• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo aiming for Zelda BotW release on June 16 (EUR), Switch release first

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I have to agree. Zelda has a lot of buzz because of how different it to every other game in the franchise. What better game to launch than it? Mario 3D would be a great pick as well, but I don't expect it to have buzz Zelda has and will have, because lets face it, its gonig to be 3D Mario (not a bad thing).

I agree with you, I think. Zelda's buzz as an open world game could position it significantly, and if Splatoon is at launch also then the potential lack of 3D Zelda interest in Japan can be compensated for. However, my remaining concern then would be whether there's a deal in place for Skyrim at launch and no Zelda till after launch. Sounds odd, but, if Nintendo has a good deal with Bethesda for future support and plenty of their own non-Zelda games at launch they might feel it's better to hedge that particular bet.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Mario Switch is pushed back just for 3D Zelda. At its worst 3D Mario has always been way better than 3D Zelda. If they are pushing it back for bugs / polish reasons though, I can understand that.

"Just" for a 3D Zelda? "Way better" than 3D Zelda? Exaggerating much?

A 3D Zelda is more of an event these days than a 3D Mario. Tokyo is way more efficient than Aonuma's 3D Zelda team, and it has been a long, long time since Skyward Sword. People are hyped as all hell for it.

I have to agree. Zelda has a lot of buzz because of how different it to every other game in the franchise. What better game to launch than it? Mario 3D would be a great pick as well, but I don't expect it to have buzz Zelda has and will have, because lets face it, its gonig to be 3D Mario (not a bad thing).

But we have no idea what 3D Mario will be like yet. There is simply not enough to judge by that five second clip. Zelda still looks like Zelda to me... It changes to some extent every game. The new Mario game could be quite a change in direction from what we've seen before.

hatchx

Banned

While I agree Zelda at launch would be huge, I think it will still have a significant impact 3-4 months after launch to keep momentum going.

I see more 2017 momentum in the a lineup with 3D Mario at launch and Zelda 3 months later than I do with a Zelda at launch and a 3D Mario 3 months later. I don't know why.

brad-t

I don't get why people think they shouldn't have both Mario and Zelda at launch. Outside of hardcore Nintendo fans that are going to buy both anyways, is the overlap between their audiences really that huge?

Plus, Nintendo is pushing a much more WRPG vibe for Zelda. I think both games can stand on their own. And it would be a hell of a launch.

Jsheldon

A summer release is pretty shocking actually. I can't remember a major console Zelda that didn't launch in November. I figured if not launch then 4th quarter for sure. I skipped the Wii u gen but might hop back on the Nintendo train for a new Zelda.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Glad she looked into it more and reached out to new sources. I've been saying the marketing for this thing has been totally at odds with this June release rumor since the start.

I very much hope the game is out for launch and think it's an important game for Nintendo to have day and date, but I'm still cautious and not expecting the best at all.

"Thank you for supporting us Wii U owners but now go and buy Switch if you want to play it early"

I'm surprised it's being released at all for Wii U. Nintendo is such a shitty company to its fans it should just embrace it and release it only on Switch.

Also, good, now I know when to buy a Switch.

Ganondolf

If Zelda gets released at launch in the U.S. what will he the big game in Europe. Will Europe get Mario and in June the U.S gets Mario and Europe gets Zelda?

There is no way Europe gets released without Zelda or mario

I'm surprised it's being released at all for Wii U. Nintendo is such a shitty company to its fans it should just embrace it and release it only on Switch.

You quoted a month old post to an old rumour. We don't know exactly when the two versions will launch.

Why is this thread going insane. Of course Zelda is launching worldwide at the same time. I don't even understand what's going on here.

And Zelda is back on for launch? Please please please please.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
No way there´s no global same week launch for Zelda. Naw, not buying it. Yall going crazy.

Twilight Princess wasn't that long ago, you know.

And after Nintendo did same week for X/Y, they went back to separate weeks for Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby and Moon/Sun.

It's not without precedent.

dtm808

If Zelda gets released at launch in the U.S. what will he the big game in Europe. Will Europe get Mario and in June the U.S gets Mario and Europe gets Zelda?

There is no way Europe gets released without Zelda or mario

If its region free you can just buy the JP/US versions.

Zelda is a bad launch game. The only good thing about Zelda as a launch game is that shows the graphics potential of the machine.
A Zelda demo would make much more sense.

Nintendo need people to take the switch out and show it to friends and family.
Mario Kart makes a lot more sense.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zelda is a bad launch game. The only good thing about Zelda as a launch game is that shows the graphics potential of the machine.

They're going to have several titles out at launch. It wouldn't all be on Zelda, which despite all that proved to be a very solid launch title for the Wii with Twilight Princess.

If rumors are true there will be a Splatoon deluxe bundle, which should make for a good multiplayer game to introduce people to the system. And an as yet unknown new IP as well which I'd say chances are high will also be another multiplayer game, probably squarely designed around the Switch system itself. Zelda is a good game to showcase the systems capabilities and appeal to the hardcore and will most likely see a serious boost in sales for the game much in the way TP did on the Wii. Then 3 months down the line they could release MK, maybe put it in another bundle to help keep console sales high during the summer months and lead up to probably SSB in the fall and Mario as the big holiday game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda has to be there for me to buy in. I don't care much for Mario or platformers in general anymore. I mean I'll get it and playthrough the main levels (that don't require collecting coins etc. to unlock), but they're just not games I enjoy enough to buy day one, much less as a launch corner stone.

No Zelda at launch, I'll wait until it's out and see if the Switch is selling well before taking the plunge.

That's all assuming Switch is $250 tops as I'm just not willing to pay more for a third platform that I'll probably play 5 games a year max on. If it's more, or Zelda comes later and Switch isn't selling well, I'll just play Zelda on my Wii U that we keep around for Wii Fit.

I mean, yeah Mario would be a good idea, but a bad idea to launch with Zelda? TP disagrees.

Leatherface

When is the last time a flagship Nintendo game like Zelda released in June? I bet it will end up being holiday 2017. You know it's true. If it doesn't make launch don't count on that shit until November.

Neoxon

When is the last time a flagship Nintendo game like Zelda released in June? I bet it will end up being holiday 2017. You know it's true. If it doesn't make launch don't count on that shit until November.
Mario Kart 8 & Splatoon say hi, though they were technically released in late May 2014 & 2015 respectively.

DNAbro

When is the last time that a Nintendo console launched with a 3D Mario?

TDLink

Spanish and French say hi

While it's common to include those languages in NA releases, it isn't mandatory. Only English is. And even if they do include those two, there are still two further languages that EU releases require for a game to release.

I would like to think Mario will show more of the capabilities of Switch than Zelda. Zelda started as a Wii U game. It's a port.

weepy

Meh. I own a WiiU. I love my WiiU. It's time for an upgrade to a potentially better Nintendo system.

Kazooie

Banned

I'm not saying you are wrong, but factually you are wrong.

Twilight Princess launched with the Wii and sold over 8 million units.

A Nintendo console launching with a Zelda game is perfect for generating that hype.

Mario games are constantly in the limelight in some form or another. Mario Kart one year, 2D Mario the next, Mario ping pong the next etc.

A home console Zelda game comes around every 5 or 6 years (ports ignored).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not saying you are wrong, but factually you are wrong.

Twilight Princess launched with the Wii and sold over 8 million units.

A Nintendo console launching with a Zelda game is perfect for generating that hype.

Mario games are constantly in the limelight in some form or another. Mario Kart one year, 2D Mario the next, Mario ping pong the next etc.

A home console Zelda game comes around every 5 or 6 years (ports ignored).

It is more likely to draw in core gamers than Mario as well.

That said, sales show Mario Kart is clearly the biggest system-seller they have, and a MK9 should have been planned at launch.

jmizzal

Lol how in the world is Zelda a bad launch game? Wii says hi

Wow, this is wrong on many, many levels.

Zelda is a great launch title. It's one of few Nintendo franchises that immediately gets the attention of avid gamers. That, along with a new 3D Mario, gets the Switch off on a good start.

In order for the Switch to get mass appeal, like the DS or Wii, they then need their mass appeal title. These titles don't need to be available at launch. Remember Brain Age? That came much later after launch in the DS's lifespan.

Without a mass-appeal hit, the Switch's best chance at success is Nintendo's long IP list. The 3DS started off slowly, and never had a Brain Age or Wii Sports hit, but it did start selling very well after you had titles like MK7, Mario 3D, FE:A, and Luigi's Mansion on it.

I don't get why people think they shouldn't have both Mario and Zelda at launch. Outside of hardcore Nintendo fans that are going to buy both anyways, is the overlap between their audiences really that huge?

Plus, Nintendo is pushing a much more WRPG vibe for Zelda. I think both games can stand on their own. And it would be a hell of a launch.

Nintendo never released two or more new AAA 1st party games for the same console in the same month(don't forget that Splatoon port might even come out on launch too). And its for a good reason. Its dumb. Its gonna cannibalize sales of other 1st party and even 3rd party games, so its good to spread it out on different months, which also helps against droughts. Not to mention, Switch's 3rd support has already double of what Wii U at launch. More than likely the Switch will get much better and more games than the Wii U ever did at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom