• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection hitting retail in North America (April 26th, $29.99)

How about a "We stupidly locked these games to one or two consoles in the post-Dreamcast era" collection with Sonic Colors Wii, JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, GunValkyrie, and Billy Hatcher instead?

No? Too monumentally awesome an idea for you, SEGA?

Are you kidding? Sega went through a lot of trouble for these titles. It's some of the best port work I've ever seen.

Not really. These are all excellent, detailed ports, often with multiple improvements. The Galaxy Force II port is one of the best-looking versions of the game you can play. The Fantasy Zone II port is of the incredible System-16 remake previously only found in a Japanese PS2 release.

The Sega Genesis Collection for PSP was just a basic emulation job, IIRC.

They're perfect ports with added save states, and there are way more of them. I don't see how these ports could be much better. And can you really have the "best-looking version" of anything on a 3DS screen?

First post mentions it being digital, sine all other games are already available PD and PP2 are likely to be separate digital titles too.
And really you do know who made that awesome cover art don't you? Because that boxart alone is worth the price of admission.

Oh I know. It's just the sigh knowing that I've already bought most of these digitally, but I can't let Power Drift and Puyo Puyo 2 slip by. This collection has been out in Japan for a little while, with no eshop release of the aforementioned two in sight, so they might remain retail exclusive.

Aww 3DS? Oh well, nothing too interesting on here.

The Sega Genesis Collection on PSP is way better than this, and only $10.

No. The PSP Genesis Collection is low-quality quick emulation jobs by Backbone; Sega's 3D Classics on 3DS are high-quality reworkings of the original games by M2. The comparison only makes Backbone's work look worse.

And hey, Puyo Puyo in English! People should be dancing in the streets!

butman

By reading "3D" Classics Collection i wanted something like this:

Saturn pack

Dragon Force
Panzer Dragoon
Sega Rally

and so on...

or

Dreamcast pack

Sonic Adventures 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio
Virtua Fighter 3TB

and so on...

jokkir

Geeze, that Canadian pricing. RIP Canadian Dollar.

Also, I was curious. What type of announcement were you guys expecting?

They're perfect ports with added save states, and there are way more of them. I don't see how these ports could be much better. And can you really have the "best-looking version" of anything on a 3DS screen?

These ports were completely remade to benefit from steroscopic 3D. It's pretty much perfect.

bengraven

tumblr_lxvnb73bI01qcfba3o1_500.gif

So are they just not going to release the first collection at all?

Would have loved them to have a dual-pack like Japan and sell it for $40.

What's different in this version compared to the Japanese 3D Classic Archive 2?

Also the Classics line yesterday clearly pointed to this announcement as many expected.

Espiox

I already have all of the 3D Classics releases on my 3DS. Will the 4 new games be released outside of the bundle?

Buying most of the games I already have again in a collection because of the 4 I don't have is a dumb thing to do (even though the 4 I don't come up to 24 dollars if they're 6 dollar seach, as they usually are).

Having to run a bundled release digitally when I already have all the other games separated in their own cutesy folders on 3DS fires off my OCD in ways I didn't know were possible.

The Master System games almost certainly won't. They could do Power Drift and Puyo Puyo but that would probably eat into the sales of this collection. Would love it if they did though, especially in Europe.

Arkeband

Banned
lol at the reaction

this is some age divide shit. when someone says classic, how far back do you think it'd be? last gen? lol

I said this in the other thread about the Game Grumps holding up Big the Cat, apparently Dreamcast qualifies as classic.

Stevey

Hmm, already got the ones I wanted from the e-shop, but this is cool for people who want a physical release.

By reading "3D" Classics Collection i wanted something like this:

Saturn pack

Dragon Force
Panzer Dragoon
Sega Rally

and so on...

or

Dreamcast pack

Sonic Adventures 1 & 2
Shenmue 1 & 2
Jet Set Radio
Virtua Fighter 3TB

and so on...

They're 3D Classics not because the original games were 3D, but because M2 has taken the original 2D games and reprogrammed them to render in 3D to take advantage of the 3DS screen.

These ports have often gone in and re-added 60 FPS to previously 30 FPS arcade games, such as Outrun (not in this compilation) and Galaxy Force II. They added a number of viewing modes, such as ones that expand the viewing field as opposed to simply upscaling. They've added a multitude of options to these games. In some cases, new music and modes (Outrun). And the story behind Fantasy Zone II, where they went back and rewrote the game as the System-16 title it always deserved to be, is pretty remarkable.

These are truly excellent ports of the games by a team who truly loves classic arcade games. This isn't a simple emulation job.

And the 3DS resolution is more than adequate for these games, so yes, you can have the "best-looking version" of Galaxy Force II on a 3DS screen, in *3D*.

Damn, I would have gladly bought a solo Puyo Puyo outside of the collection. Good deal for people who have yet to play one of the classics, think they should have added Outrun to really blow people away.

Refyref

Yes! It has the Master System games! I need the first collection as well, though, for its upgraded Space Harrier and the Master System games in it.

Camjo-Z

I only own 3D Sonic and Galaxy Force II, so I'm definitely picking this up. Heck, Power Drift alone would have made it worth it for me.

What the hell is wrong with you people? This is a goddamn amazing collection.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would be disappointed with these. I mean even if you own all the 3D Classics there's still 4 new games here.

No. The PSP Genesis Collection is low-quality quick emulation jobs by Backbone; Sega's 3D Classics on 3DS are high-quality reworkings of the original games by M2. The comparison only makes Backbone's work look worse.

And hey, Puyo Puyo in English! People should be dancing in the streets!

I agree, M2 >>> Backbone Entertainment.

Now if only Sega would port over everything that M2 has already done with the Sega Vintage Collection on PS3, Xbox 360, & 3DS (as well as the individual games that they've done on 3DS altogether) onto one Blu-Ray disc for Xbox One & PS4 though, it would be great.

So are they just not going to release the first collection at all?

Would have loved them to have a dual-pack like Japan and sell it for $40.

What's different in this version compared to the Japanese 3D Classic Archive 2?

Also the Classics line yesterday clearly pointed to this announcement as many expected.

language :p

I only own 3D Sonic and Galaxy Force II, so I'm definitely picking this up. Heck, Power Drift alone would have made it worth it for me.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would be disappointed with these. I mean even if you own all the 3D Classics there's still 4 new games here.

The people complaining probably just don't know what the 3D Classics series is, which is a shame because everyone should know what they are.

Top Bottom