• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Kimppis

Excellent topic, subscribed. I got a Dreamcast in 2011 and started playing Shenmue immediately. Very unique experience and even though it had aged and was extremely slow-paced, I still very much enjoyed it somehow. And dat soundtrack. Shenmue 2 turned out to be one of my favourite games ever, absolutely amazing. It improves so much from the first one. I think many Shenmue haters have never played it, sometimes it feels like it doesn't even exist to some people. I guess it because of the release date: Xbox version bombed and no DC release in NA.

My brother is a huge Shenmue fan. I'm too but he's on a another level. He said to me the thing he wants out of this conference is closure. If the Shenmue Saga will never be completed Yu Suzuki needs to let it go and he needs to tell all the fans to let it go. He needs to stop giving hope to the fans if there's nothing concrete on the horizon.

Man... this hype. These feels. I was so close to buying a Dreamcast + VMU + VGA adapter + Shenmue + Shenmue 2 (Xbox) just a second ago. I want to replay the games, but I need to wait. I must wait. Yu will come through for me.

ViciousDS

Banned
caved today bought a dreamcast with like 9 games from Ebay and then immediately grabbed a copy of shenmue......hoping shenmue 2 isn't hard to find when I'm done with the first.

ocean

Banned
A postmortem for a game? Is this a thing?

I'd never heard of this before, what's supposed to go down? Weepy-eyed developers thanking fans and laying dreams on continued production to rest?

A postmortem for a game? Is this a thing?

I'd never heard of this before, what's supposed to go down? Weepy-eyed developers thanking fans and laying dreams on continued production to rest?

basically a discussion/look back at the game's development.

I'm just going to say this now, I'm not expecting any of sort announcement. So far it's all been speculative, nothing concrete, I'm only expecting a good presentation from both Cerny and Suzuki. IF there is an announcement, I'll certainly be hyped...and I'll eat a sailor's hat.

mattp

is it safe to assume this stream will be archived?
it's starting just as i leave work so i'm gonna miss most of it

theWB27

If Shenmue 3 gets announced then this will make me get the PS4 first....I HOPE something comes out of this. Cross some fingers.

v0rtikal

forget about Shenmue III for now guys, IF they announced anything that would be Shemue I - II HD PS4 exclusive.. ! that's why Cerny is there..

If nothing is announced, I would walk away happy hearing the man talk about his creation that gave so many of us amazing gaming experiences.

That said...
gcsfl.jpg

This is the problem, I was originally just looking forward to hearing about the making of Shenmue 1 but those stupid little whispers of hope kept crawling in and now I'm going to be sitting here later probably not enjoying the postmortem as much as I want to because I'll be waiting for some announcement that most likely will never come.

Synth

No disappointment if you just be grateful for a postmortem and don't expect anything else.

Even with more realistic expectations (I'm not quite as insane as I allow myself to appear in this thread), I'd still rather just discuss it here with other fans of the game, than sift through all the "who needs Shenmue anyway? Yakuza is better.. let it go" posts that seem to be absolutely essential to every other Shenmue thread ever.

I like it here. :p

theWB27

It's been awhile...but this must've been what Christmas felt like as a kid before you knew if you got what you've been asking for for so long....T-minus 1 hour

I absolutely loved how enjoyable and immersive Shenmue 1 and 2 were. It was the ideal game to come home and get lost in, and inspired me to explore my own world a little deeper. At some point I'll be back here to elaborate on why Shenmue was so important to me as a few sentences can't ever do it justice. No game since has had quite the same affect.

With or without any new announcements I'll enjoy hearing Yu Suzuki talk about his unfinished masterpiece. I won't get my hopes up, but I'll be cheering with the rest of you ifthey surprise us with either Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, and/or , Shenmue 3.

ajim

Guys, I called into work late to watch this. It will stream 8am Melbourne time and I said I won't be in until 12 because I'm not feeling too flash.

If something is announced on PS4, I'll go buy one today lol.

Top Bottom