• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) returns to scifi with Space Dandy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Wake me up when they make another Chinese Electric Batman. Sequel, reboot, spinoff, movie just whatever.

Blader

Fuuuck yeah! I was just thinking the other day about if Watanabe would ever do another series - he's had some crazy gaps in between shows and Kids on the Slope really didn't do it for me. Can't wait for this.

Daft_Cat

Bones. Dai Sato. Shinchiro Watanabe. Cowboy Champleureka Seven. That sounds like an amazing dream team.

...So why aren't the designs and the concept doing much for me? Ah well, expect the unexpected from these guys, I guess.

Edit:

That aesthetic deserves a funky Daft Punk-esque soundtrack.

Blader

Keiko Nobumoto writing again is a far bigger deal to me. And glad to see Dai Sato finally back at Bones

Is this the first thing she's written in almost a decade? The last credit I found for her is Wolf's Rain.

But yeah, her + Dai Sato are one hell of a writing duo.

Hagi

I want some cast details pronto. Also a promo please. This and Kill La Kill makes me a happy anime fan. Now i just need Tomino to hurry the fuck up with whatever he is working on.

Sweet.

I still hope one day he'll do a reboot of CB in the vein of FMA Brotherhood.

eeGFoar.gif

Kazzy

I wasn't particularly feeling any of the character designs, but seeing all that in motion (there's a boob joke in there somewhere), I'm really liking what I see! It also helps that it looks extremely colorful and vibrant, which makes me realize that we don't get nearly enough of that.

7Th

Another sci-fi show with a "cool male dude" lead and poorly dressed female characters that only exist for sex appeal? I liked it better when it was called Space Adventure Cobra; grow up, Watanabe.

Day one.

Jarmel

Banned
So yea I saw the PV. No CGI spaceships in this joint. Anyway it's very retro. They didn't show many sakuga moments but they did have a few action sequences in there. Dandy seems like Andy from the TV show in Cowboy Bebop. The tone is obviously pretty silly but it also doesn't appear to be nonsensical. The tone is closer to mature it looks like. It's a very vibrant show colors wise.

Also disappointed that nobody got pictures of the Twileks.

BluWacky

Well I like the aliens designs, but I hope it won't be full of dull action scenes.

Did you think the action sequences in that PV were dull? I thought they looked pretty fantastic - or is it just action scenes in general that don't do it for you?

I wasn't particularly feeling any of the character designs, but seeing all that in motion (there's a boob joke in there somewhere), I'm really liking what I see! It also helps that it looks extremely colorful and vibrant, which makes me realize that we don't get nearly enough of that.

Uchouten Kazoku airing right now is extremely colorful and vibrant. You should be watching that!

But yes, this has a retro-future sci-fi aesthetic that you don't really see anywhere anymore. I especially love all the varied alien designs. You can tell they're having so much fun making it.

Hagi

I like that he's taking alien relations to new heights. I noticed two or three different species he's seemingly banged.

BluWacky

Music's fineeeeeee. I really like Watanabe's work with the sound design and music so I'm not worried on that.

If I were a gambling man, based on that first piece of jazz that opens the trailer Kanno must be involved somewhere along the way.

duckroll

Pulp 70s style scifi adventure comedy is something we really don't see anywhere anymore, period. This isn't even Futurama, it's Flash Gordon era stuff. Really didn't expect them to go this far, but it's really great to see talented people take something which was popular a long time ago, and do something original with it again. <3

equap

Banned
At his first Q&A session at Otakon 2013 today, Watanabe officially announced his long rumored/leaked TV series - Space Dandy. It will air in Japan starting in January 2014, and they're aggressively trying to sell the show internationally.

It is a crazy scifi comedy action series which he describes as "Mushroom Samba every week". The story is set in the far future, following Dandy - the dandiest guy in the galaxy - and his crew of alien hunters as they discover strange new worlds and look for unknown alien races.

Watanabe says they want to create an oldschool scifi adventure show with lots of new elements as well, and they want it to feel really epic. There will be a ton of variety and new aliens every week. They already have over 100 designs.

TRAILER: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12xcgm_trim-n9i0ym

Source for news and trailer: https://twitter.com/linkington (Thanks!)
Source for photos: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...veals-space-dandy-comedy-tv-anime#gallery_top
jacknicholsonyesogy6b.gif

In short, we should all be very excited.

Mature
(Today, 10:42 AM)
image.php

heh.

Anyway, when I first learned about CB back in the day, I wasn't terribly sold on the look or idea, and then the reality was amazing, so I'm going to hope (/assume) the same will work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom