• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledghammer: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare not coming to Wii U, Treyarch not on game

Bayonetta 2 is a collaboration between Platinum Games and Nintendo SPD who oversees the project...and, the project was completely funded by Nintendo.

Even though it's not 100% made by internal Nintendo studios...I would still call it a Nintendo game.

Nintendo costumes are going to be in Bayonetta 1, dude.

But it is not a Nintendo-created IP like DK, Mario, Zelda, etc That's what I meant. It could be founded and anything, but it is still a non-Nintendo game. And probably one of their last M rated games.

maxcriden

Huh? It will have a SP mode, and it's definitely not nonsense, it's an incredibly unique and refreshing concept with a lot of potential.

Edit: OMG max, I'm sorry I just realized what you were talking about, hadn't heard about that nonsense before posting this -_-

Pikma pls I thought we were like BFFs ;_;

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What do you want to know...that it magically sold 300K more after the holidays?

Because Call of Duty games on the Wii U drop dead after the holiday season.

The best season for software on Nintendo consoles has always been December, though.

Mlatador

Banned
I would take an Indie MP FPS build on Quake engine. Indie Wii U-dev GAF community should be on the case!

That's a pretty good idea. The Wii homebrew port of Quake has shown us how beautifully it works with pointer controls. The Indie Community really needs to step their game up when it comes to variety and stop making one Metroidvania-clone after the other, goddamnit!

MilesTeg

Banned
Wii U has a higher install base than Xbox One, but you have to wonder how many of those Wii U owners are actually buying software for the console. My guess is there are a lot of dormant consoles out there, many from the launch period where the huge drought that followed essentially killed the console.

Not sure why this is being seen as a negative...Call of Duty is old as dust at this point...

As bad as third party support has been for Nintendo, they've always gotten cod. And it's a little known secret, but cod is great on Nintendo consoles because of pointer controls. Now the Wii U has lost it's only first person shooter franchise.

Effect

In the end I expected it not to be released on the Wii U. I felt this could have been why the Nuketown and Free Fall maps were tossed out when they were.

ozfunghi

But it is not a Nintendo-created IP like DK, Mario, Zelda, etc That's what I meant. It could be founded and anything, but it is still a non-Nintendo game. And probably one of their last M rated games.

I was just making a (somewhat bad) joke about your spelling mistake "costumers" instead of "customers".

Mithos

What do you want to know...that it magically sold 300K more after the holidays?

Because Call of Duty games on the Wii U drop dead after the holiday season.

I want to know if its still 20k, or if its 30k or 50k etc. Because I SERIOUSLY DOUBT they need more the 40-50k to break even.

They did not spend that much money on the Wii U version, unless ofc you can provide proof that they did, then I'll back down.

Unofficial numbers have Ghosts Wii U at 190k world wide. So not good.

So most likely profitable then.

When COD skips your machine, you've fucked up. Shocking Treyarch isn't working on it though, as they've worked on every other COD for Nintendo basically.

Popnbake

Install base is less important than a market that will buy the game. For example, XBO and WiiU have similar install bases but the market is orders of magnitude larger on XBO.

Makes me wonder about Splatoon's shooter appeal to the Wii U base. It's an interesting new IP from Nintendo however I just can't help but feel it will be considered another Wii U gem that deserved more sales.

I want to know if its still 20k, or if its 30k or 50k etc. Because I SERIOUSLY DOUBT they need more the 40-50k to break even.

They did not spend that much money on the Wii U version, unless ofc you can provide proof that they did, then I'll back down.
It's funny that you want proof, when you have no proof yourself other than all caps of your point (talk about shifting the burden). Also, why the hell does Activision care about breaking even? That would be a total waste of time on their end, especially when there is little to no indication of any significant growth potential for them on the platform.

MilesTeg

Banned
Makes me wonder about Splatoon's shooter appeal to the Wii U base. It's an interesting new IP from Nintendo however I just can't help but feel it will be considered another Wii U gem that deserved more sales.

It might do well relative to the console, but the reality is that any game Nintendo puts out on the console isn't going to sell too great. They need to release a new box.

window-wiiu.jpg

I will hold my Wii U extra tight tonight

The difference is that it's a first party game and Nintendo will (hopefully) give it plenty of attention with directs while Activision always seemed to hide the fact that cod was on the Wii U.

You have absolutely no way of knowing the financial status or ROI of the product. Making such assertions is completely asinine.

Call of Duty on Wii U tends to sell a bit better in its first December...and then it drops like a rock when January hits.

Again, here is the list of the Call of Duty: Ghosts Wii U development team:

HT8H70z.png

There are 38 staff members dedicated completely to developing the Wii U port of Call of Duty games.

Activision might end up making a small profit on the Wii U port after ASP reductions / retailer cuts / royalty fees / development costs of having 38 people dedicated to a port...but what's the point?

They're dedicating all this time and energy to create a port...wouldn't it just be more economical to have your 38 staff members working on something that could actually make money for the company?

A sign of bad management is continuing to pursue projects that everyone knows will just end up going nowhere. 6.1 million copies sold in one month + Wii U selling 20K out of the 6.1 million...is the clearest metric that shows us how futile it is to continue pursuing port development.

It's pathetic relative to other Nintendo consoles like the Wii Call of Duty games...and it's pathetic relative to other competing platforms.

Radec

Its a friendly shooter that doesn't look like CoD at all.

Nintendo fans already liked it. It will sell good on what the WiiU userbase is.

Riky

$MSFT
This is pretty dissapointing if true, despite all its troubles the pickup that MK8 has given the machine made me think that Wii U would continue to get at least Assassins Creed and Call Of Duty at least while the 360 was still getting versions. Now it looks like neither, I purchased both Assassins Creed and both COD games on Wii U as well as other formats.

People saying the Wii U versions are better though are living in a dream world, apart from the bonus of off tv play they are inferior technically, normally in the framerate department, which is pretty important for COD.

I have no idea how much it actually costs to port these games from 360 to Wii U but if huge franchises like these aren't worth it then anything else has no hope.

Well, this isn't surprising. Nintendo just made so many mistakes with the WiiU that I can't really feel too bad for them. Games like this should be an easy catch if they didn't botch their marketing, price, demographics and hardware.

Wii U is a first party and exclusive third party games machine only.

We will not see multiplatform games on this machine with a few exceptions (Skylanders, Lego ...)

Looking at the Wii U releases for the rest of this year and the announced games for next year I am fine by that. There seems to be many high quality releases.

I think Activision & Co miss a opportunity to fill some of the gaps in the Wii U lineup (mainly shooter). Black Ops 2 sold well on Wii U and fully deserved the sales. Ghost on the other hand was a bad game that deserved his low sales too.

I have no idea how much it actually costs to port these games from 360 to Wii U but if huge franchises like these aren't worth it then anything else has no hope.

Because Call of Duty don't sell well on Wii U no game could sell well? I think the average CoD-Player plays mostly only CoD and nothing else (besides FIFA or Madden). He will of course not buy a Wii U for CoD. Rayman on the other hand sold more on Wii U than on the other consoles in spite of its difficult history (Ubisoft kicked many players who pre ordered this game for Wii U in the guts with the release postponement).

Of course Treyarch isn't working on this title - They're working on Iron Wolf (Black Ops 3). It'll star Reznov after his escape from Vorkuta.

I hate to be "that" guy, but the Wii U successor can't be far away now that it literally has no support. I mean, i know Nintendo has existed with third parties before, but I don't even think it was this bad in the gamecube era.

I hate to be "that" guy, but the Wii U successor can't be far away now that it literally has no support. I mean, i know Nintendo has existed with third parties before, but I don't even think it was this bad in the gamecube era.

I really hope they can work with devs building a new system and providing a better online infrustructure. I'd love them to have a machine like the SNES was in the early 90s, great first party and a wealth of third party stuff plus it was comparable to the competition in the hardware.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, what I've always said is that the tiny effect on their bottom line, or opportunity cost should have been seen as worthwhile for what should be a cheap port. In terms of their relationship with Nintendo and Nintendo's customers.

Could that Transformers port they crapped out recently really have cost much more than an Advanced Warfare port? And it obviously sold a lot less than AW would.

And that list of 38 employees doesn't necessarily mean much either. How do we know those 38 employees are 100% dedicated to the Wii U year round? That seems like quite an assumption to make.

It's very conceivable that nowhere near that number were full time on Wii U for a year. And many of them possibly made not much more than token contributions to Wii U specific aspects of the project.

Of course Treyarch isn't working on this title - They're working on Iron Wolf (Black Ops 3). It'll star Reznov after his escape from Vorkuta.

I wonder if there's still a tiny tiny chance of a Wii U port for next year's game. Only because Treyarch is doing it, and it's probably easier to absorb the Wii U into the process than having a team within Treyarch port a separate studio's game. Unless of course Treyarch is only doing PS4bonePC, and some other High Moon type studio is doing PS360 (I doubt they drop PS360 quite yet); they we've back to square one.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Unofficial numbers have Ghosts Wii U at 190k world wide. So not good.

I SERIOUSLY doubt it's that high. Maybe shipped.... not sell thru.

It wouldn't make any financial sense for Acti to release it on Wii U, unless Nintendo decided they want the content. I'm sure they have in the past, maybe they aren't pursuing this year or have a different strategy ::shrug::

I SERIOUSLY doubt it's that high. Maybe shipped.... not sell thru.

It wouldn't make any financial sense for Acti to release it on Wii U, unless Nintendo decided they want the content. They have in the past, maybe they don't this year ::shrug::

I agree. 190K sounds out there for worldwide sell-through.

But Nintendo seems to be willing to release more games for Wii U than for any other console before and even fund third party games like Bayonetta or Devil's Third and make new cooperations like Hyrule Warriors or Megami Tensei vs. Fire Emblem.

Microsoft and Sony will tug each other apart but Wii U is now standing on an other and fully new ground. I will be interesting to see how such a Nintendo-Only console could sell. At least the Wii U sales rise now constantly.

openrob

It would be pointless (but still great news) if they were to release it on Wii U at all now.

Similar to Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Mass Effect 3, NFS:MW, Splinter Cell, Razors Edge, Arkham Origins, etc....etc... It won't sell well because it has been hyped to hell for the other consoles.

If they revealed it tomorrow, which it's pretty certain they won't, who will be exited for it, who isn't already? And if it DID get announced do you think it would get the same treatment?

Do you expect XBoxOne/PS4 Bundles? Exclusive content? DLC? Actual marketing?

If a Wii U version was announced, would it get ANY of that? Similar to watch dogs really, it would be sent to die. A similar thing happened before with Ghosts (and most of the games mentioned above).

Mlatador

Banned

Oh c'mon. CoD is a franchise that has established 90% of their fanbase on Playstation and Xbox. People buy the version most of their friends will get (and that's PS4/Xbone). Since the franchise is getting an update almost every year, people got used to CoD being on those systems. They got used to their friends being there.

CoD will never sell well on a Nintendo console because the fanbase is somewhere else, the Wii was an exception. The Wii U successor will not come out earlier, because "OMG, CoD is not selling!".

Having CoD on the system is not enough to convince the dude-broish gamers to get a Nintendo console, so it really doesn't matter if CoD is on Wii U or not. I myself want new FPS IP's or sequels to successfull Wii shooters on Wii U to fill the FPS gab.

Strike

Sucks for Wii U owners. Hopefully they get a port of Treyarch's game next year, but once Activision decides to drop PS3/360 support that's pretty much it.

Mlatador

Banned
Sucks for Wii U owners. Hopefully they get a port of Treyarch's game next year, but once Activision decides to drop PS3/360 support that's pretty much it.

Well, it sucks for the very very few who care about, obviously, but the vast majority of them just doesn't give a fuck (like myself), so I don't think it will hurt the Wii U nor would a release help it (because even CoD newcomers would rather get in on the systems with the most players).

This does not mean Wii U owners doesn't like FPS, they are just not interested in CoD.

Top Bottom