• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Speaking of Ashley, do you guys think she'll ever come back to the series? She was a main character in what is probably the most popular game in the series. I'd say there's a good chance. Maybe she'll get an upgrade and be more than just a sidekick you have to babysit this time.

strafer

Speaking of Ashley, do you guys think she'll ever come back to the series? She was a main character in what is probably the most popular game in the series. I'd say there's a good chance. Maybe she'll get an upgrade and be more than just a sidekick you have to babysit this time.

Only if she screams Leon a few hundred times.

Gradon

It was the voice. And the hair.

Oh hey, I think I know who the lead protagonists will be in RE7...

It was the same when some people tried to link Sherry to the blonde woman in 5. Good times. I remember contacting Ashley's VA at the time of RE6ms first trailer and she confirmed it wasn't her, so I was adamant that it was Sherry but some others were convinced they just changed Ashley's actress. (Which isn't much a stretch of reality when you think about the constant VA's Capcom change for this series.)

Ok. Bought Resident Evil Remastered on the psn Capcom sale. I didn't realize how frustrating the back and forth of the puzzles were. I mean it's been 20 years but damn. And six weapon/item slots. Boy, do I have to do a hard reset. Now, to find a way to drop one of my items so I can pick up this magazine clip.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
The localizations in the series are all handled by different people who are about as terrible as each other at the job, so there are rampant inconsistencies and when they actually put the effort in to maintain consistency, they end up referring back to translations that were wrong to begin with. BIO6 has a few things from BIO3's localization, such as "Baccilus Terminate", that had never appeared again in the time between the two games.

Generally speaking, very few characterizations in the series are consistent due primarily to the flakey localization. Leon's attitude in BIO4 is a lot different from the happy-go-lucky version of him in that game's localization. He is sardonic, but the translator exaggerated his humour and deliberately inserted more of it where it wasn't needed, missing the point.

Here are accurate translations of the epilogues:

Thanks so much for posting these. I've read the retranslated game files, but I've never seen alternate translations for the endings. The relationship between Leon, Sherry, and the US government has always created some dissonance for me.

Ok. Bought Resident Evil Remastered on the psn Capcom sale. I didn't realize how frustrating the back and forth of the puzzles were. I mean it's been 20 years but damn. And six weapon/item slots. Boy, do I have to do a hard reset. Now, to find a way to drop one of my items so I can pick up this magazine clip.

Some tips:

• Use different save slots. On normal difficulty, there are ribbons everywhere, so save often & maintain separate slots.
  • Don't pick up stuff you have no use for, unless you won't have trouble getting it to an item box (the insignia above the fireplace at the start of the game is a good example)
  • Use Jill for your first playthrough and head straight for
    the shotgun once you find the sword key
  • The game is largely a route optimization puzzle, so yes you will spend a lot of time wandering around and figuring out what to do. If you have to restart after a couple of hours, it will probably take you only a few minutes to get to the same place, because now you know where you're going. Don't look at a restart as a failure--it's an opportunity to do better based on what you've learned.
  • Don't kill zombies you don't need to kill

News Bot

Banned
Thanks so much for posting these. I've read the retranslated game files, but I've never seen alternate translations for the endings. The relationship between Leon, Sherry, and the US government has always created some dissonance for me.

The English version of Claire's epilogue in particular had annoyed me for a decade. Leon is suddenly a dick to her, with the translator adding emotion that didn't need to be there. If he was trying to add a sense of urgency, he failed. But I'd expect nothing less from the person who conceived "federal council" in place of Congress and "Mr. Death." I remember people speculating that Leon was holding a gun to Sherry's head when versions with the text removed were made, haha.

zG8rZf0.jpg

RedSnake

So my RE itch got to me and I had to do something about it.

I decided to start the Marhawa Desire manga since I have 4 of the 5 books.
I've been buying them for the past... 2 years? and never started reading them since I hate waiting for them to come out.

I enjoyed it WAY more than I expected and some parts are awesome.
My plan was to read them in a weak or so but I blasted through it in a single night...

Sadly, the last book comes out in a month and that pisses me off!

Is Heaenly Island as good as this one?
I can only hope it comes out in my country later this year...

News Bot

Banned

I've been buying them for the past... 2 years? and never started reading them since I hate waiting for them to come out.

My plan was to read them in a weak or so but I blasted through it in a single night...

Heavenly Island is arguably better if you can look past the gravure model aspect of it, but I think the manga makes a good case of unsettling expectations on that since
they die horribly
and the manga actually criticizes model culture. It's a lot more entrenched in the series mythology. There are a good number of reappearing characters also, in some form or another. The story is great in my opinion, and serves as a junction for BIO5, REV1, REV2 and Umbrella Corps. I was very pleased that they did not focus on BIO6 at all and I hope that's an indication of what to expect from hereon.

Basically, I think the story is going back to its roots in a way if Heavenly Island and The Stage are anything to go by. I think the principle cause of this is dropping Shotaro Suga as writer. Degeneration, Damnation, Darkside Chronicles and BIO6 are the weakest of the latest entries in terms of story.

kamineko

The English version of Claire's epilogue in particular had annoyed me for a decade. Leon is suddenly a dick to her, with the translator adding emotion that didn't need to be there. If he was trying to add a sense of urgency, he failed. But I'd expect nothing less from the person who conceived "federal council" in place of Congress and "Mr. Death." I remember people speculating that Leon was holding a gun to Sherry's head when versions with the text removed were made, haha.

Yes, I remember feeling quite confused over Leon's unprecedented hostility. The localization team really made a mess of those endings. I guess that's par for the course, though.

I have books four and five of MD arriving in the mail today, actually. I've really enjoyed what I've read so far. The lepotica is handled in a richer, far more interesting way than are the creatures from RE6, and I've enjoyed thinking about it. It's also great seeing Piers in a different context.

Side note: I believe "lepotica" is a Serbian word for "beautiful woman." This is in the RE6 files, but the significance eluded me until I did some more thinking/researching while reading MD.

Heavenly Island is also a fun read. It's closer to what I consider a "classic" Resident Evil story, since most of the characters don't understand the threat or possess amazing survival skills--they are just caught up in a shit situation, trying to stay alive.

Picked this up the other day for like $9 off amazon :D (on another note, I keep forgetting this thread exists and I should really come in here more often lol)

Nice find! I think another poster on resiGAF replayed RE2 recently. I'm due for a replay myself--it's been about a year.

EDIT:

On another note, Capcom isn't having an E3 conference, right? So where are we expecting (desperately hoping) to hear Resi news? The Sony conference?

kamineko

So this double post doesn't go to waste, here's a GIF of Ada being captured by Chris.

I never encountered this failure state myself, was surprised to see it.

va4NgP.gif

Vanilla RE2? Damn. Haven't seen on of those in a long time.

I was super shocked when I stumbled across it on amazon haha I didn't see it when i looked at used copies a few days prior so the guy i bought it from must have just put it up recently before I grabbed it lol

Nice find! I think another poster on resiGAF replayed RE2 recently. I'm due for a replay myself--it's been about a year.

EDIT:

On another note, Capcom isn't having an E3 conference, right? So where are we expecting (desperately hoping) to hear Resi news? The Sony conference?

Picking it up physically is a perfect excuse for me to play it again lol

I really hope we hear something about Remake 2 or RE7 at e3

News Bot

Banned
Side note: I believe "lepotica" is a Serbian word for "beautiful woman." This is in the RE6 files, but the significance eluded me until I did some more thinking/researching while reading MD.

The BIO6 file on the Lepotica actually directly references Marhawa Desire, but you can only find the "complete" files on RE.net. This was an atrocious decision by CAPCOM especially considering there is nothing that explains there is more to the files, either in the game or on the service.

One year ago, in Marhawa School, we experimented on practical use with C-16 (Nanan Yoshihara).
We created the Lepotica after repeatedly improving the sample, making it a powerful weapon unmatched in waging random attacks.

Zambatoh

I was super shocked when I stumbled across it on amazon haha I didn't see it when i looked at used copies a few days prior so the guy i bought it from must have just put it up recently before I grabbed it lol

I was actually hinting that the Dual Shock edition has been the go to version for most people. So it's kinda strange to see a vanilla copy floating around. I don't usually see those in circulation.

I was actually hinting that the Dual Shock edition has been the go to version for most people. So it's kinda strange to see a vanilla copy floating around. I don't usually see those in circulation.

It says Dualshock when i boot it up lol, i think the greatest hits version is the dualshock

Ah. It's more likely someone just mixed up the discs on accident. In that case, you lucked out.

I looked into it and I guess the greatest hits version came out after the dual shock version came out so the greatest hits is dual shock by default, it says analogue comparable on the back of the case too

Zambatoh

I looked into it and I guess the greatest hits version came out after the dual shock version came out so the greatest hits is dual shock by default, it says analogue comparable on the back of the case too

Interesting. Never knew that. I guess that makes 3 revisions on the same console then. This would explain why certain gameshark codes didn't always work with greatest hits releases.

It's AWFUL!

I work today 4-9pm. Tomorrow 7am-4pm and I'll be dead tired for the conferences from 6pm til 3am :(

FML!

I don't wanna miss any RE announcements.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope this E3 is when they reveal it too.

I am legitimately curious what it'll look like and what direction they'll choose. I have guesses off what they've said, and the reception up until now, but we won't know if we know. I wouldn't mind if it either went action or horror direction, but obviously would prefer a horror direction (or someone in the middle).

Hoping it's at E3 most certainly, it is highly likely with all the info we have, but we won't know until we do (and maybe they'll wait super late to TGS, who knows?).

kamineko

If it's at e3 (I expect it to be), I wish we'd get one of those stupid preview-of-the-preview reveal-of-the-reveal teasers that everybody else is doing, just so I knew what conference to watch

Dusk Golem

Somebody pointed this out in the RE7 Expectations topic, but Capcom's E3 booth definitely is giving some Resident Evil vibes: A cut-off dark room (to cancel noise and probably thematic inside) which looks like a decaying house.

CktWP6vUkAE36DF.jpg

Tomorrow's the day finally... HYPE!

Somebody pointed this out in the RE7 Expectations topic, but Capcom's E3 booth definitely is giving some Resident Evil vibes: A cut-off dark room (to cancel noise and probably thematic inside) which looks like a decaying house.

CktWP6vUkAE36DF.jpg

Nice! I'm wondering n which conference it might be announced, I would expect Sony's one given the story between the series and the PS consoles.

kamineko

They aren't going to take Mercs away. It's been a staple for too long, and everybody loves it.

I feel like that's the only sure thing RN

Dusk Golem

To be honest, if RE7 is horror themed, I'm wondering how they'll tackle it.

There is no way in hell it's one of those defenseless/hiding horror games, the RE series has always had gunplay, and there is absolutely no reason anyone should expect it to be going away (nor would I or many people want it to).

I also personally think there's no way it's a fixed camera angle 'classic-styled' survival-horror game, like some purists seem to want it to be. REmake 2 might be these (and I do hope it is, personally), but RE7? No way.

That said, I'm not convinced it's going to be an over-the-top action title either. I don't think Capcom is bluffing in all they've said over the last three years that for RE7 they have seriously been considering trying the horror route again, and the recent rumors, and even their E3 area, does heavily suggest they want to make a game that one is best to play in the dark with headphones.

I actually think without knowing what the next game is yet, it's one of the hardest times for me to be a fan of both the older and newer RE games. Half of me wants this to be a horror game, to be a more serious attempt at making something horror for the series in the first time in a numbered entry for years. The other half of me doesn't want RE's fun gunplay, co-op, and things like Mercenaries to go anywhere.

I think it is possible to make a RE game that is both things, just not an easy task. Then again, I think it's possible to make a good horror co-op game, just no one has outright done it yet. Ironically, the closest attempt to something like this was the RE series, with the Outbreak games. I'm actually wondering if Capcom have been looking to Outbreak for some inspiration for RE7, I've noticed they've been mentioning Outbreak a lot more recently. That could be about the HD Remaster rumor, but maybe also they looked to Outbreak as their example of a horror/co-op game, and how they may modernize it in certain areas, is a thought.

We'll probably see RE7 tomorrow, and I look forward to it. A big part of me thinks that RE7 may be trying to reinvent the wheel again, like what they did for RE4, and maybe attempted again with RE6, but in a more distinct direction. I expect that shooting and gunplay may still be big parts, but maybe it's going to try and be a lot more atmospheric and deal with less 'mob' enemy types we've seen in RE games recently, and more big and powerful entities that are a serious danger, is a thought of mine. Maybe it'll be Zombie haven though, or maybe they'll decide to go in some other unexpected direction.

I think this RE game announcement is one of the most interesting in years partially because right now, it could really go anyway. After RE4's success, it was obvious they were going to make another entry like that, and after RE5's success, it was obvious the next game was going to be an action co-op game. I think RE7 is the first time in a decade it's not been immediately clear what direction Capcom is going with the franchise. They've been surprisingly tight-lipped about it.

Jawmuncher

I for one want the series to kee being action. If all I'm getting is Umbrell corps as a action title I got say that's pretty lame. Considering every non mainline title has been trying to be more scary.

At the end of the day I just want a good game, but I really don't want to play something like REmake but with a different camera. I've said before for me personally I didn't like the style of Revelations 2. It'll be interesting to see if Capcom reverses things and has action fans out in the dust after doing that to survival horror fans and trying to get them back with other titles.

So, one of the users in the Sony's E3 conference thread posted this:

Originally Posted by Enter the Dragon Punch

do you guys REally think i would just come in here and tease things all nimbly bibly? what am i, 7? Very Rude, guys

So, if he's indeed an insider or has contacts, RE7 will have VR support.

kamineko

So, one of the users in the Sony's E3 conference thread posted this:

Originally Posted by Enter the Dragon Punch

do you guys REally think i would just come in here and tease things all nimbly bibly? what am i, 7? Very Rude, guys

So, if he's indeed an insider or has contacts, RE7 will have VR support.

He has delivered some Bish-verified(TM) insider info, but I believe those were XBox/Windows 10 leaks (Sunset Overdrive to PC for instance)....

I don't even know what to say about VR RE.... presumably there will be a non-VR version, unless Capcom is teaming up with Sony for PSVR launch.... It's hard to see Capcom taking an all-or-nothing gamble with such a beloved franchise.

Still, a launch RE title would move me from "curious" to "committed," I can't deny it.

I don't see RE7 being VR-only. Maybe a optional VR mode though.

VR games on PS4 have to be toned down graphically big-time to even run on the thing, and I don't see Capcom doing that for a numbered entry in their premier moneymaker franchise. They've always tried to impress when it comes to the visuals in the mainline games.

I would love a VR Resident Evil game, but I think I'd prefer a spinoff for it instead of shoving VR as a feature into a game that might only be halfway designed around it.

kamineko

I don't see RE7 being VR-only. Maybe a optional VR mode though.

VR games on PS4 have to be toned down graphically big-time to even run on the thing, and I don't see Capcom doing that for a numbered entry in their premier moneymaker franchise. They've always tried to impress when it comes to the visuals in the mainline games.

I would love a VR Resident Evil game, but I think I'd prefer a spinoff for it instead of shoving VR as a feature into a game that might only be halfway designed around it.

Same, honestly, and the one fact we have to work with (the tantalizing, unnamed four million-seller mentioned in Capcom's shareholder material) definitely doesn't point to a VR-Exclusive title.... no way something like that is going to do those numbers this fiscal year, if ever.

Neiteio

CktWP6vUkAE36DF.jpg
Unless Dead Rising 4 has a spooky dilapidated house theme (unlikely!), that's gotta be RE7!

kamineko

added to the OP:
It's dangerous to go alone! Tell your friends! Feel free to copy/paste this GIF and link code into RE-related threads. The more, the merrier.

Unless Dead Rising 4 has a spooky dilapidated house theme (unlikely!), that's gotta be RE7!

I could summarize my RE hopes as follows: upgrading guns in a rickety-assed house

Top Bottom