• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda will announce Skyrim remaster at E3

Bethesda asked themselves what they could do to avoid having to build a new engine for another year, and this was the answer.

Hoje0308

Banned
Have you ever play a Bluepoint remaster? There's no doubt in my mind that it would be more technically competent than anything Bethsoft put out in a console, like ever.

That's exactly my point. Bethesda would come out looking bad, not Bluepoint.

Eh, id pass on this. Modded Skyrim on PC would most likely shit all over any remaster anyway. However, something like Morrowind or Daggerfall id be down for a remaster.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Has anyone even asked for this?

If this was a Morrowind or even an Oblivion (or a Fallout New Vegas ) remaster then I'd be on board in a heartbeat, but a remake of a game that come out not even 5 years ago, still looks fine enough and got plenty of mods to make it look even better? Nah.

Of course, this will print the most bucks for the least amount of effort required, so Bethesda's suits will get to laugh maniacally while swimming in pre-order cash.

1. You say "did anyone ask for this" and then proceed to say it will print money.. So obviously, the people buying it en mass, asked for it.

2. There were no mods for the console versions to make them look better.

3. A half decade with a generational leap inbetween is plenty enough reason for a remaster. Hell, the GTAV remaster was great, and only like a year out from the original.

4. Not everyone played it back then, and those who did may not want to keep their old consoles plugged in, or may want to experience it at higher fidelity, or with mods.

Honestly, people are having a hard time just seperating "I don't personally want thing" with "How could anyone possibly want thing!?"

It's silly.

If this happens, I'll be irrationally angry. The fact that there are people in this world who will buy Skyrim three times is one thing, but not remastering Morrowind or even Oblivion is sonething else entirely. Give Morrowind the same shitty combat system as Skyrim and people will buy it like hotcakes on a day where hotcakes are much cheaper than regular.

Karak

Bethesda sees the numbers for Fallout 4 mods on consoles and whos doing what. Makes call to get Remaster lol .

And have a remaster studio put out a higher quality product than they can currently muster? Seems like a good way to ruin an already shaky image.

Can you imagine how crazy that'd be?
If some studio, with no AAA games of their own or original AAA development experience to speak of, were given Bethesda's in house tools to produce a game in one of their storied franchises, and somehow put out a far better game than Bethesda could?
I can't even imagine that.

Honestly, people are having a hard time just seperate get "I don't personally want thing" with "How could anyone possibley want thing!?"

YKqfBUD.gif

BigTnaples

Can you imagine how crazy that'd be?
If some studio, with no AAA games of their own or original AAA development experience to speak of, were given Bethesda's in house tools, and somehow put out a far better game than Bethesda could?
I can't even imagine that.

Won't happen. And has not happend.

Paskil

No thanks, I already modded it up the wazoo on PC to look better than any possible remaster. Hope they announce more. If they were doing a remake/master, would have been cool to see them go back to Morrowind/Oblivion. Should be cool for people that haven't played it or only played the broken PS3 version I suffered through at release.

H3xum

What RPG was it that Bethesda said they played the combat and after were embarrassed by skyrim?

I know it is slim to none, but, just tweak its speed and make magic feel less clunky and i will buy it for a 3rd time.

nataku

I'd probably re-buy it on PC if it was on a better, more stable engine somehow... reworking things to fix the big flaws that the modders exposed in terms of memory management and whatnot. Support for existing mods is a must, though. Vanilla Skyrim is something I can't play anymore.

This would be great. I never got very far in the game, and was thinking recently about playing it now that I just built my own PC. This would be perfect timing if it comes in the next few months!

Played 150+ hours on ps3 at release and... nope. Skyrim has aged horribly. This could be free and I wouldn't waste the HD space. Also Bethesda needs to go learn how to make a decent game. So many devs in just the past few years have made them look like crap.

Warablo

I feel like Skyrim is one of the worst games I've spent 300+ hours on.

I didn't even play-through the last DLC.

Stiler

A bummer if true, was hoping for something new..... I mean with pc mods Skyrim is old news now, especially if you are looking at a "remaster" with some slight technical upgrades.

I mean the only thing that'd make it worthwhile is if they moved it to a new engine, but after Fallout 4 I don't see that happening.

Acerac

Banned
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Many people would surely purchase it. I sure as hell wouldn't, but I have no doubt it'd sell millions.

BigTnaples

A bummer if true, was hoping for something new..... I mean with pc mods Skyrim is old news now, especially if you are looking at a "remaster" with some slight technical upgrades.

I mean the only thing that'd make it worthwhile is if they moved it to a new engine, but after Fallout 4 I don't see that happening.

Or you know, for he millions of people playing on consoles who don't own a gaming PC...

If this ever happens I would hope improvements from Fallout 4 are implemented like hair physics, better looking faces, textures, and lighting effects.

120v

not everybody who enjoyed skyrim modded it to hell and back on PC. or got to play it on a PC that wasn't a potato

my guess is bethesda ran a build of the "remaster" as a test for fallout 4 and said what the hell lets just go whole hog with this. not like it didn't sell 30 million copies to begin with

belmonkey

I could see a graphically improved Skyrim (more than resolution or fps) easily selling millions like Gtav did. But where would the (probably inevitable) PC version be left if this new version had better features than vanilla? Would everyone stick to modding the original game or shift?

Kremzeek

Will buy......if it doesn't run like shit......(It will)

I'll probably buy it, especially if it includes all the DLC, as I never bought them the first time.

The music in Skyrim is sublime. Nothing beats adventuring out in the wilderness with that music to accompany you.

psyfi

Banned
Ehh, I already played enough of this. I'd be into if they reworked the combat to be more fun / less janky, but I doubt that'll happen. We'll see. I might get it for cheap.

They makes zero sense. After 3 or so hours I would have pulled the plug and deleted the game.

Some people spend tons of time doing meth... doesn't mean it's good. It's addictive and was good at the time. It's crap now. It's like Motorola coming back out with an old flip phone. Let it die and step it up Bethesda. They been living in the past for too long.

I'm sure Skyrim will sell. I get it. But I don't think it's any good.

It's pretty clear that just about every tentpole AAA release (and more than a few also-rans) from last-gen will get a "remaster" by the time this generation's over. Easy money.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
After TW3, it would have to be one hell of a remaster.

Top Bottom