• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

First time in a long time that a game gave me chills when it framed it's environments. Game is downright beautiful; I audibly gasped when I broke through that wall to discover that hidden temple in the beginning of the game.

Running this @ 1440p on my OC'd 970. All settings set to very high except for shadows (high). Other than a few moments where it dipped to 30fps, all is well! It will most likely tank in performance later on, but I'll deal with that later.

Image quality is so vastly superior to XB1, but that was to be expected.

Hurray for no input delay!

Those images are not impressive at all

/s

ike_

Ya really, whoever decided to put this much effort into textures, geometry, and color contrast probably deserves a promotion.

JNnL84g.jpg

Buburibon

Got my refund. Thank you, based steam.

That bad, eh? My brother-in-law just told me he refunded it too. He went in as hyped as he could've been after having enjoyed TR2013 immensely back when it first came out. I enjoyed the reboot quite a bit too, but I'm afraid my taste in games has changed just enough in the past couple of years that I won't be able to really enjoy this sequel. Anyway, it's pretty sad when that happens.

DocSeuss

That bad, eh? My brother-in-law just told me he refunded it too. He went in as hyped as he could've been after having enjoyed TR2013 immensely back when it first came out. I enjoyed the reboot quite a bit too, but I'm afraid my taste in games has changed just enough in the past couple of years that I won't be able to really enjoy this sequel. Anyway, it's pretty sad when that happens.

That's weird, because this is the best action game released during this generation so far. Story's not great, but the way the game constantly open ups and delivers some really cool tombs and stuff is just plain awesome. In terms of gameplay, it's superb.

Squishy3

What's the VRAM usage like on this? I'm sitting here with a 2GB 770 and only asking since I picked up AC Syndicate and just setting it to 1080p with texture detail on low put it 50MB over 2GB, and this looks a hell of a lot more impressive than it does.

JayB1920

How far are these players getting i wonder. Its a similar game but most of the problems with the reboot have been addressed.

jackdoe

What's the VRAM usage like on this? I'm sitting here with a 2GB 770 and only asking since I picked up Syndicate and just setting it to 1080p with texture detail on low put it 50MB over 2GB.
At 1440p using Very High texture settings, VRAM has to be over 4gb at times. I was getting dips to 20fps in certain sections that then jumped up to 44fps after switching to High texture settings.

Vuze

Game didn't click for me until I got to the first real camp and the first enemy encounters. I like the combat just as in TR2013 and the subtle crafting component is pretty neat too. But that's about 1h+ in I guess, so I can see why some might drop it.

Squishy3

At 1440p using Very High texture settings, VRAM has to be over 4gb at times. I was getting dips to 20fps in certain sections that then jumped up to 44fps after switching to High texture settings.
Yeah I was asking since in the grand scheme of things 50-100MB over won't affect anything too much (I was still getting a steady 60 FPS in AC Syndicate with a few drops down to the lower end of 50 depending on what was happening) but if it's hitting 3GB and above I'll probably have to pass on getting it on PC and buy it on Xbone. :/

Oh hm, DF says medium settings use 2GB. Would someone be willing to take some screenshots of it on medium settings?

Buburibon

That's weird, because this is the best action game released during this generation so far. Story's not great, but the way the game constantly open ups and delivers some really cool tombs and stuff is just plain awesome. In terms of gameplay, it's superb.

I hear you. I don't believe in refunds unless the game in question is downright broken, so I'll give it the fair shot it deserves. Then, (hopefully) I'll kindly let my brother-in-law know he pulled the trigger way too soon. ;-)

How far are these players getting i wonder. Its a similar game but most of the problems with the reboot have been addressed.

My brother-in-law says he played it for about 90 minutes before requesting a refund, and he loved the reboot, so I don't know what to think.

Grrr, it's not going to finish downloading until tomarrow morning.

Which means I can't play it until tomarrow night because I have to wait for it to get dark enough to use my projector.

Grrrr Microsoft. Why couldn't you gave preloading?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Refunding a game after the tutorial seems strange to me, but it's one's right to do that.

I really enjoy the action, I didn't came into the game expecting a well written novel so the story doesn't make me neither angry nor happy, it's just there as an excuse to play, like in any Tomb Raider game.

Stormus

I hear you. I don't believe in refunds unless the game in question is downright broken, so I'll give it the fair shot it deserves. Then, (hopefully) I'll kindly let my brother-in-law know he pulled the trigger way too soon. ;-)

My brother-in-law says he played it for about 90 minutes before requesting a refund, and he loved the reboot, so I don't know what to think.

This doesn't make sense. The game is very similar to the reboot, but expands and improves every system. Also playing a game for 90 minutes and quitting all together on it is reprehensible.

This doesn't make sense. The game is very similar to the reboot, but expands and improves every system. Also playing a game for 90 minutes and quitting all together on it is reprehensible.

Not really when you can't refund the game if you play past 2 hours. If I'm not feeling something before I hit that mark I go ahead and refund it. Blame Valve not the buyer.

TheYanger

As someone that has beaten the game twice, he didn't get past the tutorial, that's what you should think :)

Not too far to be honest. My biggest gripe with the reboot was the story and characters. I was having the same issue here. Was curious to see how the game performed on my rig, so I bought it. Played for an hour and felt like I'd rather go back to solving puzzles in the witness. Just not my cup of tea anymore. I'm still interested in Uncharted only because they at least attempt to make memorable characters and dialog. Otherwise, I'm pretty much burnt out on this entire genre of games :/

Story isnt' anything amazing, but you basicalyl didn't see any of it.

viveks86

Not too far to be honest. My biggest gripe with the reboot was the story and characters. I was having the same issue here. Was curious to see how the game performed on my rig, so I bought it. Played for an hour and felt like I'd rather go back to solving puzzles in the witness. Just not my cup of tea anymore. I'm still interested in Uncharted only because they at least attempt to make memorable characters and dialog. Otherwise, I'm pretty much burnt out on this entire genre of games :/

ISee

Yeah I was asking since in the grand scheme of things 50-100MB over won't affect anything too much (I was still getting a steady 60 FPS in AC Syndicate with a few drops down to the lower end of 50 depending on what was happening) but if it's hitting 3GB and above I'll probably have to pass on getting it on PC and buy it on Xbone. :/

Oh hm, DF says medium settings use 2GB. Would someone be willing to take some screenshots of it on medium settings?

1080p, medium preset, FXAA ~ 1800 mb VRAM

1080p, maxed out, SMAA ~ 4050 mb vram

If this game is an improvement over the prior one, it doesnt show itself in the first 2 levels IMO.

Terrible first level - climbing up and down ice walls with some hit x or die QTE crap.

Second level looks better, but nothing special. Given the rave reviews I guess you have to get further into the game. Its been disappointing for me thats for sure, I enjoyed the prior game DE and hoped they'd cut down the QTE stuff in particular.

these shots are winning me over in buying this, but would like to see more gameplay shots. The cutscenes look stunning, but wondering if gameplay matches it

Parsnip

So is it customary for PlayStationGaf to come and shit up PC OT's with their "not impressed visually, Order 1866 looks better" posts? Just asking, I don't visit OT's that often.

leng jai

Sad to see some people not enjoying the game. Really hope people give it a fair shot, it's one of the best games of 2015.

MUnited83

For you.
How do I progress here
in the Soviet part where you find a guy who gives you a quest? I'm supposed to climb a tower so I can zipline to the prison, but for that I need to open a door to get to the tower. However, I can't open the door. I suppose you need the lick pick ability from completing the "destroy the radio towers" quest, but I did that and returned where the guy that gave me the quest was, but he is nowhere to be seen...

viveks86

Story isnt' anything amazing, but you basicalyl didn't see any of it.

If I saw a good portion of it, then I can't refund it (and wouldn't feel ok doing so either). Not sure what you are getting at. That people should never feel like a game is not for them after playing for an hour?

Peff

How do I progress here
in the Soviet part where you find a guy who gives you a quest? I'm supposed to climb a tower so I can zipline to the prison, but for that I need to open a door to get to the tower. However, I can't open the door. I suppose you need the lick pick ability from completing the "destroy the radio towers" quest, but I did that and returned where the guy that gave me the quest was, but he is nowhere to be seen...

He should be inside the cabin to the left of where you first dropped off the zipline to this area.

If I saw a good portion of it, then I can't refund it (and wouldn't feel ok doing so either). Not sure what you are getting at. That people should never feel like a game is not for them after playing for an hour?

Honestly dude coming from someone who played and beat this game and loves it, if you didn't like TR2013 you won't like this one, you made the right choice.

viveks86

Yeah I think your brother-in-law and I are going through the same stage in gaming life. We've exhausted our "watch shit blow up or collapse all around you while you run for your life" quota :(

MUnited83

For you.
He should be inside the cabin to the left of where you first dropped off the zipline to this area.

If you mean the one that is immediately next to the part where he dropped off and it's the cabin that has a tree growing on the middle of it, no, he isn't there :(

Yeah I think your brother-in-law and I are going through the same stage in gaming life. We've exhausted our "watch shit blow up or collapse all around you while you run for your life" quota :(

Yeah, I feel similar as it is pretty hard to feel anything when that stuff is happening unless you are really invested in some characters and they honestly, could actually die (plot armour disallows that).

leng jai

There's actually far less of that in this game compared to TR2013. A lot of it has been replaced by exploration. It's on right at the beginning and the last 20% where the game is like what you're describing.

viveks86

Yeah, I feel similar as it is pretty hard to feel anything when that stuff is happening unless you are really invested in some characters and they honestly, could actually die (plot armour disallows that).

Honestly dude coming from someone who played and beat this game and loves it, if you didn't like TR2013 you won't like this one, you made the right choice.

Yeah I didn't mind the reboot. I did enjoy the gameplay back then (though I HATED the story and every single character). But something has changed in me since. It's not just games. Movies too. Anytime the action or violence goes over the top, but isn't stylized enough, I completely lose interest. I still love a good Tarantino flick, but I can't handle the likes of Live Free or Die Hard or Fast and the Furious. Instant turn offs!

Is GMG the cheapest place for this? While I absolutely disliked (heavily) TR2013, I do want to give my 980ti a workout.

It's not gotten much use since TW3. :(

Bizzquik

a full desktop game in the windows app store is exciting. a first for ms if not mistaken.

Wow, just looked it up. I didn't realize it was in the Windows 10 store.

Anyone on GAF bought it there? I'm wondering how well it plays versus the Steam version - hopefully no different.

Also, I'm wondering how well the gaming experience is incorporated into the Xbox app on the whole. Easy to talk to Xbox One/360 buddies in Party Chat?

I have a lot of Xbox One/360 friends, but I don't want to settle for 30fps. So I'm really curious how well the PC release integrates with the Xbox app.

hawk2025

I still don't understand why this game has quests, minor NPCs and a shop.

Like, it adds literally nothing to the game. The shop is pointless, the NPCs are useless, and the quests?

They are quite literally the exact same as the challenges in the first game, but with another pointless layer of talking to someone on top of it. And then the game also has the challenges, of course, but you don't need to talk to anyone to get those going.

Weird, checklist-based design to make the game sound more expansive than it really is.

Having now given Rise some more time to sink, I'm taking back partially what I said back in November. I don't think it's as good as TR2013, because they doubled down on some things that didn't work, improved others (thankfully), made zero improvements to the awful story, but ultimately nearly killed the fun combat scenarios.

Putting everything together, in hindsight I believe TR2013 is a better game.

Could someone help me out? I have an i7-5500u, GeForce 940M w/ 16gb RAM. I'm seeing that the medium preset only takes up 1800mb vram, but my FPS takes a huge hit. Anything I can do?

viveks86

There's actually far less of that in this game compared to TR2013. A lot of it has been replaced by exploration. It's on right at the beginning and the last 20% where the game is like what you're describing.

I wish they would make ALL of it exploration and puzzles. It's the heart and soul of Tomb Raider after all. Then I might actually get back to it. This gritty, bloody action block buster vibe with mediocre writing just isn't working for me anymore.

Anyway, I guess I'm done venting here. Didn't mean to distract the OT with negativity. See you all in another thread, folks!

RyudBoy

Just realized that I've been playing for hours without updating to the new nVidia driver. >.>

Wonder if it'll make a big difference. Performance has been pretty solid without it. Anyway, downloading it now.

Pif

Banned
So what's the consensus from the master race? Best graphics ever ? I mean technically, not art wise.

MUnited83

For you.
If you mean the one that is immediately next to the part where he dropped off and it's the cabin that has a tree growing on the middle of it, no, he isn't there :(

Solved, took two re-loadings of the level to make him spawn. And it seems I didn't need the lockpick at all to progress, but the QTE to open the door was missing and that was solved by the reload too.

Peff

Solved, took two re-loadings of the level to make him spawn. And it seems I didn't need the lockpick at all to progress, but the QTE to open the door was missing and that was solved by the reload too.

I was about to say, I didn't remember the lockpick being used in the main story at all. Nice that it sorted itself out, but hopefully it isn't a commonplace issue.

Top Bottom