
in REv2 is doing something very similar, in a much smaller time frame, to what Alexia was attempting to achieve in RECV. Do we know much more on what
Alex

Hopefully, your questions will prompt an informative NewsBot post, but here are my musings:

The C-Virus, in both its flexibility and efficacy, definitely seems like a massive leap forward. Then again, it has been decades since the mansion incident so this makes sense. Like you, I'm curious about the mechanics of Chrysalid transformation, and what determines (beyond plot) whether a Napad or Strelats emerges.

I have assumed that initially the Weskers were all exposed to the same viral regimen. Something that killed almost all of the subjects? So Albert and Alex both could withstand these experiments, and this made them special.

I didn't realize that Heavenly Island had been translated, but it looks like at least some of it has been (I found it while typing this post). It's set after RE6, but it is a tie-in to REV2.... I'm going to go read it and then come back--I've heard it's good background on REV2 (and possibly RE6 as well).

EDIT
My first post here, I'm a relatively new fan since I've only played most of the series for the first time this year. Just have 0 and CV left then I've beaten all the main canon titles I think. Will do 0 next but I tried it earlier this year and I'm really not looking forward to dealing with dumber AI than RE5 lol.

Hey, welcome! I think 0 is flawed, but underrated. It's not the AI that burns most people out, it's the inventory management. I don't think it's too bad once you start thinking about things the right way. Let us know how it turns out for you!

Welcome!! I can't say anything about 0 since it's the only mainline title that I haven't finished (played a bit on Wii). I just got RE Origins a few days ago so I'll play it soon, hopefully it will be good.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Hi, I'm not News Bot, but I'm here to attempt to answer your questions!

RE6:

Simmons, Carla
    ) that vary greatly.

Yes, the C-Virus has very broad effects compared to the t-, G-, t+G and t-Veronica viruses to allow the writers bigger freedom
for arsepulls
. The in-universe justification is that the C-Virus is based on the t-Veronica and the mutated G-Virus found in Sherry, as well as the study of the Plagas parasites. The C-Virus rewrites the genetic information of the victim with the genetic information set in the virus. This is based on the G-Virus' rapid and adaptive mutations. The insect-like mutations and chrysalid structures (which gives it it's name), as well as the retained intelligence and obedience, are based on the t-Veronica.

Direct injection with the virus results in a J'avo, which can later mutate further, eventually enter the Chrysalid state. However, more concentrated doses result in a direct move into Chrysalid state. Once in Chrysalid state, the mutations from it are seemingly random, though the result might be from the particular DNA set into the virus. This is why Carla exists, as she was given the genetic information of Ada Wong.

The C-virus does not create zombies directly, these are created by the Lepotitsa, which are based on the unique C-Virus mutation of Nanan Yoshihara (from The Marhawa Desire).

As for the super mutations, those are just enormous pulls for cool boss fights. The wild mutations that Carla, Simmons and Piers undergo are from a super special strain of the C-Virus, of which there are 3 injections. The mutations just very wildly because they vary by the individual and may or may not be a result of their mental state.
REv2 (+6):

Ada to Carla
; REv2:
Alex to Natalia
) being done? Yes, the Chrysalid/C-Virus is a factor in 6 and there's an incubation machine (+ something to do with T-Phobos) in REv2, but how it's being achieved doesn't really get touched on in any in-game or post-game documents or dialogue.

Alex
Alex

The "personality transfers" are completely different, one involved the use of the C-Virus' transformation and mind altering capabilities while the other involved an actual machine that imprinted memories on another body. The t-Phobos was not, in fact, directly involved in the process of the transfer, and was merely a means to weed out the weak-willed and (theoretically) achieve adaptive mutations similar to Albert's for Alex's new body, as seen in the bad ending. Supposedly (running theory by News Bot, at least, and who am I to say otherwise) those who adapt to the t-Phobos (goes red but don't mutate) are special or something? I dunno.

I have assumed that initially the Weskers were all exposed to the same viral regimen. Something that killed almost all of the subjects? So Albert and Alex both could withstand these experiments, and this made them special.

I didn't realize that Heavenly Island had been translated, but it looks like at least some of it has been (I found it while typing this post). It's set after RE6, but it is a tie-in to REV2.... I'm going to go read it and then come back--I've heard it's good background on REV2 (and possibly RE6 as well).

The origins of the Wesker Project is familiar to me, but it would have been nice to see what Alex' relation is to Umbrella's history after seeing how involved Albert was. Especially the echoes to what Alexia Ashford set out to do.

Both Heavenly Island and Marhawa Desire are needing a read, so I'll be sure to check what translations are there.
Hi, I'm not News Bot, but I'm here to attempt to answer your questions!

Yes, the C-Virus has very broad effects compared to the t-, G-, t+G and t-Veronica viruses to allow the writers bigger freedom
for arsepulls
. The in-universe justification is that the C-Virus is based on the t-Veronica and the mutated G-Virus found in Sherry, as well as the study of the Plagas parasites. The C-Virus rewrites the genetic information of the victim with the genetic information set in the virus. This is based on the G-Virus' rapid and adaptive mutations. The insect-like mutations and chrysalid structures (which gives it it's name), as well as the retained intelligence and obedience, are based on the t-Veronica.

Direct injection with the virus results in a J'avo, which can later mutate further, eventually enter the Chrysalid state. However, more concentrated doses result in a direct move into Chrysalid state. Once in Chrysalid state, the mutations from it are seemingly random, though the result might be from the particular DNA set into the virus. This is why Carla exists, as she was given the genetic information of Ada Wong.

The C-virus does not create zombies directly, these are created by the Lepotitsa, which are based on the unique C-Virus mutation of Nanan Yoshihara (from The Marhawa Desire).

As for the super mutations, those are just enormous pulls for cool boss fights. The wild mutations that Carla, Simmons and Piers undergo are from a super special strain of the C-Virus, of which there are 3 injections. The mutations just very wildly because they vary by the individual and may or may not be a result of their mental state.

The "personality transfers" are completely different, one involved the use of the C-Virus' transformation and mind altering capabilities while the other involved an actual machine that imprinted memories on another body. The t-Phobos was not, in fact, directly involved in the process of the transfer, and was merely a means to weed out the weak-willed and (theoretically) achieve adaptive mutations similar to Albert's for Alex's new body, as seen in the bad ending. Supposedly (running theory by News Bot, at least, and who am I to say otherwise) those who adapt to the t-Phobos (goes red but don't mutate) are special or something? I dunno.

Those who conquer their fear likely have a similar, though maybe not quite as dramatic, relationship to the virus like we see with Sherry and the G-Virus (another echo to past events). At least, that's how I understood it. Another way of looking at it was what Alexia Ashford and Albert Wesker were attempting to achievever personally with the T-Veronica and Uroboros virus respectively.

Glad to see that I wasn't missing much in understanding how the C-Virus was utilized. Still a bit of a disappointment narrative-wise, even if the effects are mostly fantanstic.

Interesting. I wonder who the director of Remake 2 will be. I thought it was going to end with them announcing Anpo would do it but seems like he has another role on the project.

I wonder if it will be Ueda, who worked on REmake and 5. Both have been heavily prevalent in all the videos so far.

Quick thoughts on that interview:

• Hopefully the cutscenes are closer to RE5 than REv2. The latter seemed too busy at times and had some odd framing at times.
  • REmake pacing and RE5 co-op are given a lot of attention. Also poor Outbreak almost being left out in the online pioneer position.
  • I wonder what the modernized mention at the end will end up being. Over the shoulder? Point system? Co-op? Kit-Kat instead of Tofu?

Sectus

Hirabayashi and Anpo discuss Resident Evil 2 remake, among other things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oylf1T7mQ_M

So, both of them will be involved in the project, but they won't have directorial duties on it. Apparently the director of the remake will be announced in the next interview.

EDIT: Beaten like Kenneth.

"Skipping over even a single door animation would make the pacing too fast for the player."

Is there a nice polite way of stating that I want to repeatedly slap this person with an extremely large pineapple?

Zero-ELEC

Banned
"Skipping over even a single door animation would make the pacing too fast for the player."

Is there a nice polite way of stating that I want to repeatedly slap this person with an extremely large pineapple?

Didn't you already mod away the door animations? What more do you want!?

Mr_Zombie

Yeah, that's... just stupid. I played RE1, 2 and 3 on PC, where you could skip door animations right away, and didn't feel the pacing was "too fast".

I never skip door animations and I'd like to slap any opposition figures with a LARGER pineapple! That creaky sound is where it's at, it also provides an essential buffer between rooms.

I'm also a really big fan of the Silent Hill series' use of footsteps.

kamineko

Well, I just ordered the first three volumes of The Marhawa Desire. Should be fun.

EDIT: I like the door animations myself, but I'm curious: has anyone calculated (roughly) how much time door animations add to a run?

Sectus

Didn't you already mod away the door animations? What more do you want!?

It's the first time I've seen the developers explain why they decided to keep the door animations. And it's triggering the part of me who wants to throw pineapple at people. It's also a little bit worrying for RE2 remake. But I'll be baffled if they decide to give that game equally long unskippable door animations.

Well, I just ordered the first three volumes of The Marhawa Desire. Should be fun.

EDIT: I like the door animations myself, but I'm curious: has anyone calculated (roughly) how much time door animations add to a run?

Door animations are exactly 7 seconds long in REmake and RE0. Not completely sure how much time would be spent looking at door animations during a normal playthrough, but I figure it would be at least 1-2 hours. I know for a good REmake speedrun lasting around 90 minutes, 30 minutes of that is spent looking at doors.

kamineko

Door animations are exactly 7 seconds long in REmake and RE0. Not completely sure how much time would be spent looking at door animations during a normal playthrough, but I figure it would be at least 1-2 hours. I know for a good REmake speedrun lasting around 90 minutes, 30 minutes of that is spent looking at doors.

So... a third of a speedrun? I figured it would be substantial, since the clock never stops, but... goodness.

The origins of the Wesker Project is familiar to me, but it would have been nice to see what Alex' relation is to Umbrella's history after seeing how involved Albert was. Especially the echoes to what Alexia Ashford set out to do.

You've probably already read Project Umbrella's profile of Alex Wesker, but it suggests that she was a highly competent and trusted researcher and agent. Unlike Albert, she had no superhuman abilities. In fact, I believe she was dying due to exposure to experimental viral agents.

As a side thought/question, I'm not sure how much Alex would know about A. Ashford's research, since it appeared to be secret and Albert was working for one of Umbrella's competitors when the events of Code: Veronica took place. I presume that eventually getting a sample of the virus would be possible (it gets out), but Alexia's actual research data and notes remained inaccessible.

It may just be that immortality keeps coming up because it's an age-old human concern, and the regenerative properties of these assorted viruses afford an irresistible temptation to people like Spencer, Alex, and Alexia

Zero-ELEC

Banned
It's the first time I've seen the developers explain why they decided to keep the door animations. And it's triggering the part of me who wants to throw pineapple at people. It's also a little bit worrying for RE2 remake. But I'll be baffled if they decide to give that game equally long unskippable door animations.

God, I really hope that RE2make's door animations (if it has them) are short and/or skippable. REmaster and RE0 HD reminded me how annoying they get in repeat playthroughs.

Top Bottom