• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Protome

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any DLC until I was good enough to play at least one song properly.

Radiohead will make me break that promise.

Marc

Hey guys, got this just over a week or so ago with an acoustic guitar (with electric output obviously) and having a blast with it.

No experience in guitar or music and would say my initial standard was pretty horrible. My main goal is to be able to play Paint it Black to a decent level without Rocksmith's prompts and starting to dawn on me that this could take a fair few years. :D I have reached 40% mastery and it just goes up another gear that I can't even comprehend. Riff repeater helps but only way is muscle memory and hours of graft, but since this is done in a fun way I can see myself doing it. Mainly I assumed I would just be building up my fingers for the first few months and memorizing the frets and strings, so doing better than I thought in that regard, Fingertips are feeling dead to me already! Acoustic probably the tougher way to start but know I would use it more outside of Rocksmith.

One thing I was disappointed in, I heard about the game second hand and was told the Pixies Where is My mind was on there, didn't know this was a sequel. I see in the OT you can import the songs? So if I buy the original game (disc or digital?) it should automatically see them? Well worth the money (even though with this and PS4 I am broke) it seems. Hopefully there is some Nine Inch Nails, VAST and even though it doesn't fit the name... some blues tunes would surely improve anyone's skills.

As for the Radiohead news, only a fan of the odd song, hopefully Just is on there... my favourite personally. More Rolling Stones wouldn't go amiss either, Gimme Shelter or something simple like Time is On my Side. Seether, Staind... so many cool songs. Maybe a good idea would be to get a movie album that has collected a bunch of rock songs together already, I would pay a lot for The Crow. :D

Watched a few of the videos you guys have put up, some amazing stuff. Very impressed and in awe.

Katyusha

Played Giri Giri Chop on bass today for the second time, managed to get 96% on it fully mastered. And for those who don't know, there's an absolutely wicked bass solo courtesy of Billy Sheehan (around 2:18 in this video)

Felt like Sheehan myself after I played it, though I did kinda BS the solo by using a pick (Sheehan used his fingers)

Hey guys, got this just over a week or so ago with an acoustic guitar (with electric output obviously) and having a blast with it.

No experience in guitar or music and would say my initial standard was pretty horrible. My main goal is to be able to play Paint it Black to a decent level without Rocksmith's prompts and starting to dawn on me that this could take a fair few years. :D I have reached 40% mastery and it just goes up another gear that I can't even comprehend. Riff repeater helps but only way is muscle memory and hours of graft, but since this is done in a fun way I can see myself doing it. Mainly I assumed I would just be building up my fingers for the first few months and memorizing the frets and strings, so doing better than I thought in that regard, Fingertips are feeling dead to me already! Acoustic probably the tougher way to start but know I would use it more outside of Rocksmith.

One thing I was disappointed in, I heard about the game second hand and was told the Pixies Where is My mind was on there, didn't know this was a sequel. I see in the OT you can import the songs? So if I buy the original game (disc or digital?) it should automatically see them? Well worth the money (even though with this and PS4 I am broke) it seems. Hopefully there is some Nine Inch Nails, VAST and even though it doesn't fit the name... some blues tunes would surely improve anyone's skills.

As for the Radiohead news, only a fan of the odd song, hopefully Just is on there... my favourite personally. More Rolling Stones wouldn't go amiss either, Gimme Shelter or something simple like Time is On my Side. Seether, Staind... so many cool songs. Maybe a good idea would be to get a movie album that has collected a bunch of rock songs together already, I would pay a lot for The Crow. :D

Watched a few of the videos you guys have put up, some amazing stuff. Very impressed and in awe.

So, I was more or less in the same boat you were. Never picked up a guitar before in my life, but I bought the bundle with the Epiphone Les Paul earlier this month and have been enjoying it a lot. Took me about a week and a half of seering fingertip pain to get over that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YFH1jk3tSE

For reference, this is what I've done in about a week and a half in the game. At this point, I have pretty much the whole song down, sans the solo which is a real sonofabitch.

But overall, really enjoying it. But I feel like I'm at a spot now where I know how to do most of the techniques, I just need to be faster and more accurate. Like, you can't watch the screen, the fretboard, and your strumming hand all at the same time. You eventually have to just start memorizing parts of the song so you can either focus on your fingering or strumming.

Onemic

Lucky for you, Just is one of the dlc songs

R1CHO

I like a lot of songs on the game, but Unnatural Selection is my favorite (from Rocksmith 1).

Always going back to it trying to improve (never touch a guitar before Rocksmith), very fun to play, it has a little bit of everything, and it's just in the perfect spot for me of difficulty and reward.

My last attempt:

i1Aevi86Evf3U.jpg

I am very happy, but to be honest i fail a fair amount more than what that percentage reflects as the game can't really detect everything.

What are your fetish songs guys? Why?

Xyber

Plug In Baby is pretty much my warm-up song. So fun to play and it gets my fingers going. I've been so close to getting 100% on it so many times, but the game always likes to miss a few chords at random in the chorus.

Haha, just checked out my video I did for that song back in February (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0JR2TiFePU) and I can really tell that I've improved a lot from back then. Granted, I only had 3 months of experience with the guitar when I did that.

Marc

So, I was more or less in the same boat you were. Never picked up a guitar before in my life, but I bought the bundle with the Epiphone Les Paul earlier this month and have been enjoying it a lot. Took me about a week and a half of seering fingertip pain to get over that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YFH1jk3tSE

For reference, this is what I've done in about a week and a half in the game. At this point, I have pretty much the whole song down, sans the solo which is a real sonofabitch.

But overall, really enjoying it. But I feel like I'm at a spot now where I know how to do most of the techniques, I just need to be faster and more accurate. Like, you can't watch the screen, the fretboard, and your strumming hand all at the same time. You eventually have to just start memorizing parts of the song so you can either focus on your fingering or strumming.

Nooo, RockSmith bro is banned. :(

Yeah, playing this much, this quickly is kind of a shock to the fingers. My index finger is baring the brunt of all this since I use it the most at the moment, it feels weird.

Well done dude, great progress in such little time. This game really does work, I need to explore the arcade mode and such but saving that for when I need a break from the learn a song mode. Which might be a while.

Just tried that song out and jumped my mastery on My Generation from 32% to 48.2% and only played it a few times compared to me putting hours into Paint It Black (stuck on 44.3). I guess its a more simple song to play but proud none the less. :D Although it doesn't sound as good as you're doing on acoustic, have to hit the string and the fret in the right place perfectly or goes out of tune a bit. I had an electric guitar to learn previously but never got lessons and ended up giving it to my cousin, but find the acoustic guitar much harder to handle. Dunno if thats just me or not.

Lucky for you, Just is one of the dlc songs

Cool, had hoped so from the cover... thank you for the heads up. I probably shouldn't buy DLC until I can actually play to a half-decent standard but what the hell, well worth the money in experience. Have to say a special hats off to ubisoft for making this game, the rewards couldn't be obvious to greenlight such a project. I mean you have to own a guitar and a PS3/Xbox for a start, so kinda limits your customer base. But I have in my life only bought one DLC for a game, I can see myself buying quite a lot here when some more songs become available.

Looking at buying the following when I get paid:

Born to be Wild
Bring me to Life
The Dock of the Bay
Free Bird
Gold on the Ceiling
London Calling
Soul Man
The Thrill Is Gone
Whats Going On

Damn, thats a fair bit of money, plus Just as well...

Didn't have that issue, not sure what happened with you.

It is consistent with all the guitar case games: keyboard input stops being detected (I can cmd-tab out, and was able to cmd-q to quit the game last night), but space, return, esc, etc as displayed on the bottom don't work. I can start the game via 'make some noise'. Learn a song and the jam-session thing work.

Is there anyway to adjust the suggested fingering? Have seen a few things where the game sends you up and down the fretboard that I would play in the current position on a different string. If I were playing from a tab, I'd rewrite it, but don't know if I can here. I know the game will accept the same note played in a different spot, but remembering my edits on the fly in contrast to its prompting isn't working well.

Xyber

It is consistent with all the guitar case games: keyboard input stops being detected (I can cmd-tab out, and was able to cmd-q to quit the game last night), but space, return, esc, etc as displayed on the bottom don't work. I can start the game via 'make some noise'. Learn a song and the jam-session thing work.

Is there anyway to adjust the suggested fingering? Have seen a few things where the game sends you up and down the fretboard that I would play in the current position on a different string. If I were playing from a tab, I'd rewrite it, but don't know if I can here. I know the game will accept the same note played in a different spot, but remembering my edits on the fly in contrast to its prompting isn't working well.

You can't change how it tabs it out for you. Some hand positions they have in a few songs are really weird, like how they want you to play Reptilia. You can play that melody without barely changing your hand position, but they want to jump from 7th fret on D to like 10th fret on A instead of just keep playing on the D string.

The hard part is that if I do figure out a better way to play it it gets much harder if I look at the screen because it messes with my head.

Nakho

Got this game a few weeks ago, was dying to get my account validated so I could join the discussion!

Having played the guitar on a kinda basic level before the game, I have to agree with the guy who said it is a blast for someone like me, already with some knowledge of chords, basic rhythm and stuff. The main thing for me is that it makes you want to go back and redo that song till you get it perfectly, which used to be super boring as I didn't have any external feedback on how I was playing.

On the other hand, I think it is a little cumbersome for people who have no previous knowledge whatsoever (e.g. my GF tried it for a while) and the tutorials are kinda meh.

Also, why is the default method of difficulty progression in a song to start at full speed and increase the number of notes? Kinda goes against what every guitar teacher says, i.e. to start slow but play the piece of music perfectly. Well, not that big of a deal (Riff Repeater is great), just a little weird. Maybe they want you to feel like you're rocking from the beginning.

Also, why is the default method of difficulty progression in a song to start at full speed and increase the number of notes? Kinda goes against what every guitar teacher says, i.e. to start slow but play the piece of music perfectly. Well, not that big of a deal (Riff Repeater is great), just a little weird. Maybe they want you to feel like you're rocking from the beginning.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think it has a lot to do with the software and the experience of the user. My keyboard lets you learn songs in that way and the track just stops until you play the correct note and then it continues. I'd imagine in Rocksmith, it wouldn't sound or look at all pretty. I'd imagine it was a decision they made when thinking of how to manage that kind of progression. The cons outweighed the pros, perhaps.

R1CHO

I think that nobody would like that, at least no the total noobs (like myself).

The cool thing with Rockmith is that the whole time you are playing the songs, from a basic level yes, but you are playing with the song.

All the notes but slow would be more frustrating, because the majority of beginners would never listened to the real song, only the boring and messy slowed down versions. At least that's what i think, but at the end, as you say, there is always the Riff Repeater.

Varna

Just bought about 40 bucks worth of DLC.

Do I need to have RS1 installed to get new purchases? I didn't notice it downloading anything..

R1CHO

Fuck yeah, was waiting for a sale on the dlc to increase my songs collection.

The thing is, I may wait until the last day, just in the unlikely case that of it getting a 75% discount.

I run it on a 2012 Mac Mini, i7, 16GB ram, but integrated graphics, and it mostly runs fine. Sometimes has visual hiccups or frame drops. Sometimes frustratingyl so. But 90% of the tme it's fine.

I can confirm that it also runs on my 2010 Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb). It runs smoothly most of the time. For some reason I got some infrequent stutters when I disabled some visual effects, might be due to stuff running in the background. Stutters are only in the visuals, music (and scoring) are fine.

I actually had to double-dip on Mac. My PS3 died last week after I bought the game. Luckily my cable works and the game was on sale on steam.

Sorry for asking the obvious: if I buy the original version of the game, can I easily import the tracks or do I need this separate Import tool? Does this exist for Macs? Sorry, at work so can't look it up easily.
I agree with the people mentioning that it can feel a bit weird to start out with isolated notes in the beginning. Especially riffs that are series of 8th or 16th notes throughout, I usually switch to 100% and reduce the speed. Much easier than isolated single notes that are sometimes off-beat - it only makes sense in context for me.

elfinke

Fuck yeah, was waiting for a sale on the dlc to increase my songs collection.

The thing is, I may wait until the last day, just in the unlikely case that of it getting a 75% discount.

Yah, I'm gonna do the same. I saw on steamprices.com/au that OG Rocksmith is much, much cheaper on the US steam store than it is on the Aus steam store (and it seems I still need it in order to play the OG DLC in 2014), so with that in mind I'm gonna sit tight for a better sale.

elfinke

Which state should my McDonalds be in? I´m in europe and need a us adress. Which ones don´t collect sales tax?^^

I've always used addresses in Delaware (19930 zip code tonight) with great success.

/edit: Upon buying OG RS for $7.49 I got excited and bought all the DLC I wanted plus the import tool. Couldn't be bothered splitting hairs over the couple of songs I wanted after all!

I've always used addresses in Delaware (19930 zip code tonight) with great success.

/edit: Upon buying OG RS for $7.49 I got excited and bought all the DLC I wanted plus the import tool. Couldn't be bothered splitting hairs over the couple of songs I wanted after all!

Thanks, was so too excited for the game and took a McD in miami, florida. I´m a heat fan afterall lol.

Top Bottom