• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nyoro SF

I liked what I saw. I know the framerate was absolute shit but I highly doubt it'll be like that on release. I can see a lot of potential.

Only downer was the main character's voicing and dialogue. That was so bad, and not a "so bad it's funny" kind of way. Maybe it's because he's talking to "himself" (a dragon that can't respond to his quips).

I gotta say, between this, Quantam, Crackdown, and everything Rare I'm finally glad I have an Xbox One. With BC coming soon I'm hoping to get a chance to play MGRising.

This Kamiya fellow might be a hard to like on Twitter, but he knows his games.

I gotta say, between this, Quantam, Crackdown, and everything Rare I'm finally glad I have an Xbox One. With BC coming soon I'm hoping to get a chance to play MGRising.

This Kamiya fellow might be a hard to like on Twitter, but he knows his games.
I couldn't agree more. This was a great conference, and really drove home how awesome it's going to be to own an Xbox One.

Kamiya's action games are incredible, but I love Okami. So I'm not apposed to slower style game from him. I'm hoping to see some good Dragon customization/ leveling, or maybe even other Dragons to choose from.

_Clash_

I feel that you'll be able to change the appearance of the NPC. Quite a lot.

Hopefully his voice and gender too?

I think the headphones/ talk of different worlds/ protagonist in every day clothing from this era suggest some sort of story implications.

Mufc1427

Kamiya's action games are incredible, but I love Okami. So I'm not apposed to slower style game from him. I'm hoping to see some good Dragon customization/ leveling, or maybe even other Dragons to choose from.
You can choose different type of dragons, customized and evolved them.

DxGonzalo

Neo Member
For my first time seeing gameplay, I thought it was exciting and it looks like the perfect type of exclusive that xbox needs imo. I know the frame rate isn't optimal but it will improve. The co-op has a lot of potential as long as they properly put the time in to make it work.

Alienous

The only thing I dug about the demonstration was having the background music in the game tied to the character's headphones.

Everything else was "Right, ok".

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
In the trailer you can see one person has a Pug-like dragon.

I don't want it to stop there. I want to be able to scan in my Corgi and have it roam around fighting monsters will be. I shall call him Baxter the Destroyer and maybe he can chew up some bad guys and not my goddamn dress shoes.

Alx

I wasn't entirely convinced by the gameplay at first (it looked "good not great"), but thinking about the fact that it should be more PSO than Bayonetta makes me excited again. It should be all about the choice of weapons, abilities and dragons after all.
And if feeding the dragon feels as rewarding as feeding the mag in PSO, it could be really great.

Were all the framerate complaints from folks watching the conference? I noticed that the IGN Youtube videos were much, much smoother than the choppy conference feed.

Illucio

Banned
I wasn't entirely convinced by the gameplay at first (it looked "good not great"), but thinking about the fact that it should be more PSO than Bayonetta makes me excited again. It should be all about the choice of weapons, abilities and dragons after all.
And if feeding the dragon feels as rewarding as feeding the mag in PSO, it could be really great.

To me the game needs a more Male-Version Bayonetta thrown into the mix in terms of stylish combat, the Dragon's AI needs substance (like the entire game so far, they need to innovate heavily on the game's mechanics (tethering, riding monsters, transformations, ect.) I really want a tweaked design to the main character, give him a accent or something, make him less focus group-looking he needs some more imagination thrown into the mix, a more unique possibility.

There is so much they can do here...

rhandino

Banned
To me the game needs a more Male-Version Bayonetta thrown into the mix in terms of stylish combat, the Dragon's AI needs substance (like the entire game so far, they need to innovate heavily on the game's mechanics (tethering, riding monsters, transformations, ect.) I really want a tweaked design to the main character, give him a accent or something, make him less focus group-looking he needs some more imagination thrown into the mix, a more unique possibility.

There is so much they can do here...
Focus tested? From Kamiya? The one that has that funny annecdote about that time that they brought kids to focus test the designs of Viewtifull Joe...

They were just trashing the game, so I just got pissed off and said I'm not changing anything.

Fasty

This is nuts. Microsoft are killing it. They're really making it difficult for those of us yet to make the leap to next (current) gen to decide which console to buy.

Golnei

Focus tested? From Kamiya? The one that has that funny annecdote about that time that they brought kids to focus test the designs of Viewtifull Joe...

The disparity with his prior work is the problem - Joe, Amaterasu, Bayonetta and Wonder-Red were very distinctive, while this character appears fairly stock and charmless. It does seem like something created to 'not be hated', a sort of diluted design. Maybe it's a side-effect of the emphasis on customisation?

Alx

Heh, just noticed that in the multiplayer part of the trailer, the name of the players were PG Kamiya and P3 (Phil Spencer's gamertag). :)

Illucio

Banned

I'm not saying the character was focus-tested, but that's the impression the character's design looks to me. :/

Alx

The character design doesn't seem that different from previous Kamiya/Platinum creations, we're in the same trend as Dante or Bayonetta, with extrovert characters with modern accessories and a big mouth.

The character design doesn't seem that different from previous Kamiya/Platinum creations, we're in the same trend as Dante or Bayonetta, with extrovert characters with modern accessories and a big mouth.

Actually I don't think so, they used to do better imho.
This guy has not even half the charm of bayonetta.

But I guess it's the some kind of super safe design choice.

blakep267

Honestly, I don't mind the character and the music. That stuff in games really doesn't bother me like it does others. I just want s better running animation.

rhandino

Banned
The disparity with his prior work is the problem - Joe, Amaterasu, Bayonetta and Wonder-Red were very distinctive, while this character appears fairly stock and charmless. It does seem like something created to 'not be hated', a sort of diluted design. Maybe it's a side-effect of the emphasis on customisation?

I'm not saying the character was focus-tested, but that's the impression the character's design looks to me. :/
idk, imho that character, from the personality to the clothes he is wearing in the trailer, looks very "Kamiya". Maybe is bothering people because he seems like a distillation of things that are cool and trendy rn?

I was going to complain about the grass draw distance but I guess if they addressed my complaint the framerate would be even worse!

Golnei

idk, imho that character, from the personality to the clothes he is wearing in the trailer, looks very "Kamiya". Maybe is bothering people because he seems like a distillation of things that are cool and trendy rn?

I don't really have any problem with the individual elements themselves - the idea of the the personality/dialogue, modern-ish clothes and focus on the headphones could easily be combined to create something interesting - but the end result of that distillation just doesn't seem particularly distinct. Compare Scalebound's lead to the protagonists of every other Kamiya-directed game, and it's apparent that he's nowhere near as memorable.

1998-resident_evil_2.png
Devil_May_Cry_Art_02.jpg
ViewtifulJoe.jpg
41116-okami.jpg
latest
the_wonderful_101-1-1.jpg

CLk6XoAUsAExX9j.jpg

Leon and Dante sort of come close, and admittedly they don't have as unique a concept as Amaterasu and Bayonetta, but their colour schemes and silhouettes are, while simple, still distinctive enough to maintain the character Scalebound's lead lacks.

tbd

Those insect enemies look incredibly good and movie CGIsh. Make Endregas look like something from PS360. Let's hope for constant 30 FPS in the final game.

So glad Kamiya finally does something with exploration and open areas again. Hopefully there also is some platforming and puzzles, Scalebound could be the closest a Kamiya game will ever get to a spiritual Okami 2 after all.

correojon

The lead looks like a mix of Donte and Nero, not liking him much. The combat either doesn´t look like what I was expecting from a Platinum game, it seems to be too slow.

It looks like what you would expect if you gave MS creative power over a Platinum game: tone down the combat to make it more accessible for everyone and use a generic white bro as lead character to appeal to the wider audience. Look what we got when the same thing happened with Nintendo: colorful game with awesome but complicated mechanics, substance over looks. This may be MS´s W101 (I´m not saying that it´ll bomb).

Of course this is just an opinion based on a short demo, I´m sure the game will offer much more than what´s been shown.

Golnei

Indeed. Bayonetta was something special. Character-wise, I think Bayo was Kamiya's Magnum Opus.

I think Amaterasu could also qualify for the best-designed protagonist in a Kamiya game. Her silhouette is instantly recognisable (the embellished wing shapes and reflector trailing flame in particular make it stand out) and the white/red colour scheme is minimalistic but really effective.

Ushiwaka

I think Amaterasu could also qualify for the best-designed protagonist in a Kamiya game. Her silhouette is instantly recognisable (the embellished wing shapes and reflector trailing flame in particular make it stand out) and the white/red colour scheme is minimalistic but really effective.

Oh yeah Amaterasu too. Okami is something else :p Both Bayo and Amaterasu have pretty unique character designs and personalities (Amy is a wolf, I know, but she's awesome :D)

jRPG

I think this has catapulted to the top of my most anticipated games list. It has so many Platinum hallmarks, but it's also a genre I've wanted to see Platinum tackle. I get so many vibes, Dragon's Dogma, Xenoblade, Ys, Kingdoms Of Amalur, etc, etc. I hope Platinum have been given the budget to build a sizeable enough world to pull this game off. It looks like they have.

Watching that extended IGN video I was thinking how this looks almost how I was expecting Cry On to look. Curious if anyone remembers that Cry On art with the guy in the forest and a massive beast behind him. Watching this game reminded me of that.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of X with a different combat system! Would love to try it!

Zomba13

I like it. The protagonist looks fine, kinda like DmC Dante but with a more classic Dante/Nero attitude that finds the fun in fighting stuff instead of getting all "fuck you, fuck the government, fuck corporations". I really like the arm, I'm a fan of one arm armoured/mutated/one shoulderpad stuff. I also really like the headphones, gives a reason for there to be battle music, shows some of the guys personality with his battle music choices and is just a cool thing. I would ideally like it if we could choose our own music from the system (I dunno how Xbone handles music) or a list in the game, Like normal battle, boss battle, "epic" moment etc as another layer of customisation.

Looks like there is plenty of that going by the multiplayer tease and all the Drew's jumping in with different weapons and armour.

oti

Banned
Protagonist looks all right to me. Design is generic but I enjoy his attitude.

AND HE'S A LEFTY, PROTAGONIST OF THE YEAR
LEFTIES LEFTIES LEFTIES

Alot of people dont like the protagonist, myself included. But its probably because we live in an age of bayonetta, or mega bad asses like the chief and kratos Gods like Asura, lovable heroes like Ellie and Nathan. I think anyone would look average compared to some of the AAA franchise heroes we have grown used to.

Man the chief has that epic voice, that guy gets to go home and narrate his life in a voice on par with Morgan Freeman.

Top Bottom