• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo aiming for Zelda BotW release on June 16 (EUR), Switch release first

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReyVGM

Damn, people are still bitching? It's been 10 pages of whining and moping about.

A mod should really close this thread already.

ggx2ac

Screwed you into what?

Well...

Buying a wiiu was a mistake for me honestly. I absolutely hated the wii, I haven't played it since twilight princess. It seems like the next time I touch my wiiu is when zelda comes out. I guess I still buy Nintendo consoles out of nostalgia.

I've come to the conclusion after 30 years of mario, I can no longer stand him or any game with him in it.

But for some reason...

My WiiU is long gone I got tired of waiting.

Purest 78, I don't get why you are frustrated about buying Nintendo consoles to play Zelda.

If it's because that's the only game series that you buy, you seriously need to expand your taste in games. Nintendo isn't just Mario and Zelda, they have many different franchises and IPs but if you can only like Zelda because of nostalgic reasons, then you're never going to accept that Nintendo has changed every generation while you wanted to stay back in the SNES days.

Nostalgia has always meant to long for days past but when you revisit that past, you usually find that it wasn't as amazing as your nostalgia perceived it to be.

It's your choice if you want to keep being frustrated about buying a Nintendo console only for Zelda or if you decide to want to give other Nintendo games a chance otherwise, give up Nintendo and look for a new platform or hobby to enjoy.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Purest 78, I don't get why you are frustrated about buying Nintendo consoles to play Zelda.

If it's because that's the only game series that you buy, you seriously need to expand your taste in games. Nintendo isn't just Mario and Zelda, they have many different franchises and IPs but if you can only like Zelda because of nostalgic reasons, then you're never going to accept that Nintendo has changed every generation while you wanted to stay back in the SNES days.

Nostalgia has always meant to long for days past but when you revisit that past, you usually find that it wasn't as amazing as your nostalgia perceived it to be.

It's your choice if you want to keep being frustrated about buying a Nintendo console only for Zelda or if you decide to want to give other Nintendo games a chance otherwise, give up Nintendo and look for a new platform or hobby to enjoy.

Seems like a lot of overreaction to what they posted, mixed in with typical Nintendo fanboy elitism.

Nintendo has few games like Zelda anymore. With the Wii success with casuals and kids they doubled down on Mario Spinoffs, casual friendly series like Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Kart, Kirby etc. Things like Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, Earthbound, Eternal Darkness have vanished, and they no longer get big third party exclusives like Castlevanias, Act Raiser, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil 4 and on and on that they had in pre-Wii generations.

So I can get where some are coming from. While I still like many of Nintendo's games, and am not as sour on the Wii U as others, I get that Zelda is very atypical of the Wii U library. Aside from a few other gems like Bayonetta, W101 (neither of which I liked as I don't like that genre, but that's neither here nor there), the library is pretty thin for people who are tired of Nintendo's standard fare and/or don't like lighthearted games with cartoonish graphic designs.

As for someone needing to broaden their tastes, that's just silly. Life is far too short to not just to play what you enjoy. I'm sure purest has bought into other platforms and spends more time there. I know I have. Nintendo has probably gotten less than 10% of my total gaming time the past two generations as I just prefer the offerings on other platforms. Nintendo is mostly just my change of place/nostalgia fix these days. Switch will be no different. I just don't complain about my purchases as I know what I'm buying Nintendo consoles for and it's not a lot of money to me.

Malakai

Buy it for whatever you want? Like, I don't grasp the issue. A game available on multiple platforms means you have to make a choice. You going to boycott the whole company because ports exist? Your choice but this isn't a real issue to 99% of the gaming demographic.

Right, and a person can choose not to buy it as well. Or a person can choose to pirate a game as well. Or a person can choose to emulate the game. Or a person can stop becoming a paying gaming customer and you have one less member of "gaming demographic". Something is staring to become apparent with console gaming.

"...this isn't a real issue to 99% of the gaming demographic" So you have a forecasting model for gamer that own both 3DS and a Wii U that won't buy a Nintendo Switch? Gotdatmoney is the real insider I see.

ggx2ac

As for someone needing to broaden their tastes, that's just silly. Life is far too short to not just to play what you enjoy. I'm sure purest has bought into other platforms and spends more time there. I know I have. Nintendo has probably gotten less than 10% of my total gaming time the past two generations as I just prefer the offerings on other platforms. Nintendo is mostly just my change of place/nostalgia fix these days. Switch will be no different. I just don't complain about my purchases as I know what I'm buying Nintendo consoles for and it's not a lot of money to me.

It's pretty silly to just stick with eating McDonald's your whole life, how do you know you're not going to enjoy eating other things?

Even what you said is a logical fallacy, how would Purest 78 have known he would become a Zelda fan until he actually played the game? He was probably playing Pong long before that.

He can still play Zelda all he wants, and as you said he probably plays games on other platforms. The point was how he says he can't enjoy owning a Wii and Wii U because he only buys them to play Zelda and no other games for the system. I was giving advice relative to that because of what he is doing.

Yes, life is too short. That's why you make the most of it, that's why I suggested going for some variety.

If you're buying a system for a game without a single game, you only have yourself to blame for your unhappiness. Especially if you bought the system before the game was announced or given an actual release date.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty silly to just stick with eating McDonald's your whole life, how do you know you're not going to enjoy eating other things?

Even what you said is a logical fallacy, how would Purest 78 have known he would become a Zelda fan until he actually played the game? He was probably playing Pong long before that.

He can still play Zelda all he wants, and as you said he probably plays games on other platforms. The point was how he says he can't enjoy owning a Wii and Wii U because he only buys them to play Zelda and no other games for the system. I was giving advice relative to that because of what he is doing.

Yes, life is too short. That's why you make the most of it, that's why I suggested going for some variety.

He probably had played most of the Wii U library or previous entries in the series to know he's sick of them. He even specifically mentioned being sick of he vsrious Mario games as one example. Nintendo's genre innovation in recent years has been lackluster to say the least. If it wasn't someone's bag in the past, it's unlikely much has changed other than the odd exception like Splatoon.

Besides, it's not like there isn't even more variety in games in other platforms, especially PC. Not being into Nintendo games doesn't mean someone is only playing shooters or whatever. Most of us know what we like as we've been gaming for 20+ years and most games are sequels/rip offs. Most of us do try the truly new things. There just aren't many of those outside indies, and Nintendo l'e just as bad as the other AAA pubs in that front IMO.

Nintendo fanboys are so fucking insufferable that I'm half tempted to ditch my Amiibos and skip Switch. Discussing games online is half the fun of the hobby and it's just a miserable experience with Nintendo. Too many diehards and kids arguing over pointless shit like this and insulting people who don't like Nintendo's games as being narrow minded, needing to expand their tastes when many of them are being huge hypocrites as they play little but Nintendo games and avoid/bash other platforms/genres entirely.

Madame M

Banned
Damn, people are still bitching? It's been 10 pages of whining and moping about.

A mod should really close this thread already.

I for one am shocked, SHOCKED, that a thread specifically about artificially staggering a release date is filled with people complaining about artificially staggering a release date. Mods?

ggx2ac

He probably had played most of the Wii U library or previous entries in the series to know he's sick of them. He even specifically mentioned being sick of he vsrious Mario games as one example. Nintendo's genre innovation in recent years has been lackluster to say the least. If it wasn't someone's bag in the past, it's unlikely much has changed other than the odd exception like Splatoon.

Besides, it's not like there isn't even more variety in games in other platforms, especially PC. Not being into Nintendo games doesn't mean someone is only playing shooters or whatever. Most of us know what we like as we've been gaming for 20+ years and most games are sequels/rip offs. Most of us do try the truly new things. There just aren't many of those outside indies, and Nintendo l'e just as bad as the other AAA pubs in that front IMO.

Nintendo fanboys are so fucking insufferable that I'm half tempted to ditch my Amiibos and skip Switch. Discussing games online is half the fun of the hobby and it's just a miserable experience with Nintendo. Too many diehards and kids arguing over pointless shit like this and insulting people who don't like Nintendo's games as being narrow minded, needing to expand their tastes when many of them are being huge hypocrites as they play little but Nintendo games and avoid/bash other platforms/genres entirely.

It's as though you missed the point of what I was talking to Purest 78 about in the first place.

I told him to play another platform or find a new hobby if it's too much for him to keep buying Nintendo consoles out of nostalgia. It's his choice.

Skip the Switch the if you want. Your choice. I don't really see what a fanbase has to do with your enjoyment of a platform. I could say the same thing about Sony fanboys shitting on Nintendo since the GameCube, Wii and Wii U as being insufferable but that hasn't stopped me from owning a PS2, PS3 and PS4.

what-ok

I hear this is a rumor. Why are people getting so emotional over something that isn't real? Please come back to this moment, close your eyes and take a breath. Everything will be ok. (=

maxcriden

New rumor:

Laura Kate Dale ✔ @LaurakBuzz
So, I know for months I have been saying BOTW is not going to be out in March, heard from two NOE sources. Seems to clash with marketing.
5:41 AM - 1 Jan 2017
7 7 Retweets 72 72 likes

Follow
To those asking, I can't explain why there's a disparity between marketing and what I heard on release window.
5:42 AM - 1 Jan 2017
5 5 Retweets 53 53 likes

Follow
Recently reached out to a NOA source who I have not used before saying launch. Not sure why the disparity.
5:43 AM - 1 Jan 2017
9 9 Retweets 62 62 likes

Follow
Basically, going to be transparent about it. Unsure what's up, messaging on BOTW is weird.

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

(via GoNintendo.com)

So, if Zelda is day one, will Mario still be, too, do we think?

Neoxon

New rumor:

So, I know for months I have been saying BOTW is not going to be out in March, heard from two NOE sources. Seems to clash with marketing.
7 7 Retweets 72 72 likes

Follow
To those asking, I can't explain why there's a disparity between marketing and what I heard on release window.
5 5 Retweets 53 53 likes

Follow
Recently reached out to a NOA source who I have not used before saying launch. Not sure why the disparity.
9 9 Retweets 62 62 likes

Follow
Basically, going to be transparent about it. Unsure what's up, messaging on BOTW is weird.

(via GoNintendo.com)

The way I see it, if one comes out at launch, the other is getting pushed back.

I think it'll be one or the other. The one that isn't at launch will probably come out two or so months down the line. A nice way of keeping momentum up for the console going forward. Zelda/Mario, Mario Rabbids, Splatoon + third party support would be a solid launch lineup.

As amazing as both Mario and Zelda at launch would be, it'll probably be one or the other. If Zelda is in March, I really hope Mario is out by June. Or vice versa.

Edit - I keep forgetting that crazy Mario Rabbids game is a thing. I actually have a hard time believing both that game + 3D Mario will arrive on the same day. I'm kind of walking back my 3D Mario + Zelda day-one dreams because of this.

sphinx

the piano man
I knew it

they cannot push Zelda far into the year, it's a Wii U game for fucks sake,

they can't release a retail WiiU game in a later part of 2017

Ulysses 31

Gold Member
"Thank you for supporting us Wii U owners but now go and buy Switch if you want to play it early"

kqdZ1Qo.gif

AzaK

If there are two games ready for a Nintendo console launch, one being Zelda and the other a 3d Mario....which one do you really think Nintendo would go with. This is not rocket science.

maxcriden

If there are two games ready for a Nintendo console launch, one being Zelda and the other a 3d Mario....which one do you really think Nintendo would go with. This is not rocket science.

You mean Mario, then, right? Sorry, even my basic, non-rocket science gets muddled at times.

AmyS

Ah, the ol Twilight Princess switcharoo, only worse. :D

How it's worse when it's just a week?

Think it was only a week difference in Europe.

Oh hey, which version does Link lead with his left hand in this time?

Well it's only a week later for Wii U, Twilight Princess was like a month later on gamecube right?

It was a few weeks IIRC.

In North America, Twilight Princess game out for GameCube about 3 weeks after the Wii version / Wii launch.

Twilight Princess (Wii launch) November 19th 2006 ---> Twilight Princess (GameCube) December 11th 2006.

AniHawk

zelda.

there's another 'mario game' set for launch in the rabbids rpg, mario kart will probably hit even earlier than mario to help sell the multiplayer aspects of the machine, and 3d mario is a pretty big bullet to use later on for a mainstream audience versus zelda. i think mario is going to be a summer title, like sunshine and nsmb2 were.

maxcriden

zelda.

there's another 'mario game' set for launch in the rabbids rpg, mario kart will probably hit even earlier than mario to help sell the multiplayer aspects of the machine, and 3d mario is a pretty big bullet to use later on for a mainstream audience versus zelda. i think mario is going to be a summer title, like sunshine and nsmb2 were.

This is why I was unsure which was the 'obvious' answer. (No offense intended at all to you, AzaK.) There are solid arguments to make for either to be at launch. Mario traditionally does bigger WW numbers but open world Zelda has much more current potential Western appeal.

weekev

Banned
Maybe they will have looked at consumer habits, seen that most new console owners will buy more than 1 game at launch and realize that launching both at the same time is only going to increase the initial uptake on new console owners so makes good business sense to double whammy the launch.

Does Nintendo really want to leave WiiU owners waiting six months for Zelda? The system is already done, so please give it a respectable sendoff.

My opinion is that Nintendo should have both Breath of the Wild AND the 3D Mario at launch. They've previously launched multiple killer apps on their successful consoles (NES, SNES, Wii), so they don't have an excuse besides one of them needing polish.

If Zelda ends up getting a launch release in NA, there's no way in hell they'll release Mario in the same month.

For all we know, it could come out in the summer and trade launch dates with EU.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Mario Switch is pushed back just for 3D Zelda. At its worst 3D Mario has always been way better than 3D Zelda. If they are pushing it back for bugs / polish reasons though, I can understand that.

Durock

Shouldn't do both at the same time unless they have a solid lineup of software prepped for the remainder of the year. They need their big titles to be spread out from one another, but not too far out. The last thing they need is to launch strong and then the consumer is left waiting another 5-6 months for another big game to release.

EDIT: And I'll add that Mario being at launch would be far stronger than Zelda. Mario is their mascot character and with the release of Super Mario Run, he is in the world's mind now more so than ever. It would be a smarter business decision to keep that momentum going by having him headline the launch of their new hardware.

maxcriden

If Zelda ends up getting a launch release in NA, there's no way in hell they'll release Mario in the same month.

For all we know, it could come out in the summer and trade launch dates with EU.

Something like that would make me think Region Lock will be in, then. Hard to picture Nintendo allowing you to play Mario in English day one but only if you change the region. I could be way off, just my gut on that.

Since the begining of the Summer Launch rumor I had my doubts about beliving Kate.

Zelda BOTW was the first game running on the Switch we Saw on the trailer, then we saw it on the TV show so I would be weird to them not releasing this game at launch.

Metal B

New rumor:

7 7 Retweets 72 72 likes

Follow
5 5 Retweets 53 53 likes

Follow
9 9 Retweets 62 62 likes

Follow

(via GoNintendo.com)

Could be Nintendo giving different dates to different parts of NOE to pin down the leakers.

The more I think about it, the more I think Switch needs Zelda at launch.

I have to agree. Zelda has a lot of buzz because of how different it to every other game in the franchise. What better game to launch than it? Mario 3D would be a great pick as well, but I don't expect it to have buzz Zelda has and will have, because lets face it, its gonig to be 3D Mario (not a bad thing).

maxcriden

That would make no sense whatsoever... I can tolerate a few days differences, maybe even few weeks, but 3 months?? Why???

As I mentioned above, if they go for such a scenario, then the best case for everyone is region free so we can still play both at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom