• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

madjoki

So...has this actually been confirmed other than their logo on their website?

Also, the post on the forum says that Rockstar was added today to their list of partners, but Wayback Machine shows them there as recent as May 2014.

Regardless when it was added, why else would Rockstar partner with them?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So you're either pretending there's no singleplayer component to WoW or KOTOR, or you've never played them.
I'm claiming the primary focus in every single one of those games including the MMOs is on online interaction with other human beings. If you think otherwise then I have nothing left to say as this argument will go nowhere.

I'm claiming the primary focus in every single one of those games including the MMOs is on online interaction with other human beings. If you think otherwise then I have nothing left to say as this argument will go nowhere.

I've been hugely misled about the importance of GTA: Online as part of the GTAV package then.

No offense to FIFA or LotF, but GTA V is an infinitely bigger release on PC than either of those games. The motivation to crack it will be much higher than it is for the other two games using this DRM. I say it takes 3 weeks tops to get a working crack. No DRM is uncrackable and this one won't be either. So in the end the only ones who will get screwed are the paying customers.

This is pretty nuts though, the fact that companies using a SecuROM equivalent feels like I have gone back in time. I thought we were past this.

No offense to FIFA or LotF, but GTA V is an infinitely bigger release on PC than either of those games. The motivation to crack it will be much higher than it is for the other two games using this DRM. I say it takes 3 weeks tops to get a working crack. No DRM is uncrackable and this one won't be either. So in the end the only ones who will get screwed are the paying customers.

But of course, no developer can understand that.

Sometimes I think PC gamers are their own worst enemy.

I think the thought behind it is good and commendable as no one wants to buy a product that is annoying, has unnecessary poor performance or makes them jump through hoops, but the scaremongering and jumping to worst possible conclusions is disappointing. I've played 1 game with this DRM and my opinion is that it seems to be pretty good.

I think the thought behind it is good and commendable as no one wants to buy a product that is annoying, has unnecessary poor performance or makes them jump through hoops, but the scaremongering and jumping to worst possible conclusions is disappointing.

Unfortunately we have been conditioned for it due to these things having a history of completely sucking for paying consumers.

Sometimes I think PC gamers are their own worst enemy.

Yes.
I've no idea how honest gamers can be outraged by this move until they can show this particular system, in this particular title, is actually buggy.

There is also a middle group who appear to be upset at the mere idea that this kind of copy protection is allowed to exist. Like, "if we don't fight this with outrage, tomorrow our PCs settings will be locked by remote control". WTF. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet, join the 1% who don't buy the game because of it.

But here is the news: Rockstar are going to make a ton more money by not rolling over for day 1 pirating, and they are also going to be rewarded financially by releasing on consoles first, PC second. They are just playing the cards they are dealt. Also this idea that steam killed piracy might now be seen for what it is: BS.
Steam sales make it pointless to pirate old games, but big new releases are as vulnerable as they ever were. Try fixing that before asking for console release parity.

SparkTR

Makes me pine for the days of "Turn to page 57 of the manual and type in the first word in paragraph two, sentence 3."

But you know what, if it really does curb piracy then so be it. I'm down.

Curbing piracy doesn't mean more sales.

flyshow

Hmm:

-made by the SecuRom guys
-still has actual SecuRom code
-both Lords of the Fallen and Fifa 15 have reported performance issues.

Yeah, I will assume the absolute fucking worst until proof of contrary comes.

Haven't had any issue on PC version of Fifa 15. Actually I would not be aware of the fact that Fifa adds an additional DRM pass this year if not reading OP. I'd say of course I welcome DRM free games, but I don't really care about the DRM method used in games as long as the added protection does not compromise the in-game experience.

MUnited83

For you.
-Delayed PC version of GTA V - Makes sense if they want to maximise revenue and prevent it eating into sales of the console versions.

-Purposely breaking mods for their games(happened with GTA IV/Saint Andreas) - Purposely?? When and what mods?

-Shitloads of DRM (Securom+Social Club+GFWL on GTA IV. ALL OF THEM. AT THE SAME TIME) - definitely stupid, no argument there

-They added a warning on GTA IV store page basically saying that thay aren't patching GFWL out. - Where is this, it's not there

- I don't give a crap about that. Other devs manage to release PC ports day and date with console and seems they didn't bankrupt yet. Also, it's not like Rockstar is drowning in money already or anything...(oh wait, they are)

- Yes, purposely. They broke graphics mods of GTA IV countless times with their updates and they recently broke the multiplayer mod of San Andreas

-Indeed the warning doesn't seem to be there anymore. So either they changed their mind or they just removed the warning for the time-being because of GFWL closing date being post-poned. I'm heavily inclined to say that it's the latter.

Has Denuvo caused problems for people prohibiting them from playing the game? If not, I don't understand the issue. Online piracy is rampant and companies obviously want people to buy their games. But if this DRM causes issues for people who actual buy the game, that's just a really bad scenario.

Yes.
I've no idea how honest gamers can be outraged by this move until they can show this particular system, in this particular title, is actually buggy.

There is also a middle group who appear to be upset at the mere idea that this kind of copy protection is allowed to exist. Like, "if we don't fight this with outrage, tomorrow our PCs settings will be locked by remote control". WTF. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet, join the 1% who don't buy the game because of it.

Because I've had plenty of bad experiences with DRM, two of which were Rockstar games.

Longshot

Does this DRM prevent mods?
I believe Rockstar already killed SA:MP and ENB in IV.

Every time I've used DRM-laden products I've always had a bad experience, as long as I can click "Play" and have the game load up and run without any performance issues I'll be happy.

SURGEdude

But here is the news: Rockstar are going to make a ton more money by not rolling over for day 1 pirating, and they are also going to be rewarded financially by releasing on consoles first, PC second..

But wait, if the PC version is hypothetically uncrackable (lol) then what incentive is there financially to release later? If anything wouldn't it have been smart to launch it a year ago before the compromised PS3/360 releases hit and were pirated?

I was always under the impression that piracy was the unspoken excuse for delayed launches on PC. But that excuse kinda goes away if we believe they have some super-duper-uncrackable DRM solution.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why would you have to pay to remove this crap when you already fucking paid?

Don't give them ideas, this is some EA shit right here.
It would never happen even anyway. If you can pay to remove the DRM, its kinda pointless to have it there in the first place. Then one guy can just pay to remove the DRM, make a copy and spread it as piracy.

Nzyme32

- I don't give a crap about that. Other devs manage to release PC ports day and date with console and seems they didn't bankrupt yet. Also, it's not like Rockstar is drowning in money already or anything...(oh wait, they are)

- Yes, purposely. They broke graphics mods of GTA IV countless times with their updates and they recently broke the multiplayer mod of San Andreas

-Indeed the warning doesn't seem to be there anymore. So either they changed their mind or they just removed the warning for the time-being because of GFWL closing date being post-poned. I'm heavily inclined to say that it's the latter.

As far as breaking mods goes, that is insane. It seems obvious to me and likely everyone else, that those mods where greatly loved and increased peoples interest in the games. The only reason I can think for them breaking them is some sort of fear of the community producing better content or something, or perhaps that those were what was causing piracy, which likely can't be proven anyway

Orayn

I'm looking for any kind of definitive link between Denuvo and bad performance in Lords of the Fallen. It's a very tentative series of connections that leads back to a single Russian piracy site, and not everyone agrees with their conclusions.

While I'm still wary of an extra layer of DRM, it might be best to save at least some of our anger until we have a clearer view of the situation since it's possible that we're looking at other issues being incorrectly attributed to Denuvo.

"NEW DRM WILL CRIPPLE PERFORMANCE OF MAJOR PC RELEASE!" makes a really good headline, even if it's based on weak speculation, so there may be some reason to be skeptical of how the story is being framed as well.

Mesoian

Will be broken day one.

Will probably ruin Rockstar servers

Will definitely cause RS to have egg on their face for a few weeks after release

Will definitely be removed after a month

And then I'll definitely buy it.

History repeats itself.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Won't buy (or pirate) at all, ever.

Super hoping it gets cracked hilariously fast and becomes the most pirated game in history. Fuck off, Rockstar.

Top Bottom