• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Neiteio

In Raid mode's mission select page the Throwback maps will show up as Gauntlet IX, which should be at the very bottom of the page once you've installed them (the Throwback Map Pack) along with the Compatibility Pack.
Just a blank space. Yet PSN says I installed it. :(

edit: oh, I do have Gauntlet IX, but it's locked]

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wonder if the episode 2 and 3 Raid stages will be jam packed full of RE6 areas? I don't mind, but one has to question if most all of RE6 is going to end up in these Raid Mode stages. XD;

I also am wondering more and more what the big unlockable at the end of Raid Mode is. To quote Capcom-Unity...

When you pick up Episode 1 on February 24 (PS3/PS4) or February 25 (360/XONE/PC), it will include Claire and Barry's story mode content AND 54 Raid Mode missions spread across three difficulty settings. When subsequent episodes release they will also contain numerous additional Raid Mode maps - Episodes 2 and 3 will each add 36 missions to the mode, while Episode 4 tops things off with another 68 missions. All told there will be over 200 increasingly difficult missions.

To list it out, Raid is split into numerous Gauntlets, each of which contains six Raid missions that come in Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties. If you can clear them all, you'll access an ever greater challenge...

EP1: 3 Gauntlets x 6 Missions x 3 Difficulties

EP2 & 3: 2 Gauntlets x 6 Missions x 3 Difficulties

EP4: 2 Gauntlets, one of which you'll have to finish and see what happens...

Firstly, the Mission number doesn't add up, there's two gauntlets linked to episode 4, one is a regular gauntlet, one is a gauntlet that can only be played on Very Hard difficulty, but that would equate to 24 missions (assuming the last gauntlet is only playable on Very Hard difficulty is composed of the normal 6-level split). Where would the other 44 missions comes from?

I'm also suspicious because at the end of the Revelations 2 OST, there's some really weird music. This is the preview of literally the last song on the soundtrack, which is where the Raid Mode music is (some previews also of music we haven't heard of), but the last song is so.. Strange, for this game: http://www.sumthing.com/uploaded_files/files/previews/ResidentEvilRevelations2/95_Cheap_Sweets.mp3

If there's a Ghost Ship-like thing in this game, that's cool, but I don't think that sort of thing would give you 40 medals... Notably, 44 is also not a number that can be split into three. I've been getting very curious about this...

Manu

I don't see the Throwback Pack either. And if I go to the Store and search for it is just says "Start" instead of "Download."

joe2187

Banned
Just a blank space. Yet PSN says I installed it. :(

edit: oh, I do have Gauntlet IX, but it's locked]

Same. when i go to the PSN store, or the Web store to download it nothing happens either. It says it's unlocked but nothing shows up and nothing happens when I select download to PS4.

Darak

You had a AI partner for 99% of REV1.

You have a lot of NPC 'partners' running around you in any Call of Duty campaign, and that doesn't make them co-op games. There is a long way from NPCs tagging along for flavor and dialogue, to 'sorry, the AI screwed up, so it is game over for you, next time find a real friend to play with'.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
90 Completion Medals for
Cipher
. It's not possible to get right now, as at the moment in episode 1 you can only get 54 Completion Medals (66 if you have the Throwback Pack), but when episode 2 it should be possible to get. There will be exactly 90 Completion Medals between episode 1 and 2, so if you do every level and get all medals on every level between episode 1 and 2's raid stages, you'll unlock it. Or if you have the Throwback Pack, a bit less than all, should be 102 Completion Medals possible total if you have that.

Can't you easily do this already by using multiple characters?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can't you easily do this already by using multiple characters?

Doesn't count, at least I don't think so. I thought of doing that, and decided to test it by getting a few completion medallions with Wesker, then I got the first stage one's again with Moira, then back to doing it with Wesker. I only got Jill (who you get for 10 Completion Medallions) when I got 10 medallions with Wesker, the Moira medal didn't count separately.

Nemesis_

I wonder if the episode 2 and 3 Raid stages will be jam packed full of RE6 areas? I don't mind, but one has to question if most all of RE6 is going to end up in these Raid Mode stages. XD;

I also am wondering more and more what the big unlockable at the end of Raid Mode is. To quote Capcom-Unity...

Firstly, the Mission number doesn't add up, there's two gauntlets linked to episode 4, one is a regular gauntlet, one is a gauntlet that can only be played on Very Hard difficulty, but that would equate to 24 missions (assuming the last gauntlet is only playable on Very Hard difficulty is composed of the normal 6-level split). Where would the other 44 missions comes from?

I'm also suspicious because at the end of the Revelations 2 OST, there's some really weird music. This is the preview of literally the last song on the soundtrack, which is where the Raid Mode music is (some previews also of music we haven't heard of), but the last song is so.. Strange, for this game: http://www.sumthing.com/uploaded_files/files/previews/ResidentEvilRevelations2/95_Cheap_Sweets.mp3

If there's a Ghost Ship-like thing in this game, that's cool, but I don't think that sort of thing would give you 40 medals... Notably, 44 is also not a number that can be split into three. I've been getting very curious about this...

Most if not all of the later episode stages are Resident Evil 6 ones. Lots of enemy overlap between different games too which is a very nice surprise.

Neiteio

Weakest in the series imo.

And anyone that tells you that it's a throwback to the classic formula has not idea what he or she is talking about.
RER1 is not a throwback to old RE. It's better.

It's an all-original experience that plays like a more deliberative RE4. Tight controls and mechanics; immaculate pacing and flow. Long, atmospheric, semi-open Zenobia stretches, punctuated by more linear, focused, action-packed gauntlets -- brief asides that mix things up with different sets of characters, in different places, without overstaying their welcome. The game's plot flows smoothly by deftly bouncing back and forth between characters and places (and even points in time), leaving each on a cliffhanger so that you're eager to see what happens next.

The game affords plenty of moments to "breathe," bask in the atmosphere and soak up the details. And I love the Divine Comedy motif, the maritime themes, etc. Wonderful game, and Raid is capped off by Ghost Ship, perhaps the best and most harrowing RE experience ever.

BadWolf

It's an all-original experience that plays like a more deliberative RE4. Tight controls and mechanics; immaculate pacing and flow. Long, atmospheric, semi-open Zenobia stretches, punctuated by more linear, focused, action-packed gauntlets -- brief asides that mix things up with different sets of characters, in different places, without overstating their welcome. The game's plot flows smoothly by deftly bouncing back and forth between characters and places (and even points in time), leaving each on a cliffhanger so that you're eager to see what happens next. The game affords plenty of moments to "breathe," bask in the atmosphere and soak up the details. And I love the Divine Comedy motif, the maritime themes, etc. Wo derful game, and Raid is capped off by Ghost Ship, perhaps the best and most harrowing RE experience ever.

Is this from Capcom PR?

I think they have something else up their sleeve. Another difficulty level or a batch or really hard stages or longer stages etc.

DocSeuss

It's an all-original experience that plays like a more deliberative RE4. Tight controls and mechanics; immaculate pacing and flow. Long, atmospheric, semi-open Zenobia stretches, punctuated by more linear, focused, action-packed gauntlets -- brief asides that mix things up with different sets of characters, in different places, without overstaying their welcome. The game's plot flows smoothly by deftly bouncing back and forth between characters and places (and even points in time), leaving each on a cliffhanger so that you're eager to see what happens next.

The game affords plenty of moments to "breathe," bask in the atmosphere and soak up the details. And I love the Divine Comedy motif, the maritime themes, etc. Wonderful game, and Raid is capped off by Ghost Ship, perhaps the best and most harrowing RE experience ever.

I came into it with no experience in any RE games and felt as if it was awful compared to other third-person games, in terms of things like level design, controls, and so on.

Evolved1

I had to laugh at this. I usually enjoy your posts... but not in an ironic way like this one.

This post read like satire.

---------------------

Edit: Btw on a different note, has anyone made a list of the raid stages? I keep forgetting what mission is what... I despise some of them but I keep picking 'em! lol.

scitek

Have the devs of the PC version communicated any timeframe for a patch to fix the performance issues? I'm getting drops to 40fps in empty rooms at 1080p for no reason on a GTX 970 and an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5GHz. I feel that shouldn't be the case.

Neiteio

I came into it with no experience in any RE games and felt as if it was awful compared to other third-person games, in terms of things like level design, controls, and so on.
I'll give you some reference points for my tastes in third-person shooters.

RE4 is king (although its presentation is feeling a bit dated now, IMO). It nails pacing, variety of set-pieces and enemy encounters, and the stand-your-ground zoning combat. But most importantly, it nails the pacing. The rollercoaster hills and valleys.

The Evil Within is nearly on par with it. It was my GOTY 2014. I wasn't expecting much going in, due to mixed impressions (especially where performance is concerned). I'm particularly fascinated with its game balance. See my analysis on the matter.

Looking purely at combat and mobility mechanics, I think RE6 is actually the best. However, the campaigns in that game would benefit from an overhaul that gives the player more opportunities to branch out and breathe, absorbing the atmosphere. Also, the game needs a proper tutorial, since the learning curve is high and so many mechanics are left unexplained. See my guide on the subject.

Vanquish is exhilarating, and was my previous favorite when looking purely at the combat and mobility. It now feels a bit stiff compared to RE6.

Alan Wake also has excellent combat and mobility. I know people found the enemies to be repetitious, but I found them unnerving to the end, and the "pop" when your flashlight dispels their shield never got old. The slow-mo ducking and weaving was similarly gratifying.

RER, of course, is more "stiff" than all of the above, but it's how it plays out as a whole that makes it special. Once you learn to stun enemies by shooting their limbs and then wind up a kick or punch (all melee moves are chargeable), the game settles into a comfortable rhythm of tension... and release... tension... and release... as you zone your enemies, stun them, and attempt to exploit I-frames with crowd-clearing melee. Similar to RE4, but charging each melee move gives the ebb and flow of combat a distinct flavor.

And the levels, while mostly linear, were still paced well and featured good variety. And I thought the atmosphere was fantastic. Of all the action-oriented RE games, I think RER1 has one of the most consistent "textures." Maybe it's the piano-and-violin music, the recurring Divine Comedy aspects, the desolation of the sea and snow, or the melancholy atmosphere all throughout the ship that is the heart of the game. The camp was also at an all-time high. Felt like the world's silliest primetime thriller, and I loved it. :)

Phazon

Have the devs of the PC version communicated any timeframe for a patch to fix the performance issues? I'm getting drops to 40fps in empty rooms at 1080p for no reason on a GTX 970 and an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5GHz. I feel that shouldn't be the case.

Had the same issue. Gave me a lot of stutter. Turned off the steam overlay and I have 90-120 fps now. (still some stutter now and then but I managed to play through it)

Arklite

I hope they come up with something soon. Framerate goes to shit in the larger raid areas. Lowering resolution from 1440p to 1080p gave me almost no improvement, strangely.

Astral Dog

Is Revs 1 worth going back to? Might get it on PSN if it's good fun.

Revelations was weird, its a game that tries to be modern RE at times, while not being as good, other times it tries to be classic RE, with shallow puzzles. if any, linear design and similar things.
It has an unremarkable, bland storyline, bad even compared to other RE games,, the pacing can be annoying as you change characters for one mission in the Zenobia to an action oriented chapter, enemy design is hideous., and not in a good way, except for the final boss,.

But it has its atmospheric moments, ,good soundtrack , impressive graphics for 3DS, and other qualities that make it a decent game though.

Overall i would say Revelations is a very mediocre RE, but its definetly worth checking out, its an impressive, polished handheld game.

Evolved1

So the game says weapons are nerfed to your player level, but never buffed by it.

This is quite annoying now that I've been playing for a bit. Especially the way upgrade parts work, being bound to your weapon unless you destroy one or the other.

So if I have a level 30 weapon, and I'm level 25... the weapon is actually 25, according to the in-game explanation. If I level to 35, the weapon remains at 30. And if you are playing at recommended level, they are usually putting in enemies 2-3 lvls higher than you. So that weapon would be almost 7-8 or so levels under the enemies?

Damn.

I get you constantly have to change your weapons, but this really kills the feeling of getting a rare weapon. Because its utility will be super limited to a vary narrow level window. It also makes buffing your weapons a chore... because everything is bound. And because they were kind of huge assholes with limited weapons storage (so they could sell you more).

I've basically just resigned myself to the idea of only bringing one character into endgame and then leveling others later, since it's too annoying to try and juggle all this stuff at once.

I feel like you should at least get a short buff from higher level weapons,,, a few levels. I feel like the game actually does this, higher level weapons appear to do more damage in recommended level stages, but the game pretty explicitly says it doesn't. It says weapons level is nerfed to player level (as far as damage and capacity).

Idk... trying to figure this stuff out.

Manu

Revelations was weird, its a game that tries to be modern RE at times, while not being as good, other times it tries to be classic RE, with shallow puzzles. if any, linear design and similar things.
It has an unremarkable, bland storyline, bad even compared to other RE games,, the pacing can be annoying as you change characters for one mission in the Zenobia to an action oriented chapter, enemy design is hideous., and not in a good way, except for the final boss,.

But it has its atmospheric moments, ,good soundtrack , impressive graphics for 3DS, and other qualities that make it a decent game though.

Overall i would say Revelations is a very mediocre RE, but its definetly worth checking out, its an impressive, polished handheld game.

Pretty much where I stand.

Weakest non-spinoff RE game to date, still worth checking out.

Evolved1

Pretty much where I stand.

Weakest non-spinoff RE game to date, still worth checking out.

Raid is the main attraction there. Imo.

Anyway...

I like what they're doing with Raid in Rev2. But they need to add a little more mercs influence:

• More damn melee. Way more. Re6 type more.
  • Countdown stages should have time crystals and melee time bonuses. A true homage to Mercs.
Things like that. I have high hopes for RE7... I hope they keep going with Raid. RE games shipping with Mercs and Raid would be pretty damn amazing.

AEREC

eTdBWX.gif

Raid Mode is so much fun.

it's pretty good...unfortunately it sometimes runs at the same framerate as your GIF though =(

Erebus

Mine dips down to 13fps in larger areas. Raid mode is unplayable for the most part after the patch.

A question on Raid mode. Why is my co-op partners level showing as lv.10 (13)? While I am just lv.13. We're both levelling up together, what's the difference?

Vamphuntr

What's the biggest FPS killer? I've been tweaking my settings and still getting framerate between 35 - 60fps

It's poorly optimized so the only way to run it well is to have a really good machine right now. I think the light effects are responsible for the drops.

A question on Raid mode. Why is my co-op partners level showing as lv.10 (13)? While I am just lv.13. We're both levelling up together, what's the difference?

He lowered his level to 10 to get medals?

You can lower your level on the deploy screens so you can get medals.

Neiteio

So I guess I'm slow on the uptake, but four missions into Raid, I realize the settings are all from RE6: the snowy war-torn city, the Chinese marketplace, Tall Oaks in flames, the university, etc.

If these settings are in regular missions, what's in the "Throwback Pack?" (Bought it but can't play it until it's unlocked in Gauntlet 9, apparently)

DedValve

Banned

Better than the remake and trilogy? I... Wow... Ok.

Seyavesh

So I guess I'm slow on the uptake, but four missions into Raid, I realize the settings are all from RE6: the snowy war-torn city, the Chinese marketplace, Tall Oaks in flames, the university, etc.

If these settings are in regular missions, what's in the "Throwback Pack?" (Bought it but can't play it until it's unlocked in Gauntlet 9, apparently)

banquet hall (leon ch. 1) and requiem for war mercs map from RE6 twice (upper level and bottom level)

the queen zenobia's main hall from rev 1

it's pretty fucked up in terms of name 'cuz i thought the rest of the raid maps weren't from RE6 also but supposedly the trend keeps on goin' all the way to the end?

Evolved1

There are many RE6/Rev1 stages outside of the 4 from the throwback pack.

We actually should be able to play G-IX right now but there's some kind of error with the pack. If you don't mind, could you attempt restoring your licenses and tell me if you get an error? I suspect this pack is glitched for north americans.

Schlomo

And anyone that tells you that it's a throwback to the classic formula has not idea what he or she is talking about. Action/shooting up the wazoo.

It's a throwback in the sense that most of the game takes place in a constrained space with very different and recognizable areas. You have to find keys, backtrack and open up more and more of the cruise ship.

RE 4 and 5 weren't like that.

Of course, it also has the action-y, linear interludes and it's debatable if the game would be better without them.

tesqui

Oh weird I can do the dailies online but nothing else. I guess that's because they don't rank the dailies therefore not having to access the servers creating the crash.

Top Bottom