• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

Dunk#7

Do we even know if is a good game yet? That fact hasn't been established

It may very well be, but why are we all so obsessed about a game that could still flop?

Also...if I read the comments on another site about cloud processing one more time I'm going to throw up. How did Microsoft deliver the PR message about cloud computing so convincingly? People are eating it up, and don't even know what they are talking about.

Serious question AGAIN.

Why are people ignoring the act that Respawn BEFORE E3 was talking about how MS was providing a deal on Azure servers.

Dedicated servers for a MP-only title BEFORE their was any buzz?

How exactly is MS the bad guy in this?

They are effectively paying EA to keep the game off PS4 which sucks. It's an effective tool to increase their userbase for people desperate to play a next-gen version of TitanFall, but it is a scummy move.

Guerilla

That is not a functional difference. The end result is exactly the same. And the process is hardly any different either. Sony pays the same cash/yen/whatever that microsoft does to get exclusivity.

There is an obvious difference between creating something and using other companies' creations. One adds to the industry while the other just takes something/removes a feature from the competition.

It's a harsh lesson about the world, really. You might be creative and have some wonderful ideas (as a team or as an individual) but you can't make it a reality without taking someone else's money to do it.

I'll leave the dramatics of capitalism out of this. Most of us know the score there. The idea is just that eventually, people come for their pound of flesh in one way or another. Facebook didn't really want to go public, for example.

I guess Vince just has to work out at what point are his personal values compromised.

Oh man, capitalism and the gaming industry would be a great discussion. Even for this environment though this isn't normal. Zampella just keeps getting screwed.

Jabba

Banned
EA will do anything to help MS bring about the DRM-laden future that they thought they'd finally get from this console generation - including screwing over their own devs by making exclusive deals at the expense of gamers.

I've said for a while, anyone that supports EA as a publisher is actively helping to ruin the games industry.

Exactly. Was coming in to see if anyone posted this.

Well MS are keeping a potential system seller off the competition, but not only that with the way multiplatform development is going right now, there is a good chance a lot of hardcore gamers would have not bothered with the 720p Bone version and waited for a full HD PS4 version. That is especially true if the PS4 continues to show BF4 level advantages in resolution and framerate.

Man, I remember when the 360 was my go-to platform for its great online feature set and general multiplat performance advantage.

What happened MS.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Serious question AGAIN.

Why are people ignoring the act that Respawn BEFORE E3 was talking about how MS was providing a deal on Azure servers.

How exactly is MS the bad guy in this?

Serious question.

How do you know Sony wasn't going to provide dedicated servers as well for an eventual PS4 release of Titanfall? It isn't like Respawn could talk about that freely.

Jburton

Banned
This does not confirm TitanFall 2 for PS4, because another deal could pop up and TitanFall 2 could become MS exclusive too lol. It only confirms that TitanFall is not coming to PS4 (anytime some atleast).

You don't know what your talking about, it's that simple.

PBY

Banned
Serious question AGAIN.

How exactly is MS the bad guy in this?[/QUOTE]

They are effectively paying EA to keep the game off PS4 which sucks. It's an effective tool to increase their userbase for people desperate to play a next-gen version of TitanFall, but it is a scummy move.

I just don't see how its different from 2nd party development.

Gator86

Where did you get that from?

He just sounded disappointed at EA, but hardly depressed or anything of the sort.

I'd say a developer stating that the publisher signed a deal behind their back and throwing out sad faces on twitter is kind of defeated.

Im actually quite surprised by this. God forbid MS would use the vast resources they wasted on this deal to fund a new IP or something

This is the bigger implication on this news. How many first party exclusives lost for 2015-2016 because of this deal? Don't think Microsoft EDD is allowed to throw money around like that, especially since their is talk of selling the games part of EDD. Such a stupid deal. MS needs to focus on first party production.

Feorax

Why do people keep saying "what if MS pays for Titanfall 2? Respawn can't do anything then!"

Just for clarification;

1. Zampella's tweets are pretty clear. Respawn want this IP on as many platforms as possible.

2. EA / MS have no rights to any Titanfall sequel or future Respawn IP. This was a one game deal under EA partners program. Zampella learnt not to relinquish the IP after Activision fucked them with Modern Warfare.

3. Given that EA went behind Respawn's back, and Respawn clearly aren't happy, it's unlikely Respawn will want to sign a deal with another publisher without a guarantee of multi platform development.If Titanfall is as big as we're being told it will be, then Respawn will get whatever the fuck they want out of their next publishing deal.

So respawn will leave EA? Because unless it is leaving its publisher anything can happen. Doubt it though. However the fanbase for the game will be made on the XB1 which is what MS wants. So we will see how this pans out.

It was a one game deal. The publisher - developer relationship is terminated as soon as Titanfall is done.

PBY

Banned
This is the bigger implication on this news. How many first party exclusives lost for 2015-2016 because of this deal? Don't think Microsoft EDD is allowed to throw money around like that, especially since their is talk of selling the games part of EDD. Such a stupid deal. MS needs to focus on first party production.

Whats the difference? Its the same end result.

But what you don't point out is that the end results to the consumer are exactly the same. To buy that software you need that hardware. Sony is not a charity. They will not release LBP games on the PC, or something like the 3DS.
why would I focus on just the end result?

Scenario one: Here's a chicken, I raise them myself, and have surplus, here's one for you...eat enjoy

Scenario 2: Here's a chicken, I stole it from a farmer because I think they have plenty, here's one for you...eat enjoy

I don't want chicken 2!!!

What is hard about that? If MS grew there first parties more, I think most people would enjoy/appreciate that more than exclusive money hatting. It's absurd to think everyone reasons that way--only worried about the "end result" I don't do that in any aspect of my life, and entertainment is no exception.

Now, don't go and post me slave workers making PS4's and X1 and all that nonsense, just saying, would rather have studios built.

Given that MS was the one fronting the cash for the servers which means that Respawn/EA didn't have to worry about that, how exactly is this any different than the fact that Rime for example is a PS4 exclusive?

PBY

Banned
Why do people keep saying "what if MS pays for Titanfall 2? Respawn can't do anything then!"

Just for clarification;

1. Zampella's tweets are pretty clear. Respawn want this IP on as many platforms as possible.

2. EA / MS have no rights to any Titanfall sequel or future Respawn IP. This was a one game deal under EA partners program. Zampella learnt not to relinquish the IP after Activision fucked them with Modern Warfare.

3. Given that EA went behind Respawn's back, and Respawn clearly aren't happy, it's unlikely Respawn will want to sign a deal with another publisher without a guarantee of multi platform development.If Titanfall is as big as we're being told it will be, then Respawn will get whatever the fuck they want out of their next publishing deal.

Man, this is a whole bunch of stuff that is made up.

Hindle

Banned

Just for clarification;

So if MS approached Respawn directly with a tonn of money, would they refuse? My understanding is Respawn are pissed they're not seeing any of the money MS paid EA, which was obviously a lot.

teiresias

I think any plans for Titanfall to be an "every two years" franchise are out the window with this.

I think you'll also see Respawn do the bare minimum required expansion support (if the number of expansions and post-launch content is dictated in the current contract), and quickly move on to development of the sequel.

If the PS4 takes off out of the gate as the leading platform worldwide as seems likely at this point, then they can't afford to have the franchise absent from it for two whole years while other franchises gain mindshare, it simply won't happen, and Respawn will have to pump out a sequel not encumbered by this deal as quickly as possible.

Whats the difference? Its the same end result.

Just look at the 360. GTA and COD expensive timed deals. Now look at the first party stuff the last 3 years for it. It was woeful. Continuing this trend will not help it as much as last generation. Not when your box costs $500. Now I doubt they drop the price because MS will feel like they don't have to with Titanfall exclusive. Don't expect a price cut/kinectless model in 2014.

Wonder if they'll get a new publisher for the sequel
Like I said in the last thread, " MS's first "Mass Effect" deal of the generation".

Except there's a difference. Microsoft was the publisher for Mass Effect, there was never a though that the sequels would go multiplatform when they announced it in 2005. With Titanfall it was supposed to be a regular timed exclusive, but they must have changed the deal.

PBY

Banned
Just look at the 360. GTA and COD expensive timed deals. Now look at the first party stuff the last 3 years for it. It was woeful. Continuing this trend will not help it as much as last generation. Not when your box costs $500. Now I doubt they drop the price because MS will feel like they don't have to with Titanfall exclusive. Don't expect a price cut/kinectless model in 2014.

But... whats the benefit of 1st party developed games if you're spending money on what is the functional equivalent of such content? An exclusive fills the same role?

Feorax

So if MS approached Respawn directly with a tonn of money, would they refuse? My understanding is Respawn are pissed they're not seeing any of the money MS paid EA, which was obviously a lot.

I'm not saying that can't happen, I'm saying it would be entirely at Respawn's discretion. Other posters seem to think that if MS paid EA a lot of money, then Titanfall 2 would be Xbox exclusive, which isn't the case at all.

Beelzebubs

RBN76Zi.jpg

I just don't see how its different from 2nd party development.

Second party development allows for more risks to be taken by the developer since sales are not always the number one objective for the platform holders. Secondly, second party development allows for more artistic and creative freedom, again because sales are not always the number one objective. Stuff like Journey or Heavy Rain are good examples of this. Even stuff like TW101 is a good example.

A lot of the time, games that would not otherwise be produced are made under second party deals because platform holders are less sales-oriented than big publishers.

This deal is MS effectively paying to keep a big system seller off the PS4, no other way to look at it. I think it is a good deal for them. As a PS4 gamer who isn't going to get a Bone, I'm less enthused, but Destiny will be enough for me and both titles look pretty great tbh, I just wish Destiny was going to be out sooner!

Based on a sadface that could mean a bunch of different things? He even says explicitly in the tweet that one console is a GOOD thing, MS is a good partner, focus, etc.

If Respawn wanted to make TF an exclusive, they would've gone to MS in the first place and would've undoubtedly been far better off then than they are now. EA is forcing them to be exclusive even after they very explicitly went to a 3rd party publisher to be released as multiplatform.

That's the difference, not the same result.

Based on a sadface that could mean a bunch of different things? He even says explicitly in the tweet that one console is a GOOD thing, MS is a good partner, focus, etc.
yeah, I think it's more of a "sorry PS4 only" fans kinda thing as well...We've heard from many devs, especially the ones on Sony blog Dev diary thing that working with one platform is a great thing. And TF, along with the hype, is still a new IP, I'm sure it's easier to just be working on PC and X1.

why would I focus on just the end result?

Scenario one: Here's a chicken, I raise them myself, and have surplus, here's one for you...eat enjoy

Scenario 2: Here's a chicken, I stole it from a farmer because I think they have plenty, here's one for you...eat enjoy

I don't want chicken 2!!!

What is hard about that? If MS grew there first parties more, I think most people would enjoy/appreciate that more than exclusives. It's absurd to think everyone reasons that way--only worried about the "end result" I don't do that in any aspect of my life, and entertainment is no exception.

Now, don't go and post me slave workers making PS4's and X1 and all that nonsense, just saying, would rather have studios built.

So you won't be able to enjoy TitanFall as much knowing they didn't give birth to it and raise it?

From a business perspective yes, it would make more sense in actually owning the ip's but that also comes at a risk. TitanFall is generating a ton of positive feedback. That can be hard to do on new ip's at any time but when you have the guys from the original Call of Duty that risk is lessened because they have the experience. I'm sure people would be just as upset if they took the team and bought them out like they did with Rare.

A franchise like Gears of war proved they could secure a license while not owning the ip. Who's to say they won't be doing the same here?

charsace

This doesn't make any sense to me. This guy got into the whole fight with Activision because they wanted more control over COD. Then they go and give control to this game to EA? This guy is a hit maker. How can he not have any say in business decisions? This is like Cameron bending over and letting a studio reem him after the previous studio her worked with reemed him.

Tulerian

Hmm...

Surely any publishing deal should be agreed between parties, and be beneficial to both? Otherwise why would anyone use a publisher, as they will continually screw you over for their own benef... oh wait!

This will harm Respawn's exposure to costumers, and result in loss of potential royalties. Isn't that a publishers duty to ensure maximum sales and revenue for the client? I can't see how this couldn't be challenged in court to be honest. Seems like a breach of trust.

Shitty deal. Shitty company.

Unfortunately I don't think this will be the last third party exclusive, but just the beginning until MS either win or bail out due to investor pressure.

PBY

Banned
Second party development allows for more risks to be taken by the developer since sales are not always the number one objective for the platform holders. Secondly, second party development allows for more artistic and creative freedom, again because sales are not always the number one objective. Stuff like Journey or Heavy Rain are good examples of this. Even stuff like TW101 is a good example.

A lot of the time, games that would not otherwise be produced are made under second party deals because platform holders are less sales-oriented than big publishers.

This deal is MS effectively paying to keep a big system seller off the PS4, no other way to look at it. I think it is a good deal for them. As a PS4 gamer who isn't going to get a Bone, I'm less enthused, but Destiny will be enough for me and both titles look pretty great tbh, I just wish Destiny was going to be out sooner!
I don't agree with the bolded at all.

Mifune

Mehmber

A good thing for LAUNCH. Also, he explicitly states that this was EA's deal. He couldn't say "I'm not happy about it either" any better without actually saying it. Hell, he even uses the sad face.

Serious question.

How do you know Sony wasn't going to provide dedicated servers as well for an eventual PS4 release of Titanfall? It isn't like Respawn could talk about that freely.

Given that Respawn mentioned the dedicated servers from MS BEFORE E3 (when the actual buzz about Titanfall started) AND the fact that Sony has explicitly said "Dedicated servers are up to the developers" and their own IP (Killzone:SF) doesn't use dedicated servers, I think it's safe to assume Sony wasn't going to pony up cash for that.

So, what should the fair tradeoff be for MS as to me this, seems akin to 2nd part development (throw in the marketing as well. Is Destiny going to get pushed by Sony for Activision/Bungie?)

People hate on publishers but it is the publishers who actually take on the major risks. If titanfall is NOT a success, Respawn LOSES nothing whereas both MS and EA lose millions of dollars. It's cliche and easy to hate on publishers but I don't see publishers going away for console releases that you can pick up at stores.

Kydd BlaZe

People really think Titanfall 2 is coming in 2015???

Isn't Respawn a small studio? Also, the only reason we're able to get yearly Call of Duty games is because two different studios have alternating 2 year cycles. We may not see a Titanfall 2 until 2016 if Respawn follows the normal 2 year cycle.

Sean*O

Next bit of breaking news will be Destiny exclusive to PS4 on next gen.Sony need some big moves like when they secured FF VII in the PS1 days.

It's time to kick them while they're down!

Seriously though.. it's hard to imagine that Respawn didn't have some sort of oversight clause in place where they would have to sign off on console exclusivity if that's what they were trying to avoid in the fisrt place. Sucks that it appears they were backstabbed.

That's the console business though.

Wille517

Neo Member
Respawn didn't go to MS, Sony, or Nintendo for an exclusivity deal. They went to EA, a third party publisher, for a multiplatform deal. EA's pulling the rug from under them because MS is looking to moneyhat an exclusive at the last minute because they have to save their trainwreck of a launch. If Respawn weren't getting screwed on this deal Vince wouldn't be lamenting it on twitter.
For me I wish Respawn would have done it them selves because you know goddamn well they aren't gonna see 5% of the cash dump truck that MS dropped at EA's front door for this one.

Top Bottom