• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

MouldyK

Same happened to me. The Orzly went on via hinge method pretty perfectly, sealing slowly without bubbles. One errant small strand of fabric of a hair got in there, but I'm leaving it for the moment. Even with the bathroom method, I can't seem to eradicate errant dust or hair completely. I have a cat too, but luckily no whiskers got in there :p

How do you actually get the glass protectors off anyway? Just one of the squidgy cards on the corner? I'm worried it'll scratch the screen tbh, a bit ironic in an Alanis Morisette way.

Cross Posting:

Perfect...except this hair!!!

17492573_10207282685739567_7625158922939811639_o.jpg

-demands a refund of the Switch and Screen Protector- Shoddy hardware!

I'll leave it there for 6 months.

sehui

I just called the support line asking to replace the dock, but they want both the console and the dock sent in -.-

I just want the dock replaced, should I just call back and keep asking?

Tabasco

I just called the support line asking to replace the dock, but they want both the console and the dock sent in -.-

I've read of people using a book to stretch the dock out from a crooked state, if that's the issue you have.

smenden18

Neo Member

Absolutely. Same thing happened to me so I called back and told the guy I was hoping to get a different answer. He laughed and told me he wasn't sure why I would've been told that and then got the dock replacement process going immediately. Be careful not to say anything about your console itself maybe having scratches. The second rep I talked to said that might be why the first one told me that.

sehui

Absolutely. Same thing happened to me so I called back and told the guy I was hoping to get a different answer. He laughed and told me he wasn't sure why I would've been told that and then got the dock replacement process going immediately. Be careful not to say anything about your console itself maybe having scratches. The second rep I talked to said that might be why the first one told me that.

Cool, thanks. Do they need any information on the console itself? (like serial number)? I'm calling in from work, that's why

smenden18

Neo Member
Cool, thanks. Do they need any information on the console itself? (like serial number)? I'm calling in from work, that's why

I only had the serial number of the dock on hand (I was at the office when I called). Just be patient and polite and you should be good.

Skeletos311

I just called to set up a repair for a scratched screen and bent dock. They're giving me overnight shipping, so that's nice of them.

They are having me send the screen and the dock without the Joycons, games, or SD cards. Just answering my own question.

Sargon

3 weeks out and my Orzly screen protector order still isn't here. Meanwhile it is now available through Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping... I don't know of any shipping method that takes 3+ weeks from UK to USA, so something is still fishy with this whole shipping fiasco.

Jzero

3 weeks out and my Orzly screen protector order still isn't here. Meanwhile it is now available through Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping... I don't know of any shipping method that takes 3+ weeks from UK to USA, so something is still fishy with this whole shipping fiasco.

Yep, same. They sent an email out trying to explain everything but fuck them they're still not getting a 5 star seller review.

krumble

I'm in the UK and it was only when they resent it the 3rd time with tracked shipping it actually arrived a couple of days ago after weeks delay - I think they maybe have had some warehouse issues, they were very helpful in sorting the replacements (even if I only ever received 1 order) I'd get in contact with the

I finally got my Orzly screen protector this week. It shipped out back in February. Def going to return it. Took way to long and I already bought another screen protector in the mean time and already got it before my Orzly screen protector came in.

edit: I take that back, when I requested a refund from Orzly Store. They let me keep the screen protector (even tho I don't need it) and refunded me the money.

eoa-swam

Does anyone know what happened to the Hori controller for the Switch?. I can't find anywhere selling it or even a mention about it since January.

The steamy bathroom may not be the best thing, as you build up condensation on the screen which the adhesive from the protector might struggle with. Just a guess. I didn't do that, and mine went down perfectly.

I get a spray bottle full of water and spray it in the air a lot in a closed room.

milw00kiee

Neo Member
The Amfilm one is awesome. I didn't even use the hinge method, and just plopped it straight down on the screen. No bubbles at any point.

Same. Put the amFilm one on within seconds of unpacking my Switch and I had to squeeze one bubble up the middle with the included card but it's otherwise flawless. Very pleased. And now I have a backup protector now in storage just in case I guess.

Futureman

Just got my Switch and the dock definitely seems to have a slight bend inward. Has Nintendo acknowledged this and will they send me a new one?

Biske

Just got my Switch and the dock definitely seems to have a slight bend inward. Has Nintendo acknowledged this and will they send me a new one?

If they do, whats to say it wouldn't be bent as well? I doubt its something they can really control, given the nature of how its designed. Would be kind of silly for them to send out replacement docks as all it takes its some bad shipping and, oop bent dock.

HeeHo

Honestly, putting on screen protectors is such a goddamn painful experience for every handheld device I've had. My worst is probably the DS lite. I had a few pieces of dirt and very small lint underneath the screen protectors. My best is probably the new 3DS XL. Somehow I managed to pull that off without getting anything underneath the screen.

My switch is pretty good. What I do, and it's not the best method, is when I notice there is a small hair or lint, I take a piece of tape and go to town on the underside of the screen, It is maddening and I would not recommend it. Sometimes the spot you cleaned is all good but now there is stuff on the other area you accidentally pulled up.

I had already used this method before I saw people using the amglass method. I even ordered the am glass screen protector but I eventually came to terms with how my horii turned out. The only thing wrong with it is a few bubbles on the outside of the screen but it doesn't bug me in the long run.

Futureman

If they do, whats to say it wouldn't be bent as well? I doubt its something they can really control, given the nature of how its designed. Would be kind of silly for them to send out replacement docks as all it takes its some bad shipping and, oop bent dock.

Yea... I just docked it for the first time. Downloading Zelda update and will play 30 minutes or so on TV and then I'll try handheld mode in the backyard. Interested to see if it scratches. Either way I don't think I care that much... it's a portable system and will inevitably get scratches and scuffs. Gonna go naked screen, no protection.

Biske

Yea... I just docked it for the first time. Downloading Zelda update and will play 30 minutes or so on TV and then I'll try handheld mode in the backyard. Interested to see if it scratches. Either way I don't think I care that much... it's a portable system and will inevitably get scratches and scuffs. Gonna go naked screen, no protection.

I'd highly recommend the AmFilm. Super easy to apply and works awesome.

Dremorak

Banned

My man :) Will be waiting for your update in a months time saying "Hey... I actually havent had any scratches on this thing. Maybe the whole dock thing was a bunch of hot air"

mcfly1955

Neo Member
Picked up my switch Friday -- bent dock and left joycon problem.

Since I can't really play it (sent L joycon in Saturday, ETA end of the week for receiving it back), I thought I'd tackle the bent dock problem.

I shoved a book in the dock, heated up with hair dryer for about 5 minutes...Pulled and stretched a bit then blasted with the cool setting -- definite improvement right away with the penny test....Stuffed the book back in, stuff a rolled up sock in the top of the book to overstretch it a bit -- heated and cooled -- now it's totally perfect, straight vertical and after several hours no sign of it returning to the old inward form. I'm leaving the book in all week just to be safe, but I think I'm all set. Also applied a tempered glass protector today just in case.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've been going naked without much worry, but I will be putting a screen protector on just for a bit of additional assurance.

I don't see the dock as being a major issue. Worst case scenario is the border gets scratched...the plastic rails that hold the switch into place should only ever be touching the border, so it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Still, they should have probably lined them with a soft material rather than hard plastic.

Dremorak

Banned
Picked up my switch Friday -- bent dock and left joycon problem.

Since I can't really play it (sent L joycon in Saturday, ETA end of the week for receiving it back), I thought I'd tackle the bent dock problem.

I shoved a book in the dock, heated up with hair dryer for about 5 minutes...Pulled and stretched a bit then blasted with the cool setting -- definite improvement right away with the penny test....Stuffed the book back in, stuff a rolled up sock in the top of the book to overstretch it a bit -- heated and cooled -- now it's totally perfect, straight vertical and after several hours no sign of it returning to the old inward form. I'm leaving the book in all week just to be safe, but I think I'm all set. Also applied a tempered glass protector today just in case.

Buy VOEZ :) you can play that with touchscreen only

It's been said more than enough, but amFilm is really good. I got kinda clumsy about installing it and had one bubble(?) that I couldn't get off. I decided to spend my minutes elsewhere while the Switch charged and now the bubble isn't even there.

Seik

Banned
Got my new Switch last Thursday, kept it in the box so far.

I hope that Orzly tempered glass will arrive at my job tomorrow. I'm bringing the switch and I'm keeping it in my office's desk until it arrives.

Context: I work in electronics and there's a service center with a 'white room' with absolutely no dust (to repair microscopes) where I'll go place it in a suit, gloves and glasses. This is serious business! :lol

PSFan

You... didn't watch the video? It also shows a ton of misses/close calls

So? I saw enough in the gif. They can add as many misses/close calls as they want, they are just trying to make it look more authentic. But I think it's near impossible to do that with a Switch. You realize you not only have to get it into the dock but exactly the right position so it clicks into the small USB-C plug.

I call BS on it.

Well, if you really believe it, I'd like to see a video of you doing that with your Switch before I believe it.

dem0neyes

So? I saw enough in the gif. They can add as many misses/close calls as they want, they are just trying to make it look more authentic. But I think it's near impossible to do that with a Switch. You realize you not only have to get it into the dock but exactly the right position so it clicks into the small USB-C plug.

I call BS on it.

Well, if you really believe it, I'd like to see a video of you doing that with your Switch before I believe it.

I think he was laughing b/c the guy accused you of not watching the video and calling it fake when indeed if he had watched the entire video he would have learned it actually was fake and you were right lol

Luigi87

Aside from some scuff marks that I can't buff out, there were no scratches on my Switch.

Still installed an Orzly Tempered Glass protector today.
... One TINY TINY piece of dust still snuck through <_<

Jzero

Finally got my damn Orzly order. It took for ever but the tempered glass looks nice and high quality, it even makes the scratches look less apparent.

Yeah, I just checked the order page and it now says expected by April 11. I can order one now and get it Wednesday, but no shipping label on a product ordered in Feburary. This is just like Amazon fucking up Switch preorders. Like how do I even know if I have an order being shipped?

Wagram

I've been using the foam packaging that came with the Pro controller. Fits right on there snug and I haven't had a single issue.

Top Bottom