• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

Setsuna

Finally %100 the game and my opinions are the same as the last game.

1.Game needs more combat encounters, especially after you beat the game. I beat the game after 25 hours. 10 hours later ive only been involved in 15 encounters that last like 10 seconds
2. The sectioned off areas are a real bitch when backtracking

also WHY THE FUCK would they give you a
Shotgun after completing everything in the game
THAT YOU CANT FUCKING USE ON ANYTHING

JayB1920

Only tombs and less human enemies and I would be happy.
But something tells me this won't happen.
I agree the Tombs should be way harder and also bigger. Also isolation should be a thing again like in the Core Design games.

Id b happy wtih this too. The abandoned mines and flooded archives would have been better without the human enemies. It is fine having some combat before reaching the area but once inside I want to feel the sense of isolation. The time spent and puzzles there were too brief as well. I want nested puzzles like in St Francis Folly, Mexico, or Sanctuary of the Scion.

Id b happy wtih this too. The abandoned mines and flooded archives would have been better without the human enemies. It is fine having some combat before reaching the area but once inside I want to feel the sense of isolation. The time spent and puzzles there were too brief as well. I want nested puzzles like in St Francis Folly, Mexico, or Sanctuary of the Scion.

Yeah, exactly, the enemy placement in the old TR games were better placed than they are in RoTTR. Combat is fine, but it is pretty unbalanced in RoTTR.
I miss all those locations too. I hope that they will use Greece or Egypt for the next TR, or even Italy these would be interesting.
But something tells me, CD will keep the formula for the other TR games, the thing where nearby tombs are found is pretty ridiculous, tombs should be hidden and you should find them yourself, but oh well.

Just finished it 100% on Survivor. I really enjoyed the exploration of the environments and Tombs (especially), but I really wish they would back away from the combat. TR doesn't need so much combat, especially when the game allows you to essentially cheat the combat later on with ridiculous invincibility and insta-headshot abilities. Please stop, CD. Focus on the exploration - combat was NEVER TR's strong suit, and it doesn't need to be.

I do appreciate the big cat attacks, though. Classic TR. :)

Sanctuary

Just finished it 100% on Survivor. I really enjoyed the exploration of the environments and Tombs (especially), but I really wish they would back away from the combat. TR doesn't need so much combat, especially when the game allows you to essentially cheat the combat later on with ridiculous invincibility and insta-headshot abilities. Please stop, CD. Focus on the exploration - combat was NEVER TR's strong suit, and it doesn't need to be.

I do appreciate the big cat attacks, though. Classic TR. :)

Unfortunately, the reboot wouldn't sell as well if it was more classic TR and less Uncharted.

While everyone in this game has great character models and faces, I'm having a hell of a time determining how old anyone's supposed to be. I figured Anna was just Lara's friend from university or something, yet she's apparently old enough to have been in a relationship with Lara's dad. Later they introduce Sofia, who I thought was Lara's age, then Jacob, who I figured would be Lara's love interest, then they drop the bombshell that
Jacob is Sofia's dad!?
I've been repeatedly taken aback by age-related revelations; someone tell Crystal Dynamics' artists to throw some wrinkles on people or something :p

Sanctuary

While everyone in this game has great character models and faces, I'm having a hell of a time determining how old anyone's supposed to be. I figured Anna was just Lara's friend from university or something, yet she's apparently old enough to have been in a relationship with Lara's dad.

Really? I thought Lara was supposed to be no older than 25 or so in this, and Anna looked at least mid 40s to me...

What's the trick to getting the hattiwatt1 freecam working? I extract files to game folder and run injector. ROTTR.dll is selected and enabled. Do I need to do anything else? Pressing Insert in game does nothing.

Harlequin

What's the trick to getting the hattiwatt1 freecam working? I extract files to game folder and run injector. ROTTR.dll is selected and enabled. Do I need to do anything else? Pressing Insert in game does nothing.

I think someone else in the thread mentioned that it stopped working for them after installing the new patch, so perhaps rolling back to the old build will solve it.

leng jai

While everyone in this game has great character models and faces, I'm having a hell of a time determining how old anyone's supposed to be. I figured Anna was just Lara's friend from university or something, yet she's apparently old enough to have been in a relationship with Lara's dad. Later they introduce Sofia, who I thought was Lara's age, then Jacob, who I figured would be Lara's love interest, then they drop the bombshell that
Jacob is Sofia's dad!?
I've been repeatedly taken aback by age-related revelations; someone tell Crystal Dynamics' artists to throw some wrinkles on people or something :p

You're just bad at judging age I think. Anna looks 40+ quite easily.

The trick MIGHT be making sure you have the latest version of his freecam tool.

https://twitter.com/Hattiwatt1/status/695719521932464129

And another thing might be simply making sure that you are launching the tool as an administrator. And in my experience, the tool does not have to be extracted into the game folder, so maybe just try making it its own directory and try it like that.

Here's the steps I use and it works every time.

1. Right-click - Run as administrator the freecam tool
2. Start Rise of the Tomb Raider and let the launcher come up (don't press play yet)
3. Go back to the tool and add the process ROTTR.exe
4. Add ROTTR.dll from the tool directory and make sure it's enabled
5. Then press Inject
6. The command prompt box should pop up and then press PLAY

The game should load and you can test if it's working right away on the main menu by pressing INSERT.

After that you wont have to add or enable anything in the tool again. You should just be able to launch it in administrator mode and then launch the game and it should work.

I hope it helps.

The trick MIGHT be making sure you have the latest version of his freecam tool.

https://twitter.com/Hattiwatt1/status/695719521932464129

And another thing might be simply making sure that you are launching the tool as an administrator. And in my experience, the tool does not have to be extracted into the game folder, so maybe just try making it its own directory and try it like that.

Here's the steps I use and it works every time.

1. Right-click - Run as administrator the freecam tool
2. Start Rise of the Tomb Raider and let the launcher come up (don't press play yet)
3. Go back to the tool and add the process ROTTR.exe
4. Add ROTTR.dll from the tool directory and make sure it's enabled
5. Then press Inject
6. The command prompt box should pop up and then press PLAY

The game should load and you can test if it's working right away on the main menu by pressing INSERT.

After that you wont have to add or enable anything in the tool again. You should just be able to launch it in administrator mode and then launch the game and it should work.

I hope it helps.

Thanks. After I select process and hit Inject nothing happens. Program looks like this:

jio85o7i.jpg

Lanf

Could someone tell me what outfit this is? Credit to deadendthrills for the beautiful shot, as always.

It looks like siberian ranger, but with a cap.

I just got to that part. That was definitely disappointing.

The game would definitely fair better with smaller more focused areas and simply more of them.

Of course, if they went back to 1 or 2 single huge Tombs with tons of puzzles and contraptions, and great action, I wouldn't mind...lol

Ah :( Too bad, wanted to play as badass infiltrator Lara. Thx for the info though!

I'm sure we'll get it soon enough.

Dommel

Just finished the main story at about 75% complete. Took my time with optional tombs and the collect-a-thon.

Amazing looking game, fun for the most part but whoever decided on the 'grand finale' of the game should be quartered and fired.

And I agree with the other posts, this would be so much more enjoyable if they focused more on the tombs and less on michael bay style action sequences and useless enemy encounters.

Just finished the main story at about 75% complete. Took my time with optional tombs and the collect-a-thon.

Amazing looking game, fun for the most part but whoever decided on the 'grand finale' of the game should be quartered and fired.

And I agree with the other posts, this would be so much more enjoyable if they focused more on the tombs and less on michael bay style action sequences and useless enemy encounters.

I've been thinking, imagine a Tomb Raider game where there wasn't another army of people racing Lara to the finish line?

What if it was just a game about....raiding tombs? And the only enemies were animals and maybe something supernatural?

Would people play that type of game?

Keits

Developer
4 hours of play and two total crashes so far. On an i7 4790k with a GTX 970 and 16g ram.

:('

First few hours ran amazing. The next section is hitching and stuttering when I turn very often.

I've been thinking, imagine a Tomb Raider game where there wasn't another army of people racing Lara to the finish line?

What if it was just a game about....raiding tombs? And the only enemies were animals and maybe something supernatural?

Would people play that type of game?
Isn't that the plot of both movies and most of the games tho

Harlequin

Agreed. Just a few less collectables, more tombs for the main story, and slightly better combat and we have a new Tomb Raider that should make both camps happy.

It'd also need less automated controls, more platforming and better/more challenging platforming, harder and longer puzzles, a better story, better voice acting,...

If you're just referring to the bolded part, perhaps, but if you look at bananafactory's whole post, then not really, no. All the games and both movies have got human villains.

Kezen

Banned
4 hours of play and two total crashes so far. On an i7 4790k with a GTX 970 and 16g ram.

:('

First few hours ran amazing. The next section is hitching and stuttering when I turn very often.

Very high textures require more than what your 970 can handle so drop it to high and it should be much better.

Yeah I noticed that too. The game looks insanely good at times but other times.....you can definitely see it was also on X360
Yeah, whenever you hear "cross-gen", rest assured that a ceiling has been put in place on a game's graphical potential and you are essentially getting an HD version of a last gen game.

LostDonkey

Very high textures require more than what your 970 can handle so drop it to high and it should be much better.

Not really true. I play with an 3570k @4.5 970 16gb ddr3 machine and cap it to 30fps, everything cranked up and it never skips a beat.

It all depends on what framerate you are willing to settle on.

Yeah, just think it would be interesting if they tried something different, since the combat is the least fun part of the game IMO. But I get that most people probably want to shoot stuff.

Yeah, whenever you hear "cross-gen", rest assured that a ceiling has been put in place on a game's graphical potential and you are essentially getting an HD version of a last gen game.

Yup, but surely the next game will be current gen only, so I'm really excited to see what CD can do without being held back.

Arklite

Been slowly checking out and dying through the DLC Endurance mode. Deteriorating hunger and warmth meters keep the pressure on hunting, crafting, and scavenging, making much better use of the game's resource gathering and survival aspects. Cold subsides in caves or indoor ruins, but hunger persists. This can make runs for items/relics tense as you try to hurry through very dark caves, sometimes full of traps, drops or climbs.

The map is large and dense with trees. Playing without instinct vision or map can make you feel extra lost. If you're a fan of the game's core gameplay this mode seems to focus squarely on it, even emphasizing its lesser used aspects.

Harlequin

How do you jump off from hanging from rope arrows? Only button I can find that does anything is C, which drops me.

What do you mean by hanging rope arrows? Do you mean ziplines? You can't jump off those AFAIK, only drop (you can steer Lara while she's jumping/falling, though, so if the spot you want to go to is close to the zipline, you could try dropping and then moving the stick in the direction you want to go while Lara's falling). If you mean the swing ropes that you have to shoot with your bow, Lara will jump off those automatically once she's done swinging, you don't need to do anything (terrible mechanic, BTW). If you mean the climbing arrows, you can just jump off those normally using the jump button.

Vuze

How do you jump off from hanging from rope arrows? Only button I can find that does anything is C, which drops me.
I don't know for keyboard, but on controller it's the same button as for regular jumps (A), would be weird if they assigned a different key for KBM :eek:

What sums up the game for me is Catacomb of Sacred Waters.

Upon entering I got really excited, quite an large expansive feel, I thought fuck yes, dis gun be good, finally. I get across by using the rope on the boats, walk up some stairs and I get a message saying you've completed this area when I thought I'd only just begun.

cyba89

I just arrived at
the enemy base after you activate the Atlas key and Jonah gets kidnapped
. It's a bit ridiculus how Terminator-like Lara becomes in the late-game. I can just melee kill through all the enemies despite five bad guys shooting at me. The bow with it's special shots is also really overpowered when upgraded. One poison arrow and big groups of enemies are going down.

What do you mean by hanging rope arrows? Do you mean ziplines? You can't jump off those AFAIK, only drop (you can steer Lara while she's jumping/falling, though, so if the spot you want to go to is close to the zipline, you could try dropping and then moving the stick in the direction you want to go while Lara's falling). If you mean the swing ropes that you have to shoot with your bow, Lara will jump off those automatically once she's done swinging, you don't need to do anything (terrible mechanic, BTW). If you mean the climbing arrows, you can just jump off those normally using the jump button.
Ziplines, yeah. When you're climbing up them instead of ziplining down.
I ask because I'm at one that looks like I can jump off onto a higher spot but I can't because pressing jump does nothing

Just finished the game last night, and I have mixed feelings on it. I loved the gameplay in TR2013. I loved the combat and I loved how every new thing you got, whether a weapon or a traversal ability, felt like it was greatly paced.

Some of the things I wanted in the sequel were gymnast Lara, proper boss fights, better tombs and less QTEs (among other things, but that's what stands out from memory). In RotTR, we don't have boss fights, have less (if not any) QTEs in cutscenes, but you still have gameplay prompts (that you can't turn off, right?) and some tombs are great, but others are just as simplistic as before. And Lara can swim and dive, both of which end up underwhelming.

Worse though, is that the core gameplay is lackluster. The best thing I liked from TR2013 didn't feel great anymore. I'm not even sure why. I played TR2013 on Hard, while I played RotTR on Normal (due to time constraints), but still, I expected to like it more. I've been reflecting, and I think it is due to the level design for combat sections. They just aren't fun bar 1 or 2 moments. Most of it is just being thrown in a confined area with enemies flowing in until the end, which sounds horrible to tackle in Hard. Maybe I mis-remember TR2013 overall, but there are sections I still fondly remember tackling in TR2013 combat-wise. There was also a lot less of it in RotTR, so the best part to me, the fluid combat, doesn't stand out. It also sucked that I forgot you could dodge while aiming for 80% of the game, something that I only saw mentioned in a loading screen, which was too late. It makes the fluid combat even better. Also, couldn't you throw sand in peoples faces while dodging in TR2013? I missed being able to do that in RotTR. The crafting mechanic cheapened encounters too, imo.

I felt the pacing was bad too, in terms of weapons/traversal abilities gained. Some of it felt redundant too, like the arrow jumps, which ended up just being similar to pick axe climbing. The grapple hook was super cool, if not ultimately game altering.

What stands out mostly is exploration, which is fine for certain rewards, but is absolutely boring for hunting materials. I do hate the survival mechanic and crafting mechanic. I couldn't be bothered doing optional tombs nearer the end because the end reward felt cheap and stupid. In TR2013, doing optional tombs gave you treasure and you saw a different side of Lara, one giddy at finding treasures vs story Lara. It was cool. Here, the story invades the optional tombs and cheapens it. I don't care for some crappy ability I'd likely have never unlocked if available in the level up screen. It took the joy out of the optional tombs for me. Some optional tombs were pretty basic too.

It's a shame, I loved the Syria part. When you first approach the tomb, it's awesome, reminiscent of old school TR. The Siberia section is dull and boring to me. Too much snow and cloudy skies mean a dull atmosphere. To me at least, especially compared to Syria. Some tombs and puzzles are great, again reminding me of old school TR, but the survival stuff and material hunting I really dislike.

The story: What can I say, it was less interesting than in TR2013. I had some hope coming in having heard people saying it was better than TR2013. Your 'companions' are better in RotTR than in TR2013, but everything else is worse. Worse antagonist and worse Lara. I could not care less for Lara's motivations, and it went on and on. It was pretty bad, at least in TR2013, it was a basic 'save friends' thing. Lara's motivation in RotTR just comes off as stupid. In terms of antagonist, I actually liked Mathias in TR2013, he could've been better, but nothing in RotTR comes close. And now Trinity may return in the future? Bleh. It also doesn't help that the thing everyone is chasing, the 'power to cure all illnesses', is a crap plot. The hyper realistic motion capture is also uncanny to me. Everyone looks like they're over-acting. That said I got used to it by the end, and the game looks super pretty, but I'd take money put elsewhere over it.

Lara's outfits are mostly forgettable too. At least in TR2013, even though it was a single outfit, it got damaged throughout the game and shared Lara's scars. That was cool. In RotTR, most don't even look good, and come with annoying abilities that I don't want attached to them.

I did like the side-missions (the ones people give you, not the crappy random ones like take down rabbit entrails or some BS), but again, they could've been handled better. Have more meaning to it, and don't have a mission be 'do all optional tombs'. Come on.

TL;DR - I dunno, RotTR isn't what I wanted from the sequel to TR2013. There are plenty of good stuff, but the game could've been much better. I was more forgiving in 2013, not so much now.

CHC

Looks like a real life photo.

Maybe if you're viewing it on a flip phone. But you're probably being sarcastic... Either way, that looks horrible but I definitely don't think it's a fair representation of what most of the game looks like. Graphics aren't really something I can complain much about in ROTR.

XOMTOR

Maybe if you're viewing it on a flip phone. But you're probably being sarcastic... Either way, that looks horrible but I definitely don't think it's a fair representation of what most of the game looks like. Graphics aren't really something I can complain much about in ROTR.

The game generally looks good to great but it's quite inconsistent at times. No the best looking game by any stretch especially considering its performance.

mdsfx

Once the main game is completed are you still free to return to each area to complete them? I want to return for all of the tombs...

Top Bottom