• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Weils

Neo Member
Having a plastic screen was a bad decision. I didn't realize the Vita was plastic until I read this thread. I'm surprised mine has made it without a scratch all these years. I've been throwing that thing in my backpack when I travel.

As for the wiggle on the dock, I am basing this off of impressions in this thread. There have been some photos here and there. Until those with scratches start giving more information, we will not be able to get to the root cause. It seems like that would be a good starting point.

I'm going to put a screen protector on first thing the console reaches my hands. I'm trying the Hori 9H protector first, but I have seen majority reviews on the Amazon JP website that it peels off after applying it and slotting it into the dock. But I need more information (not docking for 24 hours after applying), then slotting in for few hours to see if it peels off by then due to the dock's heat(?). As for the dock issue, I'm going to take the advice of some of you and slowly slot in without touching the screen to the front end of the dock. If this scratching issue still crops up, then the microfiber/velcro padding on the inside will be my next step.

I'm going to put a screen protector on first thing the console reaches my hands. I'm trying the Hori 9H protector first, but I have seen majority reviews on the Amazon JP website that it peels off after applying it and slotting it into the dock. But I need more information (not docking for 24 hours after applying), then slotting in for few hours to see if it peels off by then due to the dock's heat(?). As for the dock issue, I'm going to take the advice of some of you and slowly slot in without touching the screen to the front end of the dock. If this scratching issue still crops up, then the microfiber/velcro padding on the inside will be my next step.

The 9H is the same as the Premium screen protector in the US (I believe) which I have it and it sucks. It peels off when the console gets up to operating temperature. I have heard the cheaper ones work better

mauaus

If i use double sided tape on a microfiber cloth that came with my laptop (the small squares usually included with sunglasses etc) and then cut it, would that help?

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.

Thanks for your post. Makes sense what you're saying. Going to rethink my felt tape approach.

TheFuzz

Has anyone actually been able to replicate the kind of scratches in OP? I know people have said they noticed light or hairline scratches, but anyone else's look like someone took a set of car keys to it?

I already ordered a screen protector anyway, but I just can't see how normal use would be digging into the screen like the OP.

It is funny how everybody is ignoring the USB C extension solution that the fellow gaffer posted, which is the best solution for those with bent docks so far....

Xion86

I'm quite careful placing the Switch in and out of the dock, but I've just stuck clear sticky tape on the 4 areas which come out, which gave it a smooth surface, hopefully that helps a bit.

No screen protector though, tried the one that the official case came with, ended up getting a few tiny dust particles underneath which I couldn't unsee...and got rid of it. Not used any screen protector on my 3DS or Vita, just been quite careful (only play on them at home too). I only play the Switch on the TV right now, Zelda looks gorgeous on an LG E6!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Pic for what I am describing.
6j5vFRu.jpg

Wow. Yeah, if you have one that's bent inward like that I understand how you might have issues. Mine seems very straight, and there's plenty of wiggle room. The dock doesn't tightly hug the Switch at all, as it seems some do.

MrFlooD

If i use double sided tape on a microfiber cloth that came with my laptop (the small squares usually included with sunglasses etc) and then cut it, would that help?

That's exactly what I did. Looks clean and adds almost no width to the dock.

I still find it
horrifyingly
amazing that they didn't use glass for the switch screen. How much more could it have possibly cost to use one of the older corning gorilla glass options?

I think mine is straight. When docked, the console screen has no contact with the dock. You have to be careful to dock this though.

This isn't a design flaw, this is poor manufacturing. And they sell this 90€, I still can't believe it...

marrec

Banned
I think mine is straight. When docked, the console screen has no contact with the dock. You have to be careful to dock this though.

This isn't a design flaw, this is poor manufacturing. And they sell this 90€, I still can't believe it...

I think the fact that the plastic of the dock is able to scratch the screen at all is a design flaw that could have been easily avoided.

Has anyone actually been able to replicate the kind of scratches in OP? I know people have said they noticed light or hairline scratches, but anyone else's look like someone took a set of car keys to it?

I already ordered a screen protector anyway, but I just can't see how normal use would be digging into the screen like the OP.

Greetings!

I can only tell from my experiences so far: 5 days of very frequent use, often switched between dock and portable, protected with the original Nintendo screen protector that comes with the carrying case.

No scratches.

But there is an effect, that could be compared to a smear. The dock has two little rubbers on the inside that have contact with the low left and low right corner of the screen (bezel). This causes a smear, after several dockings. It is a little harder to remove than normal fingerprints, but with a little more pressure of a lightly moist handkerchief or some screen cleaning tissue, it disappears without any remains.
So there is a light pressure to the bezel in the corners when docked. I don't know how this can cause such deep and real scratches. The material must be harder to cause this, I'd think or there must be dust between in addition? . Maybe it happens in docks with bent plastic. Mine is not bent.

It's just an extension.
There's no difference.

of course there is, there are cables and cables. we don't know if this cable is good enough to handle all the power. some usb C cables are Shitty, and others are good. there is a google engineer who has tested multiple ones and noticed significant variation among brands.

TheFuzz

Greetings!

I can only tell from my experiences so far: 5 days of very frequent use, often switched between dock and portable, protected with the original Nintendo screen protector that comes with the carrying case.

No scratches.

But there is an effect, that could be compared to a smear. The dock has two little rubbers on the inside that have contact with the low left and low right corner of the screen (bezel). This causes a smear, after several dockings. It is a little harder to remove than normal fingerprints, but with a little more pressure of a lightly moist handkerchief or some screen cleaning tissue, it disappears without any remains.
So there is a light pressure to the bezel in the corners when docked. I don't know how this can cause such deep and real scratches. The material must be harder to cause this, I'd think or there must be dust between in addition? . Maybe it happens in docks with bent plastic. Mine is not bent.

Thanks for the information. I've noticed the smears as well, but no scratches. Same exact application as you. I'm wondering if the "scratches" are a much more rare occurrence and most of the conversation is around that.

That being said, while A fraction may actually see scratches, I can see the concern and simplicity of avoiding the issue (getting a screen protector).

btrboyev

Having a plastic screen was a bad decision. I didn't realize the Vita was plastic until I read this thread. I'm surprised mine has made it without a scratch all these years. I've been throwing that thing in my backpack when I travel.

As for the wiggle on the dock, I am basing this off of impressions in this thread. There have been some photos here and there. Until those with scratches start giving more information, we will not be able to get to the root cause. It seems like that would be a good starting point.

The plastic makes it much more reliable if dropped. Which it will be.

lutheran

So it's been since yesterday and my method doesn't seem to have introduced any issue so I'll post it again in case folk want an easy solution while they wait for their protectors.

Just cut a piece of from the box where the Switch came from. I don't think it can scratch it since I'm being careful to slide the foam along with the switch when I dock/undock it. Because of the pressure, the foam have thined where the plastic tabs are so it fits just well. Doesn't seem to bend the screen side dock panel to the outide either.

Also, I don't if this makes a difference, but I made sure to put the 'soft' side of the foam on the screen, not the one with little squary thingies...just in case.

Hopefully this will do the trick until I receive my tempered glass from Orzly.

I think I may do the same thing. I am worried about heat issues with the glass or normal screen protectors. It is amazing we have to worry about this shit, between this and the joy-con issues I really can't believe how poor a job Nintendo did with quality control on this console. I get mine within the next hour from USPS, pretty psyched to play Zelda.

I have no issue with the official one by Nintendo other than it being a pain to put on without bubbles.

The PDP one? I got that one at launch, and it had some weird stuff on it. Not the normal air bubbles but... something. I was extremely careful and there was no dust on the screen. It could have been a bad one or something though.

spekkeh

Banned
10 is many. A few is 3 or 4.
We don't even know whether the dock causes it though. Some people noted scratches after a few days and assume it's the dock. For all we know Blunty's cat mauled his Switch when he was away.

Its probably the dock, but still, it seems really isolated. I'm feeling like I spooked myself for nothing.

Thanks for the information. I've noticed the smears as well, but no scratches. Same exact application as you. I'm wondering if the "scratches" are a much more rare occurrence and most of the conversation is around that.

That being said, while A fraction may actually see scratches, I can see the concern and simplicity of avoiding the issue (getting a screen protector).

I've noticed these smudges as well. I'm starting to suspect the scratches are coming from dirt or dust that gets stuck to the rubber piece in the dock. The increased pressure caused by the rubber on the the screen, in addiction to a hard piece of dirt, seems like the perfect recipe to scratch the screen.

well, we don't know if that is safe or not.

Doesn't the dock prevent too much power passing through the cable? Since the dock is connected to a power outlet via an adapter that regulates the voltage and amps going into the dock. So wouldn't that mean the USB-C cable would never pass too much power (which could harm the battery) to the Switch?

Another question is whether a USB-C cable can actually transfer the signal the Switch sends out to the dock. In a video on YouTube - which was shared in this thread earlier - a guy disassembled a dock and concluded that the USB-C female might not be according to the USB-C spec.

Also if I got my info right, (I browsed some websites on this topic, I didn't read the actual USB-C spec) the female is always supposed to be part of a device, and should never be part of a cable. Which means a cable with a female lead is never USB-C compliant (I might be wrong, though). So you would actually need need to connect the female lead of a USB-C adapter in the dock. And connect the Switch to male lead of the adapter - or something like that.

Does anyone per chance know whether a Switch in a BigBen Hard Plastic body will still fit in its dock? On their website it says that it allows for full Switch functionality. And it seems very thin. I should get it tomorrow. My Switch still looks mint. But I feel uncomfortable sliding it in and out of his dock. So this might be a solution. Acc. to a video from DF, Switch produces a max of 50 degrees Celsius - If I recall correctly - that shouldn't melt a plastic case, right?

We don't even know whether the dock causes it though. Some people noted scratches after a few days and assume it's the dock. For all we know Blunty's cat mauled his Switch when he was away.

Its probably the dock, but still, it seems really isolated. I'm feeling like I spooked myself for nothing.

Idk....there's multiple people in this thread with very feint scratches in the same spot as Blunty's Switch. Always on the bezel area. It might just be a defective batch of consoles. I'd like a statement from Nintendo regarding it.

ggx2ac

Something funny just happened.

It turns out my Switch doesn't have any scratches at all.

I mentioned seeing white streaks along the bezel and also causing white streaks to appear when I used my cleaning cloth which I got from Club Nintendo years ago.

I checked my Switch again and noticed it was getting dust but couldn't clean it off. So I grabbed these Windex Electronics Wipes I bought two days ago and cleaned the screen with it. After I dried it off with the cleaning cloth but more carefully this time, I noticed that the white streaks are gone.

My screen is spotless, I couldn't see any scratches anywhere.

I even looked at the imprint of the rubber pads on the screen again to see how much space they cover up because again, I find the article in the OP suspicious.

I'll repost what I said earlier:

The problem I am having with the article in the OP is: http://www.glixel.com/news/youre-going-to-want-a-screen-protector-for-your-nintendo-switch-w470245

The culprit? Sliding it in and out of the hard plastic dock. If you gently slide it in and "miss" the USB-C prong, juggling the device into the slot (even carefully) eventually scrapes it against the hard insides of the dock, resulting in little hairline scratches that start to build up over time. There's no insulation or padding on the inside of the dock – so nothing protects the screen if you're clumsy.

closeup-1fedcf66-5748-48df-b28d-39469fae0ea1.jpg

I'm finding those scratches hard to believe, they are very deep and apparently, they were caused by the Switch wobbling when trying to set it onto the USB-C slot.

There are rubber pads at the bottom of the inside of the dock so if scratches did occur, there shouldn't be one where there is a scratch in the middle of that pic.

The cause would have to be from some other part of the dock or something else.

If this apparently only took a week, we should see someone able to replicate it in the next week or so to give the same scratches.

---------

Now, I question whether the people that wrote that article are truthful about what caused those scratches. I can't prove that they are lying, all I am saying is that they can't be right about the cause of those scratches.

It would be funny if that article in the OP was done on purpose for clicks, it did get a lot of attention here.

But I'm just stating a hypothetical which I can't prove so relax before you jump on me.

Point is, I already gave my reasons above what I found problematic with the article.

Now, the bent inward dock, (or at an angle inward dock) is a different matter entirely. Maybe that causes the same scratches that happened for me which are removable with wipes for electronics or, they could actually be defective and be causing a lot of friction from squeezing onto the Switch and leaving very deep and damaging scratches.

It would help that if someone does happen to have very damaging scratches on their Switch that couldn't be cleaned off, then seeing if the dock being angled inward was the cause would help figure some things out.

vgamer1

My dock is definitely bent. It's almost impossible to dock it without the plastic rails touching the screen the entire way down.

ggx2ac

Oh, so just to repeat. If you have any of those white streaks you see where it's only visible when reflected off light, it's possible to clean them off. Those probably aren't scratches.

I used Windex Electronics Wipes since water wasn't enough to clean it off when it appeared the first time. You'd probably need a cloth still to dry off the screen because the wipes are large.

Ggx is still at it, yeah?

Guys, please stop deliberately scratching your consoles. Not just the OP, but the handful of other people who have also had issues, cut it out. Nintendo has made the best gaming product ever and it is flawless (I mean, HE has no scratches so the problem does not exist) and it really really doesn't need fake news dragging it down.

And those pictures of bent docks are faker news. Ppl using heat guns to bend them to create controversy. Like my brother apparently did to his.

Raven117

Gold Member

Guys, please stop deliberately scratching your consoles. Not just the OP, but the handful of other people who have also had issues, cut it out. Nintendo has made the best gaming product ever and it is flawless (I mean, HE has no scratches so the problem does not exist) and it really really doesn't need fake news dragging it down.

And those pictures of bent docks are faker news. Ppl using heat guns to bend them to create controversy. Like my brother apparently did to his.

What?

Raven117

Gold Member
Im not sure that it is...but I guess re-reading it, it might be.

I do want a solution to this though. Is just a simple screen protector going to get the job done?

Seik

Banned

Nice post.

While I can TOTALLY understand that some docks can cause this issue, the specific photo from that article in OP shows that the scratches are at the bottom left of the Switch, where the little rubber pads are on the dock.

How can those scratch the screen like that? I mean unless you work in a glass factory and you were cutting hot glass that incrusted themselves in the rubber because you had the dock near you, or if those were exposed to heavy amounts of dust, I can't see how these rubber pads can cause so much damage.

However I can understand how bent docks can damage the top sides of the screen, absolutely. It's the scratches in OP's pic that I can't wrap my head around.

Don't jump on me either, I'm not pushing the blame on the consumer, I just want to understand how such damage could've been done because it doesn't make sense to me.

Dude....EDIT: Oh ok you were sarcastic. :lol

^He's posted the same crap three times now, insinuating some kind of user error when there's an extremely simple and reasonable assumption as to how that damage was caused. We've seen it already, and yet he felt the need to quote himself yet again. I wonder why.
Im not sure that it is...but I guess re-reading it, it might be.

I do want a solution to this though. Is just a simple screen protector going to get the job done?
100% sarcasm.

My brother put a screen protector on his AND shoved some remotes into the dock to bend it until it was straight. I'll report if it gets any scratches whenever he's brave enough to dock it.

tommyguns

This is exactly what I did. I have not put the system in the dock yet but will attempt tonight.

Only did the front rails that would be against the screen...Not the back side.

Top Bottom