• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution gate infintyward responds eurogamer

So they had the game running at 1080p at some point but they weren't happy with the performance, ok I get that but did they have to downgrade the resolution that much to maintain a 60fps? the difference in pixel density is massive between the two...plus they had help from MS engineers all this time? wow.

On the other hand you have BF4 on Xbone running at the same res and frame-rate but looking much much better than what we've seen from Ghosts. Either Xbone is a total mess (even worse than what we expected) in terms of hardware, OS and tools or IW's engine is an unoptimized piece of shit...to be honest it sounds like a combination of the two.

DICE's engine is clearly superior from a graphic's perspective. BF4 is the perfect example of this. Both launch games, both running at 720p on XB1, but one looks much more impressive. However, it has to be noted that the COD games put the highest priority on input latency and response, so they do have to keeps things simpler for that reason. Unsurprisingly you see Titanfall also not being a graphical showpiece, and it's being made by the very same people who created Call of Duty. That's at least partially because they also want Titanfall to feel extremely responsive and quick.

What would an Xfan take as good news from this?

That he leaves the door open for future COD games to run at 1080p on XB1. He gives hope to the idea that this is all just a "tools" issue, rather than the PS4 just being that much more powerful (which it is).

It was carefully constructed to deflect criticism aimed at IW without overtly pissing all over MS. I'd say he did OK if that was the brief. By emphasising that they spent some time on this and even had MS help, the interview leaves everyone looking elsewhere (i.e. at MS, their box) for answers.

Good point.

The Order is rendered at 1920 x 800 natively.

COD:Ghosts on Xbox One is rendered at 1280 x 720 natively, and then upscaled.

Does that make sense?

One shows that it's rendered the way you see it on screen, the other is stretched to fit the screen.

This is correct. When you say it is just 720p native that communicates that there is no upscaling involved.

Skeff

Ok everyone, After reading this article and finding out that MS have been helping CoD achieve 720/60 on the XB1 can we all just take a moment to say: Well done DICE, well done.

Rafterman

Banned
Really no one is saying that? I've read tons of people saying it cannot run games at 1080p and that was clearly true before this interview and I suspect it will remain true after it. The bit about not being able to reach the target framerate is not only something in the quote, it is something I acknowledged... so why are you calling me quite the fool... did you even bother to read my post beyond two sentences? It isn't like it was long.

I agree that it would be foolish to say. Before this article it would be foolish to say as well. But make no mistake, people even on gaf have said that the xbox one is not capable of 1080p, even despite forza 5 being reportedly 1080p native.

Yes I know.

Don't be dense.

Of course it can technically output at 1080p...so could the 360 and PS3. The problem is that it's not powerful enough to run games at that resolution at an acceptable level. That's what people mean by it can't run games at 1080p, and you already know that or are extremely obtuse.

Ok everyone, After reading this article and finding out that MS have been helping CoD achieve 720/60 on the XB1 can we all just take a moment to say: Well done DICE, well done.

Not sure what you mean. How do you know DICE didn't have Microsoft engineers involved as well? They probably did.

DieH@rd

Banned
So voice chat isn't build in to the OS anymore?

According to famousmortimer, MS tore down everything that Allard has built for X360 OS. Everything in Xbone is built from scratch, and therefore its totally untested and (by his accoutns) very frustrating for developers.

It was carefully constructed to deflect criticism aimed at IW without overtly pissing all over MS. I'd say he did OK if that was the brief. By emphasising that they spent some time on this and even had MS help, the interview leaves everyone looking elsewhere (i.e. at MS, their box) for answers.

yeah. given his position, he's surprisingly frank (while not saying anything that'll particularly upset anyone). I'm still impressed that he just outright publically announced the resolutions. he's very good at this aspect of his job compared to most.

kitch9

Banned
If what he says is true, this is even worse than I thought.

I believed that the reasons for going 720p was due to running out of space on EDRAM and lacking good dev tools to manage the memory.

He makes it sound like there is a general problem with GPU resources.

The fact there's a lot less gpu resources should indicated that.

Never purchased a Call of Duty Game before. But,I will reward IW for not going with the lowest common denominator. Letting the PS4 version run at 1080/60 while the XO could not was probably not easy from a business perspective.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Never purchased a Call of Duty Game before. But,I will reward IW for not going with the lowest common denominator. Letting the PS4 version run at 1080/60 while the XO could not was probably not easy from a business perspective.
A sign of things to come from all third partyies hopefully.

So IW themselves confirm it's a less powerful machine.

Gaming media. Your move.

Eh, it's a complete non-story, aside from the IW deflecting the parity blame away from them and over to the hardware in a most politically smooth manner.

It would've been a story only if Rubin accidentally 'oops' and confirmed that some stuff in the OS are currently fucked up in ways that sound similar to the insider leaks.

Sweep14

Obviously, COD is not a graphical powerhouse, but they're developing across five platforms simultaneously and have incrementally added technology to a 13 year-old codebase, and set 60fps as their goal. I would say all things considered they're doing pretty well. Looking at BF4 on Xbone, I would not say they're that far behind DICE given the same constraints (720p, 60fps).

One thing to worry although : Dice said that they will implement AO on X1 with their D1 patch of the game but I can't help myself to think that it will have an impact on framerate.

Interesting interview - he is worried about how much RAM to allocate to things when they have 8GB to play with over the paltry amounts on current gen? Seems odd.

The frame rate difference must have been massive to drop so much, surely 900p if it was close but not quite 60.

Adds further credence to that guy who posted that they were only getting 15 fps when they first got it up and running.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81321425

He's mentioning "MB" of RAM so he must be talking about ESRAM issues. This pretty much confirms ESRAM being the major issue right now.

Demon Ice

Banned
The fact that they had Microsoft engineers there from the start and had been trying so hard to get 1080p from the get go does not bode well for the XB1.

I was under the assumption that they were just slammed trying to develop the game across so many consoles at once so they had to rush a bit for the XB1 but it really sounds like they were bending over backwards trying to get it to run at 1080p60. Not even exactly 60 FPS, he says they couldn't even get the frame rate in the "neighborhood" of 60 FPS.

Full interview here at Edge: http://www.edge-online.com/news/spot-the-difference-infinity-wards-mark-rubin-on-next-gen-call-of-dutys-resolution-disparity/

(Should it go in the OP?)

Interesting:

So you see this being a continuing trend? Will PS4, being the easier console to work with, end up getting the better looking games in this launch window?

I don’t know but overall I do know that other companies have been saying that they’re also 720 on Xbox One – BF4 was 720, Titanfall has already said they’re going to be 720 on Xbox One so it seems to be the dominant direction at the moment, but so much can change.

dr_rus

Because it is being upscaled? Silly question. It's not being displayed as native 720p. It's being displayed as 1080p. It's upscaled content.
It's actually your choice if it's upscaled or not. You may set your 1080p TV to 1:1 pixel mapping and you console to 720p output and play without any upscaling, with huge black borders.
Saying that it's "720p upscaled to 1080p" is just FUD.

So IW themselves confirm it's a less powerful machine.

Gaming media. Your move.

Gaming media by and large will still go with the lines:

PS4, reportedly more powerful than XB1...
Rumours suggest the PS4 is more powerful than XB1...

Etc etc to the annoyance of everyone that is not completely insane and have the ability to read or hear a basic run-down of each system's specs.

mocoworm

So no-one picked up on this which seems to either completely debunk FamousMortimer, Thuway and CBOAT's posts on GAF regarding each game having to program it's own VOIP, or confirm them?

Depends how you read it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705280&highlight= << FamousMortimer's post

Eurogamer said:
Mark Rubin: There's stuff in the console's OS that interacts with the game. So, for instance, voice chat is often supported by the hardware manufacturer rather than the software, and you're just using their channel. When that stuff is changing - because they're developing it on their side - and the resources they're using are changing - your, from a game design standpoint, challenge is with trying to make enough room for those resources to be used but at the same time use as much resources as possible.

dungtongue

Neo Member

It seems like a pretty easy decision. They were targeting 1080/60 at first, but couldn't reach it on one platform. It takes more work to tear down the PS4 version to 720p as well and there's also no reason to, so they didn't. This saved them development time and costs.

Bundy

Banned
If Forza can do it why can't it be possible after these launch titles?
Forza, which isn't doing a lot (tech. speaking) + 1st Party Title + ~400 people working on it = 1080p being possible.

So you see this being a continuing trend? Will PS4, being the easier console to work with, end up getting the better looking games in this launch window?

I don&#8217;t know but overall I do know that other companies have been saying that they&#8217;re also 720 on Xbox One &#8211; BF4 was 720, Titanfall has already said they&#8217;re going to be 720 on Xbox One so it seems to be the dominant direction at the moment, but so much can change.
Yep!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So no-one picked up on this which seems to either completely debunk FamousMortimer, Thuway and CBOAT's posts on GAF regarding each game having to program it's own VOIP, or confirm them?

If anything, I see a confirmation. It absolutely sounds as if VoIP is now part of the game's process, probably provided by a library.

Yeah. Looks like he just confirmed Titanfall has a 720p target for Xbox One...

oh boy...

If anything, I see a confirmation. It absolutely sounds as if VoIP is now part of the game's process, probably provided by a library.

I picked up on this too. I'm legit worried now.

x-Lundz-x

If Forza can do it why can't it be possible after these launch titles?

You make it sound like Forza is anywhere near as demanding as these other launch titles. Just because one game is running at 1080P doesn't mean it's the same as something else completely that is also running at 1080P.

By that logic you could say well, Xbox One can run HL2 at 1080P 60FPS so why can't it run Ghosts at 1080P? Extreme example but you should get my point.

mocoworm

I think it debunks them. He says they are 'making enough room for them to be used', not that they have to write them from scratch for their own game.

This is correct. When you say it is just 720p native that communicates that there is no upscaling involved.

It is insignificant detail as everything is 1080p on my 1080p tv. I have played every ps3 game upscaled to 1080p on my tv (bar games with black bars or weird apectratio). What if my tv was 720p. Does xbo upscale image to 1080p so tv would have to downscale to 720p?

Top Bottom