• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Grand Theft Auto V will use additional DRM on PC (Steam + Denuvo)

Adnor

Banned
Welp, I'll wait until it's cheap then. If they want me to wait more to get a DRM infested game I can wait a little longer to pay less.

Biker19

Banned
Are 3rd party publishers really this stupid nowadays? Did Rockstar learned nothing from other companies that were given flack for the always-online DRM scandals on PC versions of games like Assassin's Creed II, Diablo III, & last year's SimCity?

Nobody wants DRM on their games! Period!

Sentenza

Are 3rd party publishers really this stupid nowadays? Did they learn nothing from the PC versions of Assassin's Creed 2, Diablo III, & last year's SimCity?

Well, I'm not sure I would mention Diablo III as an example of game that "nobody wants" and should teach something to publishers, given its sales.

Are 3rd party publishers really this stupid nowadays? Did they learn nothing from the PC versions of Assassin's Creed II, Diablo III, & last year's SimCity?

Indeed, but the devs don't want their games easily pirated.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Just have DRM on it for like a month so people who wanted to pirate it get impatient and buy it.

It'll just get cracked eventually anyway as there will be a massive amount of interest in getting it cracked.

As much as I don't want R* losing a bunch of money, after this it'd be hilarious if this gets cracked day 1. I don't think it will, it'll probably be a few weeks, but man would they have serious egg on their face.

After having my save file disappear for no reason in Max Payne 3 thanks to Rockstar Social Club, I'd be wary of buying one of their games on PC.

I was halfway in the game too. Got so fed up that I just borrowed someone else's Social Club for their save file.

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
Yeah going ps4 with this.

After having my save file disappear for no reason in Max Payne 3 thanks to Rockstar Social Club, I'd be wary of buying one of their games on PC.

I was halfway in the game too. Got so fed up that I just borrowed someone else's Social Club for their save file.
FUCK THAT happened to me too. And no steam cloud on top or this.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
If ultimately you buy the game legally, double click the icon on your desktop, and the game boots up...who cares? Most drm is fairly unobtrusive now adays anyway.

We weren't talking about games.

I'm just saying people throw the rootkit term like it means something. It means something in the server world where to gain root is to gain complete control. But any game, with or without DRM, has huge control over your PC, and you're only choosing to trust the ones you think are not malicious. Labelling some DRM as a rootkit seems like selective blindness to me. Is it malicious? not proven to be.

leadbelly

Banned
Right, so the best course of action is probably to wait until we have more information. It's too early to declare that the sky is falling or that everything is fine, we just don't know.

Like I said, PC gamers are rightfully nervous due to the precedent of previous DRM fuckups, so the negative reactions aren't unwarranted. The onus is on Rockstar and Denuvo to reassure people that they won't be getting a worse experience than the (eventual) pirates.

Yeah. I hope it does work flawlessly anyway because I've been waiting a long time for this game. The PC version would be my version of choice.

Shredderi

Welp. There had to be something. Rockstar's past attitude towards mods combined with this makes me very worried for the most important reason I want this on PC: mods. Don't fuck it up now *R, please don't. Not after all this "doing shit right" thing they've had going on this week. Maybe it won't be that bad. Maybe.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How can anyone at 2K think this will prevent piracy? GTAV will be on the*******bay within 24 hours of release.

Yeah but you may need a crack as well which might take less than 24 hours, or it might take weeks, or even months.

How can anyone at 2K think this will prevent piracy? GTAV will be on the*******bay within 24 hours of release.

because as the makers of the DRM proudly proclaim on their web page, it took 46 days before an older version was cracked from release day. Which, also proudly proclaimed, happened over the critical first month of sales, and was unprecedented duration of anti-piracy.

So that is what Rockstar is buying from them and yeah I think 2K thinks it won't be on any bay within 24 hours of release or maybe even weeks.

Sentenza

The point is not even if it will prevent piracy as much as if it will increase sales.

Armchair business adviser: chances are that investing half of what they are spending to implement this DRM in some effort to increase the game's appeal for legitimate customers (i.e. Steam workshop integration?) would serve them much better in terms of copies sold.

The majority of video game sales are heavily front-loaded. It you can keep it from being pirated for a few months you can probably justify to investors that it gained you tangible sales.

Almighty

It sucks, but the year and a half delay was alrrady enough for me to pass on the game. I think Rockstar are tring to take Ubisoft's anti-PC award.

It really amazes me how backwards Rockstar or Take 2 are with the PC release of GTAV. When Japanese developers/publishers are starting to be less shit then you are at PC releases then you have a fucking problem.

The majority of video game sales are heavily front-loaded. It you can keep it from being pirated for a few months you can probably justify to investors that it gained you tangible sales.

PC games though tend to have very long tails if they are good and well supported. In my opinion they would of been better served by spending the money they spent on this DRM to add robust mod support for example.

I'm just saying people throw the rootkit term like it means something. It means something in the server world where to gain root is to gain complete control.

Part of the definition of a rootkit is that it obfuscates running processes.
Games don't do that.
Certain DRM solutions (but not all) do.

If you ctrl+alt+del and can see all of a programs running processes, its not a rootkit.

OsirisBlack

Banned
This does indeed bring up a very serious issue though. I have believed for quite some time there are some games that stay console exclusive because of pirating and this makes me wonder how bad it must be.

I cannot fault R* for actually wanting to get paid for their work and some of the complaints in this thread are cringe worthy. If pirating is bad enough to keep great games off of PC we should not be mad at the studios we should be mad at people pirating games.

It's obviously incredibly purposeful.

Piracy is much less rampant on consoles.. so they always release there first to maximize sales, leaving the PC last.

GTA V is by far the most obvious one, and this heavy DRM proves it even further.

It's a sales strategy and it's worked famously for them.

The truth is it's probably in the millions how many PC owners bought the console version who wouldn't have if it had released on PC. They'd have pirated it on PC and never paid for another version. There's money in the PC market.. especially long-term post release sales.. but you are best served focusing your launches on consoles.

My thoughts exactly.

riotous

Banned
It really amazeses me how backwards Rockstar or Take 2 are with the PC release of GTAV. When Japanese developers/publishers are starting to be less shit then you are at PC releases then you have a fucking problem.

Piracy is much less rampant on consoles.. so they always release there first to maximize sales, leaving the PC last.

GTA V is by far the most obvious one, and this heavy DRM proves it even further.

The truth is it's probably in the millions how many PC owners bought the console version who wouldn't have if it had released on PC. They'd have pirated it on PC and never paid for another version. There's money in the PC market.. especially long-term post release sales.. but you are best served focusing your launches on consoles.

This does indeed bring up a very serious issue though. I have believed for quite some time there are some games that stay console exclusive because of pirating and this makes me wonder how bad it must be.

I cannot fault R* for actually wanting to get paid for their work and some of the complaints in this thread are cringe worthy. If pirating is bad enough to keep great games off of PC we should not be mad at the studios we should be mad at people pirating games.

It can't be too bad considering a major PC publisher in CDPR is still releasing their games without DRM of any sort.

FIFA 15 and Lords of the Fallen proved that the DRM is indeed hard to crack.
FIFA 15 has been around for months.

GTA V is orders of magnitude bigger of a deal on PC than FIFA. There will be a much greater effort to crack it. Not saying that assures a crack, but the fact that FIFA and LotF haven't been doesn't say much about GTA V.

Can someone explain to me why this is bad for people who didn't plan on pirating the game? Is it that Rockstar essentially owns the game and you don't?

Sentenza

I never liked the term but holy shit if this doesn't read as "concern trolling".

Can someone explain to me why this is bad for people who didn't plan on pirating the game?
I don't see why did you bother asking when you obviously don't actually care about the answer, since this was argued for pages already.

GTA V is orders of magnitude bigger of a deal on PC than FIFA. There will be a much greater effort to crack it. Not saying that assures a crack, but the fact that FIFA and LotF haven't been doesn't say much about GTA V.

How come?
FIFA is like the most popular football/soccer game on earth. It's so successful so EA managed to release the game annually since decades ago.

riotous

Banned
Can someone explain to me why this is bad for people who didn't plan on pirating the game?

Aside from many DRM solutions being an inconvenience, they also often create some sort of reliance on a service that can go down at times, or perhaps even be discontinued some day.

There's games you can download on Steam that you bought in the past that might not work because of some DRM that just isn't compatible with other software anymore, or used an online server that doesn't exist.

Almighty

It's a dumb strategy mostly because it doesn't seem to be based in reality. Skyrim didn't seem to have any problems selling with a PC version day and date, the Call of Duties seem to sell fine as well, and the list goes on. In fact I can't think of a console game that did terrible because it had a PC version launch the same day. When you are pretty much the only major publisher still doing this that should in my humble opinion tell you it is bullshit.

I never liked the term but holy shit if this doesn't read as "concern trolling".

I don't see why did you bother asking when you obviously don't actually care about the answer, since this was argued for pages already.

I'm sorry? I was just wondering; all the comments I've seen in this thread haven't actually explained what's so bad about the DRM. Sorry I offended you.

To everyone else who responded: thanks for explaining.

Omega

Banned

because it's unnecessary? Those who plan to buy legit or going to buy legit. Those who plan to pirate are going to pirate.

it took me an hour to get Max Payne 3 to play because you were required to use their Social Club (at least on first sign in, not sure if it was required after that)

riotous

Banned
Its a dumb strategy mostly because it doesn't seem to be based in reality. Skyrim didn't seem to have any problems selling with a PC version day and date, the Call of Duties seem to sell fine as well, and the list goes on. In fact I can't think of a console game that did terrible because it had a PC version launch the same day. When you are pretty much the only major publisher still doing this that should in my humble opinion tell you it is bullshit.

Yeah there are some great sales successes on the PC, like Bethesda games for instance.

But you can't just point out outliers and call Rockstar's strategy bullshit. Most PC game launch sales are dwarfed by their console sales.. and the amount of piracy on PC dwarfs the amount of piracy on consoles. These are just facts.

And for all you know, Bethesda would make 10's of millions more if they sold on consoles first.

I'd SO much rather Rockstar not do it this way.. same with them seemingly not giving half a shit about GTA IV's PC engine being remotely optimized.. but I don't think it's a financial backfire for them, I really don't.

Sothpaw

I guess I'll pick up the PS4 version

For people saying this, is the DRM really that bad that you would rather play at 30fps instead of 60 and whatever resolution you can handle? Honestly curious.

Then why do so many people buy from Steam? Steam's greatest achievement is getting people to completely accept DRM.

If Steam is DRM then I love DRM I guess. I can't think of a time when Steam has ever inconvenienced me since I began using in 2004.

Edit: OK some auto-updates were a pain but I can turn those off.

Part of the definition of a rootkit is that it obfuscates running processes.
Games don't do that.
Certain DRM solutions (but not all) do.

If you ctrl+alt+del and can see all of a programs running processes, its not a rootkit.

Things are not simple like that. You can't tell anymore by googling a list of executable names. Multi-threaded executables may do something malicious in one thread and legit in the rest. Or DLLs can be installed that do things during constant API calls.

All you are saying is that rootkits are malicious, no argument.

But just because something is DRM and doesn't conveniently advertise itself as a process "here_is_the_drm.exe" that can be killed, doesn't make it a malicious. Rootkit is just a convenient label to try to embarrass anti-piracy code away.

I would say however that if you quit the game and delete it, the DRM should vanish, not linger around. Lingering would be malicious.

Top Bottom