• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryCubed

I have a transgender friend in PA, she's definitely noticed an uptick, she posted this earlier. Loved her response.

"It is now socially acceptable to call me a "fucking tranny" at the gas station.... yay...

Still not giving up. Fuck you.... I'm still gonna sparkle bitch!"

I have a transgender friend in PA, she's definitely noticed an uptick, she posted this earlier. Loved her response.

"It is now socially acceptable to call me a "fucking tranny" at the gas station.... yay...

Still not giving up. Fuck you.... I'm still gonna sparkle bitch!"

Damn straight she will.

Morts

In my area people of color were warned to stay inside this week because there have been threats of lynching, and I live in northern California...

How is that warning given? "Hey non-whites, stay home while life goes on for the rest of us."

Police Probe Attack On College Student Wearing Hijab By Man Wearing Trump Hat In Louisiana

Also happening at that same campus:

Cw1yCCpWEAAm5F7.jpg

paolo11

Hope so. We need to now more than ever that orange buffoon is in is to protect yourself. You shouldn't have to go through this.

I know. Every individual on all color, race, sex, religious beliefs, etc should not experience this persecution.

What makes America great is unity and diversity, not division and strife.

Phu

Banned
It's not about red and blue states, but about rural and cities. If you're driving in a rural area, you're driving in Trumpland, and it doesn't really matter which state you're in. The same goes for being in a city. The division in America isn't between north and south, but city and urban. A quick look at the county based voting will show you this.

For example, bluest of blue, New York:
p13UIND.png

I urge everyone to check out the election results by county for any states you are familiar with: http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president

It's clear as day that most of the blue is city and most of the red is not.

Curufinwe

That graphic is nice, but in America a person crazy enough to harrass someone just for looking Muslim is quite likely to also have a gun in their pocket and there's no fucking way I'm risking getting shot.

Audioboxer

This will happen, but people do need to be given the benefit of the doubt in all cases and have them investigated properly.

She's a complete asshat for doing that though as it wastes time, resources and in this case drags the University through the mud in an unfounded fashion. Many who see this post online will never be updated on the story so just carry on believing it.

News check people, making up serious allegations is not a method of protest. If you want to protest get involved in a rally and get politically engaged.

Audioboxer

I imagine this is true for a lot of stories being posted here as well.

FWIW, I fully expect to see a surge of hate crimes. Why wouldnt they? A lot of fucked up people have had their fucked up views reinforced by a national mandate.

But Twitter, Tumblr and facebook posts are bullshit attention seeking nonsense most of the times. Wait for actual stories from actual sources.

I wouldn't say most of the times. However yes, on occasions people are egotistical attention craving maniacs. It feels good to have people swarm you with support and condolences. Often what happens on social media is something goes viral and gets a "million" shares and if it isn't true that is what is frustrating to see.

I would say in the wake of Trump some are losing a bit of their mental sanity, however it's not an excuse to make up false allegations, and in this instance even file a police report... As that link above states she might now get charged for filing a false report. Not worth it.

Not to mention morally it is a huge slap in the face to people who have been actual victims of assault these last few days. The last thing they want is attention, they've just been violated and abused, so you faking something for attention is despicable.

FairyD

I live in Toronto and some kid was yelling, "All hail Donald Trump, supreme leader" at me 10 minutes ago.

I'm getting scared.

Crayon

That graphic is nice, but in America a person crazy enough to harrass someone just for looking Muslim is quite likely to also have a gun in their pocket and there's no fucking way I'm risking getting shot.

Get out the way then. I'll do it.

Audioboxer

Why is "deal with the guy" not an option?

Probably trying to offer advice to diffuse a situation with minimal causality. I mean I know everyone wants to "deal with the perpetrator", but you'll find most general advice isn't going to encourage people to potentially get physically attacked.

Syder

Brexit caused a 400% rise in hate crimes in the UK and Americans are a lot less shy about their racism than we are.

Things are going to get really nasty.

R0ckman

He got off the next station

Lol, thanks for that. As well as the other responses GAF.

I see your point. I actually use to be a bully hunter (in school) and found most of them to be pathetic and quickly switch to victim mode when the scales tip. I think its obvious, the KKK targets weaker prey and hides behind police when the come out during the day for example.

Blame the media for their portrayal of Trump. While some bigoted and ignorant people are using the media's portrayal of Trump to help further their own nasty agendas, not all of his supporters such as myself encourage any of that behavior in the slightest.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Everyones true colors are showing. Didnt realize how many ignorant people i had on my social media.

Blame the media for their portrayal of Trump. While some bigoted and ignorant people are using the media's portrayal of Trump to help further their own nasty agendas, not all of his supporters such as myself encourage any of that behavior in the slightest.
5bcJAps.gif

Kinsei

Banned

Yeah, blame the media and not Trump for the things he said (Those clips weren't doctored or taken out of context) or the people that supported all of the vile shit that he said (THAT"S YOU).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This is a direct reflection of Trump's own rhetoric. The media didn't fabricate it.

Onemic

lol, dude even if you arent actively racist/sexist, you voting for him shows you dont give two fucks about the social implications for many non white/straight people living in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom