• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo aiming for Zelda BotW release on June 16 (EUR), Switch release first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe because what it represents stings more than the actual inconvenience.

Nintendo's initial plan was to use Zelda to save the Wii U, and promised Wii U purchasers its exclusivity.

Pretty shitty thing to do, but capitalism is capitalism. Let's see if it works for them (it will).
Zelda wasn't going to save the Wii U. They made the right decision.

jnWake

Nintendo's initial plan was to use Zelda to save the Wii U, and promised Wii U purchasers its exclusivity. When zero games, from Mario Kart to Smash to 3D World, could turn the Wii U around, Nintendo realized it'd be pretty dumb to waste all these assets just so a few people who really, really, thought Nintendo wouldn't let them down wouldn't be let down.

Pretty shitty thing to do, but capitalism is capitalism. Let's see if it works for them (it will).

They let them down by releasing the game on more than one console? I'd understand if the game was cancelled for Wii U but it's just people being babies at this point.

I'm not boycotting anything.

Then fortunately, we're having a different conversation.

Not said:

Nintendo's initial plan was to use Zelda to save the Wii U, and promised Wii U purchasers its exclusivity.

I've been a loyal Wii U owner since launch, and I honestly don't ever remember it being pitched as the game that would save the system, or any promises of exclusivity (the closest I can think of were vague words along the lines of "no plans to bring it to NX").

The shitty thing to do would have been to abandon the Wii U 18 months ago when it was obvious it wasn't a salvageable system, and move the game to the Switch entirely. Those types of moves have happened plenty of times throughout gaming history.

The fact that Nintendo saw it out with 4 full years of Wii U support and are still giving us this game even though they'd probably be better off putting all their development resources into one basket and using it to drive Switch sales shows that they're committed to supporting their player base, not the opposite. As a Wii U owner that's always seemed clear as day to me. Because my beloved Dreamcast didn't get that kind of support, nor did my Neo Geo Pocket. But Nintendo threw good money after bad on this system for at least 2 years keeping good faith on consumers' investments. I don't know if I'll buy a Switch, but I do know the only reason I'm even considering it is because they did so.

Malakai

Well for one theres Chobel. Who instead of getting up in arms about it called it XBone's "system seller" aka

Then in this thread:

Edit: heres another, this time from Nampad:

Titanfall thread:

This Thread:

Edit 2: From Mac the Knife:
Titanfall Thread:

This Thread:

I see your point but the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One and Wii U to Switch situation isn't analogous. Xbox 360 wasn't replaced in 4.333 years after being on the market like the Wii U is going to be with the Switch. Secondly, The Xbox 360 was receiving games during the launch and years after the release for the Xbox One. To be quite frank, it is clearly obvious the only reason the Wii U wasn't replaced quickly is due to the tech used by the Switch not being available until now (the insider leaked Pascal Nvidia GPU tech with A72 or A73 ARM CPU's). I will give Nintendo some credit in that they could have had abandoned the Wii U earlier; however, their Wii U output, when compared to the GameCube, was substandard. During the first 365 days of the Wii U, Nintendo support was extremely weak and last year market, Nintendo support of the Wii U was extremely weak. The console only got truly two years of solid support late 2013 to late 2015 and Spring 2016 (with a good few months of gaps during though years).

Branduil

Nintendo does a lot of shitty stuff but this isn't really an example of it. Most companies would have just dropped the Wii U version a long time ago.

The thing to be mad at Nintendo for is making a crap console that utterly flopped.

Malakai

Then fortunately, we're having a different conversation.

I've been a loyal Wii U owner since launch, and I honestly don't ever remember it being pitched as the game that would save the system, or any promises of exclusivity (the closest I can think of were vague words along the lines of "no plans to bring it to NX").

The shitty thing to do would have been to abandon the Wii U 18 months ago when it was obvious it wasn't a salvageable system, and move the game to the Switch entirely. Those types of moves have happened plenty of times throughout gaming history.

The fact that Nintendo saw it out with 4 full years of Wii U support and are still giving us this game even though they'd probably be better off putting all their development resources into one basket and using it to drive Switch sales shows that they're committed to supporting their player base, not the opposite. As a Wii U owner that's always seemed clear as day to me. Because my beloved Dreamcast didn't get that kind of support, nor did my Neo Geo Pocket. But Nintendo threw good money after bad on this system for at least 2 years keeping good faith on consumers' investments. I don't know if I'll buy a Switch, but I do know the only reason I'm even considering it is because they did so.

Here is a video with Miyamoto & Aonuma that was shown during the 2014 Gamer Awards (NX was first mentioned in March 2015):

At this mark Miyamoto asked Aonuma will it be really next year and he says yes...You can take it however you want rather Zelda was planed or not planed to save the Wii U.

R00bot

Welp, I bought a Wii U for this game. I can stomach this as long as the game turns out to be at stellar as it looks.

Branduil

Everyone should always assume a new Zelda will miss its tentative release date by at least 2 years. They will never rush a Zelda game out after what happened with Wind Waker.

We live in a world where smash and Zelda are the only games Nintendo can't afford to wait and announce when a release date is set. Hell even mario is down to the reveal > 6 month release window now.

Nintendo is a company where if the producers ask for more time they can get it, doubly so when those games are the cornerstone of the company in terms of industry mindshare. Stop taking this stuff personal.

Not

Banned
Everyone should always assume a new Zelda will miss its tentative release date by at least 2 years. They will never rush a Zelda game out after what happened with Wind Waker.

Yeah, they made one of their best games. Pretty lame. And Majora's Mask anyone? (1 year dev cycle!)

I realize game development takes a ton of resources these days, but Nintendo should be rushed in terms of Zelda. I think it results in quality and innovation.

Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game and it got five years of dev time. Three years for Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks (a year or so later) was wayyyyy better.

In fact, I'd love it if they made making brand new Zelda games using the same engine a regular practice, rather than ground-upping it for every new console.

Yeah, they made one of their best games. Pretty lame. And Majora's Mask anyone? (1 year dev cycle!)

I realize game development takes a ton of resources these days, but Nintendo should be rushed in terms of Zelda. I think it results in quality and innovation.

Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game and it got five years of dev time. Three years for Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks (a year or so later) was wayyyyy better.

In fact, I'd love it if they made making brand new Zelda games using the same engine a regular practice, rather than ground-upping it for every new console.

Majoras mask was intended to be 1 year. It didn't manage that and got 2.

Also, asking a developer to rush a game is silly. The series is revered because they don't rush things and take their time. They wouldn't feel as special if they came out every 2 years. Those simpler development days are long gone and I don't want one of the industries brightest beacons didiminished by greedily pumping out less stellar games. And you shouldn't openly admit thinking PH is better than SS. You don't want people to not take you seriously!

I know someone who has been buying used over Twilight Princess, in fact it's where I stole the idea!

All business decisions have unintended consequences.

It's your money, you can do what you want with it. The amount of people going to buy purely used because a week stagger is so small literally no one gives a shit.

It's just a pointless threat. Like the used market exists, if you wanna use it why would anyone feel any type of way?

I don't know if I can completely agree if it is an extreme stance. I can see why Madame M would feel the way he or she does. For me the issue becomes why system do I buy it for? Should I buy it on the Wii U for Gamepad support (I'm going to miss the second screen for a lot of things especially due to the Switch also replacing the 3DS as well) or do I buy it on the Nintendo Switch for portability? I'm having the same internal debate with Mario Maker with the 3DS. Do I get Mario Maker for Nintendo Switch or will Mario Maker for the 3DS be the superior version do the Mario Maker being one the greatest usage of dual screen gaming?

Buy it for whatever you want? Like, I don't grasp the issue. A game available on multiple platforms means you have to make a choice. You going to boycott the whole company because ports exist? Your choice but this isn't a real issue to 99% of the gaming demographic.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Correct, you do not grasp the issue.

Because there is no issue. The game is still coming to the Wii U.

If you want it on the Wii U, wait a week. If it is that big of a deal to play day one get a Switch.

Madame M

Banned
Because there is no issue. The game is still coming to the Wii U.

If you want it on the Wii U, wait a week. If it is that big of a deal to play day one get a Switch.

I'll probably wait around two weeks or so after the Switch release to buy a Wii U copy used, I cannot support such blatant nonsense.

120v

nintendo never cranks iterations out. once in a blue moon you'll get something like majora's mask or mario galaxy 2 that uses the same engine but for better or worse its just not their design philosophy

A 1 week delay between Switch and Wii U is fine. I say this as a Wii U owner who almost definitely will not own a Switch at that time.

If they are sitting on a finished Wii U version twiddling their thumbs for several months? That is not okay with me.

hatchx

Banned

Nintendo's initial plan was to use Zelda to save the Wii U, and promised Wii U purchasers its exclusivity. When zero games, from Mario Kart to Smash to 3D World, could turn the Wii U around, Nintendo realized it'd be pretty dumb to waste all these assets just so a few people who really, really, thought Nintendo wouldn't let them down wouldn't be let down.

BoTW delays could also simply be due to the game's size and scope?
Nintendo probably completely underestimated the development time needed for an open world game, and as they were filling in the world I think they started to run wild with possibilities and mechanics.

When Aunoma made the announcement it was going to be delayed from 2015 to 2016, that's probably around the time they knew it was going to come to the Switch (NX) and had extra time to pad out the game. It's going to be a really massive title, and I feel like not launching on Switch is a missed opportunity...

What do you think about the rumor that a full fledged Mario title will be a day 1 Switch game, is there an overlap with the Zelda hardcore fanbase in that this demograpic would have a Switch before Zelda anyway because of Mario's release? That's another key difference, Wii did not launch with a Mario title and neither did Wii U, both came a full year later for those systems.

Also be prepared for the cacophony of Nintendo apologists for making that Wii Sports argument!

A 3D Mario on release day would probably fill the hypothetical void BotW would leave. Even though we've even seen snippets of the 3D Mario, I still feel BotW is a more stunning achievement, and one that really revolutionizes the Zelda franchise and pushed the open world genre forward. 3D Mario won't excite a certain audience missing on Nintendo's platform the same way. I also have lofty expectations for BotW, I think it will push atleast 8 million units.

Switch will likely have a fantastic launch, and Zelda 3 months later in June would give the console some serious momentum.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
They've actually been using thay exact word since the Switch version was officially announced.

But yes, Nintendo does tend to change its mind, or have people flat out lie.

Well, considering the Wii U has been busted wide open and people can play pirated releases in under 10 minutes "work" I never considered even for a minute that both versions would be coming out at the same time ever since we heard the Switch coming in the same timeframe (more or less)... Honestly, I'll be impressed if it really ends up being just a one week delay, was gonna bet on 1 month being more likely

batbeg

In a world where Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian don't exist on the platform they were originally announced for, this is such a non issue that it cracks me up. I don't particularly understand why they wouldn't be simultaneous but the boycotters crack me up.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I feel really really bad for anyone who bought a Wii U hoping to play Zelda.

That's some fucking bullshit right there.

I know right!?
They must be envious as fuck of Dreamcast US owners getting to play Shenmue 2 back then, or PS3 owners experiencing The Last Guardian (FFXIII Vs is on SE) and especially of the amazing support Microsoft gave to the OG Xbox in its 3rd and 4th year on the market.

Twiforce

In a world where Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian don't exist on the platform they were originally announced for, this is such a non issue that it cracks me up. I don't particularly understand why they wouldn't be simultaneous but the boycotters crack me up.

What's funny is that Nintendo does do some genuinely questionable shit (Foxconn, conflict minerals, shutting down fan works) and yet some people can ignore all that but draw the line at a Zelda game releasing an entire week later than it could have. Really shows how childishly warped some people's priorities are.

120v

every hardware purchase is an investment... wii u was a mostly bad investment. deal with it

and this is coming from somebody who paid $200 on virtual boy day 1. so i'm not unfamiliar with the salt

Matt

Wow people can be incredibly irrational and emotional over the most minor things.

I mean, yeah, that's the Internet, but it will never stop surprising me.

ggx2ac

There's probably going to be more outrage at having to buy Amiibos for content in Zelda BotW than there is outrage over waiting one week more out of 3+ years already for the Wii U version of Zelda BotW.

Edit: By outrage I mean faux outrage.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
What's funny is that Nintendo does do some genuinely questionable shit (Foxconn, conflict minerals, shutting down fan works) and yet some people can ignore all that but draw the line at a Zelda game releasing an entire week later than it could have. Really shows how childishly warped some people's priorities are.
Lol

Matt

Those first two things are something every large electronics company is guilty of, and I wouldn't call shutting down fan projects using their IPs questionable. You may not like it, but there isn't anything immoral about it really.

every hardware purchase is an investment... wii u was a mostly bad investment. deal with it

and this is coming from somebody who paid $200 on virtual boy day 1. so i'm not unfamiliar with the salt
Yeah... Wii U is my most expensive console in terms of average game cost by a lot. The high cost of games combined with me purchasing so few games means the total cost per game including console was $90+ for me...

I bought a Wiiu for one game Zelda Nintendo screwed me.

You bought the console for one game only, except the game in question didn't even have a release date? So you bought the console with no game and left it in the box in the closet until that game came out?

If not, you bought it for more than one game.

rawbhawb

I bought a Wiiu for one game Zelda Nintendo screwed me.
Buying a whole console for a single game that doesn't have a release date, won't probably come out for years, no guarantee it will ever release (at least on the platform you bought it for), not to mention the lack of information about the game not pertaining to release date (like what kind of gameplay or structure it will have, which we only finally got this year after years of only knowing that a new Zelda is supposedly coming), is foolish.

And they didn't screw you considering Nintendo is keeping their promise of delivering a new Zelda on the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom