• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate votes to override Obama's veto of 9/11 Saudi Arabia lawsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So let me get this straight.

The Senate wanted to let people sue Saudi Arabia for allegedly backing the terrorists of 9/11.

But Obama veto'd that.

But now the Senate is gonna ignore Obama's veto?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Great now I'm gonna get sued for demanding ketchup in a Naples pizzeria.

And drone strikes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The Senate wanted to let people sue Saudi Arabia for allegedly backing the terrorists of 9/11.

But Obama veto'd that.

All of Congress, but yea.

Pagusas

Elden Member

But Obama veto'd that.

you understand how the systems works right, that there are ways to overturn a veto? Thats a legal thing for them to do. Stupid, yes, but legal.

The level of short-sightedness these people have is disturbing. They really seem to want to do us harm.

Very dangerous.

studyguy

I don't understand what this accomplishes other than tying people up in some kind of weird international litigation that will probably go nowhere? I mean it looks like the senate is just taking a hot dump on the next president as they'll likely end up with the blame for this mess.

But Obama veto'd that.

Checks and balances. Congress is allowed to move ahead despite a veto if they can get 2/3rds majority (though yes, it's stupid that they're doing it for THIS).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

But Obama veto'd that.

Yep. Now opens Americans to similar suits and was pure populist horseshit. The senate had other tools to go after SA and chose the worst one.

But Obama veto'd that.

You think they would just do what Obama says? Have you been paying attention the last 8 years?

Also, it's their constitutional right to overturn the veto.

woolley

But Obama veto'd that.

That's how checks and balances works. The President isn't all powerful as some make the position out to be.

Chase17

97 to 1 jeez

He can still veto it again right? Although I guess with such a majority the final outcome won't really change at this point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
97 to 1 jeez

He can still veto it again right? Although I guess with such a majority the final outcome won't really change at this point.

Nope. He can't veto a veto-override. Gotta hope the House isn't full of fucking morons now.

Pagusas

Elden Member
so where are people suppose to sue SA at? International court? Why exactly would SA give this any mind what so ever, they have no legal obligation to a US citizen.

97 to 1 jeez

Nope, this (along with the coming House vote) over-ride his authority and makes it law automatically he can't stop it.

My blood is boiling. Congress can't get anything done, but they can fucking get the first veto overturn in Obama's term on stupid shit like this. Fuck all of these people. Pay attention to down ballet and vote in the midterms people.

tkscz

And yet, once again, we pay more attention to whom we vote for the presidency than we do the people who have more power than the president. Pay attention to your congressman people, or we get shit like this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
so where are people suppose to sue SA at? International court? Why exactly would SA give this any mind what so ever, they have no legal obligation to a US citizen.

Worst case? This happens in a US Court and the judge allows the filers, if they win, to seize Saudi property and investments.

Saudi Arabia needs to be brought to justice for being a country that sponsors terror

no matter the geopolitical strategic interests, justice must be served

Wereroku

so which court will this be filed? UN?

American courts I assume. So the only assets they could collect would be US assets of SA.

Cool, now if only the family of 1.5 million deaths overseas as a result of the Bush invasion can find a way to sue our government.

Doubtful this will only work since these other countries have assets in the US. The other countries could sue but they couldn't recover anything.

I cant imagine how allowing foreign nationals to sue a country for the deaths of innocent civilians could possibly blow up in America's face.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is this just senators afraid of the optics of voting against this in election season? I don't understand the bipartisan agreement here.

For several weeks this summer, a handful of Republican senators including Mr. Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, blocked the bill as they worked to soften its impact.

They managed to add a provision that would allow the executive branch to halt the litigation if the executive branch proved in court that good-faith negotiations for a settlement with a nation were underway. This would preserve the executive branch’s purview over foreign policy while still giving a pathway for family members to sue.

The Senate then voted unanimously to pass the bill and send it to the House, with many lawmakers and many White House officials believing that the House would never take up the legislation. Speaker Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin has made skeptical remarks about the measure, and Representative Robert W. Goodlatte, Republican of Virginia and chairman of the House Judiciary committee, did little with it.

Then earlier this month, Mr. Ryan, who had encountered families of the Sept. 11 victims at a fund-raiser on Long Island, reversed suddently his usual position of bringing no major bill to the House floor that had not passed muster with the relevant committee, and put the bill on a fast track. The House voted hastily and overwhelmingly in favor, sending it to Mr. Obama’s desk.

This led to some of the bill’s co-sponsors to express fear that it would actually become law.

Well.

djkimothy

ok the mobile ad at the bottom of this page... LOL

my question, i always thought the veto was final. what's the legal framework that allows for the override?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
ok the mobile ad at the bottom of this page... LOL

my question, i always thought the veto was final. what's the legal framework that allows for the override?

2/3rds majority in the House and Senate. They already have the Senate and God knows the House is more than dumb enough to think this is a good idea.

Cyanity

Banned
Saudi Arabia needs to be brought to justice for being a country that sponsors terror

This is hilariously short sighted. There were better alternatives to opening the US to litigation for all of the ridiculously illegal shit we've done in the middle east since Afghanistan.

TalonJH

But Obama veto'd that.

When we say that the President isn't all powerful, we mean it. This is how the system works and it's why voting the right people in is important.

As others have explained, this opens the door for America to be brought to justice for doing things like killing innocents in drone strikes.

Although I don't understand what the consequences are, how does suing a foreign government work?

KDR_11k

Well, we've been talking about how it sucks that the west and SA are so closely allied when SA is such a shithole, right? Seems like a way for the US - SA alliance to weaken.

darscot

Damn the US is going to get some lawsuits over this one, would this not set a precedent for a shit load of people around the world to sue the US? How many tonnes of ordinance has the US dropped in the middle east over the last 20 years, I'm sure a few innocent civilians got hit. Class action lawyers are going to have a field day with this.

Is this just senators afraid of the optics of voting against this in election season? I don't understand the bipartisan agreement here.

Yes.

Harry Reid is the only one who voted no, and surprise it's because he is retiring. Anyone up for re-election wants nothing to do with this.

Garlador

... This opens up so many problems and issues.

Though I'm wondering if I, as a Native American, can now sue Europe for displacing my ancestors and moving us to Oklahoma...

Because Oklahoma sucks, ya'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom