• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop) returns to scifi with Space Dandy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Is this the first thing she's written in almost a decade? The last credit I found for her is Wolf's Rain.

But yeah, her + Dai Sato are one hell of a writing duo.
She wrote an episode of Samurai Champloo

But that was 10 years ago either way

Pulp 70s style scifi adventure comedy is something we really don't see anywhere anymore, period. This isn't even Futurama, it's Flash Gordon era stuff. Really didn't expect them to go this far, but it's really great to see talented people take something which was popular a long time ago, and do something original with it again. <3
Well, this is basically Cobra but more self-conscious. The humor in that series was related to how ridiculous things could get with the protagonist keeping a straight face; here, Watanabe's probably pulling something different, like character development or whatever.

Whatever happens, I just hope this is a consistently humorous, thrilling genre series that nails everything it sets out to do. If so, anime is saved.

"Yeah, Dandy~
&#8212;He's a dandy guy..."

This is relevant to my interests! I don't follow anime regularly, but i'm willing to give anything Watanabe does a chance. Looks and sounds fun. I'm going to celebrate this by watching some Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray tonight.

Darker than Black was such a long time ago..I heard Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was good.

Jinsei Best Ten is the last good production Bones did. It's also the last production Bones did (came out earlier this year).

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 was not really good, but Kinema Citrus, who handled the animation production for Bones on it, has since gone on to better things.

"every episode is Mushroom Samba" is a little worrying for me. Part of the joy of that episode (and a few others) is that they come out of nowhere and are tonally completely different. That change of pace makes them stand out.

I'll be cautiously optimistic though because Watanabe!

DarkKyo

The main character reminds me of Andy, my favorite Bebop character. So good.

zR8lusL.png

duckroll

"every episode is Mushroom Samba" is a little worrying for me. Part of the joy of that episode (and a few others) is that they come out of nowhere and are tonally completely different. That change of pace makes them stand out.

I think what he means is that instead of Cowboy Bebop's general tone and structure which was fairly serious, Space Dandy is meant to be a crazy wacky adventure where anything goes. It's probably going to be episodic like Bebop, with episodes which are tonally different from the norm, but on a whole the series will be wacky instead of a serious thriller.

I think what he means is that instead of Cowboy Bebop's general tone and structure which was fairly serious, Space Dandy is meant to be a crazy wacky adventure where anything goes. It's probably going to be episodic like Bebop, with episodes which are tonally different from the norm, but on a whole the series will be wacky instead of a serious thriller.

Sure, I'm just much less interested in something that is constantly wacky. In general, I find a lot of humor from Japan to not really be to my tastes. So one or two wacky episodes is a breath of fresh air. Every episode being wacky might get old.

We'll see though. Like I said, cautiously optimistic.

DarkKyo

Your post reminds me of this champloo episode(cosmic collisions).

qzSyxhh.jpg

Sure, I'm just much less interested in something that is constantly wacky.

Watanabe will find the right balance, don't worry.

Caesnd

Looks like we're in for a real visual spectacle, and Dandy seems like a very flamboyant character. More than likely that's not all there is to him though. I think that in the end, he will make or break this show.

BluWacky

You were impressed by miniature space battles, the many facial expressions of Dandy and closeups of breasts?

I was impressed by the interesting character designs, the amusing facial expressions, and the shot where everyone's getting swept away by the water which was pretty awesome.

I've missed your relentless negativity, Firemind :p why did you stop posting in the anime thread?

ZoddGutts

It's been a long ass time since Bones has made anything good. The staff gives me hope this will turn out good... hopefully.

Articalys

As a CMU alum, I'm laughing really hard at the ship named "Carnegie Lemon".

Anyway, show looks absolutely fantastic from a creative point of view and the staff is an all-star listing -- here's hoping they can execute on it.

If this show is going to be just as ridiculous as the PV then I'm all in. Also I really hope Yoko Kanno is doing the music. She's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom