• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

KingBroly

Banned
So...just beat it. Story was insanely bad.

The Observatory was by far the toughest platforming challenge in the game, and even that wasn't much. I would like more of that in the game, but I guess casuals hate the not-so-challenge but looks daunting shit. The last...3 hours of the game or so were just straight lifted from the previous game. Wave after wave of combat really highlights the poor pacing at the end, especially when you have so many Base Camps right next to each other.

Decent game...but man, it just would.not.end. I was done with the game 4 hours before it ended and it just kept going.

7/10

The game looks amazing, but they REALLY need to learn how to pace their games better.

Vuze

Yeah, I'm nearing the end as well now (past the Lost City "hub" where you had to open the door) and ugh... the pleasant combat pacing from the beginning has been totally lost in the past two hours, just enemy wave after enemy wave. Hell, they are even roaming around in the last hub and I couldn't use the camp and inspect stuff until I killed them all! mrgr

All in all I enjoyed the game though, I couldn't pick which of the reboot games I'd prefer though. Story is crap in both, but I liked the tombs in Rise better, wish they'd have been larger or a bit more complex, especially since they are optional anyway.

Approaching the last area I think. I like it more than the last game in terms of pacing and think the mix of hub areas and more linear set pieces is something I would like to see more of.

Still, the bits of this that I like are done so much better in older TR games that it just makes me want to replay them instead. Beautiful game though, the visuals are really impressive.

Arklite

So I guess Lara never shivers anymore after the main story ends(?), and it subtly changes her demeanor. Her shivering was convincing enough to make me avoid her jacket-less outfits the whole game, but now she's standing snow covered at night in a thin sweat shirt, stoic like the Brawny man.

So I guess Lara never shivers anymore after the main story ends(?), and it subtly changes her demeanor. Her shivering was convincing enough to make me avoid her jacket-less outfits the whole game, but now she's standing snow covered at night in a thin sweat shirt, stoic like the Brawny man.
That sounds like a bug tbh :p

dlauv

Combat is so cluelessly made. You can chew a heal and maul through hordes of armored enemies like nothing due to the invincibility perks. If it wasn't for enemy feedback and the shotgun just being pleasant, I'd say the combat was worse than Uncharted.

I have no idea why they butchered what they had in TR13. Some of the weapon executions are pretty great. I don't know why they needed a separate perk each. No, wait, of course I know why: fluff.

Exploration is good and fine, but the rewards don't really feel meaningful enough outside of new abilities.

Way too much fluff.

Lara looks like a hyper-animated bobblehead in cutscenes.

I mean, it's good tho. In terms of exploration and platforming, it's clearly the best and most thoughtful effort AAA has has given outside of open world.

In terms of combat gameplay TR 2013 is much better but that was the only good thing about it, the story was banal to me. While the areas weren't huge overall, plenty of the combat areas were, I had great enjoyment with the bow taking out enemies in the woods and on the ship etc. In Rise we have larger environments but it's mainly for wandering, nearly all the battles take place in really confined spaces, they feel like piece meal battles and barely register.

As an older fan of Tomb Raider, I'm not really wanting a combat game but I took TR 2013 for what it was, fun gameplay. In Rise, the combat is meh, the good tombs and puzzles are limited, they don't satisfy the explorer raider, story is again pretty banal but slightly more engaging. Imagine the Cistern part x20 with some TR 2013 survival combat with Lara the gymnast and some exotic location and you've got a good game. Here it's a bit of this bit of that all neatly laid out for you, like a bite size buffet

SomTervo

The thing which is saving it for me is the level design.

This is the first time I've felt that child-like sense of wonder and joy of exploration since Jak & Daxter: The Precursor's Legacy. The environments are just lovely to look at and run about in, and they have a fantastic degree of verticality and depth and 'sandboxeyness'. It helps that traversal feels slightly less floaty than TR2013 and she has some nice new moves, like the tree climbing stuff.

Also, the new approach to Tombs and Caves is fucking brilliant. Each area I find at least a couple of well hidden and well designed Tombs or Caves. Some of them are very well hidden. (Some not so much, but still cool af to find.) If you put on Lara's classic blue shirt, it feels right up there with Tomb Raider Anniversary and Legacy, too - it's weird how much difference a simple skin-change makes.

Combat seems OK to me so far. I've only encountered a couple of bigger fights, but I like how streamlined it is, and I like how the arenas have more moving parts (some environmental triggers and more explosives etc lying around). Stealth is also still totally viable, which is a big deal for me.

If they've downgraded the hand-to-hand combat, though... That's really disappointing. I've not used enough of it yet.

Edit: anybody playing the game on the hardest difficulty? Looks really appealing to me and might make the combat feel more "survival-focused", which people ITT seem to want.

I wish I had a better PC

Game doesn't look any better than on xbone with my 960

I'm on a 960, i5 4690k and 16GB RAM.

Game looks great and runs great. I'm confident it looks better than XBO.

neonille

i5 4670k
Gtx 680
16gb RAM

FXAA and everything maxed except the texture quality that's on medium otherwise the cutscenes lags like a toaster trying to run crysis.

Edit: anybody playing the game on the hardest difficulty? Looks really appealing to me and might make the combat feel more "survival-focused", which people ITT seem to want.

You get way more supplies than you'll ever need so it's trivial. Also the bonuses you get from tombs go a ways to nullifying the modifiers that characterize that difficulty. As is you'll always have full health, ammo and special arrows aplenty.

Fishook

The tomb bits are the best bits of the game, shame they aren't longer and more complicated, but its geared up towards the modern gamer with useless RPG elements,

The combat is geared towards shooting humans rather than animals, I do miss the older titles, rather than just another TPS, I do like the game,but they are just trying to do a open world game with loads of collectables and filler, rather than well made level based games.

I just think some of the reboots should go back to their roots, rather than copy and paste ideas from every other games, gaming is starting to become stale.

TheYanger

Lara holds the long jump world record and has the fingers tips of the incredible hulk. The problem with the set pieces is that there are no stakes. They play out the same almost every time too (hold forward and jump sometimes). Very linear, some have zip lines incorporated but at the end of the day there's little variation. How about if you actually had to figure out and orchestrate your amazing escape? When it comes to those sceneries the designers have absolutely no faith in their audience. There's no, "oh shit! How am I supposed to get out of this?"

Also, keep them to like 5 tops per game. I swear the intro is a non stop shit breaking sequence.

That's...blatantly false in rise though. Literally every 'chase' setpiece uses every platforming/exploring mechanic you've learned until that point, and they keep building throughout the game. Are they hard? not really, but the notion that it's up and sometimes hitting jump makes it sound like you didn't even play the game.

That's...blatantly false in rise though. Literally every 'chase' setpiece uses every platforming/exploring mechanic you've learned until that point, and they keep building throughout the game. Are they hard? not really, but the notion that it's up and sometimes hitting jump makes it sound like you didn't even play the game.

So I read wikis and watched streams to convincingly make it appear I played the game? Having posted multiple times in the thread. Sure buddy.

The escape scenes range from literally hold forward to at their pinnacle requiring the rope axe or zip lines intermittently. I'm not including the ones that require climbing because there are a good dozen plus of the archetype I mentioned. The set pieces are very much scenic jaunts that demand little thought or build any tension and that's because you're never at a loss. Do you ever go backward? Do you ever go sideways? Are you ever given multiple paths?

So you're just going forward right? Sometimes grabbing or climbing shit. They're very similar exercises each and every time. The only variation being the different scenery you're blaring through. You do the exact same kind of climbing and grabbing when shit isn't collapsing around you. Where's the urgency? There's no thrill to the sequences in this game because they're formulaic as shit.

DeadEndThrills man....

guardianoflightalt.png
immolation.png

Nice use of lighting in order to make Lara look like the murdering psychopath she is.

So I read wikis and watched streams to convincingly make it appear I played the game? Having posted multiple times in the thread. Sure buddy.

The escape scenes range from literally hold forward to at their pinnacle requiring the rope axe or zip lines intermittently. I'm not including the ones that require climbing because there are a good dozen plus of the archetype I mentioned. The set pieces are very much scenic jaunts that demand little thought or build any tension and that's because you're never at a loss. Do you ever go backward? Do you ever go sideways? Are you ever given multiple paths?

So you're just going forward right? Sometimes grabbing or climbing shit. They're very similar exercises each and every time. The only variation being the different scenery you're blaring through. You do the exact same kind of climbing and grabbing when shit isn't collapsing around you. Where's the urgency? There's no thrill to the sequences in this game because they're formulaic as shit.

Kind of nitpicking a bit? I'm around 14 hrs played so far and the setpieces are very short and are a very small part of the game.

Filben

Sorry Crystal D, this is still your best Croft game...
A shame they only ported the PS2 version to PC and not the remastered PS3 version. But then again hard to compare due to different approaches. I just take it as it is [the new TR]. As a reboot. With a different approach.

SomTervo

You get way more supplies than you'll ever need so it's trivial. Also the bonuses you get from tombs go a ways to nullifying the modifiers that characterize that difficulty. As is you'll always have full health, ammo and special arrows aplenty.

Such a pity.

I played more of the combat night and the game's pretty dang good, imo.

It would probably have been better if it was globetrotting instead of one location. The prospect of the entire thing being in Siberia really doesn't fill me with joy.

Such a pity.

I played more of the combat night and the game's pretty dang good, imo.

It would probably have been better if it was globetrotting instead of one location. The prospect of the entire thing being in Siberia really doesn't fill me with joy.

There's a fair bit of variation despite holding to one region for most of the game. Going from Syria to that Soviet encampment zone did feel like a step backwards. Everything beyond that was cool and the tombs all looked markedly different.

Kind of nitpicking a bit? I'm around 14 hrs played so far and the setpieces are very short and are a very small part of the game.

I mean yeah but that is what they are for the most part. In the future I hope Crystal reigns them in and goes for really big marquee set pieces if they still wanna go that route. Hate to have to mention the Uncharted series but after the first game ND focused more attention to bigger more memorable moments like the toppling building or the sinking ship for example. That only one I can recall from this series is that crazy ship setpiece from the previous game. Nothing really hits here. Just a bunch of art assets flashing past my screen.

burgerdog

Dammit, I learned the magma shotgun bullets talent and now Lara has a stupid ammo belt around her ruining all the outfits.

edit
^^^
No.

TheYanger

This is akin to saying Mario is just going right and sometimes hitting A.
The camera turns, you do go left and right, if the camera didn't turn you would do it yourself and be annoyed, so the camera following you appropriately is mostly a concession to keeping it moving quickly. That's the only difference between going any other direction in the first place. So...ye,s you do in fact run and 'do things' - every platforming related thing in the game. Crazy. The game doesn't automatically grab walls, climb walls, use grapples, jump, scramble, turn your character, shimmy, use broadhead arrows, any of it. So if you want to be reductive you're doing a good job of proving yourself completely ignorant on the matter. I'll just be playing some other games now, where all I do is move the stick where I want to go and sometimes press buttons, they just fucking play themselves :(

This is akin to saying Mario is just going right and sometimes hitting A.
The camera turns, you do go left and right, if the camera didn't turn you would do it yourself and be annoyed, so the camera following you appropriately is mostly a concession to keeping it moving quickly. That's the only difference between going any other direction in the first place. So...ye,s you do in fact run and 'do things' - every platforming related thing in the game. Crazy. The game doesn't automatically grab walls, climb walls, use grapples, jump, scramble, turn your character, shimmy, use broadhead arrows, any of it. So if you want to be reductive you're doing a good job of proving yourself completely ignorant on the matter. I'll just be playing some other games now, where all I do is move the stick where I want to go and sometimes press buttons, they just fucking play themselves :(

How many of those instances of those involve the broadheads? On the run, I can't recall any. Are you denying that they're not intentionally reductive for the purpose of spectacle? Before you get the grapple you don't even have that in the mix for those and that's not for a good 10h iirc. You don't deny that they move in straight line. Of course the camera is on your back moving you forward, right? From the jump I don't like that, I don't care for those scenes. I'd be fine with them if they didn't happen so damn often. If that all seems dynamic and engaging to you, that's cool. The game (as a complete package) has an audience, I think those parts are the worst but that's just me.

Odd that you'd bring up Mario that has a great deal of nuance to both it's movement and jumping. That's definitely not what's going on here. I can see what you're saying but for something without any real mechanical complexity to put blinders on you and say go this way is just a bit much for me. You say climb, shimmy. Can you fuck up either of those? Once you get on the wall that's it really, then you move up. If you're shimmying Lara hangs on indefinitely. The wall grab I can see, climbing, that's just forward to me. Alternate paths or dead ends could jazz it up but neither of those are ever really employed.

As far as the jumping goes I could see those scenes being a lot more exciting if the jumps had specific lengths and didn't auto-correct like the older games. That way making jumps with the clock against you could actually be nerve-wracking. Unless I was being bull-headed testing the limits of what the game would and wouldn't allow me to do, I never really wondered whether or not I could make a jump. That's kinda disappointing to me.

You say tomatoe I say tomato. Those scenes feel like glorified QTEs to me, they don't to you. No hard feelings.

TheYanger

How many of those instances of those involve the broadheads? On the run, I can't recall any. Are you denying that they're not intentionally reductive for the purpose of spectacle? Before you get the grapple you don't even have that in the mix for those and that's not for a good 10h iirc. You don't deny that they move in straight line. Of course the camera is on your back moving you forward, right? From the jump I don't like that, I don't care for those scenes. I'd be fine with them if they didn't happen so damn often. If that all seems dynamic and engaging to you, that's cool. The game (as a complete package) has an audience, I think those parts are the worst but that's just me.

Odd that you'd bring up Mario that has a great deal of nuance to both it's movement and jumping. That's definitely not what's going on here. I can see what you're saying but for something without any real mechanical complexity to put blinders on you and say go this way is just a bit much for me. You say climb, shimmy. Can you fuck up either of those? Once you get on the wall that's it really, then you move up. If you're shimmying Lara hangs on indefinitely. The wall grab I can see, climbing, that's just forward to me. Alternate paths or dead ends could jazz it up but neither of those are ever really employed.

As far as the jumping goes I could see those scenes being a lot more exciting if the jumps had specific lengths and didn't auto-correct like the older games. That way making jumps with the clock against you could actually be nerve-wracking. Unless I was being bull-headed testing the limits of what the game would and wouldn't allow me to do, I never really wondered whether or not I could make a jump. That's kinda disappointing to me.

You say tomatoe I say tomato. Those scenes feel like glorified QTEs to me, they don't to you. No hard feelings.

The only long action scene that occurs after you get broadhead arrows includes them. Right near the end of the game.

You're saying you can't fuck those things up, but you absolutely can. They're not hard, but they're not automatic, if you're not paying attention to what is coming at you you can absolutely just miss them, which is the point. Those sequences demonstrate that you're learning what the abilities are and to recognize when you need to use them, the fact that they seem natural to you means the game did its job and you learned when to press X, when to press Y, when to Jump, when to wall-scramble, when to use rope arrows, etc. They're visually interesting culminations of what you've learned to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPCDpqW8hIo
My own video from near the launch, broadhead arrows like 2 minutes in and again at like 2:45

And no, no hard feelings, but you're actually flat out wrong in what you're saying, so no opinion is necessary. If all I did was press up and jump from time to time, she would've literally either fallen into a pit or stared into a wall the instant that bit started. Oh, now that I rewatch to confirm, it uses broadheads RIGHT at the beginning too, good job game. Take any sequence like that in the game, you'd fall into a pit and die at any point if you tried to do what you're describing.

The only long action scene that occurs after you get broadhead arrows includes them. Right near the end of the game.

You're saying you can't fuck those things up, but you absolutely can. They're not hard, but they're not automatic, if you're not paying attention to what is coming at you you can absolutely just miss them, which is the point. Those sequences demonstrate that you're learning what the abilities are and to recognize when you need to use them, the fact that they seem natural to you means the game did its job and you learned when to press X, when to press Y, when to Jump, when to wall-scramble, when to use rope arrows, etc. They're visually interesting culminations of what you've learned to that point.

My own video from near the launch, broadhead arrows like 2 minutes in and again at like 2:45

And no, no hard feelings, but you're actually flat out wrong in what you're saying, so no opinion is necessary. If all I did was press up and jump from time to time, she would've literally either fallen into a pit or stared into a wall the instant that bit started. Oh, now that I rewatch to confirm, it uses broadheads RIGHT at the beginning too, good job game. Take any sequence like that in the game, you'd fall into a pit and die at any point if you tried to do what you're describing.

Having watched your video I think what you're addressing is the game for the most part outside of the hub areas. Just to be clear I thought the final sequence was pretty cool. Also seeing as you could stop momentarily I didn't feel it was a set piece so much despite stuff exploding everywhere. I'm talking more like the opening, the escape from the Syrian temple etc. Unless I'm off my rocker there were quite a few scenarios like that. Pretty much scrolling screen stages if we're going for a 2D analog. Before you get the neat tools you're left with something a lot more dull. It's like the game is doing these pop quizes and and all it's taught you so far is addition. At it's peak you get addition, subtraction, multiplication whatever. Stuff you know but at least it's a bit more mentally stimulating. The flavour (which is much needed) comes from the tools but you don't get the tools for a while. In addition how they're applied is pretty straightforward in most cases. With the broadheads you have some flexibility to set up but it never gets to the point where you need lateral to use thinking which is a shame, I feel.

I'll concede that the game requires you to use multiple buttons eventually but it isn't always like and when the game really puts the camera to your back it magnifies the linearity and simplicity of it. All Mario does is jump but its the world that's complicated. How many hazards have Nintendo dreamed up over the years? In Sunshine he didn't even need the FLUDD to really round it out, the best parts of the game didn't even have it. Here when ice you press X. When you see a painted wall you gotta jump again. That's cool and all if you need some precision to execute but you don't really. Just as a base game there's not much going on. How are the gadgets and guns gonna make the platforming more noteworthy. Make me collect myself before I commit to a jump. You never have to. I'll be honest, I have a slightly higher expectation of the platforming aspect than Uncharted. This is Tomb Raider. I'm not expecting anything crazy but damn.

I suppose that's where it all comes from. I probably won't pick up the sequel.

Looks like I'm in the minority here but I love this game! Very worthy follow up to 2013 Tomb Raider. I have this on xbone and loved it so much I double dipped on PC. Amazing from start to finish. Wasn't bored once. Loved all areas I explored and will now 100% this bad boy on PC. It was my 2015 game of the year by a fair stretch.

TitusTroy

this is a stunningly beautiful game...the textures on cloth, rocks, the ground, ice etc look gorgeous at times...the particle effects are also amazing...

Vuze

I think I'm done with the game for now, after about 20 hours. I finished the story mode earlier today and completed some halfway-through achievements afterwards to try out the replay mode which is pretty nice. Guess I'll grab the season pass for 5-10$ whenever it hits that spot, I got my fill of the formula for now. Quick recap of my impressions:

Good:
  • Overall gameplay mechanics and balancing. Combat felt slightly less enticing than in TR2013 despite some very nice skill additions. Climbing on the other hand felt more fluent and less glitchy to me. Apart from the last third of the game, I also enjoyed the combat/exploration ratio.
  • Graphics. Especially the cutscenes looked phenomenal. Also thank goodness they got rid of the abysmal green filter from the previous game *yuck*
  • Variety of settings. Desert caves, snowy areas, lush woods, abandoned constructions...
Mediocre:
  • Story. I'm usually not a sucker for the story of games as long as I enjoy the gameplay so I didn't mind it that much unlike a lot of other players (who are probably more involved with the Tomb Raider universe than me). The after-credits cutscene was weird as well, I guess it pretty much confirms CD already signed a deal for a sequel?
  • Tombs. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all the tombs but in addition to the nice visual presentation and scale I'd like to have more complex puzzles to solve - especially since all tombs are optional, I doubt they'll scare of their new target audience which wants a "cinematic TPS experience" if they ramp up the difficulty in this area a bit.
  • Skill system. Most skills are useless and don't add anything to the gameplay. In my opinion they should heavily turn down this aspect and in conjunction the whole collect-a-thon-EXP-gathering.
Bad:
  • Collectibles. While I enjoyed traversing and exploring the bigger hubs of the game world, the collectibles felt useless (caches and coins), too generic (relics) or were simply too much to stomach after a while despite the effort that has been put into them (documents). I think turning down the amount of collectibles would considerably enhance the "Tomb Raider" aspect of the game, say, when you find meaningful relics with their own story which are meticulously hidden in the game world instead of being dropped around every corner.
  • Side-quests. Meaningless padding.

Setsuna

Need help in getting a document: It's at a high area in the Greek Fire Depot, how do I reach it?

You could be talking about the
one where you have to enter from one of the other areas
, or the one where you have to
go through the crack underneath the mural

Welp, game over. I liked the previous game better. The tombs weren't much better. The geothermal valley and soviet installation appealed to me less than the island. The combat was marginally better but the pacing was significantly worse. Writing in the first was hilariously bad but at least it was funny. The characters in this were bland just like the game as whole.

I really hope the next sequel comes with some significant additions or changes.

I'm not done with the game yet but I feel the same. I'm probably half way through and don't really understand what is so special about this game

jelly

Ha, just noticed you don't have to shoot climbing arrows. I missed that option on my playthrough. I always shot them.

Mindman

This is the first time I've felt that child-like sense of wonder and joy of exploration since Jak & Daxter: The Precursor's Legacy. The environments are just lovely to look at and run about in, and they have a fantastic degree of verticality and depth and 'sandboxeyness'. It helps that traversal feels slightly less floaty than TR2013 and she has some nice new moves, like the tree climbing stuff.

Also, the new approach to Tombs and Caves is fucking brilliant. Each area I find at least a couple of well hidden and well designed Tombs or Caves. Some of them are very well hidden. (Some not so much, but still cool af to find.) If you put on Lara's classic blue shirt, it feels right up there with Tomb Raider Anniversary and Legacy, too - it's weird how much difference a simple skin-change makes.

Combat seems OK to me so far. I've only encountered a couple of bigger fights, but I like how streamlined it is, and I like how the arenas have more moving parts (some environmental triggers and more explosives etc lying around). Stealth is also still totally viable, which is a big deal for me.

If they've downgraded the hand-to-hand combat, though... That's really disappointing. I've not used enough of it yet.

Agreed. Just a few less collectables, more tombs for the main story, and slightly better combat and we have a new Tomb Raider that should make both camps happy.

JayB1920

Agreed. Just a few less collectables, more tombs for the main story, and slightly better combat and we have a new Tomb Raider that should make both camps happy.

Pretty much. Get rid of the survival/coin/gps caches. There are enough resources to collect in the environment and coins are useless. Keep them in tombs only or something as a reward. If they want to keep the translation/monoliths have it lead to hidden secret areas not just a spot to dig coins. Missions should either be in depth or elimated. Optional tombs should be larger and more difficult. Main story should focus on areas like the prophets tomb, abandoned mines, and flooded archives while expanding on the nested puzzles.

Pretty much. Get rid of the survival/coin/gps caches. There are enough resources to collect in the environment and coins are useless. Keep them in tombs only or something as a reward. If they want to keep the translation/monoliths have it lead to hidden secret areas not just a spot to dig coins. Missions should either be in depth or elimated. Optional tombs should be larger and more difficult. Main story should focus on areas like the prophets tomb, abandoned mines, and flooded archives while expanding on the nested puzzles.

Only tombs and less human enemies and I would be happy.
But something tells me this won't happen.
I agree the Tombs should be way harder and also bigger. Also isolation should be a thing again like in the Core Design games.

Sanctuary

Really enjoying this game so far (for what it is anyway), but I can only laugh, each time Lara falls from 30 - 40 feet and lands directly on her arm. The developers claimed to have wanted to make her appear to be "vulnerable" in the previous game, but the sequences make her anything but from a physical standpoint. She's more of a terminator than a human, with all of the massive falls she takes, that she simply shrugs off aside from needing to smear some berries to close a wound or some shit. No human could exert themselves the way she does, or endure the kind of punishment she does and keep on going like the Energizer bunny.

I know it's just a videogame, but that's also how I'll view the character; a videogame character, who isn't relatable at all.

Top Bottom