• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

optimiss

Yes. I will not take credit for this as I read it elsewhere, however, I inserted a nickel into each end of the dock as well as one in the middle. (This widened and held the plastic in place.) During this time I applied hot air to the plastic (hair dryer), to make the plastic malleable. Eventually, the plastic expanded a bit, at which point, I changed the hair dryer to cool air (not sure if this part was necessary).

I did this several days ago, and my dock is still holding up. There's no friction when inserting the Switch.

Good to hear this works! I've been using nickels on mine and considered heating it up but wasn't sure if it would actually work. I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!

Sent mine in earlier this week for scratch repair. I hadn't really noticed it because I never looked at it closely but the dock was definitely bent. I was smack in the middle of BotW too. Hopefully it won't take too long to get back and I have a screen protector ready to slap on there.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Good to hear this works! I've been using nickels on mine and considered heating it up but wasn't sure if it would actually work. I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the reply!

Exactly where are y'all inserting the coins? I left two extremely tight-fitting paperbacks in either end of my dock for a week, but it gradually warped back into bent position. Blargh.

So just how do you reattempt putting a screen protector on? On my third and last try with putting on screen protectors yesterday it looked fine but just now I looked at my switch and saw that tiny specs of dust are in 3 areas under the screen. Is there anything I can do that will not make is worse?

Sent mine in earlier this week for scratch repair. I hadn't really noticed it because I never looked at it closely but the dock was definitely bent. I was smack in the middle of BotW too. Hopefully it won't take too long to get back and I have a screen protector ready to slap on there.

oh boy, don't they format it? you will have to start zelda from scratch if that's the case.

Ammogeddon

Really pleased with my Orzly tempered glass screen.

I shyed away from fitting it for a few days as I'm not the best at getting them lined up and bubble/dust free.

After reading some tips and tricks about how to fit them I finally went ahead and put it on. No bubbles or dust and lined up nicely.

It has a really nice feel and looks the part too. I feel much more confident taking it out of the dock and on travels.

Qasiel

Did anyone else receive a second Orzly screen protector set?

I ordered the Orzly case from the same company on Amazon UK and it was due to turn up yesterday, but when I came home I was surprised to see a second set of screen protectors. Not sure if they'd sent out more protectors after their "parcel hiccup" or if it's an error and they've sent them instead of the case.

Skeletos311

How did you set up the repair, phone or web? Did they tell you to send the dock in too? How about the Joycons?

mrk8885

Banned
So just how do you reattempt putting a screen protector on? On my third and last try with putting on screen protectors yesterday it looked fine but just now I looked at my switch and saw that tiny specs of dust are in 3 areas under the screen. Is there anything I can do that will not make is worse?

Honestly, not much you can do. In my experience your first attempt is really your only attempt and most people tend to agree. I've never seen a reapplication look better; almost invariably collects more dust, has more bubbles, etc.

mrk8885

Banned
Happy to report my amfilm is now perfect and looks wonderful.

My first application went poorly; dust and bubbles. My own fault. My second application was ALMOST perfect but I noticed multiple small fibers under the screen. One was on the bezel so I didn't care, but then noticed one in the middle of the screen itself. Nooo.

Messaged amfilm on the recommendation of others here, and they sent me a free replacement. Finally got it right. In 2-3 days, I haven't noticed anything on my screen. Phew!

Well, after trying to unbend my dock by just putting things inside it to bend it outwards (as soon as I took them out it would snap back to bent), last night I added about ~10 minutes of hot hairdryer air to the plastic. It got noticeably warm, certainly not burning hot.

But this morning, the dock seems fine! Certainly not bent anymore. Ill have to give it some time to see if it regresses, but it looks like the magical hairdryer worked.

jackal27

Banned
Well, after trying to unbend my dock by just putting things inside it to bend it outwards (as soon as I took them out it would snap back to bent), last night I added about ~10 minutes of hot hairdryer air to the plastic. It got noticeably warm, certainly not burning hot.

But this morning, the dock seems fine! Certainly not bent anymore. Ill have to give it some time to see if it regresses, but it looks like the magical hairdryer worked.
Top level mod. There is no way they aren't going to issue a new dock if the bending situation is this bad.

Do you know how much this will cost you? Basically they are replacing the screen?

Well now I'm pretty unhappy with this whole situation
My Switch came with a shithouse left joycon and a dock that was bent up to hell
the second dock that I just received in the mail, ordered directly from Nintendo, is even worse
I don't have any scratches but that's only because I've been super careful. I'm getting really tired of this shit really quick, if my user experience with this machine doesn't improve it won't take much more for me to resolve to just sell my Switch after I finish Zelda.
I know I can get them to fix the joycon issue, but now I've got three parts that are all defective and all kind of vital to how I use this console to begin with

Well now I'm pretty unhappy with this whole situation
My Switch came with a shithouse left joycon and a dock that was bent up to hell
the second dock that I just received in the mail, ordered directly from Nintendo, is even worse
I don't have any scratches but that's only because I've been super careful. I'm getting really tired of this shit really quick, if my user experience with this machine doesn't improve it won't take much more for me to resolve to just sell my Switch after I finish Zelda.
I know I can get them to fix the joycon issue, but now I've got three parts that are all defective and all kind of vital to how I use this console to begin with

Put nickels in the top, and use a hairdryer, Ignoring the fact you are 'self-servicing' a console and how terrible it is you have to do that (I agree it is), it seems to do the trick with the dock.

Iryx

So I've been keeping my Switch in the dock since launch, only really touching it to put the joy-cons on for charging, but decided to try out handheld mode, and noticed this big mark. No idea what caused it, thought it was just dirt, but cleaning didn't do anything, so I'm assuming it's some kind of large scratch that I've somehow put on the system. Does anyone have any idea what could've caused this?

h4LtZ6m.jpg

smenden18

Neo Member
I've got a warped dock, and I called Nintendo support today to have it replaced. The first representative I talked to told me I had to send the whole system and the dock in for repair, and that they couldn't guarantee my data would be backed up. I thanked her, hung up and immediately called back and spoke with a different rep. He was happy to help and didn't understand why the previous person would've told me that, and that there wasn't a "specific knowledge article" around bent docks. As soon as I send my old one in Nintendo will be sending a replacement.

So I've been keeping my Switch in the dock since launch, only really touching it to put the joy-cons on for charging, but decided to try out handheld mode, and noticed this big mark. No idea what caused it, thought it was just dirt, but cleaning didn't do anything, so I'm assuming it's some kind of large scratch that I've somehow put on the system. Does anyone have any idea what could've caused this?

Have you tried using a damp cloth? That scratch looks different from other I have seen.

Exactly where are y'all inserting the coins? I left two extremely tight-fitting paperbacks in either end of my dock for a week, but it gradually warped back into bent position. Blargh.

That's why you need heat. Heat will allow the plastic to be bent, and when it cools, it will retain that shape. Your books should work, but shoot it with a hair dryer for a few minutes to get the plastic just a little soft.

What did you use to clean it?

I've gotten similar (though not as large) marks that would not initially wipe off, but eventually did with cleaning wipes. Took a while though. Your picture looks more like a streak than a scratch, though I'm not doubting you if you are saying it is scratched.

Iryx

What did you use to clean it?

I've gotten similar (though not as large) marks that would not initially wipe off, but eventually did with cleaning wipes. Took a while though. Your picture looks more like a streak than a scratch, though I'm not doubting you if you are saying it is scratched.

Have you tried using a damp cloth? That scratch looks different from other I have seen.

Turned out it was just dirty and not scratched.
I was just too gentle when I cleaned it the first time, took 10 minutes of hard rubbing with screen cleaner to get rid of it all.

Thanks!

Vaev

I rock a DockSock and an amFilm tempered glass.

Design oversight aside, it's a fixable problem by both non warranty DIY or Nintendo support. I don't see why people are freaking out.

Should be fixed by next revision, and hopefully they address the way the contents are shipping/packaged that causes bent docks in the first place.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Every time this thread is bumped to the top I get the sudden urge to order a screen protector from Amazon but I must stay vigilante. I told myself that I was done with screen protectors years ago and I'm gonna try to stick to it.

ZOONAMI

I rock a DockSock and an amFilm tempered glass.

Design oversight aside, it's a fixable problem by both non warranty DIY or Nintendo support. I don't see why people are freaking out.

Should be fixed by next revision, and hopefully they address the way the contents are shipping/packaged that causes bent docks in the first place.

I suppose it actually could be a mfg issue and has nothing to do with the shipping.

Xion86

So I just replaced my Hori protector with the Orzly one (which I think is better now it's on). Checked 10 times if there was any dust and kept wiping. Placed the protector down and looked great, but just one very white spec on the left side (ARGHHH), which is only noticeable on a black background (I just hate the fact that I know it's there). That's going to bug me haha, but better than the slight dust I had under the Hori.

Used the hinge and shower technique. Hinge method was brilliant, I literally ripped the cover and slapped it down quick.

krumble

Got my Orzly ones today, despite losing the first 2 packages, they resent with full tracked delivery for free and received today
Did the hinge method using the dust stickers so had it lined up properly
steamy bathroom
Lifted up, removed the old one that came with the case, cleaned with alcohol wipe, dried and wiped with supplied microfibre cloth, once happy peeled the backing and folded down on the hinge, perfect application first time, very very happy :)
Great product and great customer service!

Poppyseed

Every time this thread is bumped to the top I get the sudden urge to order a screen protector from Amazon but I must stay vigilante. I told myself that I was done with screen protectors years ago and I'm gonna try to stick to it.

Do it. I was the same way, but tempered glass protectors are not the screen protector of yesteryear. They're just superb. The Amfilm one is awesome. I didn't even use the hinge method, and just plopped it straight down on the screen. No bubbles at any point.

Poppyseed

My first amfilm failed to seal to the screen in the upper left corner, steamy shower and all.

One last shot...

The steamy bathroom may not be the best thing, as you build up condensation on the screen which the adhesive from the protector might struggle with. Just a guess. I didn't do that, and mine went down perfectly.

Got my Orzly ones today, despite losing the first 2 packages, they resent with full tracked delivery for free and received today
steamy bathroom
Lifted up, removed the old one that came with the case, cleaned with alcohol wipe, dried and wiped with supplied microfibre cloth, once happy peeled the backing and folded down on the hinge, perfect application first time, very very happy :)

Is there a video or can you kindly describe the hinge method?

The steamy bathroom may not be the best thing, as you build up condensation on the screen which the adhesive from the protector might struggle with. Just a guess. I didn't do that, and mine went down perfectly.

Yeah I even let a little steam out before plopping the screen on but maybe I'll forgo the shower this time.

Xion86

steamy bathroom

Ahh even the bathroom steamed didn't help with a troll white dust spec getting inside for me after I closed the protector down via the hinge :(. I think I'll stick with it as apart from that it went on really well. Don't want to risk lifting it up to remove the spec as I know I'll probably make it worse somehow.

You don't go in there while the steam is super thick on the air. Just enough to let any dust settle, then slap it on.

I'd just suggest the hinge for anyone having issues. Enough time to wipe the dust and slap it on.

krumble

The steam had mainly gone by the time I did it so that I could bear being in there lol

krumble

Is there a video or can you kindly describe the hinge method?

Put the screen on where I wanted it and then out the 2 stickers onto the top either side half on the screen, half wrapped around the switch, it should allow you to lift up and put the protector down onto the screen like a lid on hinges, and "should" go to the exact same place you chose the first time

https://youtu.be/dt9_fZDT-As

Above URL shows the principle on a phone

Dude Guy

My amFilm came in today and I applied it using that shower method. First time I've ever gotten a screen protector on perfectly 😂

Woah that's a biggie, curved too so I would guess maybe when it was first docked? but that seems wrong that scratch or skuff is way too big.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
That's why you need heat. Heat will allow the plastic to be bent, and when it cools, it will retain that shape. Your books should work, but shoot it with a hair dryer for a few minutes to get the plastic just a little soft.

Ah ha... I will give this a shot! Thank you.

thatJohann

My first amfilm failed to seal to the screen in the upper left corner, steamy shower and all.

One last shot...

Yeah I even let a little steam out before plopping the screen on but maybe I'll forgo the shower this time.

My amFilm came in today and I applied it using that shower method. First time I've ever gotten a screen protector on perfectly 😂

I struggled with applying the amfilm glass screen protector. Went thru both. Applied directly after unboxing new Switch. Didn't want to stick to the same two spots. I left it on after second attempt failed too with two bubbles. Later randomly as I charged the Switch and it got warm I noticed bubbles smaller then I was able to massage them and now it's fine. TLDR - warm Switch screen easier for less bubbles

ValeYard

Ahh even the bathroom steamed didn't help with a troll white dust spec getting inside for me after I closed the protector down via the hinge :(. I think I'll stick with it as apart from that it went on really well. Don't want to risk lifting it up to remove the spec as I know I'll probably make it worse somehow.

Same happened to me. The Orzly went on via hinge method pretty perfectly, sealing slowly without bubbles. One errant small strand of fabric of a hair got in there, but I'm leaving it for the moment. Even with the bathroom method, I can't seem to eradicate errant dust or hair completely. I have a cat too, but luckily no whiskers got in there :p

How do you actually get the glass protectors off anyway? Just one of the squidgy cards on the corner? I'm worried it'll scratch the screen tbh, a bit ironic in an Alanis Morisette way.

Top Bottom