• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.

klee123

Looks pretty good. The interactions with your pet dragon are the most fun looking parts for me.

Although, not a huge fan of the main character's design and combat looks a bit slow.

That said it's early, so will reserve my judgement.

What if the character they showed wasnt the main character at all but you have a choice of customizing your hero.

And through the game you have the ability yo get new dragons or train your first one.

Choices. Choices. Choices. Choices. Choices. Choices. What if...

Reedirect

I hope this is very early because it left me mostly unimpressed. The main character is alright in my book, but the combat looks pretty uninspired for Platinum at the moment.

TheOasis

Overall, I like what i see.

I think the combat has the potential to have a lot of depth and, going by their previous works, Kamiya and Platinum definitely deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks pretty badass and definitely one of the more interesting exclusives on the XB1. Just hoping they can iron out the framerate and add some more polish as the game gets closer to release.

Even if its not on the particular horse I backed this gen, it's always a pleasure seeing more Japanese console games.

Zambayoshi

Reminds me a bit of FFXIII in terms of the scenery. I'd consider getting an XBox One for this game if the main character weren't so detestable. He comes off as whiny, arrogant and 'bro'-ish.

The monster on monster combat looked pretty cool, but the mook combat did not. Protagonist versus monster looked... OK, but I've never really had a thing for Monster Hunter. I did enjoy Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen though.

I won't comment on the frame rate because I don't really pick up stuff like that, but I guess that optimization will be high on the priority list going forward.

Overall, looks interesting but hasn't hooked me.

Jonm1010

Banned
That main character is awful. It is like they managed to mix every stereotype from gaming I hate in the past decade into one character.

Other then that though the game looks interesting.

tuxfool

Banned
Damn, that's an impressive game considering the time period. It seemed to do well, I can't believe I never heard of it.

Drakan didn't do all that well.

It was a very neat concept, and a bit janky and PC only (there is no way the consoles at the time would be capable of running this game). It got a less good sequel if I remember correctly on PS2 only (where the fanbase wasn't), because Psygnosis had been bought out by Sony. The developer (Surreal) would eventually be merged into Monolith.

The fact that this doesn't look like a typical Platinum game is what has me most excited for it.

Main character looks really bad, i hope you can customize it... he looks generic as hell. Game looks sweet though.
Yeah, it's really just his appearance I'm not a fan of. If I can change the outfit and give him some luscious locks, I'd be good to go. I'm hoping there's armor and stuff in the game too.

Skux

- World looks stunning

- That running animation is so awkward

- That framerate does not befit a Platinum game :(

Shenmue

Banned
Somewhat disappointed by this. Looks like a prettier Drakengard without the weirdness. It's still early though and I know Platinum will release a quality product!

Man bunch of jaded cynics on the first few pages. Just because its Kamiya and Plat doesnt mean they have to make it yet another fast paced 3rd person slasher.

I liked pretty much everything I saw, CO-OP sounds amazing in a gen devoid of it, its beautiful and has a sense of personality.

Give it some time.

I don't get the hate. Of course an overpowered character fighting a bunch of goons is not going to look challenging or anything. Kamiya could overuse the dragon's powers and simply mash buttons to beat the enemies.

Fighting is slower, but it could be pretty awesome if it gets more technical. I think being slower allows for more tactical combat in tandem with the dragon. Fixing the character to a specific point, then slinging to it and cutting it off from the bigger, shelled enemy was great. I can see how they might use targeting specific weak points as an extra layer of difficulty to beating a bigger enemy. Maybe you can even target specific parts with the dragon.

Framerate isn't good, but that might mean they are not showing a vertical slice, but the actual game in its current state. There is more than a year to fix it. No fucking way Platinum is going to keep it like that. That is a very silly concern.

Oh, and the character being an ass isn't very off-putting to me. I mean, he is a young dude who uses a dragon to kill armoured dudes. Of course he is an ass. It fits the tone of the game and the gameplay perfectly.

Wasn't it known it would be more of an RPG? Did people expect open world Vanquish or something? I think it looks great for what it is and, if they can keep the environments varied and escalate the combat encounters (and this is Platinum - they probably will), this can end up being a gem of a game.

Did nobody post the Youtube version of the IGN extended demo? It looks way better than the conference version, and it's on a video player that is not garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR4c3wsFsMM

This new youtube player seems to be a lot better than the previous one for me. Finally.

ShogunX

Watching the end of the video again and it looks like character customisation is in. P2 arrives in a lighter jacket with a white top underneath wielding a big ass spear, P3 arrives in a yellow top wielding Cloud's sword from FF7.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Looks really bad on mobile. I'll need to go to my desktop I guess.

The headphones are weird. Why would you cut out sound when fighting?

Why did almost everyone choose to ignore the fact that when the MC meets the hydra the characters that arrive wear different clothes and wield different weapons? To me that's the indication that the game will allow you to customize your MC, the biggest question would be how much can I customize my MC: would it be like Xenoblade's character creator or something like Dragon's Dogma where you can create an old Arisen, a fat lady or a small kid?

I don't get the hate. Of course an overpowered character fighting a bunch of goons is not going to look challenging or anything. Kamiya could overuse the dragon's powers and simply mash buttons to beat the enemies.

Fighting is slower, but it could be pretty awesome if it gets more technical. I think being slower allows for more tactical combat in tandem with the dragon. Fixing the character to a specific point, then slinging to it and cutting it off from the bigger, shelled enemy was great. I can see how they might use targeting specific weak points as an extra layer of difficulty to beating a bigger enemy. Maybe you can even target specific parts with the dragon.

Framerate isn't good, but that might mean they are not showing a vertical slice, but the actual game in its current state. There is more than a year to fix it. No fucking way Platinum is going to keep it like that. That is a very silly concern.

Wasn't it known it would be more of an RPG? Did people expect open world Vanquish or something? I think it looks great for what it is and, if they can keep the environments varied and escalate the combat encounters (and this is Platinum - they probably will), this can end up being a gem of a game.

This new youtube player seems to be a lot better than the previous one for me. Finally.

100% agreed. Holiday 2016 is a long time, I a lot of things will probably change and obviously optimization will happen. It's not like the game is coming out 3 months from now. We have a long wait.

Kamiya is not a fool and I'm not concerned. Game is looking great (aside from the run animation lol) so far and considering all the attention its getting, this is gonna be huge X1 title.

Watching the end of the video again and it looks like character customisation is in. P2 arrives in a lighter jacket with a white top underneath wielding a big ass spear, P3 arrives in a yellow top wielding Cloud's sword from FF7.

I just hope it's independent of dragon customization (which we also know to be in).

Watching the footage again I really like how vibrant everything looks. That grass sure is green.

I wonder if the protagonist being left-handed is a reference to Zelda?

ShogunX

Size of that motherfucking sword!

vln5NNS.jpg

Classic Spear.

Mpez50D.jpg

I thought it looked pretty good. Don't get the headphones, but who know, maybe they're explained. Interaction with the dragon and the more open world looks pretty cool. I don't get the criticism of the main character, but to each his own.

I just hope I can create my own character and dragon. Everything else looks good enough.

Yes, you can customize your dragon, there are different dragon types you can choose from and I would assume you can with your characters consider the players that joined look different.

I saw an article on xboxwire I think.

Looks really bad on mobile. I'll need to go to my desktop I guess.

The headphones are weird. Why would you cut out sound when fighting?

Game looks great...I wouldn't judge on mobile. Also, why question about fighting with headphones with a guy that rides a dragon and has a dragon arm and scale armor? I don't think realism is the end game here ;-)

213372bu

Banned
Am I the only one who thought it didn't look like it plays good?

It looks like a majority of the combat is telling the dragon to do something while you fight enemies.

It lacks the key things that makes Platinum games so special IMO.

I don't know why they released the gameplay if it looks/runs so bad in a charm-less environment. They shoulda let this one cook in the oven a bit more.

Will watch the other trailers tho.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yes, you can customize your dragon, there are different dragon types you can choose from and I would assume you can with your characters consider the players that joined look different.

I saw an article on xboxwire I think.

Game looks great...I wouldn't judge on mobile. Also, why question about fighting with headphones with a guy that rides a dragon and has a dragon arm and scale armor? I don't think realism is the end game here ;-)
Ears work the same with dragons man. Unless he can hear out of his arm

Ezalc

Doesn't really feel like a Platinum game from these trailers, this almost makes me glad. The one possible reason for me to care about an X1 and from the trailers it looks pretty but not a must own.

Neff

The Multi-Unite feature in W101 was added at the last second by Kamiya without telling anyone and they didn't have time to even really bug test it.

I doubt combat is anything close to locked.

That was a moment of last-minute inspiration (and all at PG are in agreement that it dramatically improved the game) on Kamiya's part. How often he has those, I have no idea, but he's said in the past that the moment were the game goes gold is a sobering and even sad one because the die is cast forever.

And yes, Wonderful 101 saw a huge amount of change within the space of a year.

artistically it gives me the OG xbox game vibe

you know like Brute Force and stuff.... man I felt nostalgic with how it looked

game-play wise it looks interesting I am going to keep my eye on this

Dimorphic

Not sure if it's my thing. It looks cool but Monster Hunter never grabbed me.

I'll try it for sure, but I'm not confident so far it'll be my cup of tea.

Rpgmonkey

Not what I was expecting but I kinda like it.

It's starting to build a collection of games I want so I'll probably get an Xbox when this comes out.

Kieli

Looks good to me.

MC is alright. Kinda dude-bro, but not in a jerkass way. His run animation is hilarious, though.

_Clash_

I have some concerns. The main protagonist IS annoying.

After going in with serious hype I've watched the 5min preview and was luke warm. It looks fun but the catch isn't apparent. I thought perhaps there would be aerial combat?

After re- watching the 8min trailer I am more confident that game will be good.

BUT I need to see that catch.

The 4 player co op battles could be fantastic and IF the rest of the setting comes out to be bombastic it should be a hit.

I think you can probably bind to dozens of different dragons and have a "build" around that idea or some such

Top Bottom