• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

guys just remember what happened befo- ok everybodys gone bananas

ea3fc2fdf0e813e5504d5aa39d4309e3.gif

REDSLATE

I sincerely hope the Shenmue Trilogy finally gets its long-awaited conclusion; the fans deserve it.

Having said that, I recently played through Shenmue II and found it to be quite over-hyped. It wasn't bad, but simply nowhere near the masterpiece that others claimed it to be.

Nyoro SF

Looks like it might've slipped from memory, but if I recall correctly...

Sega teased Shenmue 1&2 and Skies of Arcadia HD in 2012.
Shortly after, Sega announced they were canceling all their console titles. Since then, Devil's Details (the UK company that ported Sega games to PC) dissolved in the same year, since you obviously can't port Sega console classics anywhere when Sega decides they're going to limit their console output to almost zero.

So now I'm curious if they're just going to make a Shenmue 3 and ignore an HD port of the previous titles. Or if any Shenmue is coming at all lol

Komo

Banned
#ShenmueE3

I actually just want an HD re-release for the PC so I don't have to pay up the ass for a Dreamcast copy

Xyrmellon

Hey guys I was going to make a new thread but I'll ask it here. Shenmue was before I got into gaming, so what's the deal? What is so special about it? Best I can tell is it looks like a Yakuza type game but nothing special. I'm not trolling, I would really like to understand.

Aki-at

Looks like it might've slipped from memory, but if I recall correctly...

Sega teased Shenmue 1&2 and Skies of Arcadia HD in 2012.
Shortly after, Sega announced they were canceling all their console titles. Since then, Devil's Details (the UK company that ported Sega games to PC) dissolved in the same year, since you obviously can't port Sega console classics anywhere when Sega decides they're going to limit their console output to almost zero.

So now I'm curious if they're just going to make a Shenmue 3 and ignore an HD port of the previous titles. Or if any Shenmue is coming at all lol

Then SEGA saw Valkyria Chronicles sell more units on PC than the original and thought "Damn! The people are demanding greatness again, THE DREAM MUST LIVE AGAIN!"

And thus the greatest E3 was about to begin...

I am going full hype, I can be a cynical git for the rest of the year, but I will believe FOR ONE DAY.

ZenTzen

....... Are you aware of what Shenmue is...?

yes, shenmue has its QTEs, its not however a QTE game

edit: let me elaborate, Shenmue is a mix, it has a lot of things besides the sequences where you learn moves or chase someone, or other specific scene, like the investigation aspect, the roaming, minigames, the fighting sequences, jobs, etc, its not a game where you only do QTEs for the majority of its gameplay

REDSLATE

Hey guys I was going to make a new thread but I'll ask it here. Shenmue was before I got into gaming, so what's the deal? What is so special about it? Best I can tell is it looks like a Yakuza type game but nothing special. I'm not trolling, I would really like to understand.

It's a tale of revenge, friendship, and possibly redemption (though the story is incomplete).

REDSLATE

yes, shenmue has its QTEs, its not however a QTE game

edit: let me elaborate, Shenmue is a mix, it has a lot of things besides the sequences where you learn moves or chase someone, or other specific scene, like the investigation aspect, the roaming, minigames, the fighting sequences, jobs, etc, its not a game where you only do QTEs for the majority of its gameplay

So, basically, you don't want a Telltale "game." That's understandable.

I loved shennmue 1 and 2 a LOT... But I can't see a remake doing well, were have some a long way and today's games won't put up with working on the forklift with Dylan our at a lucky hit stand, looking back that is some tedious shit.

A sequel worth more modern gameplay while sticking to the character of 1 and 2 would be most welcome... And fans want closure more than a remake.

BioFan

So buying a PS4 if true!
Hope they even have a Shenmue 3 LE PS4 console.
Love Yakuza and this will seal the deal for me. Will sell my xbox one if I HAVE TO. LoL
Please Yu Suzuki!

Blue-kun

Officially hyped for Shenmue 3 and posting in order to register this moment, so I can come and laugh at myself if nothing actually gets announced at E3.

That said, while from a sales perspective I can get the complaints about the game's systems and overall style, I do wish they kept the progression similar to how it was and still developed these really fleshed out worlds you can almost freely explore and enter anywhere. It's what set Shenmue apart, and it's what makes Shenmue the title it is.

If they start changing it around, making it more action-y, having a 'bigger' world but not as detailed and what not, I imagine the essence of it would be lost. Of course, we'd still get the story and a potentially cool game, but it wouldn't be the Shenmue 3 people wanted all along, at least not the old time fans. I mean, hell, the last disc of Shenmue 2 is one of my favourite things ever in videogames, and to put it simply it's about walking alongside a girl and chatting with her while taking in the view. There was just an undeniable charm about every little detail there that I hope they'll be able to nail down if a sequel is, in fact, in development.

Trojan X

Banned
GET READY TO BE DISAPPOINTED... everyone.

jnry6aK.gif

The internet would explode if Shenmue 3 is announced with massive investment... but it won't happen. As always.

Jomjom

Banned
"PS4 excluded"

Yup I'm sure this source and outlet are legit.

I'm sure they didn't cook this up for redirects to their site. Nope doesn't look like that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom