• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seinfeld is the Unfunniest Sitcom of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris121580

Not even going to bother reading through these 13 pages because I'm sure it's a train wreck but for me it's my favorite comedy television show of all time and I also think it's one of the smartest shows to ever be on television. So many times things happening in real life can be related to things that happened on the show. I've seen every episode so many times I've lost count and the show will never get old to me.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out the blooper reels on youtube, they're hilarious

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Seinfeld is awesome! OP was definitely trolling IMO. Ok now, not to derail but, I love 'Everbody loves Raymond' however I absolutely cannot stand Raymond he comes across as such a mealy mouthed sniveling whiny weasel.

LCfiner

At least the OP got an appropriate tag for all this.

Seinfeld has always been great. I don’t think I could trust anyone who didn’t think it was funny at least some of the time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How is that funny? Because they keep repeating permutations of the word "chucker" at a fast pace? Because it's funny how they're saying it? Is chucking the ball hilarious? I don't get it.

Since you need the joke explained to you:
- George has an undesirable personal quality that he lacks self-awareness about. It's being brought up in such a way that makes him feel defensive and self conscious. He turns to Kramer for support, but Kramer confirms Jerry's initial assertion. You could replace "chucking the ball" with literally anything negative. We have all experienced this moment. This is one of the tenets of "observational humour", a style Seinfeld is known for. The audience member draws a parallel between the situation on the screen and their own situation. Although this is a common situation, it is rarely spoken about, and so by speaking about it to an audience, it forces an examination of ourselves.

- The fact that the specific thing being discussed is irrelevant adds a layer of farce to the original observation.

- There's also a commentary being made on how people create these domains of specific knowledge. Like, no one learns that there's such a thing called "a chucker", but evidently people think about this situation enough that they come up with a little term to refer to the thing. All three of them know what he's talking about and accept the word, despite the fact that he just invented the word off the top of his head. In many cases, observational humour works not just because of how it makes us reflect, but because it provides us a lens through which we can better express feelings we already had. In this case, the lens is the word "chucker", which describes something we know about but didn't previously have a word for.

- There is verbal humour involving the word salad the characters are speaking. By repeating words quickly, it evokes tongue twisters or riddles. It's humourous to watch the actors speak in such a way just as it would be in real life. Either because they are seemingly unaware they are saying the same word over and over again (again, observational humour about a lack of self awareness) or because they are aware, but are unable or unwilling to desist.

Regular human beings, by the way, don't need this explanation, because the joke is so self-evident and the themes it's touching are so obviously ingrained into basic human behaviour. It's not the funniest joke in the world, or in the series, or probably even in the episode, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to be qualified to figure out what the joke is.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm ashamed that two of my .gifs were used in the front page of this thread.

WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!

ido

Greatest show in the history of ever.

I have the complete set and watch it every night while going to sleep. I've probably watched the entire series 100 times over.

Not one serious episode ever. I fucking love it.

It warms my heart to see Seinfeld defended so vigorously here. I love all of you.

OP: smh

TUSR

Banned
Greatest show in the history of ever.

I have the complete set and watch it every night while going to sleep. I've probably watched the entire series 100 times over.

Not one serious episode ever. I fucking love it.

It warms my heart to see Seinfeld defended so vigorously here. I love all of you.

OP: smh

Lets not get carried away here.

There's people that DON'T like Seinfeld? The world just became a darker place to me now.

People also dislike America. Are you surprised?

tj hazuki

bitch please.
tumblr_m7bojgvb3y1raqyaio1_500.gif

Seinfeld is the only sitcom i can watch for days without ever not laughing.

Clydefrog

probably the only thing I don't love about Seinfeld is Sue Ellen Mischke. she wasn't hot at all! in no way would I consider her the braless wonder

buhdeh

Since you need the joke explained to you:
- George has an undesirable personal quality that he lacks self-awareness about. It's being brought up in such a way that makes him feel defensive and self conscious. He turns to Kramer for support, but Kramer confirms Jerry's initial assertion. You could replace "chucking the ball" with literally anything negative. We have all experienced this moment. This is one of the tenets of "observational humour", a style Seinfeld is known for. The audience member draws a parallel between the situation on the screen and their own situation. Although this is a common situation, it is rarely spoken about, and so by speaking about it to an audience, it forces an examination of ourselves.

- The fact that the specific thing being discussed is irrelevant adds a layer of farce to the original observation.

- There's also a commentary being made on how people create these domains of specific knowledge. Like, no one learns that there's such a thing called "a chucker", but evidently people think about this situation enough that they come up with a little term to refer to the thing. All three of them know what he's talking about and accept the word, despite the fact that he just invented the word off the top of his head. In many cases, observational humour works not just because of how it makes us reflect, but because it provides us a lens through which we can better express feelings we already had. In this case, the lens is the word "chucker", which describes something we know about but didn't previously have a word for.

- There is verbal humour involving the word salad the characters are speaking. By repeating words quickly, it evokes tongue twisters or riddles. It's humourous to watch the actors speak in such a way just as it would be in real life. Either because they are seemingly unaware they are saying the same word over and over again (again, observational humour about a lack of self awareness) or because they are aware, but are unable or unwilling to desist.

Regular human beings, by the way, don't need this explanation, because the joke is so self-evident and the themes it's touching are so obviously ingrained into basic human behaviour. It's not the funniest joke in the world, or in the series, or probably even in the episode, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to be qualified to figure out what the joke is.

I am saddened that this post needs to exist.

therapist

The fuck?

Seinfeld is still hilarious , aside from season 1.

Also , Curb is great , but seinfeld is better. I dont see how you can like one and not the other personally.

Pakkidis

I can understand that maybe, MAYBE some people don't find Sienfeld funny, however their is no god damn way that Two and Half men is funnier than Sienfeld and I have to question anybody's opinion who says that. :)

I am saddened that this post needs to exist.

The chucker joke is actually mildly funny. The others OP quoted, not so much. Okay, so Seinfeld is exposing the ridiculous logic in people getting numbers and not calling. And we're supposed to relate, and I do to some degree. But he just sits there whining about it on and on and I just can't really relate to people who do nothing but whine and it's not funny and it doesn't make me laugh in agreement.

LCfiner

The chucker joke is actually mildly funny. The others OP quoted, not so much. Okay, so Seinfeld is exposing the ridiculous logic in people getting numbers and not calling. And we're supposed to relate, and I do to some degree. But he just sits there whining about it on and on and I just can't really relate to people who do nothing but whine and it's not funny and it doesn't make me laugh in agreement.

The humor is in the gender reversal.

Mudita

Neo Member
OP:
gAfdG.gif

I was in high school when Seinfeld was on. It was so much a part of pop culture at the time, we would go over to each others' houses to watch and we'd all be saying the catch phrases from that episode the next day at school...such good times. Probably spent a whole year trying to mimic the Elaine dance properly. It was so different than what we'd been seeing on sitcoms at that time. A show about nothing! Finding the humor in one awkward situation and stretching that out for the whole show, never been done before. Loved it.

I have gone back and tried to watch some 10-15 years later and finding that I don't find it nearly as funny, still funny but mostly just nostalgic. I think it's just because now it's been done a bunch more times, and in some ways it's been done better now.

I did lol at those saying that Curb is the edgier Seinfeld because at the time Seinfeld was edgy and, at least to me as sheltered as I was, seemed pretty mature, what with shrinkage and the contest and everything. Seemed downright racy to the 16 year old me who had only watch network television and no cable at this time. I'm pretty sure one of my friends had to explain to me what the contest was actually about.

I'M OUT!!!

GQman2121

Banned
I can understand that maybe, MAYBE some people don't find Sienfeld funny, however their is no god damn way that Two and Half men is funnier than Sienfeld and I have to question anybody's opinion who says that. :)

Just comparing the two almost completely invalidates the OP's opinion on anything. Maybe not completely, but they're such different programs, and different types of humor that there are little to no parallels between them at all.

And god damn I just realized how big this thread is. Touchy subject.......

Calcaneus

If you live in the US, then Seinfeld is definitely playing on some channel you have. Maybe instead of starting from the beginning, just catch it every once in a while when it airs.

That's pretty much how I got into it, seeing random episodes every once in a while until I realized I loved the show. Most sitcoms from those days don't really work in the "marathon from the beginning" way. Like, I couldn't imagine watching All in the Family or Sanford and Son like that.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.

ok i'm done posting about seinfeld because just making quotes doesn't really do much but it's the best show and if you don't think so shut up

ampere

It's CRAZY how unfunny this show is.

Just...gah. Sorry, I can't express in words how unfunny this show is. It's just terrible. Between this and Blade Runner I'm almost convinced there's something wrong with everyone from that generation

Funny that you assume something is wrong with an entire generation of people rather than accepting that you have bad taste.

Nice to see that you were tagged accordingly.

dionysus

Yaldog
You must be joking. Everybody Loves Raymond is not funny AT ALL, and the wife is the biggest bitch lead character I have ever seen in any sitcom ever. That show did more to harm relationships and marriages than any other sitcom by portraying as if her God-tier bitching was normal and to be expected in a marriage. If it were real life, Raymond would be divorcing her in the pilot episode.

If we are going to nitpick the social implications of comedies (something I wouldn't normally do), I don't see how you can possible come away blaming the wife for everything wrong in that marriage and setting a bad example for couples. Think about if you were actually married to Raymond, he is the ultimate liar. He lies about everything, no matter how inconsequential. Yes, we all do that to our spouse's from time to time but he literally never tells the truth if it even could remotely upset his wife. The show seems to want to say it is all ok because he is just preventing marital strife and he has good intentions but that is a very juvenile and self-centered view. That marriage would have been over in less than a month tops in the real world as trust would be destroyed on about day 5.

Now I am going to take off my hyper-sensitive-social-commentary hat. To critique Everybody Loves Raymond it would have been a great 6 episode show, but it is terrible over multiple seasons. Every episode is just an excuse to:
-Have Raymond lie about something inconsequential to his wife
-Have the wife play the suffering saint as well as uber bitch in reaction to Raymond's hijinks
-Make some point about crazy in-laws, hey we all got 'em
-Make some point about crazy siblings, hey we all got 'em
-Make a joke about lack of marital sex

Every episode follows that formula. To show some self awareness, you could distill all of Seinfeld to some glib statement like "every episode is just a bunch of neurotic self-absorbed characters making terrible decisions." Why did they need so many seasons? My only answer is that the writing is better, and the situations feel unique but relatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom