• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

Slowdive

Banned
Just finished the campaign and it was better than I thought it would be. Looking forward to the next episode. Haven't had any issues with raid mode so far.

It's a throwback in the sense that most of the game takes place in a constrained space with very different and recognizable areas. You have to find keys, backtrack and open up more and more of the cruise ship.

RE 4 and 5 weren't like that.

The map is also interconnected during long periods of time (with secrets to be found through backtracking), the art direction is in the vein of RE1/2, there's way less enemies and there's even item boxes. And most people always say that the Jill campaign in particular is a throwback, the rest obviously isn't. I suspect that the backlash comes from people that didn't read properly. I know the old games well enough and Revelations was the first game since Zero to actually feel somewhat like real Resident Evil, even if isn't completely there yet .

The game should be played on 3DS though. Shit controls in the console versions and the graphics only look good on a handheld.

Kssio_Aug

The map is also interconnected during long periods of time (with secrets to be found through backtracking), the art direction is in the vein of RE1/2, there's way less enemies and there's even item boxes. And most people always say that the Jill campaign in particular is a throwback, the rest obviously isn't. I suspect that the backlash comes from people that didn't read properly. I know the old games well enough and Revelations was the first game since Zero to actually feel somewhat like real Resident Evil, even if isn't completely there yet .

The game should be played on 3DS though. Shit controls in the console versions and the graphics only look good on a handheld.

I may be crazy. It seems I'm the only one who really enjoyed the controls/gameplay... I think its much better then RE4 and 5 in that regard (never played 6).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Alright, so I just finished Claire's scenario with Japanese voices on:

The dialogue has no ham or cheese at all. It takes itself very seriously and is presented as such. Moira is essentially a different character. She talks like a punk teenager, but not that kind of punk teenager. No swearing. More stuff like "Aw, man" or "Come on". A couple examples (paraphrased):

English: "What in the moist barrel of fucks-"

Japanese: *Distressed* "What is this place?"

English: "Fucking technology!"

Japanese: "Ugh, this is the worst."

English: "Fucking Barry! All he ever does is push back-"

Japanese: "Barry is the worst. He's always-"

Most of the F bombs are replaced with "saiyaku" which - and I'm not all that fluent in Japanese, so correct me if I'm wrong - essentially means "the worst", or "this is the worst". The one line where she complains about Barry "granny swearing" is nonexistent, as far as I can tell. Nowhere near as vulgar. Claire is mostly the same, but sounds much more mature and motherly in Japanese.

Arklite

The dialogue has no ham or cheese at all. It takes itself very seriously and is presented as such. Moira is essentially a different character. She talks like a punk teenager, but not that kind of punk teenager. No swearing. More stuff like "Aw, man" or "Come on".

It's also interesting to check out some of the other voice overs, because it seems like the Japanese version may be the only one that has Moira being more conservative. Her Spanish and French versions seem to match the English version perfectly, so perhaps the JP version has the biggest changes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's also interesting to check out some of the other voice overs, because it seems like the Japanese version may be the only one that has Moira being more conservative. Her Spanish and French versions seem to match the English version perfectly, so perhaps the JP version has the biggest changes.
I want to know which it was written in first. I know the English dub is probably the "canon" dub as it usually is for the RE series, but the Japanese dialogue is usually written first, which would make it representative of the original script.

Shauni

I've noticed in a lot of Japanese stuff that I've watched dubbed, there's usually much less obscenities (not always, but generally), and I've heard from other that even a lot of subbed stuff will drop obscenities even when technically it's not what the character is saying, just the sake of emphasis. I don't know, all of that is second hand information, but it might just be that cursing isn't as common in everyday language or something in Japanese culture.

The foulest word in the Japanese language usually goes no deeper than 'shit'.

Everything else they borrow from English, like fuck and bitch. (EDIT: actually scratch that, they do have a word for bitch, but it's literal)

Arklite

I want to know which it was written in first. I know the English dub is probably the "canon" dub as it usually is for the RE series, but the Japanese dialogue is usually written first, which would make it representative of the original script.

Yeah I'd like to know as well. I have to admit that I've only seen viewed the cutscenes in different languages through the game's gallery, and not done entire playthroughs with them on, so I'm not sure how the other languages handle stuff like the 'moist barrel' line, or if they even try. Perhaps that's the English team adding their own spin.

The dialogue has no ham or cheese at all. It takes itself very seriously and is presented as such. Moira is essentially a different character. She talks like a punk teenager, but not that kind of punk teenager. No swearing. More stuff like "Aw, man" or "Come on". A couple examples (paraphrased):

Most of the F bombs are replaced with "saiyaku" which - and I'm not all that fluent in Japanese, so correct me if I'm wrong - essentially means "the worst", or "this is the worst". The one line where she complains about Barry "granny swearing" is nonexistent, as far as I can tell. Nowhere near as vulgar. Claire is mostly the same, but sounds much more mature and motherly in Japanese.

Whoa!?

Gonna have to try this!

BadWolf

I'll be sticking to English, thanks.

SolVanderlyn

"Moist barrel of fucks."

Not sure if I love this line or hate this line.
With your current avatar? I think you do know.

Neiteio

So I bought and installed the Throwback Pack on PS4. My understanding is it's Gauntlet IX. It's locked, though, and says ??? for Unlock Conditions. Any ideas?

Neff

I could tell they'd screwed the translation from the first time Moira started talking in the developer playthroughs. It's not only inappropriate for the series, it also sounds outright bad.

Give those translators a raise.

SolVanderlyn

Personally, I feel like the cheese has its place, and I don't mind it so much in a game like RE, but if I had to choose, the Japanese script is the more preferable of the two. It feels authentic and natural, like it's going for a genuine horror vibe, and it doesn't feel contrived like you might expect. I actually got a much greater RE1/2/3 vibe from the Japanese script, even though the original games had cheese in their translations, too. Probably because the original games were all taking themselves seriously, and this translation goes all out and is pretty unapologetic in its... er, "creative" liberties that it takes. But it's not like they're worlds apart, either, aside from Moira's personality shift.

Oh, the "Terr" doesn't have to end with "orist" line was definitely not in the JP dialogue. I don't remember what was said exactly. Something along the lines of "you can always count on us" or something like that. Something you might hear in a real ad. (No agency would EVER let the English one pass through, haha).

That said, I absolutely love Barry's English VA and dialogue, and I felt that Natalia's was great, too. I'm about to play through his segment in Japanese, so I'll give my impressions of that soon.

Zambatoh

Having done a Japanese play through myself, I'd have to say (imo) that the Japanese dialogue is incredibly boring and lacks any real personality. So heaven forbid that the english team tries to inject a little flavor into the dialogue.

Shauni

I honestly didn't have an issue with the cursing. Some of it is silly (like the moist barrel of fucks), but I don't think any of it is really excessive for a younger person in the situation.

SolVanderlyn

Ok, finished Barry's scenario in Japanese. It is largely the same script with very few minor differences. The character's personalities are conveyed the same way, as well. Much less of a change coming from Claire's scenario. The master of unlocking nod is obviously missing, replaced with a generic "now we can get through" type of line. Two noticeable instances that stuck out to me:

English:

Barry: What a pretty name.

Natalia: What's your name?

Barry: My name's Barry.

Natalia: Barry?

Barry: That's right, don't wear it out.

Japanese:

Barry: That's a nice name.

Barry: Nice name, isn't it?

This came off as snarkier than his English dialogue.

Another one that only makes sense if you've heard Japanese Moira:

English:

Barry: Well, that was the really long way around...

Japanese:

Barry: That was a long way around. How terrible.

The "how terrible" he uses is the same "saiyaku" catchphrase Moira uses throughout her segment. The way it was translated conveys the sarcasm in his Japanese statement very well, but it was interesting to see that little nod to his daughter. I guess they didn't want sweet old Barry swearing up a storm.

I'm surprised that the Raid Mode stages are actually unique stages, and not just running through the campaign's stages with new enemy placement like in Rev 1.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

English dialogue seems like it has more personality. Moira sounds like a real person in English. Japanese version sounds stilted from those lines.

SolVanderlyn

English dialogue seems like it has more personality. Moira sounds like a real person in English. Japanese version sounds stilted from those lines.
It may seem that way from looking at a script, but she is just as filled with personality in the Japanese version. There were a couple of instances where she seemed to show more emotion than the English Moira (like when you see the bodies hanging from hooks - she sounded genuinely disturbed here as opposed to moderately uncomfortable). You have to play it to see what I mean. Go ahead and try - the voice option is right there in the options menu! The main difference is in the lack of profanity. What they swap it with makes her seem not necessarily like a generic character, but more like... I dunno, a female version of Bill or Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but less dumb. That's probably a poor analogy, but she is very "teenager" in the Japanese script.

Moira's voice itself is much closer to her English counterpart than Claire's, though. Claire's Japanese voice is much more soothing, and older sounding. Not sure if I like it better or worse. It's a unique take on her character, though.

Astral Dog

Ok, finished Barry's scenario in Japanese. It is largely the same script with very few minor differences. The character's personalities are conveyed the same way, as well. Much less of a change coming from Claire's scenario. The master of unlocking nod is obviously missing, replaced with a generic "now we can get through" type of line. Two noticeable instances that stuck out to me:

English:

Barry: What a pretty name.

Barry: That's right, don't wear it out.

Japanese:

Barry: That's a nice name.

Barry: Nice name, isn't it?

This came off as snarkier than his English dialogue.

Another one that only makes sense if you've heard Japanese Moira:

English:

Barry: Well, that was the really long way around...

Japanese:

Barry: That was a long way around. How terrible.

The "how terrible" he uses is the same "saiyaku" catchphrase Moira uses throughout her segment. The way it was translated conveys the sarcasm in his Japanese statement very well, but it was interesting to see that little nod to his daughter. I guess they didn't want sweet old Barry swearing up a storm.
Snarkier? that don't wear it out seemed a bit weird as he is talking to a little girl.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So is Capcom aware the Throwback Pack isn't working for Americans?

No clue. I get a weird error when I try to restore licences... similar to what the broken Driveclub launch was doing to people.

tumblr_nki7gau2091r0d3ugo2_500.gif

Kriken

Just beat episode 1, gotta say, a bit disappointing on PC :/

Not a framerate nut, but watching certain areas dip to 24 fps while the rest of the game is supposed to be 60 really bothered me. This wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the fact that my rig is decent and I turned down a few of the settings. Gameplay wise it's fun and I'll try out raid mode later tonight

Completed the first episode, I think at least for now, the narrative feels really solid.

Then again that was one of Revelations 1 strong point, at least for Jill's side, but now with both!

Shauni

Oh the RE2 (or CV?) Claire is a mod? Well, that's kind of disappointing, was hoping that was something found in all the file digging that would show up in the actual game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chris in Raid Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4Olvh3jPU

His own melee attack.

Leon in Raid Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuuLl0bYTK0

Leon has his basic ass kick from RE6.

They both have the knife ground attack which is SO fucking LAZY by Capcom, this pisses me off. Melee is still so limited and so many characters STILL share melee moves.

This is probably my least favorite thing about the game. I loved all the different melee attacks before, and now seeing Hunk not even have his neck snap is criminal.

Top Bottom